Metal Storm logo
Most influential metal female

Original post

Posted by , 12.07.2007 - 21:30
i want to know which female in metal everyone thinks did the most for the genre they cover... i tried to find a thread like this, but couldnt, i hope this isnt a double. i find it realllllly odd that noone ever mentions Rachel Heyzer, who was in sinister and occult. i think she really holds her own among the men of the genre (which are of course plentiful)... so what does everyone think? which female did the most, or is the most talented in your opinion, of your favorite genre??
19.05.2012 - 09:49
Night Sight

In singing way i think sharon den adel and tarja turunen most of the female singers in gothic/power/symphonic genres influenced by them
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
19.05.2012 - 15:39
Thrashette

I would say Sabina Classen because she was doing harsh vocals long before Angela and many others, and her band's still going strong even today. Doro is more popular, but the most famous female metal vocalists nowadays are doing either growls or opera. Angela's the first one to come to so many minds only because her band is so popular right now. All she's really done is happen to be the vocalist of a popular metal band for a few great albums, nothing too influential or innovative even though she is a good vocalist...
For operatic vocals specifically, I would say Tarja or Liv Kristine. Nightwish seems to have way more clones but Theatre of Tragedy released their debut first and I would say it was a much better album than Angels Fall First. And if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Tarja considers Liv to be one of her favourite vocalists... Though I will admit that Liv kind of seems like the dumb blonde of metal, as much as I love her vocals lol
13.06.2012 - 11:13
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Thrashette on 19.05.2012 at 15:39

I would say Sabina Classen because she was doing harsh vocals long before Angela and many others,

I think Dawn Crosby pre-dates Sabina Classen. I could be wrong, though.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
13.06.2012 - 12:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Though I will admit that Liv kind of seems like the dumb blonde of metal, as much as I love her vocals lol

That's just based on her looks or what?
Well, I love her voice and the first three TOT albums are masterpieces of gothic metal. I'm not a fan of female vocals (specially "operatic" ones) but there's something about Liv's angelic voice that I simply adore. Musically I only like Theatre Of Tragedy out of her other bands.

Written by M C Vice on 13.06.2012 at 11:13

I would say Sabina Classen because she was doing harsh vocals long before Angela and many others,

I think Dawn Crosby pre-dates Sabina Classen. I could be wrong, though.

They seem to be around in the same era. Sabina's band Holy Moses was formed a few years before Detente but their debuts came out at the same time so it's a tie to me. I don't know Holy Moses at all but I really enjoy what I've heard drom Dawn Crosby's bands. I only own Fear Of God's debut and daaaamn, brilliant vocals and interesting take on thrash, quite a gothic vibe on it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.06.2012 - 15:45
Slayer666

Most influential metal female? Why, our dear Mora, of course.
13.06.2012 - 23:54
Thrashette

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.06.2012 at 12:53

Though I will admit that Liv kind of seems like the dumb blonde of metal, as much as I love her vocals lol

Well, I love her voice and the first three TOT albums are masterpieces of gothic metal. I'm not a fan of female vocals (specially "operatic" ones) but there's something about Liv's angelic voice that I simply adore. Musically I only like Theatre Of Tragedy out of her other bands.

Hahah She does indeed kinda look like one, but no.... I was pretty sure she got that reputation because of this? http://www.metalsucks.net/2009/11/03/top-5-reasons-why-liv-kristine-can-suck-it/ Or people don't know about that instance as well as I seem to think they do lol
I don't like melodic metal anywhere near as much as I used to, but Theatre of Tragedy's early stuff and Leaves' Eyes are both among the bit of melodic metal that I still enjoy. I even like some of Liv's solo stuff...
14.06.2012 - 00:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Thrashette on 13.06.2012 at 23:54

Hahah She does indeed kinda look like one, but no.... I was pretty sure she got that reputation because of this? http://www.metalsucks.net/2009/11/03/top-5-reasons-why-liv-kristine-can-suck-it/ Or people don't know about that instance as well as I seem to think they do lol
I don't like melodic metal anywhere near as much as I used to, but Theatre of Tragedy's early stuff and Leaves' Eyes are both among the bit of melodic metal that I still enjoy. I even like some of Liv's solo stuff...

Huh, Oh well. I personally heard worse. To me it just looks like something she might have said with far better intentions and used the wrong words so she got flamed for that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.06.2012 - 00:17
Thrashette

Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.06.2012 at 00:10

Huh, Oh well. I personally heard worse. To me it just looks like something she might have said with far better intentions and used the wrong words so she got flamed for that.

Yea, I'm sure she meant well and I can see where she's coming from or what she actually meant to say... It's just a matter of being careful about what one says on the internet where many people look at things as critically as possible
14.06.2012 - 05:43
Iriki

Is Wendy O' Williams considered metal? Sure she's punk, but she also were very influential at her time, including metal scene.
14.06.2012 - 14:34
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Slayer666 on 13.06.2012 at 15:45

Most influential metal female? Why, our dear Mora, of course.

I came in to post the exact same thing.
----
7.0 means the album is good
01.07.2012 - 09:16
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Iriki on 14.06.2012 at 05:43

Is Wendy O' Williams considered metal? Sure she's punk, but she also were very influential at her time, including metal scene.

She wouldn't sound out of place in black metal. Have you heard her and Motorhead covering Stand By Your Man?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.07.2012 - 21:41
Windir

Here she is, and she's made of metal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_migLQ802Go

...now seriously, I would say Anneke Van Giersbergen for the audacity of replacing a death growler by female vocals. After that (and I'm not saying she was the first one) there were and there still are metal females everywhere.
06.11.2014 - 20:43
Wukk

Does Sharon Osbourne count?
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
09.11.2014 - 23:48
Susan
Smeghead

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.06.2012 at 12:53

Wow that article is BRILLIANT! I mean, yeah, Liv DOES come across as kinda dumb already but WOW. After reading her article I was still pretty floored. The response was perfect!! LOL
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
09.11.2014 - 23:50
Susan
Smeghead
And getting myself back on topic, I'd say Doro. Her records don't sell as much as others, or as much as they used to, but OTHER women in metal use her as the Street Cred O' Meter. Ever notice how other female vocalists LOVE to post pics of themselves with Doro, or have her guest on their albums? They think it says, "hey, I'm so badass that DORO approves!"

Not saying this is good or bad. Just an observation Doro rocks.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs