Metal Storm logo
Best Metal Record Label

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 13.07.2007 - 23:05
So I was thinking, what is the best Metal Record label out there? All of the above mentioned labels have reputations for being influential to the metal scene. For example Earache has sponsored numerous Grindcore and Death Metal Bands such as Carcass and Napalm Death, therefore they are kind of seen as a pioneering grind/death label. Relapse is the Label that Nasum comes from.

I guess what it really comes down to is the label that has your favorite bands on it. I used to be a huge Centery Media fan, because they had Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Arch Enemy, and alot of other good bands. But I realised that there is alot better out there as far as labels go. So, how bout you guys? (sorry if I missed any other important labels)

Oh and by the way, I hate Roadrunner, but they have some great bands signed to them, Like Megadeth, Dream Theater, 3 Inches of Blood, Opeth etc. So that's why they are up there.

Poll

Which of these is your prefered metal Record Label?

Nuclear Blast
Other
Metal Blade
Relapse
Spinefarm
Century Media
Road Runner
Earache

Total votes: 131
16.02.2009 - 01:26
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2009 at 20:40

Written by Arian Totalis on 15.02.2009 at 20:17

Yeah, after the Death Metal community caught a bunch of international crap then people started seeing them as "dangerous" and "evil". This also made them a business/investment risk, so roadrunner cut off all of their DM bands and signed on New ones. I do believe suffocation got their start on Roadrunner. Now....well now Roadrunner sucks.

You are a Megadeth and Dream Theater fan, right?

Yes, I am, and I even like both of their newest albums

However, that doesn't change the fact that Raodrunner lost alo of the quality that it once had, and is now more in favor of commercial gain raher than the promotion of good metal.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
16.02.2009 - 07:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 16.02.2009 at 01:26

However, that doesn't change the fact that Raodrunner lost alo of the quality that it once had, and is now more in favor of commercial gain raher than the promotion of good metal.

They were actually ALWAYS in favor of commercial gain, even when they started out. The first band they released was The Nylons. The way you describe Roadrunner sounds exactly like labels as Century Media and Nuclear Blast as well.

As for good metal? Just because you don't like it it is immediately not good?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2009 - 07:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.02.2009 at 07:10

They were actually ALWAYS in favor of commercial gain, even when they started out. The first band they released was The Nylons. The way you describe Roadrunner sounds exactly like labels as Century Media and Nuclear Blast as well.

The Nylons?! Hahaha, I think they actually did a performance at my school when I was in elementary school, and I was living in a really small town at the time, so that should give you some idea of how bad they were.

If we are thinking of the same band. The a cappella group from Toronto?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.02.2009 - 07:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Doc G. on 16.02.2009 at 07:24

The Nylons?! Hahaha, I think they actually did a performance at my school when I was in elementary school, and I was living in a really small town at the time, so that should give you some idea of how bad they were.

I think we are. I was talking about this album http://www.musicmeter.nl/album/22626
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2009 - 07:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

I see THREE of their albums were released by Roadrunner http://www.discogs.com/artist/Nylons,+The
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2009 - 07:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.02.2009 at 07:27

I see THREE of their albums were released by Roadrunner http://www.discogs.com/artist/Nylons,+The

Lol, yup. They performed "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" in the school gym, my grade 3 class was doing the backing vocals, they brought all the parents in and everything for it. What'dya know? At the age of 8 I was already performing with famous musicians

In their defence though, my town was only a 2-3 hour drive from Toronto, so it probably was some charitable type act while on a small tour and I guess we weren't too out of the way. I think they participating in some local festival/carnival celebration on the waterfront in my town that night anyways.

EDIT: Yes, and even back then I thought they were garbage.
----
- George Carlin
16.02.2009 - 16:29
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher

Written by Arian Totalis on 16.02.2009 at 01:26

However, that doesn't change the fact that Raodrunner lost alot of the quality that it once had, and is now more in favor of commercial gain raher than the promotion of good metal.

...intresting bit of information. I always thought that they had started off as a primarily Death Metal Label. So that comes as a bit of a suprise to me. And no, Just because I don't like something that doesn't make it not good, but I can still identify good/bad metal when I hear it, and yes, I DO call certain metal bands i'm not entirely fond of "Talented" or "Worthwhile musically" but i'll also clearify that it's not my cup of tea. There are other bands though to where, well, they just suck. Fans only tend to be highschool kids stuck in a trend, they're not musically competent, they aim toward commercial gain etc. that's the type of Metal that ISN'T good, imo. (keep in mind, imo)
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

16.02.2009 - 17:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 16.02.2009 at 16:29

...intresting bit of information. I always thought that they had started off as a primarily Death Metal Label. So that comes as a bit of a suprise to me.

I think that the first metal artist that signed to RR was Mercyful Fate, but I am not sure though. All I know is that MF signed to Roadrunner in June 1983. AT the time they primarily released stuff from the US under license for Europe. My Metallica vinyl (first three) and Slayer (first two) are all on Roadrunner Records.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.02.2009 - 17:40
brapp32
Roadrunner Records-Slipknot,Machinehead,Chimaira,Fear Factory,Spineshank,Dry Kill Ligic,American Head Charge,Coal Chamber,Devildriver,Soulfly,Sepultura,CKY,Hatebreed,Kill Switch Engage,36 Crazyfists and Ill Nino
16.02.2009 - 18:24
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.02.2009 at 17:31

...intresting bit of information. I always thought that they had started off as a primarily Death Metal Label. So that comes as a bit of a suprise to me.

I think that the first metal artist that signed to RR was Mercyful Fate, but I am not sure though. All I know is that MF signed to Roadrunner in June 1983. AT the time they primarily released stuff from the US under license for Europe. My Metallica vinyl (first three) and Slayer (first two) are all on Roadrunner Records.

So their early record deals were mostly heavy/ Thrash?

Something I found ammusing, as a side note; I was looking at my girlfriend's copy of Slayer;reign in blood and Appearently it was released under Def Jam records
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

16.02.2009 - 18:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 16.02.2009 at 18:24

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.02.2009 at 17:31

So their early record deals were mostly heavy/ Thrash?

Something I found ammusing, as a side note; I was looking at my girlfriend's copy of Slayer;reign in blood and Appearently it was released under Def Jam records

Yes the early deals were mostly heavy/thrash and then they moved on to Obituary Deicide Suffocation Gorguts etc.

About Slayer yep that was released on Def Jam. A bit later Rick Rubin split from Def Jam taking Slayer along and forming Def American.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.02.2009 - 04:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
The fact that Roadrunner is a division of Warner should be evidence enough what that label is all about.
----
- George Carlin
20.02.2009 - 15:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2009 at 04:14

The fact that Roadrunner is a division of Warner should be evidence enough what that label is all about.

They've only been an INDEPENDENT division of Warnewr for about three years now. That's how they got Dream Theater, cause Warner wanted a subdivision which primarily focused on metal and that's why they bought Roadrunner.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.11.2012 - 09:30
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I would have to choose Nuclear Blast. Despite the copyright bullshit whenever I try to upload something of theirs on Youtube, I believe the bands they have are of the best quality (Amorphis, Wintersun, and Blind Guardian among others). Century Media used to have many of my favorite bands signed, but they all basically left. They are still a good label though.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
29.11.2012 - 14:01
ANGEL REAPER
Is it just me or Nuclear Blast ruin every band once they sign them ?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
29.11.2012 - 15:03
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Well I have never cared for metal labels so I voted other, should I care from now on?
29.11.2012 - 17:56
Lit.
Account deleted
I have no fucking idea.
29.11.2012 - 23:25
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Guest on 29.11.2012 at 15:03

... should I care from now on?

I guess you should. For example, I dig at least 80% of what Inside Out puts out, so when they sign a new band, I pay attention.

Also... why do people vote for Nuclear Blast? They only sign the biggest bands, in the moment when they become big. Not a lot of surprises in their catalog, and since a lot of bands reach their high points before they're signed to NB, it's mostly all downhill from there. And the way they promote bands is kind of annoying, though I can't put my finger on what annoys me.
----
7.0 means the album is good
11.12.2012 - 11:20
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Quote:
Written by Milena on 29.11.2012 at 23:25

Also... why do people vote for Nuclear Blast? They only sign the biggest bands, in the moment when they become big. Not a lot of surprises in their catalog, and since a lot of bands reach their high points before they're signed to NB, it's mostly all downhill from there. And the way they promote bands is kind of annoying, though I can't put my finger on what annoys me.

Despite their insane copyright infringement hounding on Youtube, I actually really like a lot of the bands that Nuclear Blast signs and I think the records coming out under that label are very good too. I was thinking about voting for Century Media, since many of my favorite bands were once signed to that label (Blind Guardian, Opeth, Ulver, etc.) but not anymore. Maybe I should have voted based on that, but oh well, I really do like Nuclear Blast's current artists and albums, and I don't really like many of the current Century Media artists anyway.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
11.12.2012 - 11:45
IronAngel
I'm a Finnish doom fan, so the obvious first choice that comes to mind is Firebox Records. I'm also a hipster and a poser, so Profound Lore and Southern Lord releases usually pique my interest. I don't really have a "favorite" label, though. I don't pay much attention to their business decisions, and I've never done the math on which labels have the most or highest percentage of good bands.

Of bigger labels (though I don't actually know what's big and what's not), Peaceville and Earache seem to have good quality.
05.04.2013 - 12:43
scrambles
Does anybody know of anywhere where you can read about labels and their histories (which bands they've signed, when they've signed them, when they've dropped them, overall trends in labels' careers, and so on), or am i just daydreaming here? i know Terrorizer just put out a Secret History of Earache, but i haven't read it yet.
05.04.2013 - 21:24
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Where is Napalm? They have many good Austrian and international artists, like Xandria, Summoning, Diabulus in Música, Fairyland, Edenbridge.
06.04.2013 - 00:48
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Some awesome labels have been mentioned, lots of labels with long lists of great bands. Yet, for me, the most CONSISTENTLY amazing label, the label with a great mix of creative bands, and the label from whom I cannot recall ever hearing a less than stellar band is: Season Of Mist.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
06.04.2013 - 01:43
Sean 79
I think Metal Blade have released far less awful shit than any other. Nuclear Blast have released some amazing albums but the amount of shit on that label is staggering!
06.04.2013 - 13:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Susan on 06.04.2013 at 00:48

Some awesome labels have been mentioned, lots of labels with long lists of great bands. Yet, for me, the most CONSISTENTLY amazing label, the label with a great mix of creative bands, and the label from whom I cannot recall ever hearing a less than stellar band is: Season Of Mist.

Season Of MIst have gone totally mediocre. They used to be good though. But currently they release quite some crap. The worst being Rage Nucleaire.
Crap bands I can think of without even searching that are on that label besides Rage Nucleaire are ETHS, Engel, Seth, Ken Mode and of course current day Morbid Angel
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.04.2013 - 13:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by IronAngel on 11.12.2012 at 11:45
I'm also a hipster and a poser, so Profound Lore and Southern Lord releases usually pique my interest. I don't really have a "favorite" label, though. I don't pay much attention to their business decisions, and I've never done the math on which labels have the most or highest percentage of good bands.

That's basically where I stand as well... Oh, and Firebox does have some nice things too. Find it a bit funny that I discovered one of my favorite bands there (Mar De Grises) whoa re from Chile.

Fromt he ones on the list... I think I like Relapse the most.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.04.2013 - 18:44
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.04.2013 at 13:04

Season Of MIst have gone totally mediocre. They used to be good though. But currently they release quite some crap. The worst being Rage Nucleaire.
Crap bands I can think of without even searching that are on that label besides Rage Nucleaire are ETHS, Engel, Seth, Ken Mode and of course current day Morbid Angel

Really? That's so incredibly sad! I have not heard any of these bands you mentioned. Maybe I should avoid them and keep my impeccable opinion of SoM intact I just know that every time I DO hear one of their bands (one that is new to me) it's always amazing music and I'm like, "duh... it's SoM!"

Plus, they have Silent Stream Of Godless Elegy, which is major points from me! Maybe they'll dump any mediocre bands and go back to being amazing?? One can dream....
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
06.04.2013 - 18:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin

SOM was the first place i went as well.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.04.2013 - 05:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
At least no one has said The End. Although Peaceville was mentioned a couple of times.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.07.2013 - 21:09
JD
Account deleted
Grindbor Records