Metal Storm logo
Atheism

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 13.07.2007 - 23:17
So, on another thread a few metalstromers and I got into a convo about Atheism, however that was, I must admit, just a little bit off topic. So I decided to make a thread about it.

Atheism goes alot Deeper than most people realize, and is more than the simple idea of "there is no god/s, and when you're dead you're dead." There are a number of different atheist philosophy's and these are all widely practiced across the world. For example, "Epicurianism" was an ancient greek belief that since there was no god/s, you should live each day like it's your last, because this is the only life you have, and every day could very well be your last.

So when you come to this discussion, tell us, are you an atheist? What are your general thougts on atheism? Do you find it intresting? Let's make it a good conversation people.

also, here are some links
Atheism- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
Epicurianism- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicurianism
31.07.2007 - 03:07
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 30.07.2007 at 20:16

Written by Arian Totalis on 13.07.2007 at 23:17

So, on another thread a few metalstromers and I got into a convo about Atheism, however that was, I must admit, just a little bit off topic. So I decided to make a thread about it.

Atheism goes alot Deeper than most people realize, and is more than the simple idea of "there is no god/s, and when you're dead you're dead." There are a number of different atheist philosophy's and these are all widely practiced across the world. For example, "Epicurianism" was an ancient greek belief that since there was no god/s, you should live each day like it's your last, because this is the only life you have, and every day could very well be your last.

So when you come to this discussion, tell us, are you an atheist? What are your general thougts on atheism? Do you find it intresting? Let's make it a good conversation people.

also, here are some links
Atheism- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
Epicurianism- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicurianism

It is fantastic, that someone knows epicurianism!
Yes, i live everyday as it was my last, knowing, that since there are no gods, there is no chance of Reincarnation/Afterlife.And thus, when you're dead, you're dead - simple as that.
I suggest everyone to read about it (Link provided in the quote above)

heh, happy to help
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.08.2007 - 19:29
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I consider myself to be an spiritual atheist, as I do not accept the idea of some being's divinity over the others and I do not recognise the divinity of any "gods" though I don't know whether some beings who are revered as gods by human beings exist, but I do believe in the reincarnation, and I think that the existence (or divinity) of "gods" and the belief in reincarnation are not dependent on each other. The best example would be Buddhist school of thought which believes in reincarnation, but not in gods. I believe that the "gods" were probably a different type of creatures (of possibly extra terrestrial origin, or maybe somekind of spirit beings), but I do not regognise their divinity ( I have explained my views on the subjects of "gods" and their divinity in church burning and ancient astronauts topics). Also I'd say that ignorance may be a bliss, but it's also kind of boring to restrict yourself from thinking about these subjects so I'd rather not choose "bliss". Anyway, another of the lesser known Ancient Greek schools of philosophy who held atheistic beliefs were the cynics, who were also similarily to epicureans less dull then the better known Greek philosophers.
05.08.2007 - 07:05
Hyvaarin

Why do you believe in reincarnation?
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
08.08.2007 - 23:05
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Good question, though my answer would be of somewhat lesser quality. I just feel that way, though it could really be just a way my mind tries to deal with mortality by creating these false beliefs in reincarnation. Maybe I'll answer that question after I have thought it over, though I'm quite unsure whether it would be too offtopic to post it here or not.
12.08.2007 - 12:05
CrownOf10Horns

atheism....I've known people to be atheistic, and they all seemed to be way pessimistic. I know not every atheist is gonna be like that; maybe these few I've known just had some faith-killing events occur in their lives.

I don't know if there's any traditional kind of god out there, but I believe in a pan-dimensional force that lives on in every chemical process. For example I believe that, as a computer is to data, nature stores information in the form of chemicals, or more specifically, naturally occuring drugs and other such medicines.
I guess you could label me as one of those tree-hugging hippy wannabes....though that'd be kind of fucked up. No, I don't subscribe to the notion of Gaia or whatever. There is, in my mind however, some spiritual thing going on in the universe. It could just be simplified as brainwaves bouncing back from somewhere infinitely far away I suppose, but how romantic would that be?

If there was a god so conceited as to demand worship, I think it'd say something along the lines of "Hey you down there, I could really mess you up with leprosy or something, so pray to me and be glad I don't, unless I'm comically fickle and decide to kill off everyone in your family except for you just to prove a point."
----
Just another mouth to feed.
12.08.2007 - 15:48
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
well im atheist, what kind well hmm i don't belive in god's i belive something could be somewhere outthere but god in the way that all religions presenting him, maybe some aliens or somethign, jus thrs no god for me ......
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
18.08.2007 - 02:47
SteelScream
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 05.08.2007 at 07:05

Why do you believe in reincarnation?

You see, i don't, but i may answer this question (because i'm drunk - bare with me).
Religion is like a source of hope, you believe in something so hard, that it makes your life easier.
Thus believing in Reincarnation, takes away your fear of death. That is the reason why most people do suicide (some of them are mentally challenge [suicide is no way of getting out]) but some believe in it so hard, that suicide seems like a fly on their shoulder.

Got a little closer to understanding ? (Ask me when i'm sober )
18.08.2007 - 12:49
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
I believe in reincarnation. It's an unprovable concept obviously but it's just something that I've started to believe in. I don't think it takes away the fear of death because you don't know who/what you'll come back as.

You can't dismiss the idea that we may be reincarnated or that there is a god as delusional because people take comfort in the idea that death isn't the end because you can take comfort in the belief that death IS the end.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
26.09.2007 - 02:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok ppl i had quasten, you who are Atheists, whats a reason to your life/existence?
If there are no god, no soul and nothing after your death, whats a reason to your life?
In Cristianity, there are paradise and hell, paganism Valhalla, and such thinks, ppl belive there be otherlife, immortal life, but in your case, whats then?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.09.2007 - 02:28
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, I am not an atheist, but I am sure that the majority of them believe that they should live this life to the fullest while they have it, and then accept death with a resignative grace.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

26.09.2007 - 07:27
Hyvaarin

Written by Bad English on 26.09.2007 at 02:02

Ok ppl i had quasten, you who are Atheists, whats a reason to your life/existence?
If there are no god, no soul and nothing after your death, whats a reason to your life?
In Cristianity, there are paradise and hell, paganism Valhalla, and such thinks, ppl belive there be otherlife, immortal life, but in your case, whats then?

Survive and replicate, grow and enjoy.
----
26.09.2007 - 16:22
Damnated
Churchburner

atheism is about not believing in a god. it's not about not believing in a soul.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
26.09.2007 - 19:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 26.09.2007 at 16:22

atheism is about not believing in a god. it's not about not believing in a soul.

One Ateist say he dontbelive into nothing even soul
----

apos;'
[image]
26.09.2007 - 20:42
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 26.09.2007 at 19:26

Written by Damnated on 26.09.2007 at 16:22

One Ateist say he dontbelive into nothing even soul

one belief can exist without the other.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.09.2007 - 14:52
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by EddieGunner on 12.08.2007 at 15:48

well im atheist, what kind well hmm i don't belive in god's i belive something could be somewhere outthere but god in the way that all religions presenting him, maybe some aliens or somethign, jus thrs no god for me ......

wouldn't that make you agnostic
28.09.2007 - 16:04
Hyvaarin

You can be agnostic and an atheist at the same time.
----
28.09.2007 - 23:46
Asphyxia
Account deleted

Well, there honestly isn't a reason for living. You simply live as a product of the existence of life. Earth is a small planet in our universe which sprang life, and this life was fused into you through the reproduction of organisms, evolution and so on. I don't think I am part of something big, I'm just an organism living on Earth, you know? I have no soul, no disconnected 'mind', just a body with a brain in it.

EDIT: I think religion came about as a result of our intelligence, we have created our own reasons for being in order to feel secure, because we are the only organisms intelligent enough to think about these things.
28.09.2007 - 23:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 28.09.2007 at 23:46

I have no soul, no disconnected 'mind', just a body with a brain in it.

If you have no soul only organism how can you write it, say your opinium, and do otherthinks, be YOU!?
----

apos;'
[image]
28.09.2007 - 23:54
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 28.09.2007 at 23:51

Written by Guest on 28.09.2007 at 23:46

I have no soul, no disconnected 'mind', just a body with a brain in it.

If you have no soul only organism how can you write it, say your opinium, and do otherthinks, be YOU!?

Well, what you would call a soul, I would call my personality, the way my brain works, things like that.
29.09.2007 - 06:55
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@K7: from a sheeryly physical viewpoint, what makes a person a unique individual is the enlargement of the cerebral cortex, and the effects of the environments surounding the individual, not neceserrily a soul.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

30.09.2007 - 03:58
ChasingEuphoria
Account deleted
well i have to say im agnostic. i used to be a full atheist, but since we will never know for sure if theres god or if there isnt, then i guess i need to be openminded and accept the possibilty of higher power.

i believe that we should live each day to its fullest. I dont think i need a bible or a koran to know what is right to do and what are wrong things to do.
01.10.2007 - 06:46
Zombie, M.D.

@K7 -

I don't see why you need a soul or god to have a purpose to live? I don't believe in any of that stuff, but I continue living because I simply enjoy being alive. Sure, sometimes it can be shitty but there are little moments that make living worth it. Jamming with some friends, reading a great book, looking out the window on a lazy day, hearing a new band that completely blows your mind or whatever gets you off. I don't need a promise of "something more/something better" after I die and I honestly don't understand why anyone does.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
02.10.2007 - 16:38
Woutjinho
Account deleted
yey atheism. for a better world
no war, no blood spilled, no discrimination and no money spilled
02.10.2007 - 18:31
Pinusar
Account deleted

Good question. But for example, you reach paradise, then what? Won't it be a similar situation like now for the ones that don't believe into soul etc. What would be the purpose to live then in paradise?
02.10.2007 - 18:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 01.10.2007 at 06:46

@K7 -

I don't see why you need a soul or god to have a purpose to live? I don't believe in any of that stuff, but I continue living because I simply enjoy being alive. Sure, sometimes it can be shitty but there are little moments that make living worth it. Jamming with some friends, reading a great book, looking out the window on a lazy day, hearing a new band that completely blows your mind or whatever gets you off. I don't need a promise of "something more/something better" after I die and I honestly don't understand why anyone does.

Seems The Simpsons episide will not help here

Thast reason to live I agree those are great reason to live but soul makes those thinks to your thinks, soul makes YOU, its like cats are simmilar but one cat has its own caracter, soul maks your onw caracter
Nobody in world are like you only you self!
Soul makes those thinks
----

apos;'
[image]
02.10.2007 - 19:03
Too many fail.

Written by Bad English on 02.10.2007 at 18:51

@K7 -

Thast reason to live I agree those are great reason to live but soul makes those thinks to your thinks, soul makes YOU, its like cats are simmilar but one cat has its own caracter, soul maks your onw caracter
Nobody in world are like you only you self!
Soul makes those thinks

Or perhaps the brain...
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
03.10.2007 - 01:34
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 02.10.2007 at 18:51

@K7 -

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it the one that has this line?
"What is the mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!"
04.10.2007 - 17:50
rageing atheist
Account deleted

My reason for existing?
I have nothing better to do.
04.10.2007 - 18:04
Too many fail.

@K7
Theres no reason for me to be alive, just the result of chemical reactions and fortunate circumstances. However that is not to say that my life or yours for that matter has any significant meaning in the grand scheme of things for me.

Whats your reason to live in paradise?
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
04.10.2007 - 20:07
Kharn
Account deleted
I believe myself to be an aethiest. religion seems so bizzare to me. i can see how some of the stories and fables can have some meaning to them, giving you some perspective that you lacked before. but there are too many wacko's in the world that live thier life word for word of what the bible says. in my eyes, no religion has had the intention of hurting others, but the way some people have interpretated it leads to others hurting each other.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. - Steven Weinberg