11. Empires Lost To Time
12. In Truth Divided
13. Silence As A Force [2 CD edition bonus]
14. Time In Relativity [2 CD edition bonus]

The Best Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal Album Of 2020

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
There have been a number of stellar moments in the impressive career of Dark Tranquillity to date. Moment is not one of them, but it's not a disaster either.

Read more ››
published 22.11.2020 | Comments (25)

Found in 46 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 57   Visited by: 895 users
11.09.2020 - 13:29
Rating: 9
s_t_s

HYPED!
11.09.2020 - 13:56
FeskarN

New single sounds amazing!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
11.09.2020 - 15:54
Rating: 10
Evilquince

Automatic AOTY for me, so hyped
----
Some suffer to the point when they grow numb.
Others are so numb they deserve to suffer.
11.09.2020 - 22:46
Kuroboshi

Holy fuck, this sounds so awesome! Best DT album coming?
17.10.2020 - 18:19
11.11.2020 - 00:39
Woofy
Account deleted
I can't wait to hear those Christ Amott solos on this album!
12.11.2020 - 11:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
From Century Media facebook

Dark Tranquillity performs the new album "Moment" live in its entirety in live stream show in its entirety at Göteborg's famed venue Stora Teatern. The full show will be streamed online on Saturday November 21 at 20:00 Central European Time, only one day after the release of the new album.
Mikael Stanne comments: "We are thrilled to announce that we are doing a show! We will be performing our new album in it's entirety the day after it's release straight from Storan here in the heart of Gothenburg. And we want you all to join us via the stream. This of course is the weirdest time we as a band have been through and to release an album without going out around the world to play it is nothing short of heartbreaking. But knowing that you guys are at home, staying safe and turning our stream up to the appropriate metal levels will let us know that you're out there and will make this night truly special for us. This being as close as we can physically get to you all this year we aim to make the most of it. We have a full production show prepared for you on the most beautiful stage in the city and having you with us through the technical magic of streaming means the world to us. Enjoy the show and we hope to see you all very, very soon."
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.11.2020 - 02:16
Rating: 6
Litvin

Impressions after first spin:
Too much cleans on that, they kinda joining the old with a new modern sounds + a lot of solos
As for me, most of the time solos does not fit, they just not naturally pops form nowhere.

However the album is not bad at all and not a disappointment, will give it a bit more spins before rating it
20.11.2020 - 12:25
Rating: 7
musclassia

It's fine, but the band are clearly playing it safe - the songs are all generally liekable, but there's nothing overly memorable here, even when compared with Atoma. Not their worst album, but I can see it potentially being one of their most forgettable
20.11.2020 - 16:52
Kuroboshi

Written by musclassia on 20.11.2020 at 12:25

It's fine, but the band are clearly playing it safe - the songs are all generally liekable, but there's nothing overly memorable here, even when compared with Atoma. Not their worst album, but I can see it potentially being one of their most forgettable

Agree with your assessment. A lot of extremely safe and pretty boring songs, like Eyes of the World, The Dark Unbroken. But Phantom Days, and especially the stand-out of the album, Empires Lost to Time save this album.
Then again, I've reassessed albums boring at first spins before. Let's hope you and I both find reason to bump up this album in the weeks to come.
20.11.2020 - 17:21
musclassia

Written by Kuroboshi on 20.11.2020 at 16:52

Agree with your assessment. A lot of extremely safe and pretty boring songs, like Eyes of the World, The Dark Unbroken. But Phantom Days, and especially the stand-out of the album, Empires Lost to Time save this album.
Then again, I've reassessed albums boring at first spins before. Let's hope you and I both find reason to bump up this album in the weeks to come.

I'm reviewing it, so it'll get another few chances to work me around before I write that, but I did find myself getting bored at a couple of times on first listen, which is new for a Dark Tranquillity record
20.11.2020 - 19:50
The Melting Snow

Written by musclassia on 20.11.2020 at 17:21

Written by Kuroboshi on 20.11.2020 at 16:52

I'm reviewing it, so it'll get another few chances to work me around before I write that, but I did find myself getting bored at a couple of times on first listen, which is new for a Dark Tranquillity record

waiting for your review. this time let's leave out "originality"
20.11.2020 - 22:14
Rating: 4
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
This is quite boring, I'm a bit disappointed, especially considering how cool the album cover looks. I might just not be the target audience for Gothenburg though, it's always been a hit or miss genre for me. A Drawn Out Exit, Empires Lost To Time and Failstate kinda save it from being too bad but god I did not enjoy listening to this one
20.11.2020 - 23:28
Rating: 8
MetalManic

It's fine, but the band are clearly playing it safe -

On the other hand, when they don't play it safe, people will piss and moan about their approach. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.
20.11.2020 - 23:48
musclassia

Written by MetalManic on 20.11.2020 at 23:28

It's fine, but the band are clearly playing it safe -

On the other hand, when they don't play it safe, people will piss and moan about their approach. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't.

For some people, yes, it will be a damned if you do, damned if you don't. But I'm perfectly happy to hear a band do pretty much the same thing again and again - modern Amorphis is one of my favourite things in music and they've stayed steady for a long time. I just found these songs a bit flat on first listen; I'm hoping repeat plays will make me warm to them, but at the end of the day, this year in reviews I've praised bands for mixing things up (Pain Of Salvation), been negative towards bands mixing things up (Nero Di Marte), been negative towards bands doing the same thing (Lamb of God) and been positive towards bands doing the same thing (Regarde Les Hommes Tomber) - the thing that matters to me is if the songs sound interesting, and on first listen most of the tracks felt like DT were kinda on autopilot. It still sounds decent because DT are a great band whose sound I love (hence me writing the Getting Into guide), but I won't give them a pass for playing it safe just because people might flip if they do something different, particularly given the praise Projector gets.
21.11.2020 - 00:34
The Galactician

Written by musclassia on 20.11.2020 at 23:48

For some people, yes, it will be a damned if you do, damned if you don't. But I'm perfectly happy to hear a band do pretty much the same thing again and again - modern Amorphis is one of my favourite things in music and they've stayed steady for a long time. I just found these songs a bit flat on first listen; I'm hoping repeat plays will make me warm to them, but at the end of the day, this year in reviews I've praised bands for mixing things up (Pain Of Salvation), been negative towards bands mixing things up (Nero Di Marte), been negative towards bands doing the same thing (Lamb of God) and been positive towards bands doing the same thing (Regarde Les Hommes Tomber) - the thing that matters to me is if the songs sound interesting, and on first listen most of the tracks felt like DT were kinda on autopilot. It still sounds decent because DT are a great band whose sound I love (hence me writing the Getting Into guide), but I won't give them a pass for playing it safe just because people might flip if they do something different, particularly given the praise Projector gets.

This is really well stated. I think whether a band does more or the same or busts out in different directions, the key to greatness for me is always good songwriting.

I've run this one twice so far and I have kind of the same feelings you do. Enjoyable enough. Nothing gripping. A general middle of the road record across the board.
21.11.2020 - 04:17
Litvin

Written by musclassia on 20.11.2020 at 23:48

How about modern inflames are you still listen to this modern shit?
p.s
Bands who decide to do something new may turned out good or not.
So it is all depends sometimes experiments can be successful sometimes not,
However is it cool to play the same over and over again? I do not know.
In the end you can not please everyone.
21.11.2020 - 08:07
MeatWolf

Modern Amorphis is a bad example because in fact they do different albums. 06-11 sticked to one style but then they admitted they got bored of it and started changing things. Maybe 15-18-next one will be one style again. But Amorphis have three composers with different styles (and maybe Laine will write more prog rock stuff now).

Atoma and Moment however are exactly the same stuff and Construct was not far away from it either. And so far I don't see them doing something else since they even invited Ammot and Reinholdz and let them do absolutely nothing except for completely out of place solos.
21.11.2020 - 12:05
Dalleo

Wasn't feeling it the first spin, but after a couple of turns it grew on me.
Yes it's a mellower album than their previous effort but I quite enjoy it.
21.11.2020 - 16:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
As much I hate it, I like it. To me best was Skydancer, rare album what I can rate 10, but this is OK, I like calm vocal parts, since band lost that old school melo dm riffing, clean vocs save it, never judge a band from singles, IMO those 3 was not good chose, but same time, now I cant tell what song is best. I enjoy whole piece , but first 3 songs was disappointment IMO.,
----

apos;'
[image]
21.11.2020 - 16:52
IronArkadius666

First impressions: Better than Atoma and Construct, but not as good as anything before them.
Was hoping Amott would add more than just fast solos.

Does anyone else feel like DT albums are just too long for the style of music they play? That was my biggest issue with Construct and Atoma and now this one as well. I just lose interest during the back half.
21.11.2020 - 17:20
musclassia

Written by IronArkadius666 on 21.11.2020 at 16:52

Does anyone else feel like DT albums are just too long for the style of music they play? That was my biggest issue with Construct and Atoma and now this one as well. I just lose interest during the back half.

This album's only 2-3 mins longer than my favourite DT albums (Damage Done and Construct), so I'm not sure it's the length by itself, I think it's just the songs here aren't memorable enough to keep the listener fully interested through all that length - they could've definitely cut a couple of tracks here and the album would probably benefit from it
21.11.2020 - 20:58
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by MeatWolf on 21.11.2020 at 08:07

And so far I don't see them doing something else since they even invited Ammot and Reinholdz and let them do absolutely nothing except for completely out of place solos.

Even if you hear nothing but "completely out of place solos", at least Reinholdz' contribution to the creational process is larger than you may think. He wrote/co-wrote eight of the regular album tracks, more than any other member.
Two thirds of the abum bear the hallmark of their new guitarist, in my book that's way more than "absolutely nothing".
----
signatures = SPAM
21.11.2020 - 22:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

First impressions: Better than Atoma and Construct, but not as good as anything before them.
Was hoping Amott would add more than just fast solos.

I agree, last 3 albums should be 40 min not longer as 45
----

apos;'
[image]
21.11.2020 - 22:07
Reaper_Redeemer

Sounds not like Dark Tranquillity in my opinion but this is not the actual problem. I was really afraid when Niclas left that DT will lose not only their identity but also their high level songwriting (check how well Niclas does what he does in his solo project). They replaced him with quality musicians I do not deny it, but the actual effort seems mediocre and probably they will get better as time passes, but we understand that there is a contract that probably forces them to release music.

All in all this is in my opinion by far the worst DT album to date. A disappointment for me because they are the band that remained in high level so many years, surpassing all other bands of their wave.
21.11.2020 - 23:40
Risto
Wandering Midget
I agree on the general sentiment this is a pretty mediocre album for the most part. Phantom Days and The Dark Unbroken were good calls for singles because they're definitely among the better songs. But my initial favourite is actually the most mellow track on the entire thing, In Truth Divided. Stanne has a lot of hard time coming up with memorable clean vocal lines on this album, but not only does this song not have any growls, it may be some of his best clean vocal work in the entire DT back catalog.
22.11.2020 - 05:03
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

Except Skydancer, The Mind's I, and Haven.
22.11.2020 - 09:22
MeatWolf

Written by Starvynth on 21.11.2020 at 20:58

Written by MeatWolf on 21.11.2020 at 08:07

And so far I don't see them doing something else since they even invited Ammot and Reinholdz and let them do absolutely nothing except for completely out of place solos.

Even if you hear nothing but "completely out of place solos", at least Reinholdz' contribution to the creational process is larger than you may think. He wrote/co-wrote eight of the regular album tracks, more than any other member.
Two thirds of the abum bear the hallmark of their new guitarist, in my book that's way more than "absolutely nothing".

Now that's interesting, I checked the credits and some of his tracks are among the best on the record along with those of Jivarp. But then I really don't get how they managed to push him into this mood and structure because the music is really almost identical to Atoma.
22.11.2020 - 10:49
Harmaajoki

Not what I expected from their singles, and feels weird enough even for prog-melodeath
----
Shit talking and shit taste, whatever.
22.11.2020 - 15:47
IronArkadius666

Written by musclassia on 21.11.2020 at 17:20

This album's only 2-3 mins longer than my favourite DT albums (Damage Done and Construct), so I'm not sure it's the length by itself, I think it's just the songs here aren't memorable enough to keep the listener fully interested through all that length - they could've definitely cut a couple of tracks here and the album would probably benefit from it

That's probably it actually, and I think the lack of a definitive closer song for me is a big reason I get bored in the back half, sort of like there's nothing more to look forward to. My Negation, The Mundane and the Magic, and Iridium were brilliant ways to close an album, and I usually enjoy the ride up to them all the more for it.

Hits total: 11402 | This month: 43