06. Sleep Together
07. Nil Recurring
08. Normal
09. Cheating The Polygraph
10. What Happens Now?
+ Blank Planet [video]
+ Fear Of A Blank Planet [video]
+ Anesthetize [video]

Some artists are too good to be ignored. Porcupine Tree's architect Steven Wilson is one of them. After a long and fruitful career built on a crystalline guitar sound and atmospheric melodies, Steven influenced Opeth and helped them to record the distinctive "Damnation" album. Ever since, his name is on every metalhead's lips despite being more of a rock artist. Porcupine Tree's 2005 offering, "Deadwing", was nothing short of a masterpiece and "Fear of a Blank Planet" follows in the same footsteps.

The title track alone is worth buying this record. Check it the video on the web. If this is somewhat appealing to you, the rest of the album has the same elements all over. With his velvety voice, Steven has mastered his vocal lines to perfection. This is important to point out that his singing is unique and if you are a newcomer to Porcupine Tree, this might take you a while to appreciate the vocals. In any case, the band is continuing on the same path of atmospheric melancholic rock, filled with majestic guitar riffs, grand piano lines and catchy yet very progressive melodies.

Another hint of Mr Wilson's eminence in music is that track #3, 'Anesthetize', features a guest appearance from no other than Alex Lifeson on guitars [from Canadian progressive legendary band Rush]. The experienced ear won't be fooled and recognize his style immediately.

Comparing this album to any of its predecessors would be committing a crime, as all of Porcupine Tree recent albums have been astounding. Let's say that if you like 'Deadwing', you can't go wrong with this one.

"Fear of a Blank Planet" is one of those albums that you can play for anyone in your family or friend circle and get positive feedback from each of them. Yet, this is not a mainstream album by any means. In a way, Porcupine Tree is nowadays Pink Floyd. This is another contender for our 2007 Metal Storm Awards for sure.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 15.07.2007 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 51   Visited by: 423 users
15.07.2007 - 05:56
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I love this album. So different from "Piano Lessons" or "Sound of Muzak"
----
(space for rent)
15.07.2007 - 06:37
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
An ace review, and you've made me put it on to listen to, haha. Your part about positive feedback from everyone is spot on the money. I've yet to hear a bad word about this album, even from a family that usually hates metal.
----
15.07.2007 - 12:54
__Az__

Yeah, The positive feedback thing is definately correct, Ive just had a few people say that it took some getting used to, like you said.

But, overall, I really enjoy this album, and yes, the title track is amazing..
15.07.2007 - 15:11
Rating: 9
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I know that I shouldn't compare this one to his older albums, but I actually prefer all the older styles (okay, there's still some album I haven't heard). I'm a bit dissapointed by the songwriting, so I guess I'd give it an 8 there, but maybe I just need some more time to let the album sink in. Otherwise - all 10's, but still someting around 8 overall. I prefer all older albums that I've heard so far.
They played the whole album on the tour, I saw them this week. Just incredible, absolutely one of the best concerts I've attended.
And the video is probably the best music videos I've ever seen.
15.07.2007 - 16:20
Slyfang

in my opinion the album cover is the worst part of this album
15.07.2007 - 16:23
omn1
Account deleted
Written by Slyfang on 15.07.2007 at 16:20

in my opinion the album cover is the worst part of this album

I love this album to bits, but I have to agree there. Maybe I just don't "get it" though.
15.07.2007 - 22:31
Rating: 10
manos

this album is just perfect... i loved it... steven wilson is one of the most talented musicians... i agree, porcupine tree are nowadays' pink floyd!!
16.07.2007 - 02:44
Talvi

Yet Another amazing Porcu album. I've only listened last 4, but all of them are fucking awesome. 9+
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
16.07.2007 - 11:34
addiction

i love porcupine tree and this album is probably the best album this year so far. steven wilson is great. the band is amazing live as well! i saw them once a few months ago and i will see them again in november!!! the review was relatively good, i agree more or less, and you are right, just the first song is enough to buy the album for!!!

p.s. the album cover has everything to do with the lyrics of the songs in the album. and mostly the title track. "fear of a blank planet".....which could or will begin from the current generation of 5-10 year olds.......therefore the cover of some kid's eyes that are blank......kind of chaotic and certainly scary. like the lyrics: "xbox is a god to me, my finger on the switch, my mother is a bitch, my father gave up ever trying to talk to me...." i think that says it all and it is enough for you to get the album cover. i personally think it is a really good album cover, makes perfect sense!! and i completely agree as well...
----
alive in the superunknown
16.07.2007 - 15:24
Damnated
Churchburner
awsome album, but deadwing is still superior.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
16.07.2007 - 16:14
dancingdecember

great review.i agree with all of it."sentimental" is the song that made me love this album.steven wilson is just pure genius.after all this years they keep creating masterpieces.
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
17.07.2007 - 13:48
omn1
Account deleted
Written by addiction on 16.07.2007 at 11:34

p.s. the album cover has everything to do with the lyrics of the songs in the album. and mostly the title track. "fear of a blank planet".....which could or will begin from the current generation of 5-10 year olds.......therefore the cover of some kid's eyes that are blank......kind of chaotic and certainly scary. like the lyrics: "xbox is a god to me, my finger on the switch, my mother is a bitch, my father gave up ever trying to talk to me...." i think that says it all and it is enough for you to get the album cover. i personally think it is a really good album cover, makes perfect sense!! and i completely agree as well...

I understand as much as that but whats with the big block thing on the bottom? Is it supposed to symbolize the child becoming blank and the cover itself is much like a TV screen?
Either way I have a love-hate relationship with the cover. But the music itself and the concept I love. I can't wait for this bands next release, they just seem to be getting better and better. In my opinion anyway
17.07.2007 - 13:58
Daniel

Fantastic Review!

I agree, Id have to say I personally enjoy deadwig more, But this album is as you said, a Masterpeice.

Porcupine Tree are great artists and should be enjoyed by most people, what ever music your into (not really) .

Again, Top review!
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
18.07.2007 - 12:14
Merchant of Doom

it's a good album, but I was disappointed. PT are becoming a bit too samey and mainstream. The trash guitars are, honestly, pathetic and the 'blank planet' theme is dealt in a superficial way. Deadwing was good, but not as good as their masterpiece, In Absentia. And the album is far too short. I would recommend it to newcomers, but for the hardcore fans is a letdown.
13.08.2007 - 09:02
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.07.2007 at 13:48

Written by addiction on 16.07.2007 at 11:34

I understand as much as that but whats with the big block thing on the bottom? Is it supposed to symbolize the child becoming blank and the cover itself is much like a TV screen?
Either way I have a love-hate relationship with the cover. But the music itself and the concept I love. I can't wait for this bands next release, they just seem to be getting better and better. In my opinion anyway

The child's mouth is covered - blacked out. The child has no voice. That's what I read into the album art, at any rate.
15.08.2007 - 21:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
U pretty much said it all. I think they whole concept makes sense in the world we live in, its very pertinent. And it is very smart. Actually the album surprised me because I didnt think it would be this heavy. And after listening to the 6 songs I want more. If feels like it is something missing there.

Wilson's lyrics are what we are used to see by him, he is intelligent and that is a big turn-on to listen to any band.

Overall I love it, its among my favourites of the PT discography not surpassing "deadwing" or "in absentia" though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
24.09.2007 - 21:10
Ereinion'
Account deleted
The best album of 2007 so far
17.10.2007 - 08:14
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
amazing album so solid i think is the best work from PT
----
Stay Metal !!!
17.03.2008 - 11:55
Glabrezu

Great music and very great vocals, but nowadays Pink Floyd are Anathema
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
11.06.2008 - 11:02
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Glabrezu on 17.03.2008 at 11:55

Great music and very great vocals, but nowadays Pink Floyd are Anathema

Yes what I was going to say too, as much as there will never be another Pink Floyd I don't think PT are as close to Floyd or as good as Anathema at doing that style. Some of The Gathering and Amorphis are other stronger contenders IMO.

Several tracks from this album sound so similar No Quarter by Zeppelin..
23.08.2008 - 02:41
Raziel X

Since I am a fan of Opeth's Damnation, this might appeal to me
01.11.2008 - 17:41
Rating: 8
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I'm not a big Porcupine Tree fan, but i love Fear Of A Blank Planet great album
07.03.2009 - 01:06
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Amazing album, my favourites are Anesthetize and Way Out Of Here.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
23.07.2009 - 09:38
Fat & Sassy!

This is a very, very depressing album... at least for me it is. Not only are the lyrics very, VERY relative to someone my age, they are intelligent. It makes me sad, because I kinda know/have known people like the person in described in the album.

Oh and another thing... I think this album has a very Radiohead influence to it. No one has pointed this out, so I figured I would.
23.07.2009 - 16:16
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
This was the very first Porcupine Tree album I picked up (where have i been right?). I was immediatly hooked. The last 3 tracks on the album are absolutely epic.
----
rekt
23.07.2009 - 16:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.07.2009 at 09:38

This is a very, very depressing album... at least for me it is. Not only are the lyrics very, VERY relative to someone my age, they are intelligent. It makes me sad, because I kinda know/have known people like the person in described in the album.

Oh and another thing... I think this album has a very Radiohead influence to it. No one has pointed this out, so I figured I would.

So basically this album is depressing and sad. What about the songs?
----

My Instagram
23.07.2009 - 19:47
Fat & Sassy!

Written by BloodTears on 23.07.2009 at 16:50

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.07.2009 at 09:38

So basically this album is depressing and sad. What about the songs?

Well, this is actually the first Porcupine Tree album I've ever heard all the way through. For some reason I kept forgetting to try out their music. I was surprised with some of the heavy moments of the album though, because everything I've heard by them before was a lot more mellow. I like the whole Pink Floyd/Radiohead sound with the metal edge. Until last night, I didn't know what the lyrics were actually about... So now, I don't even know if I can listen to it casually, because I think that it's pretty sad stuff. :/

My favorite tracks are Anesthetize and Way Out of Here. The solo on Way Out of Here is great. Since Robert Fripp is featured on the song, does that mean he does the solo?
23.07.2009 - 20:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.07.2009 at 19:47

Well, this is actually the first Porcupine Tree album I've ever heard all the way through. For some reason I kept forgetting to try out their music. I was surprised with some of the heavy moments of the album though, because everything I've heard by them before was a lot more mellow. I like the whole Pink Floyd/Radiohead sound with the metal edge. Until last night, I didn't know what the lyrics were actually about... So now, I don't even know if I can listen to it casually, because I think that it's pretty sad stuff. :/

My favorite tracks are Anesthetize and Way Out of Here. The solo on Way Out of Here is great. Since Robert Fripp is featured on the song, does that mean he does the solo?

*checks bootleg* I don't think he does the solo, according to the bootleg he did the soundscapes.
----

My Instagram
23.07.2009 - 21:40
Fat & Sassy!

Written by BloodTears on 23.07.2009 at 20:02

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.07.2009 at 19:47

*checks bootleg* I don't think he does the solo, according to the bootleg he did the soundscapes.

Oh ok. Thanks.

I'm not really a big fan of Fripp's work. That's why I would have been surprised if he did that solo.
23.07.2009 - 23:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BloodTears on 23.07.2009 at 20:02

Don't you mean booklet instead of "bootleg" ? A bootleg is an illegal recording
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 14130 | This month: 32