07. For Victory [instrumental version]
08. Two Kings One Realm [instrumental version]
09. Flames In The Sky [instrumental version]
10. Serkland [instrumental version]
11. Varangians [instrumental version]
12. Night Of The Ravens [instrumental version]
13. The Last Viking [instrumental version]
14. Break Into The Sky Of Aeon [instrumental version]

Life after Liv? The first album without her, 2018's Sign Of The Dragonhead, was honestly a bit underwhelming for me, but after hearing it live, some songs grew on me. Yes, Leaves' Eyes played it safe on this one which begged to wonder how The Last Viking would compare.

Production wise and musically their newest offering should have been THE album released after the Liv fiasco. It would have shown that the band didn't lose a step and Elina can hold her own; it seems that The Last Viking has been tailored more to her soprano vocal style. But hey, maybe there was some thought behind the madness since Leaves' Eyes came out swinging with their new release.

Once again a concept album, another Viking, Norway's King Harald III, the hard ruler - Hardrada, the last battle near Stamford Bridge, and here we go, supposedly the final Viking saga turned to music. It never gets old with the Viking stuff and apparently Leaves' Eyes did all kinds of research to be historically accurate with? full stop right here. While I do commend the band on doing their due diligence, I judge music on all kinds of things first before I ever consider the lyrical content. But with this being said, the atmosphere in the songs does paint a picture of what is happening.

The composition of the songs is superb, the tracks are varied and the constant speed changes set the mood and overall atmosphere of The Last Viking. The medieval drums and other instruments (celtic horn anyone) not just add to the listening experience but rather take it up a notch.

Again, while I wasn't sold on Elina's performance on their last album, she totally won me over this time around. I am also going as far as saying that Alex Krull's growls and harsh vocals were placed better on The Last Viking. Some vocal passages on the last album just fell out of place for some reason.

The Last Viking offers something for everyone. "Night Of The Ravens" with its catchy Visions Of Atlantis flair, "Dark Love Empress" emulating Tarja era Nightwish tunes, also "Black Butterfly" sounds strikingly like "Nemo", but folky tunes such as "Varangians" and "For Victory" are present as well.

I really dig "Break Into The Sky Of Aeon" which has an almost melo-death tone while still remaining the symphonic vibe; old school Leaves' Eyes right there. Another highlight is "Serpents And Dragons", a high tempo riff driven song which showcases the abilities of the two guitarists. But the most epic song on the album, not just because of its length (over 10min) is definitely the title song "The Last Viking". Yes, the word epic might be overused at times, but not in this case. The buildup is just fantastic and about halfway through the song all hell breaks loose.

People who might have written them off really should give the band another try, especially if a fan of old Nightwish or Van Giersbergen era Xandria. Yes, it's sometimes hard to come back after a major line-up change but I believe Leaves' Eyes did just that; took them 2 albums, but nevertheless. Classic Symphonic Metal is hopefully here to stay for the band.

On their website it states "Monumental. Epic. Powerful. - The Vikings' last battle" and the album captures this.

Written on 08.10.2020 by Former boss lady. Now just a professional concertgoer... dangerously armed with a camera!

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 70 users
09.10.2020 - 12:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Bands latest single was string imo.
But since what when you listen such music. I am suprise... Now you need review drone band and attend roadburn lol
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.10.2020 - 19:11
mariano

Fans of Van Giersbergen era Xandria??
That pretty much targets people with very low expectations about anything.
09.10.2020 - 21:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by mariano on 09.10.2020 at 19:11

Fans of Van Giersbergen era Xandria??
That pretty much targets people with very low expectations about anything.

Agree. But i think this is a bit higher as those bands
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.11.2020 - 04:31
Rating: 6
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

I'm surprised at the rating. I find almost every song on this album to be extremely forgettable and generic. They've completely ditched the goth/symphonic aspects of their sound and have embraced boring riffs and viking chants in every song.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
02.12.2020 - 04:53
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Oh wow
I didn't know Liv is no longer with the band. The review sounds promising and I must check this out
----
loves 小巫

Hits total: 2076 | This month: 16