08. Fortune

Top 20 albums of 2021: 10

Additional info
Produced by Iñaki Marconi and the band.
Mixed and mastered by Kane Churko.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Soen really are gathering some serious momentum right now.

Read more ››
published 06.02.2021 | Comments (7)

So, the year 2021 is over, welcome 2022. The first album I listened in the new year is the one that got the most plays from me during the previous one. Soen found their own sound with Lykaia, they improved it with Lotus, and with Imperial they created what I consider to be the perfect album. Superb musicianship, astonishing melodies, bass, drums, guitars in faultless sync, and vocal hooks for days. Imperial has been a constant companion for me since it came out, and it is one of these albums that make me happy that music exists.

I will be delighted if I find something as satisfying as this in 2022.

nikarg's picks | More picks ››

Found in 61 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 54   Visited by: 1003 users
26.10.2020 - 22:14
dterric
Hell Yes \m/
08.11.2020 - 05:02
andytepedino
New single -Antagonist-'s pretty boring... It feels like they're copying themselves.
----
Andy Ξ
12.12.2020 - 23:50
Rating: 7
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Last album was very enjoyable, looking forward to this one too. Cover art looks good.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
17.12.2020 - 22:46
Mario Montes
It's still too early to judge the album having listened to only two singles, but they didn't impressed me to be honest. Seems to me that they're starting to repeat themselves a little bit. They've never released a bad album in my opinion, and they did nothing but improve their formula release after release, getting rid of that annoying "sounds-like-Tool" stigma and reaching their peak with Lotus. But this two new songs... I don't know, sounds to me like their formula is starting to get repetitive (plus there's something about the drum mix I don't like). Willing to listen to the rest of the album anyway, hopefully there will be some nice surprises to discover.
28.01.2021 - 18:52
Rating: 10
MetalHead9494
Written by Mario Montes on 17.12.2020 at 22:46

It's still too early to judge the album having listened to only two singles, but they didn't impressed me to be honest. Seems to me that they're starting to repeat themselves a little bit. They've never released a bad album in my opinion, and they did nothing but improve their formula release after release, getting rid of that annoying "sounds-like-Tool" stigma and reaching their peak with Lotus. But this two new songs... I don't know, sounds to me like their formula is starting to get repetitive (plus there's something about the drum mix I don't like). Willing to listen to the rest of the album anyway, hopefully there will be some nice surprises to discover.

Oh trust me, the album is FULL of surprises. The singles they released are the weakest.. This album (after spinning it 7 times) surpasses Lotus, which says a lot!
29.01.2021 - 12:03
Majohadica
Nice repose music, great album
29.01.2021 - 12:16
nikarg
staff
No need for comparisons, I know, but these last two albums are better than any Tool album for me.
29.01.2021 - 12:55
Rating: 8
I'm surprised i missed the singles and didn't even know the album was coming out. Just heard it and loved it. It's just January, but looks like this will end up pretty high on many Albums of the Year lists.

Became a fan after I heard their last album but I thought that was a one-off thing. Will have to check their older albums too now.
29.01.2021 - 12:58
Mario Montes
Written by MetalHead9494 on 28.01.2021 at 18:52

Written by Mario Montes on 17.12.2020 at 22:46

Oh trust me, the album is FULL of surprises. The singles they released are the weakest.. This album (after spinning it 7 times) surpasses Lotus, which says a lot!

I listened to it already and I really liked it I wouldn't say I prefer it over Lotus, but it's a solid album. Hope this freaking pandemic ends someday so I can see them live in Madrid this December
29.01.2021 - 14:04
Rating: 10
MetalHead9494
Written by Mario Montes on 29.01.2021 at 12:58

I listened to it already and I really liked it I wouldn't say I prefer it over Lotus, but it's a solid album. Hope this freaking pandemic ends someday so I can see them live in Madrid this December

Glad you liked it! There are similarities to Lotus for sure, but I like how they are trying new stuff here with the Symphonic elements in the second half, and the vocals are even more diverse here.

I hope you will get to see them, they are really good live!
29.01.2021 - 17:39
Hrodebert
Well that was..... disappointing
29.01.2021 - 18:28
panths
Ahaha.you listen the album for 24h and most of you already vote.....
29.01.2021 - 18:47
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by nikarg on 29.01.2021 at 12:16

No need for comparisons, I know, but these last two albums are better than any Tool album for me.

I'm a huge Tool fan so I enjoyed the early albums just because they sound a lot like Tool. But this was while everyone was still waiting for Fear Inoculum. Now we have Fear Inoculum and Tool plays Tool best so I rarely revisit Cognitive and Tellurian these days. If you want to listen to a Tool clone now, check out Wheel because they try sound more like Tool than Tool themselves.
Since Lykaia they have found their own sound and to me they just get better and better. These days their sound reminds more of In Vain, another great band. But that's just my opinion.

With that said, phenomenal album, but better than Tool? I disagree
29.01.2021 - 18:51
Hrodebert
Written by panths on 29.01.2021 at 18:28

Ahaha.you listen the album for 24h and most of you already vote.....

I know some albums grow on you with more listens, but you have to find something to want to revisit an album for it to grow on you. This album I just found a bit boring, not saying it is bad, but it is also not something I see myself returning to anytime soon.
29.01.2021 - 21:03
Metren
Dreadrealm
A logical continuation from the previous album and solid from beginning to end; however, I don't enjoy it as much as Lotus, not really any "wow!" moments on this one.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
29.01.2021 - 21:33
panths
Written by Metren on 29.01.2021 at 21:03

A logical continuation from the previous album and solid from beginning to end; however, I don't enjoy it as much as Lotus, not really any "wow!" moments on this one.

you said it all. i agree 100% with you.let's see how much will grow on us.
29.01.2021 - 21:53
Rating: 6
MentalYah
I kinda dig the last track. Other than that nothing stands out. To top it off all songs sound the same. I find this a decent effort but much weaker than Lotus. It's a record that while it's not bad, if we didn't have it I wouldn't miss it.
30.01.2021 - 10:00
BCI
Nowhere near as disappointing as Lotus but still too generic to reach the levels of Lykaia. Definitely needs a few more listens, but I don't remember needing another minute to realise that Lykaia was their best album...
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
30.01.2021 - 12:33
Rating: 9
Dark Horizons
I don't know if this is better of Lotus or on the same level, but for sure this is a contender for AOTY for me...
----
We are just a moment in time
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
Visions from a dying brain
I hope you don't understand
30.01.2021 - 14:47
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Perhaps it's the tasteful cheese in these melodies, or maybe the Opeth-y Pale Communion vibes, but this hits the poppy prog spot that I needed. "Illusion" is a real highlight for me - sounds like it would fit almost perfectly on Damnation.
30.01.2021 - 14:59
gkatzp
Account deleted
Has something gone really wrong with the recordings and mixing of this album? There is so much unnecessary noise.
31.01.2021 - 14:44
Yugosaki
Written by Guest on 30.01.2021 at 14:59

Has something gone really wrong with the recordings and mixing of this album? There is so much unnecessary noise.

I've had same questions when listening on Youtube, but after hearing FLAC files audio quality on those is much better.
Mixing and mastering is done by Kane Churko, and he is good producer.
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
01.02.2021 - 15:03
silenius
Written by Guest on 30.01.2021 at 14:59

Yea i thought it sounded like shit first aswell (listened to it at work). Then i got home and listened through my high-end Hi-fi setup and then it sounds fucking amazing.
02.02.2021 - 11:48
Tom Muller
I never really understood the hype of Soen. will give it a few listenings
----
Can you see it
04.02.2021 - 11:58
musclassia
staff
Written by Nejde on 29.01.2021 at 18:47

Written by nikarg on 29.01.2021 at 12:16

I'm a huge Tool fan so I enjoyed the early albums just because they sound a lot like Tool. But this was while everyone was still waiting for Fear Inoculum. Now we have Fear Inoculum and Tool plays Tool best so I rarely revisit Cognitive and Tellurian these days. If you want to listen to a Tool clone now, check out Wheel because they try sound more like Tool than Tool themselves.
Since Lykaia they have found their own sound and to me they just get better and better. These days their sound reminds more of In Vain, another great band. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah comparing this to Tool is like apples and oranges; I don't hear anything here that sounds like any era of Tool. I can only assume the connection comes from their Tool-aping days on Cognitive. As for this album, I've never been overly impressed by Soen (if we were to compare Tool and Soen, it's not even a contest IMO), but this is possibly the most I've enjoyed one of theirs (however, I probably said the same the first time I heard Lotus and ended up being a bit bored of that one on relistens)
06.02.2021 - 19:28
Kuroboshi
I thought this was way better than Lotus. Have never understood what's so good with that album... This on the other hand, very fresh! They are moving farther and farther away from the Tool-ish wankery beginnings, which I think is great. Fresh riffs.
07.02.2021 - 10:11
nikarg
staff
Written by Nejde on 29.01.2021 at 18:47

Frankly, that comment of mine was off the mark. Soen sound almost nothing like Tool nowadays and I guess what I wanted to point out was how much I like their last two (actually three) albums. I have never been able to connect with Tool but I appreciate their talent of course.

Back to Soen: I am immensely enjoying Imperial, the more I listen the more I like it, and the same had happened with Lotus. Like last year, I am doing a Spotify playlist (and it is the only playlist I make) for 2021 with the songs that impress me (only one song per album is the rule), which helps me for the MS Awards at the end of the year as well. I have played Imperial about 6 or 7 times so far and I am unable to choose a favourite song to add to the playlist, almost every track is good enough to go there.
07.02.2021 - 12:38
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by nikarg on 07.02.2021 at 10:11

I have played Imperial about 6 or 7 times so far and I am unable to choose a favourite song to add to the playlist, almost every track is good enough to go there.

I'll help you out. Either go with Illusion or Antagonist. I'm leaning towards the latter though
07.02.2021 - 15:42
musclassia
staff
Written by Nejde on 07.02.2021 at 12:38

Written by nikarg on 07.02.2021 at 10:11

I have played Imperial about 6 or 7 times so far and I am unable to choose a favourite song to add to the playlist, almost every track is good enough to go there.

I'll help you out. Either go with Illusion or Antagonist. I'm leaning towards the latter though

Antagonist and Fortune were my favourites; really enjoyed the strings in the latter
08.02.2021 - 06:41
Sorry, noob question. but can someone tell me how to pronounce Soen?

Hits total: 14788 | This month: 39