Album: The Suns Of Perdition - Chapter II: Render Unto Eden
Style: Black metal, Post-metal
Release date: August 2020

01. Promethean Fire
02. The Faustian Pact
03. Areopagitica
04. The Snare Of The Fowler
05. Pascal's Wager

While emphasis on atmosphere has played a significant role in the evolution of extreme metal's progression, so too has the balance between accessibility and exclusivity.

The relentless pursuit of growth and willingness to adapt to change on behalf of black metal musicians has led to some mesmerizing music over the years, culminating in the formation of bands that continue to push the envelope in terms of where the genre can thrive. Panzerfaust is one such band. Their unique approach, though developed under heavy influence -- whether intentional or not -- by the likes of Rosetta, Akercocke, Deathspell Omega, and Ulcerate, explores the various aspects of post-metal and death metal, incorporating a high degree of technical songwriting and crushing atmosphere. Further examination reveals a groovy, exhilarating depth hiding beneath the swirling riffs and bombastic drum work, adding layers of variation and engaging elements to not only keep you interested throughout its 45 minute duration, but also to entice you back for repeat listens. It's demanding and challenging when analyzed for its intricacies and subtle details, but forgiving and digestible from the outset for those who don't need to look beyond hypnotic melodies and gloomy ambiance.

Render Unto Eden is the second chapter of The Suns of Perdition, with its predecessor released just a year prior, but it follows and flows along the same format, with perhaps a slight improvement in regards to how surprisingly catchy it can be. The quick tempo and intensity of Alexander Kartashov's drumming is perfectly suited for the album's serious vibe, and his destructive cymbal crashes lend a nice touch to an otherwise predominantly bass-centric performance. Equally important, of course, are the riffs. The bulk of the guitar load focuses mainly on the creation of mood and tone, thereby mitigating the quantity, but the recurring structure of each song establishes a sound that is most accurately described as cataclysmic, absorbed more so as motif rather than repetition -- a fine line on which to play, but whose execution is flawlessly delivered. Fortifying this already monstrous cacophony is the immense and terrifying vocal performance of the aptly nicknamed Tom "Goliath" Remigio, providing a rich density with a hearty range befitting of the beastly Neurosis as much as the ghastly Taake. It also helps that the lines he delivers are exceptionally well written, courtesy of Brock "Kaizer" Van Dijk's poetic expression of religious themes relating to death, suffering, and the tribulations of life that man must endure, such as the impulse to commit acts of evil in direct defiance of God (the yetzer hara). It all blends together so seamlessly, like a waterfall of lava bleeding from the night sky, showering the cursed populace below.

Panzerfaust may be taking the scenic route on the path to becoming a household name in the scene, but their ongoing development is deserving of mass observation and admiration, as their consistent outpouring of quality content is something of a rarity. Bask in the flames of hate spewed forth by this portal to evil and succumb to its dark and tormenting influence. You won't regret it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written on 03.11.2020 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 207 users
03.11.2020 - 06:15
Rating: 9
tintinb

This very mixture of black and post metal, those Deathspell Omega vibes, I hope more bands keep on doing it. The resultant mixture is an auditory eargasm, quite unmatched by any other genre mixtures.
----
Leeches everywhere.
03.11.2020 - 11:04
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
For the longest time I was under the impression that these guys were Polish tbh
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
03.11.2020 - 11:20
Rating: 8
HarryKawaiiDesu

I saw this band once after the release of Chapter I, really nice guys, glad to see them getting bigger.
03.11.2020 - 13:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Damn, this is sounding pretty excellent (no kidding about the drums...) and I know nothing of this band. Guess I'll have some digging to do. Thank for the review!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.11.2020 - 16:23
Rating: 10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by tintinb on 03.11.2020 at 06:15

This very mixture of black and post metal, those Deathspell Omega vibes, I hope more bands keep on doing it. The resultant mixture is an auditory eargasm, quite unmatched by any other genre mixtures.

I absolutely love it but I also don't want it to become the next metalgaze where it becomes saturated with soundalikes within a few years. If it's a sound restricted to a few bands that maintain this level of quality, that would be ideal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.11.2020 - 16:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RaduP on 03.11.2020 at 11:04

For the longest time I was under the impression that these guys were Polish tbh

They're based in Mississauga which is a large municipality not too far from where I live (five or take 50km) but their last names and lyrical themes suggest an Orthodox Jewish background (the city also has a significant Jewish population), so Ukraine, Poland, and Russia are all potential birth places.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.11.2020 - 16:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by HarryKawaiiDesu on 03.11.2020 at 11:20

I saw this band once after the release of Chapter I, really nice guys, glad to see them getting bigger.

You lucky bastard. I only caught wind of them late last year with the first chapter of this but haven't had a chance to catch them live. They're relatively local though, so I should manage to hit up a show at some point in the future once this virus nonsense blows over.
----
03.11.2020 - 16:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.11.2020 at 13:13

Damn, this is sounding pretty excellent (no kidding about the drums...) and I know nothing of this band. Guess I'll have some digging to do. Thank for the review!

The drums are fantastic but this is honestly the kind of album where each aspect of the musicianship is worth its own breakdown. They all do a phenomenal job and you can tell they're not only practiced with their instruments, but also with each other. The drummer only joined last year and they sound this tight already. It's incredible.
----
03.11.2020 - 19:34
chomskeet

This and Esoctrilihum are my two favorite BM releases so far this year, I was pleased to see your positive review of this album since it definitely deserves more recognition!
03.11.2020 - 19:48
nikarg

Written by chomskeet on 03.11.2020 at 19:34

This and Esoctrilihum are my two favorite BM releases so far this year, I was pleased to see your positive review of this album since it definitely deserves more recognition!

Same here.
03.11.2020 - 19:52
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
Probably the best metal release of 2020 (for now).
03.11.2020 - 20:08
chomskeet

Written by nikarg on 03.11.2020 at 19:48

Same here.

Nice, did you hear the new Esoctrilihum EP that came out on Halloween? I was quite disappointed from my first few listens but I'm going to give a few more spins because maybe I'm just missing something. I liked Shaog so much so I'm really surprised
03.11.2020 - 20:17
musclassia

I need to give it another blast, I was very impressed by the post-metal/black fusion on the first album
03.11.2020 - 20:18
nikarg

Written by chomskeet on 03.11.2020 at 20:08

Nice, did you hear the new Esoctrilihum EP that came out on Halloween? I was quite disappointed from my first few listens but I'm going to give a few more spins because maybe I'm just missing something. I liked Shaog so much so I'm really surprised

Yes, I did, I actually posted the relevant news and added the EP to the database
Just like you, I thought it was underwhelming - to say the least - compared to Shaog. I am torn about which album is best bm for 2020 so far at the moment, Esoctrilihum's or Panzerfaust's. Along with Gaerea's Limbo, they are the top 3 for me.
03.11.2020 - 20:40
chomskeet

Written by nikarg on 03.11.2020 at 20:18

Written by chomskeet on 03.11.2020 at 20:08

Yes, I did, I actually posted the relevant news and added the EP to the database
Just like you, I thought it was underwhelming - to say the least - compared to Shaog. I am torn about which album is best bm for 2020 so far at the moment, Esoctrilihum's or Panzerfaust's. Along with Gaerea's Limbo, they are the top 3 for me.

Oh nice, thanks for posting it and all the hard work you guys put into this site. The format for your Necrophobic review was fucking great/hilarious. I've listened a lot to all three and I think that Esoctrilihum eeks it out. It's just such a unique album and the more I listen the more perfect I think it is. I'm going to spin Limbo a few more times since you like it so much, it didn't grab me the way either of these two did though
03.11.2020 - 21:46
SatanicBlood

Excellent disc, definitely worth the score. I remember talking to Brock while we were on tour with them in 2016 on how much they reminded me of DSO in terms of guitar stylings.
03.11.2020 - 22:37
DarkWingedSoul

Fully agree, amazing album, sometimes reminds me of Mgla.
03.11.2020 - 23:50
Uxküll

Fully agree, gave it a 9.
----
"Nullum unquam exstitit magnum igenium sine aliqua dementia [there was never great genius without some madness]."

Best of Metal A-Z: http://metalstorm.net/users/lists.php?user_id=158339
04.11.2020 - 00:55
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
It's pure bliss, Canadian-style.
04.11.2020 - 06:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

Esoctrilihum

Another great release, and one that I need to revisit, so thanks for the reminder.
----
04.11.2020 - 06:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Silent Creeper on 03.11.2020 at 19:52

I have a handful of contenders for my personal favorite but this is right up there. Cytotoxin, Vredehammer, and Thy Catafalque are also getting plenty of my repeat attention.
----
04.11.2020 - 06:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by SatanicBlood on 03.11.2020 at 21:46

Excellent disc, definitely worth the score. I remember talking to Brock while we were on tour with them in 2016 on how much they reminded me of DSO in terms of guitar stylings.

I assume they took the comparison as a compliment. I know some musicians take offense if they don't think a comparison is apt but in this case I think the guitar tone and dissonant riffing is definitely appropriate. Whereabouts did you tour with them?
----
04.11.2020 - 06:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Dream Taster on 04.11.2020 at 00:55

It's pure bliss, Canadian-style.

More proof that our black metal offerings aren't entirely dependent on Quebec.
----
04.11.2020 - 16:29
SatanicBlood

Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.11.2020 at 06:50

Written by SatanicBlood on 03.11.2020 at 21:46

I assume they took the comparison as a compliment. I know some musicians take offense if they don't think a comparison is apt but in this case I think the guitar tone and dissonant riffing is definitely appropriate. Whereabouts did you tour with them?
We were the on western leg of the Make War, Not Peace tour opening for them and Erimha, joined them in Winnipeg, went as far as Vancouver and parted ways in Regina. They invited us to do the Toronto show with them but we couldn't commit that much time off work.
Brock was pretty receptive to the comparison, people have thrown lots of it towards us (which have never been intention) and I never took offence to any of it. The day I get compared to Nickleback is where I will draw the line, haha.
04.11.2020 - 17:13
Evil Cooper

I really loved the chapter I and think this chapter II, for what I heard, is great too. I appreciated your review, but I quite disagree about the "originality" rating: as they are so unique in blending stuff to produce one very personal sound, I'd say they're as original as one can be nowadays. I mean, to be innovative you have to recombine in a personal way lots of other stuff, as we in 2020 have very few possibilities to get into something completely new. They do it perfectly and I think their sound is very recognizable and unique (if there is someone who sounds this way, please shoot their names, I really like this kind of apocalyptic sound...)
05.11.2020 - 00:45
chomskeet

Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.11.2020 at 06:47

Written by Silent Creeper on 03.11.2020 at 19:52

I have a handful of contenders for my personal favorite but this is right up there. Cytotoxin, Vredehammer, and Thy Catafalque are also getting plenty of my repeat attention.

Thanks for your Cytotoxin review, I didn't know about them before that. Might be my favorite BDM album since Benighted's Asylum Cave and Viraemia
05.11.2020 - 15:42
mz

Still have not heard this but I absolutely love their The Lucifer Principle EP. Should check ASAP. The review makes it sound promising.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
07.11.2020 - 03:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by SatanicBlood on 04.11.2020 at 16:29

We were the on western leg of the Make War, Not Peace tour opening for them and Erimha, joined them in Winnipeg, went as far as Vancouver and parted ways in Regina. They invited us to do the Toronto show with them but we couldn't commit that much time off work.
Brock was pretty receptive to the comparison, people have thrown lots of it towards us (which have never been intention) and I never took offence to any of it. The day I get compared to Nickleback is where I will draw the line, haha.

Not a bad way to see the country! Especially if you drove the distance instead of flying; there's a lot of interesting and beautiful terrain and scenery between Manitoba and BC. (Okay not so much Saskatchewan but still.)

It's good that you're all humble enough to take a compliment even if it doesn't follow with a particular sound or style you're aiming for. Some musicians get way too person and take offense to that stuff and just come across as divas. But fair to draw the line at Nickelback...
----
07.11.2020 - 03:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by chomskeet on 05.11.2020 at 00:45

Viraemia

That's a new name for me. It seems we have a similar taste in death metal so consider the Cytotoxin review my offering in exchange for this new band to investigate 😇
----
07.11.2020 - 21:45
SatanicBlood

Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.11.2020 at 03:47

Written by SatanicBlood on 04.11.2020 at 16:29

Not a bad way to see the country! Especially if you drove the distance instead of flying; there's a lot of interesting and beautiful terrain and scenery between Manitoba and BC. (Okay not so much Saskatchewan but still.)

It's good that you're all humble enough to take a compliment even if it doesn't follow with a particular sound or style you're aiming for. Some musicians get way too person and take offense to that stuff and just come across as divas. But fair to draw the line at Nickelback...
If you put your art out there, you have to be able to accept critiques from both sides.
Being a musician does have its benefits in terms of travel though haha. We made it as far as Quebec City twice now making stops at the Coalition (rip) both trips.
I will say this though, if I never see Wawa again, I won't be upset. Nothing good has happened to us there, haha.
I will say his to Canadians who think there's nothing to our country, we have everything. Mountains, oceans, deserts, forests, islands, tundras, you name it. We have a very geographically diverse country end to end and encourage people to see their own country before travelling abroad.

Hits total: 4575 | This month: 16