05. Coward's Keep
06. Worms of the Earth
07. The Godblade
08. Banners of Arhai

The Best Heavy / Melodic Metal Album Of 2020

Staff review by
nikarg
Rating:
It has boobs on the cover art. It is fantasy-themed and Michael Moorcock-influenced. It has vocals drenched in reverb. It begins with hammer and anvil sounds.

I could have finished the review right here but I had to write another 1000 words to explain why, even though I do like Ravening Iron, I cannot agree with it being on almost every year-end list I have seen.

Read more ››
published 12.12.2020 | Comments (9)

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 359 users
13.11.2020 - 18:04
NecroL

Album is very powerful
----
..Superior mighty warriors of pure unhallowed blood..
21.11.2020 - 10:15
Rating: 6
Muzmuz

This album could have been recorded 40 years ago
21.11.2020 - 17:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
When band change name what can be in parody movie, or manowar, and demo sounds like parody, but same time they play good USPM, what to do? Listen it, yes, yes, yes.Good decent USPM album, good riffs, another genre as Hellenic BM, what delivered this year more then 5 good albums. I like it.
And yes artwork is cool, titts, well if they are natural I am OK whit it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.11.2020 - 02:04
Rating: 8
gavdann

I was going to check this out but annoyingly the band don't apear to be on Spotify.
23.11.2020 - 00:21
Tapping The Vein

Written by gavdann on 22.11.2020 at 02:04

I was going to check this out but annoyingly the band don't apear to be on Spotify.

If only the Internet had 14,000 other ways for you to check out the band.
----
Congratulations. God hates your guts!
23.11.2020 - 03:11
gavdann

Written by Tapping The Vein on 23.11.2020 at 00:21

If only the Internet had 14,000 other ways for you to check out the band.

I'm sure there are but apart from possibly YouTube where else can I stream it? I already pay £12 a month for Spotify and I don't even buy downloads these days since switching.
23.11.2020 - 11:19
nikarg

Written by gavdann on 23.11.2020 at 03:11

I'm sure there are but apart from possibly YouTube where else can I stream it? I already pay £12 a month for Spotify and I don't even buy downloads these days since switching.

Have a look here.
23.11.2020 - 11:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Spotify is shit, it was cool in the beginning, now I dont use it. Bandcamp, its stupid that many bands has no band camp, IMO they can get better prophet from there, since they master own bandcamp, but not Spotify. 90% is on BC, 10% what is not 9% are on YT from reminding 1% 90% can be downloadet and it happens maybe 2 times per year 2-3 albums what are nowhere,
----

apos;'
[image]
23.11.2020 - 15:08
gavdann

Written by Bad English on 23.11.2020 at 11:23

Spotify is shit, it was cool in the beginning, now I dont use it. Bandcamp, its stupid that many bands has no band camp, IMO they can get better prophet from there, since they master own bandcamp, but not Spotify. 90% is on BC, 10% what is not 9% are on YT from reminding 1% 90% can be downloadet and it happens maybe 2 times per year 2-3 albums what are nowhere,

Spotify is unquestionably the best subscription based streaming website. I can find about 95% of the music I want to listen to on there, so it's definitely not shit and definitely the best and most cost effective way for me to listen to the music I like.

Bandcamp is great and yes obviously the band make more money from it. But with the amount of new music I listen to, no way am I paying $8 to download an album from a band I've only a small interest in. I use Bandcamp for merch and if the band are offering free downloads, that's it.
23.11.2020 - 15:10
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by gavdann on 23.11.2020 at 15:08

Bandcamp is great and yes obviously the band make more money from it. But with the amount of new music I listen to, no way am I paying $8 to download an album from a band I've only a small interest in. I use Bandcamp for merch and if the band are offering free downloads, that's it.

You know you can stream on Bandcamp, right?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
23.11.2020 - 15:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Spotify is shit, band gets maybe, 1% from money, its better ignore it. Bc is better, now even youtube start music thing, movies thing so on some years Google will buy Spotify same as someone bought Skype. For bands its batteri master own site as Bandcamp. Many metal heads buy albums. So if youre not at home bc is best to listen or yt.
----

apos;'
[image]
23.11.2020 - 16:49
gavdann

Written by RaduP on 23.11.2020 at 15:10

Written by gavdann on 23.11.2020 at 15:08

You know you can stream on Bandcamp, right?

Directly from the website or app but not through Sonos unless I've paid for the digital download. Not sure what the free streaming quality on it is like either. I'd have to compare with a high quality download from Spotify.

Anyway... Spotify works for me as it's relatively cheap, unlimited and works a dream through Sonos but I get that Bandcamp and YouTube are great for previewing stuff which isn't on there.

If Bandcamp came up with a monthly subscription service it would be even better but then it would just be another Spotify I suppose.

I keep meaning to play with Soundcloud as I've heard that's good as well.
23.11.2020 - 16:53
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by gavdann on 23.11.2020 at 16:49

Directly from the website or app but not through Sonos unless I've paid for the digital download. Not sure what the free streaming quality on it is like either. I'd have to compare with a high quality download from Spotify.

Anyway... Spotify works for me as it's relatively cheap, unlimited and works a dream through Sonos but I get that Bandcamp and YouTube are great for previewing stuff which isn't on there.

If Bandcamp came up with a monthly subscription service it would be even better but then it would just be another Spotify I suppose.

I keep meaning to play with Soundcloud as I've heard that's good as well.

What the hell is Sonos?
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
23.11.2020 - 16:58
gavdann

Written by RaduP on 23.11.2020 at 16:53

What the hell is Sonos?

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/home
25.11.2020 - 05:41
Rating: 7
tintinb

Nice, sabbathesque doom glazed epic metal from the seventies. Also quite 'tit'illating artwork.
----
Leeches everywhere.
07.03.2021 - 08:41
Rating: 9
Necrodamus

Awesome album and the best traditional heavy metal I've heard in quite some time. Title track is a pure banger!!!
20.03.2021 - 19:30
metalbrat

Sounded like the early days of Metallica especially tracks like Worms of Earth. Sometimes its nice to listen to old style HM. Enjoyed very much.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
28.02.2022 - 18:32
Rating: 9
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Perfect pure heavy metal
28.03.2022 - 00:58
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
A decent U.S. power metal album, the album cover alone makes you want to listen. The guitar sound and tempo reminds me of early Iced Earth, although the chugging riffs here aren't always to my taste, and I'm not quite sure what to make of the synth in parts either. But I'm really taken by the vocals, there is a slight Manilla Road sound in the vocal style, which is great.
08.09.2022 - 14:39
gavdann

Finally got around to buying a copy of this. It's quite mad how I've gone full circle in my preferred medium for listening to music... vinyl => CD => downloads => streaming => vinyl.

For me this album is just a perfect palette cleansing slab of heavy metal. The vocals and the riffs are what make me come back for more. Deserved best of winner for 2020.
09.10.2023 - 03:52
Ravening Iron (the song) is a true metal anthem! It was also awesome hearing it live! The rest of the album is also amazing!

Hits total: 4920 | This month: 58