Metal Storm logo
So Called "bad" Albums I Enjoy

I was thinking of a title that could attract people but failed miserably. This is a list of albums that are often disliked, albums people find disappointing or bad but nevertheless albums I enjoy. I will also list albums I think are low rated or underappreciated, albums I think deserve(d) a better fate.

Created by: JoHn Doe | 18.11.2020

1. Black Sabbath - Never Say Die!
a really good album from a band falling apart. Could have been worse, end of an era for Black Sabbath. I've always liked it.
2. Helloween - Chameleon
I've always liked it although I do understand why others don't. Michael Kiske's vocal performance is amazing here, a highlight for me.
3. Paradise Lost - Host
although not low rated on MS - 7 still means a good album - this album is often dissed and was poorly received upon release, I remember reading two reviews back then, both 6/10, rather negative, as in not recommended. Made me curious and gave the album a chance.
4. Queen - Hot Space
an album with a bad reputation, although I think it got some respect in recent years. A special album for me for personal reasons. Sure, it does not come close to any 70s releases.
5. Deep Purple - Abandon
although not as good as Purpendicular, it's got some nice songwriting and great interaction between Lord and Morse
6. Whitesnake - Restless Heart
I've always enjoyed this, in my opinion an album that deserved a better fate.
7. Dream Theater - When Dream And Day Unite
this one is low rated and I disagree, a solid release from a young and enthusiastic Dream Theater.
8. Savatage - Fight For The Rock
their lowest rated album, but I like it, catchy and more straightforward, but still enjoyable for me.
9. Black Sabbath - Seventh Star
this one deserved a better fate, Glenn Hughes's performance alone makes the album worth checking out.
10. Marillion - Radiation
their lowest rated album, some say the band is barely recognizable here, but they were trying new things; Rothery still provides some nice guitar work and Cathedral Wall is one of the best songs they ever wrote.
11. Helstar - Multiples Of Black
people either love this one or hate it, I like it quite a bit.
12. The Gathering - Afterwords
not as bad as people say, an interesting album for me.
13. Scorpions - Lonesome Crow
really low rated on MS, undeservingly I dare say, a solid debut from a young band.
14. Rush - Test For Echo
my favorite later day Rush album
15. Judas Priest - Point Of Entry
I like this one, I recently gave it another listen and enjoyed it quite a bit
16. UFO - Misdemeanor
this one I find underrated, sure it sounds very 80s, but the songs are catchy and Phil Mogg is great.
17. Queensrÿche - Tribe
the only good later day album with Geoff Tate for me
18. Metallica - Re-Load
this one was a grower at some point, I still listen to it occasionally, better than Load.
19. AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video
one of my favorite albums with Brian Johnson.
20. Yes - Big Generator
1987 - much hated album by prog purists, understandably I guess, but I'm not one of those and I enjoy this one a lot, I like the songwriting and the performance.
21. GTR - GTR
1986 - a collaboration between Steve Hackett and Steve Howe, I can only imagine the hype when this one was released, but progheads only got pop-rock/AOR. Still better than a lot of Asia albums though.
22. Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Criminal Tango
1986 album, same situation as with Big Generator above, very 80s sounding, a great vocal performance from Chris Thompson
23. Helloween - Pink Bubbles Go Ape
the problem here is that it came after the excellent Keepers, obviously it was gonna look bad and it did. Not as bad as some say, I've always liked it.
24. Saxon - Destiny
I get it why some dislike this album, Saxon gets close to sounding like Foreigner than the heavy metal we got used to, but it's catchy and Biff still did a great job here.
25. Overkill - I Hear Black
one of the lowest rated Overkill albums, but I've enjoyed it since first listen
26. Stratovarius - Fright Night
I find this one rather low-rated, deserves better
27. Kamelot - Siége Perilous
I find this one rather low-rated as well, deserves better
28. Dreamscape - Trance Like State
underrated, deserves better
29. Quiet Riot - Quiet Riot
Paul Shortino of Rough Cutt sang here, an underrated album
30. Silent Memorial - Cosmic Handball
1999 - I find this one rather low-rated, deserves better

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by JoHn Doe ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 23   Visited by: 150 users
18.11.2020 - 20:12
JoHn Doe

Work in progress, but that's what I got for now.
I started this list in the morning, worked for a couple of hours, wrote comments for each album and when i was close to finish, my google chrome collapsed.
I wonder if I remembered all the albums from the morning, I also added a few I did not think earlier.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
18.11.2020 - 20:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't even enjoy most of these bands' good albums 🤷‍♂️

Interesting concept for a list though. Makes me wonder which albums meet the mark for me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.11.2020 - 21:00
JoHn Doe

Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.11.2020 at 20:30

I don't even enjoy most of these bands' good albums 🤷‍♂️

Interesting concept for a list though. Makes me wonder which albums meet the mark for me.

Thanks for checking my list and posting here.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
19.11.2020 - 10:35
majormalfunction

Nice subject for a list! So many of these I havn't heard for a long time but these are some that stands out:

Pink Pubble Go Ape and Chameleon are both nice records, even if Chameleon has some serious low points. I will probably be beheaded for this but I prefer both these records to Keepers of the Seven Keys II. When Dream And Day Unite, Destiny and Test For Echo are also good records with some really strong tracks.

Fight for the Rock, I Hear Black and Seventh Star are maybe not any favourites but still have their merits.

Point of Entry, Tribe, Re-load are the only that sticks out for now as a bad record. Multiples Of Black is also a weak record but that's mainly because it's terrible production.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
19.11.2020 - 10:49
JoHn Doe

Written by majormalfunction on 19.11.2020 at 10:35

Point of Entry, Tribe, Re-load are the only that sticks out for now as a bad record. Multiples Of Black is also a weak record but that's mainly because it's terrible production.

Point of Entry is not great, but it's a good album, I'd lie if i said i dislike it.
I've always liked Tribe. Even Chris DeGarmo arranged a few things here and there on the album. The only listenable thing QR did in the 2000s. I was thinking to make a list of bad albums, most of 2000s QR albums would be there, except Tribe.

As for Re-Load, I like it. I don't need to listen to the big hits, there's the skip button for that (and Fuel is a good song). Where the Wild Things Are is great, Newsted co-wrote that one, Fixxer is a great one too. It aged well for me, unlike Load that I can't stand half of it these days.
----
19.11.2020 - 17:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good list but i say 80 percent is awesome albums
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.11.2020 - 17:08
JoHn Doe

Written by Bad English on 19.11.2020 at 17:05

you'd be surprised what some people think of these albums.
Thanks for checking my list and posting.
----
19.11.2020 - 17:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JoHn Doe on 19.11.2020 at 17:08

Paradise list host is shit to me, whole DT i dont like it, rest are good albums, not best from bands, byt still i enjoy, even pink bubbles it tock lo g time to get in
----

apos;'
[image]
19.11.2020 - 17:59
JoHn Doe

Written by Bad English on 19.11.2020 at 17:54

Written by JoHn Doe on 19.11.2020 at 17:08

Paradise list host is shit to me, whole DT i dont like it, rest are good albums, not best from bands, byt still i enjoy, even pink bubbles it tock lo g time to get in

On Dream Theater's debut album, you can hear Fates Warning, Rush and Queensryche/US Power oozing out. Also, Dominici does a good job on vocals, very US Power like. I imagine if there was a DT album for you, it's their debut.
----
19.11.2020 - 21:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JoHn Doe on 19.11.2020 at 17:59

On Dream Theater's debut album, you can hear Fates Warning, Rush and Queensryche/US Power oozing out. Also, Dominici does a good job on vocals, very US Power like. I imagine if there was a DT album for you, it's their debut.

I might say first 2 are ok, but its same story whit Ulver, i like old but dont like band now. I like FW a lot. Dt was ok, but somehow lost it
----

apos;'
[image]
01.12.2020 - 14:50
R.Boxma

Hmm you seem to enjoy anything you listen to, wish I was the same.
01.12.2020 - 15:06
JoHn Doe

Written by R.Boxma on 01.12.2020 at 14:50

no, far from it.

I was thinking to do a list of albums I find bad, disappointing or awful. I might do it, some albums there will be obvious, some won't.

----
01.12.2020 - 15:30
R.Boxma

Written by JoHn Doe on 01.12.2020 at 15:06

Written by R.Boxma on 01.12.2020 at 14:50

no, far from it.

I was thinking to do a list of albums I find bad, disappointing or awful. I might do it, some albums there will be obvious, some won't.

Well there won't be a Subsignal album I bet But I will be expecting St Anger!
01.12.2020 - 15:40
JoHn Doe

Written by R.Boxma on 01.12.2020 at 15:30

Well there won't be a Subsignal album I bet But I will be expecting St Anger!

no Subsignal album, thank God.
St Anger is an obvious example, as expected.
----
01.12.2020 - 18:54
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Savatage - Fight For The Rock :
The album as a whole is pretty weak, but some songs are nice. It's still Savatage with their great sound and efficient riffs

Black Sabbath - Seventh Star :
This one is kinda average hard rock tunes, but it's not a bad album. Most of the songs are cool

Judas Priest - Point Of Entry :
I really like this one. The lyrics are cheesy, but there's a couple of hits, and a very strong groove / blues vibe throughout the album. The production is good too, and I like this era of Halford, when he goofes around a lot.
----
01.12.2020 - 19:15
JoHn Doe

Written by Ansercanagicus on 01.12.2020 at 18:54

Savatage - Fight For The Rock :
The album as a whole is pretty weak, but some songs are nice. It's still Savatage with their great sound and efficient riffs

Black Sabbath - Seventh Star :
This one is kinda average hard rock tunes, but it's not a bad album. Most of the songs are cool

Judas Priest - Point Of Entry :
I really like this one. The lyrics are cheesy, but there's a couple of hits, and a very strong groove / blues vibe throughout the album. The production is good too, and I like this era of Halford, when he goofes around a lot.

thanks for checking my list.

I agree with what you say here.

I initially wanted to have Judas Priest - Turbo in the list but on MS Point of Entry is just a little bit rated lower, to my surprise.

I like Glenn Hughes singing a lot, his performance is great on Seventh Star. His other two collaborations with Tony Iommi are great, too.
----
01.12.2020 - 23:26
Archie 666

Your list gave me an idea for my own list. I think it's going to be a 'So Called Meh Albums I Love' list. Hope you don't mind me stealing your idea because I'm doing it anyway. Stay heavy!
01.12.2020 - 23:41
JoHn Doe

Written by Archie 666 on 01.12.2020 at 23:26

Your list gave me an idea for my own list. I think it's going to be a 'So Called Meh Albums I Love' list. Hope you don't mind me stealing your idea because I'm doing it anyway. Stay heavy!

go ahead
----
13.07.2021 - 13:24
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
I agree with Point of Entry. (I actually love all Judas Priest albums - they simply can't do anything wrong for me - even for other "bad" albums like Ram it Down or Redeemer of Souls)
On a different note, I just listened to Testament's First Strike Still Deadly and I loved it even though it gets pretty harsh reviews (for example on Metal Archives it has an average of 56%). Maybe it's because they just re-recorded old songs, but I found they did it very well. What do you think of that album?
13.07.2021 - 13:29
JoHn Doe

Written by F3ynman2000 on 13.07.2021 at 13:24

I agree with Point of Entry. (I actually love all Judas Priest albums - they simply can't do anything wrong for me - even for other "bad" albums like Ram it Down or Redeemer of Souls)
On a different note, I just listened to Testament's First Strike Still Deadly and I loved it even though it gets pretty harsh reviews (for example on Metal Archives it has an average of 56%). Maybe it's because they just re-recorded old songs, but I found they did it very well. What do you think of that album?

It's a fine album, I like it, I didn't know it had a bad reputation (and I don't use Metal Archives).
----
26.10.2021 - 20:27
AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video
one of my favorite albums with Brian Johnson.
insane description
Quote:
so literally all songs from Brian is = to auto-love 4U xD
23.07.2023 - 01:05
Guib
Thrash Talker
Great list man! I couldn't agree more with the Helloween albums, I enjoy both Chameleon and Pink Bubbles. Also, Never Say Die! is an amazing album I didnt actually know it was hated lol (edit: well maybe not hated but disliked?)
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.07.2023 - 09:32
JoHn Doe

Written by Guib on 23.07.2023 at 01:05

Never Say Die! is an amazing album I didn't actually know it was hated lol (edit: well maybe not hated but disliked?)

It's got a rating of.6.7 on MS. I think it's an album that deserves better. Not much better ratings elsewhere.
----

Hits total: 1367 | This month: 21