Metal Storm logo
Insomniac Doze : Albums To Sleep To

Can't successfully sleep ? Feeling insomniac ? Try out putting one of these albums on ! 100% based on my personal experience, which means it's gonna be updated as I try out other albums.
PS : the doez corporation™ doesn't take responsibility in case of nightmares, night terror or other side effects that may occur during your sleep
PS2 : an album getting me to sleep doesn't mean it's bad nor boring

Created by: Roman Doez | 31.12.2020

1. Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics...
Doom metal is probably the best option to get to sleep, and this one especially is a great choice. Repetitive and hypnotic riffs, heavy production, long tracks, it works perfectly.
2. Darkspace - Dark Space I
What's better than some ambient black to sleep ? This one may cause nightmares though, but I mean it still counts as sleeping
3. Anna Von Hausswolff - Dead Magic
This one got me through one of the most awful nights I've ever had. Poorly isolated room + rain is NOT a good combo, I can tell you
4. Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame
I've actually never listened to this album other than to sleep, and I've never made it past track one, so I have no actual idea of what the album sounds like
5. Summoning - Stronghold
Fairly repetitive and hypnotic riffs is a good way to join the unconscious realm.
6. Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity
This one is actually quite boring, which is why you can fall asleep to it. I bet The Astonishing would be the same.
7. The 3rd And The Mortal - Painting On Glass
I don't know what this is but it worked super well, and it also sounded super good, definitely need to check it out
8. Hjarnidaudi - Pain:Noise:March
I don't know what this one is either, but my god it sounded super cool, definitely need to give it another listen as well.
9. Desire - Infinity... A Timeless Journey Through An Emotional Dream
This is some pretty neat death doom (not sure why it's labelled as regular doom) but took me like 15 minutes or so to get me to sleep, but I had a pretty nice night afterwards.
10. Abruptum - In Umbra Malitae Ambulabo, In Aeternum In Triumpho Tenebrarum
I don't know what that is but it's pretty eerie, and I probably had my weirdest dream in months after listening to it. Worked wonderfully.
11. Angst Skvadron - Flukt
That was some pretty good black metal, although it didn't lead to the best night ever so I'm not sure I'd recommend it that much.
12. Gnaw Their Tongues - Per Flagellum Sanguemque, Tenebras Veneramus
From the few minutes I heard of it, holy hell this album sounds fantastic, like really incredible, I have to listen to it ASAP. Anyways this one got me a rather nice, albeit weird, night of sleep, so I'd recommend it.
13. Orthrelm - Ov
With this one you'll either fall into slumber or madness, but if you successfully fall asleep, you'll have a great night
14. Aarni - Bathos
Avant-Garde doom ? I don't know what the hell that is but it sure did help me sleep
15. In The Woods... - Heart Of The Ages
Pretty calm and sweet black metal, one of the best albums of the genre definitely
16. Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun
There's quite nothing better for your sleep than this release, it's calm, ambient and warm all the way, definitely great
17. Sadness (USA) - I Want To Be There
Wonderful post black album, really helped me, I love it
18. Twisted Into Form - Then Comes Affliction To Awaken The Dreamer
I have no idea of how I fell asleep to that, this is non stop technical stuff, and while it's great it's not really the best things to sleep to.
19. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞
I've been getting into GY!BE recently and they're really amazing, and they're also quite useful to get to sleep, cannot recommend this enough
20. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
This album works just as much as the previous one, pretty neat
21. Maudlin Of The Well - Leaving Your Body Map
Fantastic avantgarde metal with a lot of calm and sweet passages, worked wonders
22. Burzum - Filosofem
Do I really need to explain this one? The 25 minutes long ambient piece in there is more than enough for a good night of sleep.
23. Sunn O))) - Life Metal
I followed Radu's advice, and it was a great one, this put me to sleep quite easily and I'm pretty sure to come back to it eventually.
24. Vinterriket - Lichtschleier
Ambient / Dungeon Synth album, you know the drill, calm and perfect for a good night of sleep.
25. Earth - Earth 2
Drone pioneer of an album, of course much like all drone it gets you to sleep easily
26. Forgotten Woods - As The Wolves Gather
One of the best hidden gems of black metal
27. Jute Gyte - Impermanence
Nice weird atmo black
28. Paysage d'Hiver - Das Tor
What do I need to say, it's paysage d'hiver
29. Darkspace - Darkspace III I
Just like the album above, what do I need to say
30. Bríi - Sem Propósito
Best metal album of 2021 so far
31. Profanum - Profanum Aeternum - Eminence Of Satanic Imperial Art
Black metal but the guitars are replaced by a piano
32. Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Great black metal
33. Mesarthim - Isolate
Some of the new kings of atmo black
34. Wongraven - Fjelltronen
Some odd folkey dungeon synth
35. La Torture Des Ténèbres - Choirs Of Emptiness
I think I fell in love with this band
36. La Torture Des Ténèbres - Civilization Is The Tomb Of Our Noble Gods
They somehow improve with every release
37. La Torture Des Ténèbres - IV - Memoirs Of A Machine Girl
And this might be one of my new favorite albums ever
38. ===== Stuff Not Currently Featured On MS =====
39. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
This one got me through SO MANY nights, even though Time woke me up several times, it's just a matter of seconds until you get back to sleep. Sadly, I listened to it so much by now that I just sing along every song in my head, which is not really helpful to sleep.
40. Pink Floyd - Meddle
On the other hand though, meddle has one massive advantage over TDSOTM : Echoes. Echoes is just so calm and relaxed for most of the track that falling asleep to it is very easy, definitely the best Pink Floyd if you're sleepy
41. Neptune Towers - Caravans To Empire Algol
Droney ambient electronic release by the man Fenriz himself ! It gets you to sleep very easily
42. György Ligeti - The Best Of Ligeti
Weird classical music that spirals into madness at times, probably will give you nightmares but also a good night of sleep
43. Vindkaldr - Ambient I
Some sweet dungeon synth, Moonsnatcher is such a lovely and warm track, you'll very likely fall asleep to it
44. Depressive Silence - Depressive Silence II
One of the best dungeon synth albums ever made is also one of the best ways to fall asleep, I love this one
45. Gates - Moth Have Eaten The Core
Noise / Drone albums are always the best way to get to sleep, and this one is no exception, it worked super quickly on me and I can't do anything but recommend it
46. C418 - Minecraft - Volume Alpha
I fell in love again with Minecraft music recently and its relaxing and calm character got me through a very bad night, it's absolutely lovely, recommended.
47. Endoki Forest - An Evil Of Nordic Frost
This is some pretty eerie dungeon synth, that first track got me worried for my sleep, thankfully I did manage to rest nonetheless and had a pretty alright night.
48. Aghast - Hexerei Im Zwielicht Der Finsternis
This one sounded like a very eerie dungeon synth album, with a very special use of vocals, it sounded really cool and helped me to sleep quite well, really great choice.
49. Chakra - Satekoso
Some sweet japanese pop from the 80's, very lovely and relaxed stuff, definitely recommended
50. Somme - Prussian Blood
Nice raw black EP, probably a great genre to sleep to
51. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
This is such a wonderful album, and one of the most influential in shoegaze, it's dreamy and fits perfectly a good night of sleep
52. Solanum - Spheres Of Time
Sweet ambient / dungeon synth, as usual, works just as well as the other ones
53. Dim - Compendium II
Same description than the one above
54. Guild Of Lore - Winterstead
Same again
55. Beach House - 7
This is quite a sweet pop album, very calm and a perfect fit for a good night of sleep, of course
56. Xiu Xiu - OH NO
2021 is already offering us wonderful stuff, and this is one of them. Most importantly it's quite calming and helps to sleep
57. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
No need to present Aphex Twin, kings of IDM. This album is, much like every of them in that list, calm and helps to sleep.
58. Bel Canto - Shimmering, Warm And Bright
Not really sure what this is but I liked it, recommended much like everything in there
59. Alberich - NATO-Uniformen
Nice power electronics
60. Goreshit - Misdirection
2021 album of the year, fantastic breakcore
61. Prurient - Rainbow Mirror
That album gave me the weirdest dreams I ever had, genuinely one of the most curious experiences I've had while sleeping
62. Fishmans - Long Season
This is just an all out fantastic release, I don't really know what genre it is but I love it
63. Valor - La Lune Noire
Sweet dungeon synth
64. Archy Marshall - A New Place 2 Drown
Really nice hip hop
65. Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
Simply the best breakcore album ever made
66. Ashra - New Age Of Earth
Some nice droney ambient
67. Offermose - Stilhedens Tarn
Best dunegon synth album of 2020
68. Navicon Torture Technologies - The Church Of Dead Girls
Pretty nice noise / power electronics
69. Branford Marsalis - Romare Bearden Revealed
Pretty neat jazz, got me sleeping in no time
70. Dinner Auf Uranos - 50 Sommer - 50 Winter
Side project of nocte obducta, really good stuff

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Roman Doez ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 21   Visited by: 49 users
03.01.2021 - 14:11
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Now that you've successfully cured my insomnia... I'm suffering from a chronic gastritis, my hair is thinning, late night liquor supports my snoring and also my dry and rough elbows are slowly starting to worry me.

Dear Dr. Doez, which albums can you recommend in order to relieve the particular symptoms?
----
signatures = SPAM
03.01.2021 - 15:55
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Starvynth on 03.01.2021 at 14:11

Now that you've successfully cured my insomnia... I'm suffering from a chronic gastritis, my hair is thinning, late night liquor supports my snoring and also my dry and rough elbows are slowly starting to worry me.

Dear Dr. Doez, which albums can you recommend in order to relieve the particular symptoms?

I'd recommend a Yes self titled for the gastritis. Its cheerfulness will take out all the negative effects of the illness. For your hair, a good old Bolt Thrower will do the trick, Those Once Loyal or The IVth Crusade are both effective treatments. About your snoring, Blut Aus Nord's MoRT will take care of that. For your elbows, Mastodon's first two albums will make you air drum enough to unblock them.
That will be $115 please.
03.01.2021 - 16:10
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
I've slept on Sunn O)))'s Life Metal more times than I can count.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
03.01.2021 - 16:31
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by RaduP on 03.01.2021 at 16:10

I seriously need to listen to Sunn O))), heard many great things about them
03.01.2021 - 20:43
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Roman Doez on 03.01.2021 at 16:31

Drop whatever the fuck you doing, fellow metal storm warrior, and listen to the most beautiful monstrous truck ever crafted. I'm pretty sure your horizons for metal will drastically gets altered.
04.01.2021 - 20:00
Zap
Written by Roman Doez on 03.01.2021 at 16:31

Are you saying you've slept on listening to them for too long?
12.01.2021 - 06:53
tintinb

Not a single night goes where I haven't slept without putting on a metal album. It helps me not to worry about the day's happenings or tomorrow's demands and lulls me to a great night's sleep.

TDSOTM = To demonstrate some of the music. Right?
----
Leeches everywhere.
12.02.2021 - 11:41
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Added :
- The 3rd And The Mortal
- Hjarnidaudi
- Gates
- C418
I've been having a pretty rough sleep recently, hopefully that brings more albums in the list !
I also discovered that Funeral's Tragedies doesn't work at all and nearly wasted 30 minutes of sleep listening to it.
14.02.2021 - 13:54
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Added :
- Desire
- Endoki Forest
Yeah when you need two albums in one night you know you're not having the best sleep in the world
21.02.2021 - 23:09
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Added :
-Abruptum
-Angst Skvadron
-Aghast
-Gnaw Their Tongues
14.03.2021 - 18:19
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Added :
- Aarni
- Chakra
- In The Woods
- Ulver
14.04.2021 - 11:51
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Added :
- Sadness
- Twisted Into Form
- GY!BE
- Somme
- Maudlin Of the Well
- My Bloody Valentine
22.05.2021 - 00:27
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Added :
- Solanum
- Dim
- Vinterriket
- Guild Of Lore
- Beach House
- Xiu Xiu
- Aphex Twin
- Bel Canto
- Burzum
- Sunn O)))
20.06.2021 - 13:30
Mehrad

You really need more Sleep
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
20.06.2021 - 14:21
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Mehrad on 20.06.2021 at 13:30

You really need more Sleep

Hahaha I've heard many great things about them, definitely need to try them out
27.06.2021 - 01:58
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I have to agree with your number 1, Tbh tho most stuff by Electric Wizard makes me Fall into a Trance, and for some reason Opeth make me sleepy.
27.06.2021 - 12:32
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 27.06.2021 at 01:58

I have to agree with your number 1, Tbh tho most stuff by Electric Wizard makes me Fall into a Trance, and for some reason Opeth make me sleepy.

Oh it's not a ranking in any particular order, it's just a list of all the albums I slept to
27.06.2021 - 12:59
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Roman Doez on 27.06.2021 at 12:32

Oh it's not a ranking in any particular order, it's just a list of all the albums I slept to

Ok understood🖒I see you have a few Pink Floyd albums listed, If I was to make my own list I would have to add A Sauceful Of Secrets.
06.06.2022 - 22:02
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Quote:
Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame - I've actually never listened to this album other than to sleep, and I've never made it past track one, so I have no actual idea of what the album sounds like

Next time you listen to it, drink lots of coffee to stay awake! I'm sure you'll enjoy the album even without drifting off to sleep. But who knows? Maybe the entrancing atmosphere of Middle-Earth will lure you into the embrace of unconsciousness regardless
07.06.2022 - 01:43
mz

Bong - Beyond Ancient Space is my favorite album to fall asleep to.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.09.2022 - 13:44
Draugen

What a great list! So many interesting bands and albums that I'll have to check out.

There's a few albums that immediately came to mind that I've used for this:

The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls With Sand
Menace Ruine - Alight In Ashes
Drown - Unsleep

Non-metal: Any album by Fvnerals or Barn Owl.

Hits total: 796 | This month: 12