11. Legends Never Die
12. Haben Sie Wien Schon Bei Nacht Gesehn [bonus]

Recipe for Viribus Unitis:
- 2 bottles of good guitar melodies
- 570 ml catchy symphonic elements
- 140 grams of extremely sugary lyrics
- 1 Alternate History concept cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons of absolute insanity

Put all the ingredients in a pot. Let simmer, but don't boil! Remove any form of grounded reality before serving. Enjoy!

So, let's start this year like we ended last year, by reviewing a power metal album. However, truth be told, Viribus Unitis is as different as can be from Persuader's record. That being said, I really enjoyed listening to this one.

Let's start with talking about the lyrics and concept story. So what's the story about? Glad you asked. It's about a guy from Austria in a position of power (no, not that one). I'm talking about Archduke Rudolf of Austria, son of Franz Joseph of Austria and Elisabeth of Bavaria (Sisi). And if that doesn't ring a bell, trust me you're not the only one. So, I did what any good researcher does when he has to look something up? I used Wikipedia. Turns out Archduke Rudolf committed suicide while his father and mother were still firmly on the throne. But, what does a dead man have to do with this story? That's a good question and this is where the aforementioned "alternate history" comes into play. Dragony decided to make a story where Rudolf uses black magic, Sisi gets brought back from the dead and starts rampaging through Europe with an army of zombies. Oh and Franz Joseph I becomes a cyborg by the hands of Nikola Tesla and fights against the zombie army of Sisi? Thematically and lyrically it's basically Wolfenstein, but with a pre-World War theme? Cheesy, over-the-top and fun.

Enough about the story, let's talk about the production, and production-wise they have done a good job. Guitars and bass have grit to them and the drums fit in well. The keyboard and symphonic elements are prominent in the mix, which really helps with their effectiveness (more on that later).

The band itself also delivers a good performance throughout. The thing that added a lot to the experience for me, though, are the vocals. Siegfried Samer manages to deliver a vocal performance that's exactly right for this album. A nice blend between epic and dramatic, but not overly serious at the same time.

Instrumentally it's really solid and also quite varied. From a piece of slightly altered Viennese waltz music flowing into an energetic fast-paced song to a song that has a bit of a marching feel to it. It's all here, all of it really catchy, and the keyboard and symphonic touches are a big reason why it is so catchy.

However, what I will say though, is that Viribus Unitis isn't exactly going to surprise you with its music. Dragony created a record that's really easy to listen to, no matter what mood you are in. It's well made and very effective, but doesn't stray too far away from the things you expect from a power metal record.

You know, thematically this reminded me of the Victorius album from last year. And by that I mean that it has a concept story that is (almost) as bonkers and insane. Coincidentally, this record is very similar in terms of how enjoyable it is; I do recommend Viribus Unitis for the people that do like power metal with some B-movie vibes to it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 08.01.2021 by You know I'm right, you just haven't realised it yet...

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 72 users
08.01.2021 - 10:29
Rating: 7
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
The theme of this is so balls to the walls crazy that I can't imagine how the music itself can live up to that.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
08.01.2021 - 13:37
Rating: 8
tominator
At best deranged
Written by RaduP on 08.01.2021 at 10:29

The theme of this is so balls to the walls crazy that I can't imagine how the music itself can live up to that.

You're right that the theme is definitely the show stealer here. The music itself is very traditional, but overall solid.
09.01.2021 - 01:17
nikarg

Quote:
Sisi gets brought back from the dead and starts rampaging through Europe with an army of zombies

I had to read this three times and ask myself if I was high
09.01.2021 - 03:15
Rating: 8
tominator
At best deranged
Written by nikarg on 09.01.2021 at 01:17

Quote:
Sisi gets brought back from the dead and starts rampaging through Europe with an army of zombies

I had to read this three times and ask myself if I was high

I can't blame you for that. I didn't really expect to write such a line in 2021 or even in my life.

At first when there was another development in the plot I was like: "Wait, what?!? But, I quickly realized I just had to give in to the insanity of it.
09.01.2021 - 15:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This is hilarious, awesome review, now we can send Sara Connor to 1890 Austria to Kill that idiot whit funy mustasge.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 2058 | This month: 19