05. Its Always Something
06. Lost My Brain?Once Again
07. Nothin' To Lose
08. Gonna Be Alright
09. Ain't Gonna Get Me
10. All I Ever Get
11. Save A Peace For Me

Hold my Pepsi.

Latter-day Suicidal Tendencies releases should come with a disclaimer that listening to said music will often lead listeners to wear out the collar of their shirts, given the awkward tugging that will commence as the album plays out. While the band will always be one of the pre-eminent bands in the hardcore scene thanks to their groundbreaking releases like their self-titled release back in 1983, they are a band who have largely lived off their legacy for much of their later career rather than adding to it. Still Cyco Punk After All These Years is an appropriately titled record and ultimately one that sees the band tread water rather than come close to drowning in it at least.

Having largely moved back to their hardcore roots with only the occasional element from their successful dalliance with thrash during the late 80's to mid 90's remaining in the band's music, the band strip back their sound where it once offered the band a route out of a genre that can easily trap bands in creative cul-de-sacs if they aren't careful. While it appeared the band had wisely steered themselves around this, since Freedumb the band have reversed direction and headed full spin down said cul-de-sac to their own detriment.
With that said, however, much like World Gone Mad before, this change of direction hasn't sounded this fun in years; while Still Cyco Punk After All These Years isn't great, it is at the very least a fun listen even if it offers little lasting enjoyment beyond its playtime. Tracks like "F.U.B.A.R." and "Nothin' To Lose" are unadulterated fun for all their shortcomings and will see you bop your head along to them.

The band's injection of thrash elements into segments of some of the tracks does enhance many of the tracks and elevate them beyond so-so hardcore tracks. "All Kinda Crazy" with its thrash-influenced solo does make it stand out more than a track like "Ain't Gonna Get Me". This isn't to say the band's hardcore-styled tracks are bad, but they seem very run-of-the-mill and average in comparison to not only the band's own earlier work, but the genre at large. "All I Ever Get" is a solid example of this; nothing about it beyond the name of the band slapped on it would grab your attention.

The presence of Dave Lombardo behind the drums does at least ensure the percussion section is powerful and full of flair; while he is constrained by the material in comparison to his other work, he is able to inject plenty of character in his playing. While hardcore does often lean on personality rather than precision for its quality, Lombardo for me gets a pass on this given his personality is precision.

Pleasants however does sound very generic on guitar; there is little about what he plays beyond the odd solo that really makes him stand out in a crowd of hardcore guitarists. His power chord-driven assault is capable and not bad by any means, but it doesn't enhance the album much or allow him to develop much character. For someone as talented as he is given his work with Infectious Grooves, it is a phoned-in performance; the only exception as a whole would be "Sippin' From The Insanitea", which allows Pleasants more room beyond constant power chords.

Overall Still Cyco Punk After All These Years stands alongside World Gone Mad as being a late career mini-resurgence in quality for the band. While it doesn't come close to the band's earlier work, it at least ensures your collars are no longer at risk of stretching unless 13 accidently slips into your CD player.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 08.01.2021 by Just because I don't care doesn't mean I'm not listening.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 31 users
08.01.2021 - 23:43
Kub

Errr... This is not a new music by ST, it's a re-recording of Cyco Miko's 1996 album, "Lost My Brain! (Once Again)". Just like the "Still Cyco After All These Years" is re-recording of songs from their first few albums. One would think that the album title is a dead giveaway, even if you're not familiar with Cyco Miko.
09.01.2021 - 14:39
omne metallum

Written by Kub on 08.01.2021 at 23:43

Errr... This is not a new music by ST, it's a re-recording of Cyco Miko's 1996 album, "Lost My Brain! (Once Again)". Just like the "Still Cyco After All These Years" is re-recording of songs from their first few albums. One would think that the album title is a dead giveaway, even if you're not familiar with Cyco Miko.

I'm aware, that's why I called it a latter day release rather than new.
----
Just because I'm not listening doesn't mean I don't care

Hits total: 773 | This month: 8