01. There Is A Beacon
02. Merciless Angel Of Pestilence
03. Slither O Serpent
04. Chalice Of Ruin
05. His Voiceless Whisper
06. Hammer Of Satan
07. The Splendour Of Stillborn Stars
08. Theion

Such mysticism.‭ ‬Such wickedness.‭ ‬Such mastery.

Malakhim means‭ "‬Holy Servants"‬ in Hebrew.‭ ‬And if that was not yet clear,‭ ‬they are referring to being Servants of The Unholy One.‭ ‬If you have‭ ‬sensitivity to satanic imagery,‭ ‬you might as well stop reading now.‭ ‬The theme,‭ ‬lyrics,‭ ‬and general atmosphere ooze trve malevolent black metal.‭ ‬The mysterious Swedish‭ ‬quintet has been active since‭ ‬2016‭ ‬and has already released a demo,‭ ‬an EP,‭ ‬and a live EP.‭ ‬An express sonic review told me I had been missing out on an incredibly promising band.‭ ‬Theion is their debut full-length offering and is hopefully here to confirm their full potential.

The first surprise is that this album is not a rehash of their previous material.‭ ‬Most bands would have re-recorded the songs on the EP and tacked on the ones from their demo,‭ ‬called it their debut and nobody would have complained.‭ ‬Seeing the quality of those earlier songs,‭ ‬it‭ ‬would have been a fine debut album indeed.‭ ‬But no,‭ ‬Theion is completely original material.‭

No frills here; their brand of orthodox black metal is precise and crushing.‭ No one is shoe-gazing or post-doing anything. ‬"There is a Beacon‭"‬ has got to be one of the most intense openers I have heard lately.‭ ‬It grabs your attention and never lets go for close to‭ ‬7‭ ‬minutes.‭ I‬t sounds retro in style with shades of fellow countrymen Dark Funeral and at times of Dissection‭ (most ‬notably on‭ "Merciless Angel of Pestilence‭"‬).‭ ‬However,‭ ‬it also evokes modern bands such as Uada,‭ Gaerea,‭ ‬or Mgła.‭ ‬It would be hard to pin their overall sound in time.‭ ‬Let‭'s just agree to state that Malakhim have found the perfect balance.‭ ‬It is both extreme and memorable.

Whoever the singer is,‭ ‬he is doing an awesome job at channeling Niklas Kvarforth‭ of Shining‭ ‬on‭ "Slither O Serpent‭".‭ ‬It is obvious that the band members must all be seasoned musicians.‭ ‬The songs are really tight,‭ ‬fast,‭ ‬intense and perfectly rendered.‭ ‬Not more so than‭ "Hammer of Satan", which is not a power ballad‬.‭ ‬The production is pitch perfect.‭ ‬It makes me‭ ‬want to turn it up even more to fully enjoy it all.‭ ‬Also,‭ ‬the menacing artwork is sublime.‭

Theion is what I would expect traditional black metal to sound like in‭ ‬2021:‭ ‬Intense yet clear,‭ ‬mystic,‭ ‬evil yet captivating.‭ ‬This is full of emotion,‭ ‬full of energy.‭ ‬Malakhim set the bar really high in‭ ‬2021‭ ‬for other acts to follow.‭ ‬And as a bonus,‭ ‬you can also explore their earlier material since they chose not to use those demo and EP songs.‭ ‬This might be the slap in the face you need to start the year on a positive albeit malign note.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 10.01.2021 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 101 users
11.01.2021 - 11:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Great band, dark wicked atmosfere in great forward flowing black metal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.01.2021 - 03:03
Rating: 8
tominator
At best deranged
Gave this one a spin earlier today and was pleasantly surprised. Like you mentioned it feels pretty traditional with some modern touches to it. Looking forward to their future releases.

Hits total: 1967 | This month: 8