Metal Storm logo
One World With Music

Original post

Posted by Lupas, 30.07.2007 - 16:16
Recently i have notice a sentence written by Amethyst( MS Member ) that says , in a short form, Music can united our world. This in my opinion is very likely to be , if we let music to join us. Music , every type of music have no borders with each other, have no lang, and many things that differ from each other. Let speak and live with music , and everything would be better . I know that it is difficult or this may be another dream that never come true but we have this hope in music.
Want do you say about this? It is true that music can unite our world or not ?
23.12.2009 - 19:24
Torelli
Written by Lupas on 23.12.2009 at 18:06

I can't believe that from the last post here was 1 yr and 8mths ago. Well this topic about music and the use of music to unite different cultures and nations seem to be my essay for a degree course But i must relate music / religion/ functionality / and motivation so it is going to be a nightmare for me But i have this idea so i stick on it , maybe someday i will recieve a nobel prize for this

What are you studying?

Anyway, music can work both ways I suppose. First, the negative aspects: music is one of the most effictive ways to maintaining boundaries. Take a look the folk music for example, that often makes a representation of an ethnic group. By creating such things as "norwegian", "swedish" or "bosnian" music, we create an "us" and "them" by defining what "swedish" music (for example) is and what it's not. This become even mor evident whe we take a look national anthems, just look at the french national anthem's lyrics(or anyone actually) to see my point.

On the other hand, music have united in some cases, for example the mutal influense in yiddish and romani music, do to both groups were stigmatized. The "negro spiritual" songs is also another historic example that worked to unite black people in the US history of enslavment.
24.12.2009 - 09:34
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Torelli on 23.12.2009 at 19:24

Written by Lupas on 23.12.2009 at 18:06

I can't believe that from the last post here was 1 yr and 8mths ago. Well this topic about music and the use of music to unite different cultures and nations seem to be my essay for a degree course But i must relate music / religion/ functionality / and motivation so it is going to be a nightmare for me But i have this idea so i stick on it , maybe someday i will recieve a nobel prize for this

What are you studying?

Anyway, music can work both ways I suppose. First, the negative aspects: music is one of the most effictive ways to maintaining boundaries. Take a look the folk music for example, that often makes a representation of an ethnic group. By creating such things as "norwegian", "swedish" or "bosnian" music, we create an "us" and "them" by defining what "swedish" music (for example) is and what it's not. This become even mor evident whe we take a look national anthems, just look at the french national anthem's lyrics(or anyone actually) to see my point.

On the other hand, music have united in some cases, for example the mutal influense in yiddish and romani music, do to both groups were stigmatized. The "negro spiritual" songs is also another historic example that worked to unite black people in the US history of enslavment.

Well i'm studying for a BA in Philosophy and Theology and i have in my mind a study of the effect of music on persons, how it may motivate them etc etc.

You make a good point here, describing some folk music and i also agree with you . Music is also an expression of a person or people. So Music can also be used as a message towards other nation or ethnic nation . But music is a mean , a way to express oneself and yes it is used as a weapon toward other people .
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
25.12.2009 - 01:01
Torelli
Written by Lupas on 24.12.2009 at 09:34

Well i'm studying for a BA in Philosophy and Theology and i have in my mind a study of the effect of music on persons, how it may motivate them etc etc.

You make a good point here, describing some folk music and i also agree with you . Music is also an expression of a person or people. So Music can also be used as a message towards other nation or ethnic nation . But music is a mean , a way to express oneself and yes it is used as a weapon toward other people .

Sounds quite intresting, best of luck with it!

Well, if you are looking for how music inpact people, take a look how nationalism, religon and music intersect. For example, nationalistic parties (at least in Europe) play on christianized cultural habits, souch as christian hymns. In Denmark, do to the political climate,you don't talk about christian hymns anymore, you talk about danish christian hymns, and in Sweden the swedish democrats(a nationalistic party) take their protests of the phorbition of signing chrisitian hymns at speechdays* as a
political argument against multiculturalism.

* The issue evolves that some schools have stopped signing christian hymns at speechdays, as a sign of respect to other religions and cultures. Sweden democrates, being a nationalistic party, object to this.
26.12.2009 - 16:28
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Lupas: Don't worry man, there will be "world unity", by the hand of the NWO, if you believe all the conspiracies out there, particularily the films by Alex Jones.
You're right about the US man, I imagine part of your response to my post back then was possibly partial to the fact that I was registered in the US..thankfully, I'm out of that country now.

Torbjörn is quite right in all he says though, good thinking man. Music being a form of peoples thoughts and expressions is potentially a dangerous combination, again I agree with Torbjörn and would have to say it creates secular groups that distinguish themselves from others... it's kind of unfortunate but, even within metal we have boundaries, division, discontent for one another based upon their choice of sub-genre within the metal culture. As much as I detest some of the more popular metal bands, I try to keep in mind that at least it's metal and it's a good thing some people are still embracing a more rebellous music...even if it's stuff like new or newer Metallica, post-Max Cavalera Sepultura, dare I even go as far to say Slipknot or CoF. Though, I still can't be too lenient on WITTR fans...
23.11.2010 - 18:53
Lupas
Maximus
Hey , i'm still alive in a way or another. This topic is going to be my dissertation for next year. All information that was written here was the trigger that lead my mind to do this. Thanks for all and keep up writing if you have something to add
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy