Metal Storm logo
2020 Metal Storm Awards Now Open

This whole pandemic erupted in earnest around this time last year, when we were embroiled in the 2019 Metal Storm Awards. Well, it's still here, you're still trapped inside, and you probably need to stock up on some more music recommendations to get you through. We don't know about you all, but we've been looking forward to this year's MSAs a lot more than usual, and it is our great pleasure to announce that voting is once again open.

You have the entire month of February to listen and cast your votes, so be sure to explore all of the excellent nominees we have laid out for you. Have at it.

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.02.2021 by ScreamingSteelUS

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 137   Visited by: 732 users
01.02.2021 - 00:04
Starvynth
i c deaf people
I can't believe this is online and the site didn't implode.
----
signatures = SPAM
01.02.2021 - 00:05
nikarg

The most exciting time of the year has arrived!
01.02.2021 - 00:10
musclassia

I'm curious to see which album we get criticized for overlooking first
01.02.2021 - 00:12
Ivor
Staff
Written by Starvynth on 01.02.2021 at 00:04

I can't believe this is online and the site didn't implode.

This can be corrected if sir so desires.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
01.02.2021 - 00:16
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Arf, you missed Lord Fist in the heavy metal category, shame on you
----
01.02.2021 - 00:25
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by musclassia on 01.02.2021 at 00:10

It's gonna be Lord Fist, whoever that may be.
----
signatures = SPAM
01.02.2021 - 00:30
musclassia

Written by Starvynth on 01.02.2021 at 00:25

Written by musclassia on 01.02.2021 at 00:10

It's gonna be Lord Fist, whoever that may be.

I will confess, that wasn't my expectation.

Written by Ansercanagicus on 01.02.2021 at 00:16

Arf, you missed Lord Fist in the heavy metal category, shame on you

To be honest, I think this is a case where 'missed' is accurate; I'm not sure any of us had even heard of that album :/
01.02.2021 - 00:49
nikarg

I did listen to Lord Fist and did not think the album was worthy of nomination. The others who listened to it didn't think so either, I guess. But I found out about Molten Chains because of Ansercanagicus and - if I remember well - it was a unanimous decision to nominate their album.
01.02.2021 - 00:55
nikarg

Can you please make sure you have checked ALL the categories before you place your write-in votes? The album you wish to vote for may have been nominated in another category than the one you expected. Of course, you can then tell us how clueless we are as far as genres and styles are concerned and you will probably be right.

And, of course, take your time and listen to the nominees before you vote. You have a whole month, we are not going to close the voting before the 1st of March.
01.02.2021 - 01:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
And make sure your write in was actually released on 2020.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2021 - 02:04
Scintil

Kaatayra - Só quem viu o relâmpago à sua direita sabe in folk metal category
Not folk enough? Or not good enough?
01.02.2021 - 02:07
nikarg

Written by Scintil on 01.02.2021 at 02:04

Check out my comment just above.

You will find it in avantgarde.
01.02.2021 - 02:17
Scintil

Written by nikarg on 01.02.2021 at 02:07

Check out my comment just above.

You will find it in avantgarde.

Did not expect to see it in avantgarde, fits more into folk imo
But regardless, glad It has not been forgotten
01.02.2021 - 03:19
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
We already got the missed category comment, now waiting for that "band x wasn't nominated, are you crazy?" comment
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.02.2021 - 03:38
IBlackened

Written by Scintil on 01.02.2021 at 02:04

It was hella weird reading a comment in portuguese until I realized it was the title of an album.
----
Their old stuff is better.
01.02.2021 - 03:51
Scintil

Witches Hammer wasn't nominated for Thrash, are you crazy?

Written by Karlabos on 01.02.2021 at 03:19

We already got the missed category comment, now waiting for that "band x wasn't nominated, are you crazy?" comment

You're welcome
01.02.2021 - 05:52
tintinb

Definitely a somber feeling to this year's awards.
----
Leeches everywhere.
01.02.2021 - 08:13
The Melting Snow

Can i vote for Draconian's album in all categories?
01.02.2021 - 08:53
Ball Fondlers

Written by The Melting Snow on 01.02.2021 at 08:13

Can i vote for Draconian's album in all categories?

Yes. If that makes you happy
01.02.2021 - 08:56
Ball Fondlers

Good job everyone. It looks like lot's of albums to get through.

I haven't found the obvious omission yet that has been left out on purpose just to cause angst. Or you forgot this year
01.02.2021 - 09:19
NastyHero

Hello, I'm back, maybe someone remembers me because of all the complaining and stuff (nikarg?).

This is actually amazing but the very first nomination in the very first category doesn't belong here. Crippled Black Phoenix - alternative metal? Well, I recently found out that the actress from Queen's Gambit is called Anya Taylor-Joy after being 100% convinced for years it's Anna, not Anya, so perhaps I am actually from an alternate (or should I say... alternative) universe in which CBP don't play that kind of music? Anyway, my vote will probably go out for them and they're a band which need more appreciation, even if you have to shove them in unfitting categories.

Wait, you actually nominated Yuri Gagarin as post-metal? So a psychedelic/space rock band is "post-metal", while post/progressive rock/metal band is alternative metal? Oh, come oooon.
(Anyway, that last track from YG is the best song of 2020, by far. Been waiting for it to be released ever since I heard it on Desertfest in 2018)
Yet there's no Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou in 'post metal' - while personally I have listened to the (very good) singles, I'm surprised to see the omission in here, as it was voted the best 2020 album in Roadburn group. Yes, yes, I know, group of festival hipsters is something else than a 20 year old metal webpage.

Okay, I"m going to assume the lack of nomination for Triptykon in Symphonic Metal is only because it's a live album and there were no bad intentions from your side. I'll vote for it anyway.
Skipping Hail Spirit Noir is a bad intention, however.

Shouldn't "The Best DVD" be changed into "The Best Bluray"? I'd say "get on with the times", but then again you have nominated AC/DC

All things aside, I always appreciate the hard work you put into it (and I am always flabbergasted how some of you don't know your genres) and well, I'm off to listen to the nominees.

Edit; I can see people voting for Schaffer in Drama of the Year. While I agree he should definitely win this category, this drama was from 2021, guys. Let's just wait.

Edit 2: Damn, these Doom nominations aren't good but the thing is... I don't know what else I would put there. Lord Vigo maybe? But it's still not great - 'only' very good. It wasn't a good year for doom - I remember 2019 being a great one, with 8 or so nominations which top each one here.
Ok, I checked my library - the most I enjoyed either Fostermother, Sleepwulf and Frayle. None of them are very popular, so no surprises they weren't nominated here.
01.02.2021 - 10:08
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by NastyHero on 01.02.2021 at 09:19

Hello, I'm back, maybe someone remembers me because of all the complaining and stuff (nikarg?).

People complaining are half of what is great about the MSA.

This is actually amazing but the very first nomination in the very first category doesn't belong here. Crippled Black Phoenix - alternative metal? Well, I recently found out that the actress from Queen's Gambit is called Anya Taylor-Joy after being 100% convinced for years it's Anna, not Anya, so perhaps I am actually from an alternate (or should I say... alternative) universe in which CBP don't play that kind of music? Anyway, my vote will probably go out for them and they're a band which need more appreciation, even if you have to shove them in unfitting categories.

Miscategorizing bands is half of what is great about the MSA.

I personally agree that alternative isn't the best fit for CBP, hell, I don't even see it as metal, but post would've been a slightly better fit. I guess my fault for not being vocal about this at the right time.

Wait, you actually nominated Yuri Gagarin as post-metal? So a psychedelic/space rock band is "post-metal", while post/progressive rock/metal band is alternative metal? Oh, come oooon.
(Anyway, that last track from YG is the best song of 2020, by far. Been waiting for it to be released ever since I heard it on Desertfest in 2018)

Yuri Gagarin was a tough one. I do think that their brand of space rock is heavy enough to slip into metal, but there is no space metal category. If anything, they're closest to that new Oranssi Pazuzu. Post-metal was the best compromise.

Yet there's no Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou in 'post metal' - while personally I have listened to the (very good) singles, I'm surprised to see the omission in here, as it was voted the best 2020 album in Roadburn group. Yes, yes, I know, group of festival hipsters is something else than a 20 year old metal webpage.

It is nominated in sludge, where every other Thou nomination has been. I am part of the Roadburners Facebook group but I seem to have missed that poll. Can you link it?

Okay, I"m going to assume the lack of nomination for Triptykon in Symphonic Metal is only because it's a live album and there were no bad intentions from your side. I'll vote for it anyway.

Honestly it wasn't even considered. In retrospect, maybe we should have. I had a bit of a warmer opinion of the performance and the album than the other folks I know who also attended. It isn't the only sympho potential nomination that was thought of only after the batch was set.

Which is why you'll find it in prog.

Shouldn't "The Best DVD" be changed into "The Best Bluray"? I'd say "get on with the times", but then again you have nominated AC/DC

I'm starting to wonder if that category is even worth keeping around.

All things aside, I always appreciate the hard work you put into it (and I am always flabbergasted how some of you don't know your genres) and well, I'm off to listen to the nominees.

Genres are a social construct. Compromises have to be made. Nothing as bad as 2015's nomination of Tribulation's Children Of The Night in death.

Edit; I can see people voting for Schaffer in Drama of the Year. While I agree he should definitely win this category, this drama was from 2021, guys. Let's just wait.

Hence why we'll most likely nominate it for next year.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
01.02.2021 - 10:20
Skyum

Thank you for the nomination in Melodic Black Metal. I assume Troy's lobbying in that regard wasn't unsubstantial.
01.02.2021 - 10:24
NastyHero

Written by RaduP on 01.02.2021 at 10:08

Yuri Gagarin was a tough one. I do think that their brand of space rock is heavy enough to slip into metal, but there is no space metal category. If anything, they're closest to that new Oranssi Pazuzu. Post-metal was the best compromise.

Speaking of which, just as doom was tough one in 2019 and not that interesting in 2020, the opposite goes for avant-garde. Nothing that good in 2019, while this year I have to make a difficult choice between Thy Catafalque and Oranssi Pazuzu (Imperial Triumphant's dope too). Oh well, it's still an easier choice than in 2018 (IT, TC, Zeal & Ardor and SIgh).

Quote:

It is nominated in sludge, where every other Thou nomination has been. I am part of the Roadburners Facebook group but I seem to have missed that poll. Can you link it?

It's less sludgey than other Thou releases but I suppose it's fine enough.
As of the poll - here you go. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Roadburners/permalink/1355735668127386
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention but I really respect that you're doing this thing in February. Not even January but February. This poll is from late November which is in my opinion far too early to vote 'album of the year', even if in December there aren't that many new releases. Nothing bad will happen if people would just wait a month.

Quote:

Honestly it wasn't even considered. In retrospect, maybe we should have. I had a bit of a warmer opinion of the performance and the album than the other folks I know who also attended. It isn't the only sympho potential nomination that was thought of only after the batch was set.

Then again, I don't remember any live releases being nominated in normal categories, ever. This is a bit different, because it's the only audio source of that material available (as in: this wasn't on any LP and probably won't be), but I could still see it as achoice.

Quote:

Which is why you'll find it in prog.

Oh my, this is embarassing, I even double checked before posting. I really need that morning coffee.
01.02.2021 - 10:31
JoHn Doe

Hard rock category is the toughest choice for me. There are 4 albums I love there, plus two I want to listen to which probably will make things even tougher.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
01.02.2021 - 10:33
NastyHero

Btw do you ever nominate splits? If yes, then Almykyrvi / The Ruins of Beverast were robbed : P
"Best Split" category doesn't sound like a bad idea, honestly.
01.02.2021 - 10:44
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by NastyHero on 01.02.2021 at 10:33

Btw do you ever nominate splits? If yes, then Almykyrvi / The Ruins of Beverast were robbed : P
"Best Split" category doesn't sound like a bad idea, honestly.

Perhaps next year.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
01.02.2021 - 10:47
tintinb

Yeah, please start a best split category from next year. We miss out on great split recommendations.
----
Leeches everywhere.
01.02.2021 - 11:02
nikarg

Written by Scintil on 01.02.2021 at 03:51

Witches Hammer wasn't nominated for Thrash, are you crazy?

I agree.

Written by Ball Fondlers on 01.02.2021 at 08:56

I haven't found the obvious omission yet that has been left out on purpose just to cause angst. Or you forgot this year

It wasn't left out on purpose in order to stir controversy, but not nominating one of the best comeback albums in metal history (Psychotic Waltz) is a massive omission in my opinion.

Of course I remember you, I expect you every year. Welcome back and enjoy the music
01.02.2021 - 14:21
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by nikarg on 01.02.2021 at 00:49

I did listen to Lord Fist and did not think the album was worthy of nomination. The others who listened to it didn't think so either, I guess. But I found out about Molten Chains because of Ansercanagicus and - if I remember well - it was a unanimous decision to nominate their album.

Well thank you for Molten Chains. Now I can't decide between them and CIrith Ungol :p Not that it matters a lot since none of them will win :/
----

Hits total: 6105 | This month: 2