04. Born From Fire
05. Under A Soil And Black Stone
06. Perkele (The God Of Fire)
07. The Smoke
08. Same Flesh
09. Brother Moon
10. Empty Opening
11. Stone Woman [bonus]

After "Far From The Sun" Pasi Koskinen decided to leave the band. Many of their fans seemed disappointed with the fact that he was no longer the one standing behind the microphone of Amorphis. As for me, being an Amorphis fan for years, I saw this decision as something very positive and the right move for the band after the personal big disappointment of "Far From The Sun". To strengthen my positive views on the new Amorphis period that was slowly unfolding, all that was remaining was to find out how the new singer sounds like and, finally, bear witness of their brand new album, "Eclipse".

"Eclipse" is a slight step forward for their sound and a really strong come back for the renowned Finnish act. It might seem at times that it's nothing new but an album moving in standard Amorphis soundscapes in order to reclaim their throne, yet, if you listen carefully you'll realize that the band is trying to offer something a bit different this time, keeping always the Amorphis air alive. They succeed both in keeping their identity and showing a will to take their sound forward, something that will be more obvious from their next album I suppose because I see "Eclipse" as an album where the band tests its power with the new singer, gathering all of their good elements (the "Tuonela" touch is intense) but trying to offer some new ones as well.

Tomi Joutsen, the new singer, is a charismatic interpreter for sure, he doesn't have the most personal voice on earth but he knows how to sing wonderfully, dressing the lyrics with his vocal lines in a stunning way. Imagine a voice lying somewhere between Sentenced's Ville Laihiala and Pasi Koskinen and you'll get what I mean, nothing more to be added on the way the new singer sounds like and despite the lack of originality he's just awesome, emotional or more powerful when he has to! A few grunting vocals make their appearance as well, something positive making the whole interpretation more affected.

That slightly oriental traditional Finnish sound references Amorphis always had are present for one more time, especially through the guitar and keyboard passages and they lend one of those elements that make Amorphis' sound so beautiful, unique and recognizable. The keyboard melodies are just fabulous, whether they sound experimental and psychedelic, evoking a floating dreamy feeling in the air, or just atmosphere-evoking with creative parts here and there. No need to talk about the piano passages, they speak for themselves with their emotional and inspired sound, making the whole aesthetic more fragile. The guitars are heavy with the guitar work being well-executed and the ideas well-conceived, being in the Amorphis spirit, as they have to. Not to mention the inspired solos, especially that great one on "Under a Soil and Black Stone", and the beauteous acoustic guitar chords. Concerning the rhythm section the only thing I have to say is that it interprets its role in the most appropriate and unerring way.

"Eclipse" is an album every Amorphis fan should check out, it's heavy, emotional, inspired and takes you on a journey somewhere in the North, there where the thousand lakes drown in their infinite waters.

Highlights: The emotional "House Of Sleep", the touching and groovy "The Smoke" or the heavy and atmospheric "Empty Opening", "Leaves Scar" and "Two Moons".

Written on 19.01.2006 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 265 users
01.08.2007 - 06:20
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I finally picked up this album today, I've been putting off buying this one for a while fearing it would be a waste of money, but I was wrong. This album is pretty good. Amorphis definitely blend the new sound they have progressed to with their old sound very well on Eclipse. I'm looking forward to their upcoming release.
30.08.2007 - 20:06
Ereinion'
Account deleted
every time i hear this album i get the feeling that I am in the forest in autumn..... this one of my favorite albums great music and great concept and Tomi is the best vocalist and frontman this band ever had.
16.05.2008 - 11:01
iaberis
Advice Troll
I liked the new vocalist a lot more than the old guy. He sings well both clean and rough... Very good shit, 8/10 from me.
----
Bitch! Please
27.11.2008 - 15:03
Rating: 7
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Pretty good album much better then their last two
09.04.2009 - 21:44
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
The new vocalist kills!!! brother moon is the best song with the house of sleep!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.02.2010 - 19:25
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Yeah. Good comeback for the band, and very appropriate rating. I was not in the clouds with this release, but it has some great moments, like ''Born From Fire'' lead riff work and ''Under A Soil And Black Stone'' vocals.

It was nice to see them refreshing the burned injuries of Far From The Sun.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
06.06.2012 - 10:37
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Probably my favorite album of the Tomi Joutsen era (although it's probably tied with Skyforger, my first album by them). Except for Two Moons (it's an alright track), I absolutely adore every song on this album. Best album of 2006 for sure. 9.25/10
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
21.04.2014 - 02:14
Rating: 10
FinnRommi

Amorphiksen Tales From The Thousand Lakesin rinnalla, tämä on Amorphiksen paras levy.
22.04.2014 - 19:35
Rating: 9
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by FinnRommi on 21.04.2014 at 02:14

Amorphiksen Tales From The Thousand Lakesin rinnalla, tämä on Amorphiksen paras levy.

And this is an English speaking site, mind you.
01.07.2017 - 00:36
Rating: 9
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
When all is said and done, this is one of Amorphis' top3 albums.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
15.09.2017 - 16:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deadmeat on 09.04.2009 at 21:44

The new vocalist kills!!! brother moon is the best song with the house of sleep!!!

I agree, and also I like his calm vocals, and agrowly voice, I think band must re record acoustic version of My kantele whit him
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.09.2017 - 19:41
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Interesting suggestion!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!

Hits total: 9811 | This month: 20