05. Lethe
06. Daughter Of The Djinn
07. Elementals
08. Inanna
09. Funeral Pyre
10. The Wilderness
11. The Dhampir [2 vinyls bonus]
12. Månvisan [2 vinyls bonus]

Tribulation have been one the most exciting Swedish exports of the last twelve years. From their early deathly brutalities to their most recent gothic horrors, these guys have had a streak of sensational albums. Where The Gloom Becomes Sound is another sensational album, shrouded in thick fog and wearing black eyeliner, much like its predecessor.

And what a great album title they chose for this one. Tribulation may have borrowed it from Sopor Aeternus (the title is a line from the classic "Hades 'Pluton'"), as Adam Zaars admitted in this interview but it really fits their sound like a glove. Whatever you may want to call that sound - be it 'gothic metal' or 'gothic death rock' (as Johannes Andersson has called it) or even 'Fields Of The Nephilim and Moonspell jamming '80s heavy metal songs in 2021' - Where The Gloom Becomes Sound is a logical continuation of what started with The Children Of The Night, evolved with Down Below, and now seems to have become the band's fixed style of choice with this latest offering.

The record is roughly divided in two parts with side A being the more atmospheric one and side B the more rocking one, although both characteristics are found in almost all songs. The two sides are divided by a beautifully melancholic instrumental interlude, called "Lethe" (from the word 'Λήθη', which means 'forgetfulness' or 'oblivion', and was also one of the five rivers of the Underworld of Hades in Greek mythology). Interludes are generally lame but this is actually one of the most standout moments of the album.

The mythical, magical, and cinematic character is manifested from the opening track, "In Remembrance", with its suspense-inducing use of keyboards and the electro/industrial type of drumming, and it goes on with "Hour Of The Wolf" borrowing its title from an Ingmar Bergman film. The next two tracks, "Leviathans" and "Dirge Of A Dying Soul" are big favourites due to their spectacular melodies, with the former being more upbeat and instantly catchy, and the latter posing as fairly mysterious and depressive.

An interesting observation is that the band seems to incorporate more traditional heavy metal elements and that may just become an even firmer addition in the next album given the fact that Joseph Tholl (ex-Enforcer) has replaced Jonathan Hultén who left the band before this album's release. For now though, this love for heavy metal is more apparent in the second half both in an urgent delivery ("Daughter Of The Djinn") as well as in a more epic presentation ("The Wilderness"). And then there is also "Funeral Pyre", whose main riff carries serious "Bark At The Moon" vibes.

All in all, there aren't many innovations here compared to what we heard on Down Below; in fact, this is the first time that Tribulation release something that sounds extremely similar to its predecessor. This one maybe comes across as a little more mainstream and accessible though; so, imagine Ghost's progression but without the dip in quality.

It will be interesting to see where Tribulation will go from here since the departure of Jonathan has seen them lose not just one of their two guitar players but, more importantly, their main songwriter since this album was largely written by him. But that is future talk. As far as the present is concerned, Where The Gloom Becomes Sound is a monument of gothic darkness and electrifying heavy metal played by the creatures of the night.

"Blessed be the unfortunate ones
That hear this dirge of a dying soul"

Written on 01.03.2021 by Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 142 users
01.03.2021 - 11:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good job, hood album. I like they from beggining to this, changing sound. But it's good.
And now million dollars quastion, how many Ingmar Bergman films have you seen. Watch them all and discuss whit radu and Rod, and review them
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.03.2021 - 12:23
nikarg
staff
Written by Bad English on 01.03.2021 at 11:44

Good job, hood album. I like they from beggining to this, changing sound. But it's good.
And now million dollars quastion, how many Ingmar Bergman films have you seen. Watch them all and discuss whit radu and Rod, and review them

I think it is going to be very difficult for them to continue the streak of these very good albums after Jonathan's departure. He is a very talented person, that guy. Then again, I would like to see them diving deeper into heavy metal. We'll see.

I have watched about half of Bergman's films, I think. The last one I saw was Saraband when it came out but I haven't seen any other film by him since then. He is in my top-10 directors of all time, but no such reviews will come from my end.
02.03.2021 - 00:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
It's in the queue. nice work, got me even more psyched for this - particularly the first half.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.03.2021 - 17:51
Rating: 8
tintinb
I think Tribulation has gone the Soen way, that is they have found a sound, it's definitely a great sound, but after a point of time it's starting to get a trifle stale. I really wish they would do something new in the future, maybe stir up the formula somewhat.
----
Leeches everywhere.
28.12.2021 - 01:15
Rating: 8
BlankFile
A solid record from a great band, for sure. Nice one indeed.

Hits total: 1956 | This month: 21