01. Oraison
02. Réminiscence
03. Chasseresse
04. L'antique Blason
05. Adjuration
06. Dorko, La Malveillante
07. Maléfice
08. Chant Des Martyres

Réminiscence - this is second Csejthe studio album, and in my opinion it is one of the best black metal album ever recorded! I discovered this album 3 years ago and since that time it hasn't aged.

Réminiscence contains everything that good black metal album should have: dark, haunting atmosphere; some magic/occult/legend spirit; sublimity, melodic, powerful riffs; and great vocals.

Réminiscence is really nicely recorded and mixed. It is quite surprising. This album also "breathes" due to strong echo/reverb added to the mix. It creates amazing atmosphere, which not every black metal album has. It is dark and grim but in the poetic way, I would say. Many typical metal releases have a very close, crude, in your face distorted mix - this straightforward approach is often not satisfying because it lacks finesse; even total darkness should have some sophistication. I guess one of Csejthe's identifying sound marks is the echo/reverb that features heavily on their albums. It literally moves listeners into vast, mysterious areas, like shadowy glade within ancient forests, stormy wilderness under night sky, or old castle abyss. You will feel cold even during hot, summer days - I guarantee!

Réminiscence is a consistent album, kind of a music monolith, if you like. There are no weird musical experiments here. It doesn't mean that it is boring or unexciting; I don't have a feeling that any of songs on this band's second long-play are worse than others or just fill the time gap. It is a deliberately crafted artistic vision. It is a convincing dark-dream vision. The textures and shades of the musical palette offer many details to listen to and admire; the way the musicians build their musical world is quite impressive. They know how to do it without being tiring. The vocals are not constant screams from the beginning to the end of each song; they appear in the right moments to enhance the mood and add some lyrical melody. The drums don't try to fill every possible second, and create millions of notes and paradiddles. This is solid drumming with lots of finesse and sophistication, building rhythm on the record like wind during a storm. The guitars are like a bleak veil of blizzard singing its cold tunes.

Réminiscence is not about each soloist showing off; Csejthe is about balance in extreme music. Because only the right balance between music elements can create proper harmony, convincing structure and extraordinary beauty.

To sum it up: Highly recommended black metal release!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by BetulaObscura | 07.03.2021

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 29 users
09.03.2021 - 09:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
To be perfect, it has problems.
To unknown bands, and lyrics is in French. I think as Canadians they could go higher if it would be in English. Where would Cryptopsy, SYL or Devin would be if they would sing in French? If anvil would be from Quebeck and sing in French, where would they be. After LLN and few big bands from past French bm are under radar to me.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.03.2021 - 09:14
BetulaObscura

Written by Bad English on 09.03.2021 at 09:41

To unknown bands, and lyrics is in French. I think as Canadians they could go higher if it would be in English. Where would Cryptopsy, SYL or Devin would be if they would sing in French? If anvil would be from Quebeck and sing in French, where would they be. After LLN and few big bands from past French bm are under radar to me.

French is as good as any other language. Especially when it fits and blends with music. On this album (and any other Csejthe albums) French works perfectly to me. English is not the only language in the world!
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
12.03.2021 - 11:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BetulaObscura on 12.03.2021 at 09:14

Written by Bad English on 09.03.2021 at 09:41

French is as good as any other language. Especially when it fits and blends with music. On this album (and any other Csejthe albums) French works perfectly to me. English is not the only language in the world!

Yes but band loose a lot, i can listen bm in French, but in some way it's good, as art but I wish understand lyrics
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.05.2021 - 06:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Anyone who argues in favor of a band writing English lyrics as opposed to French for popularity purposes is woefully ignorant of Quebecois nationalism and cultural traditionalists in that part of Canada. However, that person is Bad English, and so said uneducated opinion is of no consequence.

That aside, this was a really nice read for an album deserving of some praise despite its flaws. Well done.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.05.2021 - 14:54
BetulaObscura

Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.05.2021 at 06:41

That aside, this was a really nice read for an album deserving of some praise despite its flaws. Well done.

Thank you, I am glad you enjoy it!
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"

Hits total: 921 | This month: 7