Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm - Announcing New Terms Of Use, Paid Membership Plans

Dear readers, today marks a great change for Metal Storm as an institution and as a community. For over 20 years now, we have been a leading voice in the metal underground, providing invaluable resources for music fans through our database, forums, publications, and more. Up until now, we have managed to do this without asking anything in return, powering through year after year purely for the love of the craft. Metal Storm has always operated on a volunteer basis, never motivated by profit, and we had hoped that this would always be the case. Unfortunately, as we have seen over the last year, times change.

Stringing along a site like this isn't cheap, especially with tightening privacy and security restrictions (the EU and the state of California are monstrous with this, seriously), and so we have decided that the best way to turn a profit with this thing would be to introduce a paid membership system. Modeling ourselves after some of the major news publications out there, we'll be offering readers a select number of free views each month, after which it will be necessary to sign up for a premium user account to access more content. Premium plans start at $6.66 a month (payable through PayPal, Venmo, OFX, Apple Pay, Google Pay, YooMoney, wire transfer, check, cheque, and/or exchange of rare Bathory merch) and we plan to introduce higher tiers of membership in the future as our network stabilizes. This is undiscovered country for us, so we appreciate your understanding while we adjust membership rates and perks associated with different tiers as necessary. For now, we'll be starting everybody at the base rate just to make things fair, but look forward to those Metal Warrior, Metal Elitist, and Metal God membership plans. As an additional feature right off the bat, we will be selling custom titles in several colors for 0.0000666 BTC. Available colors are green and red. Premium users will by default show up in gold.

This is not the path that we envisioned Metal Storm taking, but the important thing is to remain sanguine in the face of change and generous with your resources. We know that this will be worth the expenditure and you will love what Metal Storm is brewing for the future. For those readers who are skeptical about Metal Storm's new direction, or who are perhaps unable to keep up with our evolving requirements for membership, we ask you to consider that this is merely the price of several cups of coffee a month. Which is more important to you: your debilitating caffeine addiction or a daily barrage of ShoutBox arguments over which South American black metal bands are and are not Nazis?

-- The Metal Storm Staff

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.04.2021 by ScreamingSteelUS

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 101   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 437 users
01.04.2021 - 11:19
Hi guys, I'm quite new here. I think the introduction of the premium user account is good. So much content and features cannot be free in the long run. However, I find the starting price of $ 6.66 too high. I think it would be better to start at $ 2-3 per month and have 3 times the amount of premium users. Last.fm does a similar thing.
01.04.2021 - 11:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Callisto on 01.04.2021 at 11:14

Damn you people! 39 years of life without even hearing those baby things....
I'll pay you to never do that again!

I listened when they were new, it pissed me of, now it piss me ofg even more, seems I will hate now whole Japanese metal and few bands I liked from there.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.04.2021 - 11:28
Callisto

Jajajaj I can image it, Sigh were great black metal though and Loudness were ok.
It's just fucking baby metal!!
01.04.2021 - 11:29
Dronewolf12
Account deleted
In all honesty. I know this is an April Fools joke, but to block people from reading the articles for 24 hours is a bad move. I ended up being able to comment by pressing the back button, but because the site is overly unreilable anyway and totally unsecure and goes down every other day, I'm finding a new, better news site lol
01.04.2021 - 11:32
atrox

Written by Tomektore Dali on 01.04.2021 at 11:19

Hi guys, I'm quite new here. I think the introduction of the premium user account is good. So much content and features cannot be free in the long run. However, I find the starting price of $ 6.66 too high. I think it would be better to start at $ 2-3 per month and have 3 times the amount of premium users. Last.fm does a similar thing.

7$ in a month makes me want to look for alternatives; 2$ would make me feel like supporting the site, although it is a very aggressive way to ask for support.
01.04.2021 - 11:32
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Guest on 01.04.2021 at 11:29

In all honesty. I know this is an April Fools joke, but to block people from reading the articles for 24 hours is a bad move. I ended up being able to comment by pressing the back button, but because the site is overly unreilable anyway and totally unsecure and goes down every other day, I'm finding a new, better news site lol

Looks like you haven't seen the best of it yet
----
01.04.2021 - 11:33
gavdann

Very good. Now fix the won't load/spam refresh issue for us Chrome users. Please. Pretty please. Pretty please with sugar on the top.
01.04.2021 - 11:36
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by gavdann on 01.04.2021 at 11:33

Very good. Now fix the won't load/spam refresh issue for us Chrome users. Please. Pretty please. Pretty please with sugar on the top.

Pay the nice people your $6.66 and who knows what might happen...
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
01.04.2021 - 11:43
AndreMarcos

Not even gonna lie ... fooled me. I straight up thought that this was legit. Well played.
01.04.2021 - 11:53
Rapid Fire

I have to admit you absolutely got me with this... Even seriously thought about getting a second job to earn enough money to make a worthy monthly donation.
----
Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
01.04.2021 - 12:00
IcePickLodger

Hi, am I the only one having display troubles with this site? the last few weeks I can see the text displayed word by word each in its own line...unreadable
01.04.2021 - 12:10
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I like how you straight up admit to selling our data.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.04.2021 - 12:12
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Testing
----
Christless
01.04.2021 - 12:20
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Written by corrupt on 01.04.2021 at 01:27

Written by Dark Forever on 01.04.2021 at 01:24

Can I pay with copies of Metallica - Lulu?

Well, how many do you have?

None, which is precisely the amount of copies anyone should have of that.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
01.04.2021 - 12:30
Tasos M

That was amazing!! I was entering my name when there was typed 'Chris Barnes'
However guys im sure you would have enormous support if needed one day
----
Support artists, buy their albums \m/
01.04.2021 - 12:33
metalriff

Britney Slays
----
1001 Metal albums to hear before you die
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6531
01.04.2021 - 12:36
metalriff

The casual user wouldn't even have bothered entering details and missed on the joke and on the site probably. Wicked fun
----
1001 Metal albums to hear before you die
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6531
01.04.2021 - 13:02
nonZero

You evil, evil people making us listen to that was especially cruel!
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
01.04.2021 - 13:06
qlacs
"The Quaker"
I would pay a fee, if it was a bit less + if it's guaranteed that issues with site will be fixed very soon. I think paying for a site that's inaccessible half the time I try to browse it or shows up bad on some platforms is not worth the price. So please, elaborate what are you planning to do with it.
----
01.04.2021 - 13:06
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by nonZero on 01.04.2021 at 13:02

You evil, evil people making us listen to that was especially cruel!

You pay either way. Dollars or souls
----
01.04.2021 - 13:10
atrox

Written by Tasos M on 01.04.2021 at 12:30

That was amazing!! I was entering my name when there was typed 'Chris Barnes'
However guys im sure you would have enormous support if needed one day

Thank you for pointing this out - I didn't even try to do that because Metalstorm is still not on SSL. So instead of an aggressive asking for money they made an annoying April fools joke.
01.04.2021 - 13:44
nikarg

I just realised that this will help us get rid of all the spam bots, apart from earning us megabucks. Two birds with one stone. Awesome.
01.04.2021 - 14:09
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by nikarg on 01.04.2021 at 13:44

I just realised that this will help us get rid of all the spam bots, apart from earning us megabucks. Two birds with one stone. Awesome.

So if a spambot pays the premium but does it anyway, you will block it? Just saying, this might put you guys in a position where abusers are a bit tough to put behind, when they are paying. And is the site going to be stable and reachable 24/7 now?

Edit: I legit forgot today's date...
----
01.04.2021 - 14:23
Stormm

Written by IcePickLodger on 01.04.2021 at 12:00

Hi, am I the only one having display troubles with this site? the last few weeks I can see the text displayed word by word each in its own line...unreadable

Yeah, me too. It's issue that appears sometimes. You need to close page completely and open it again.
01.04.2021 - 15:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Truth is, I'm almost as prolific at writings reviews/articles as Radu or Musclassia but my work has been considered of such high quality that only 25% of my work is available for the regular account. Everything else (including the sweet fan fiction of Sabaton and Babymetal uniting forces against the evil Dr. K7) is only available through the primium account!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.04.2021 - 16:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Give BabyMetal chocolate or give us cold hard cash, peoples.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.04.2021 - 17:03
cobrapel
Concept One
That great live performance made me dance all over like a su-metal. Thanks
01.04.2021 - 17:14
MetalManic

I'd pay a couple bucks/mth if it fixed the 'unable to connect to database' issue
01.04.2021 - 19:04
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
It's time to crank up and scream, "Metal Storm becomes exclusive and now run by elites who take over the entire server". No more spouting fucking happy community guidelines and no more welcoming and warming new members to the MS family. Wanna part of the MS? Become subservient to the rules of MS...errr....no...pay us and become a member of the sweetest family.

Remember, becoming a member of the MS community doesn't come easy peasy if you pay us a nominal amount - you would be dealing with tear shedding responsibilities, folks.

Here's a hint: Shower us with bigger slabs of your dough, more you prone to the exclusive benefits of Metal Storm.

So, choose wisely and have a nice day.
----
01.04.2021 - 19:41
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I've only been a member for a few days, so could someone tell me if this is a joke or am I meant to pay for my my membership?

Hits total: 6842 | This month: 4