Metal Storm logo
Venom vs Mercyful Fate

30.05.2006 - 05:51
Mega-Slayer
Being they are both the originators of Black Metal,I thought it would be interesting to see who you prefer?I myself prefer Kronos for vocals,though King Diamond is a talented vocalist his voice can be somewhat irritating to me on such high notes.Musically I think it goes too Mercyful Fate,especially on Dont Break The Oath their best album,I just enjoy more albums by venom:"Welcome To Hell","Black Metal" and "At War With Satan".So I think my vote goes to Venom,because their music is more fun too listen too,not so serious in other words.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
30.05.2006 - 06:04
Trifixion
Account deleted
Hmm this is a hard one...on one hand like you said Venom is a fun band to listen to, nothing too serious, and they have a cool sound to them (at least they did) but Mercyful Fate on the other hand is an extraordinary band, especially their first few albums. King Diamond has a hell of a voice and they truly made some creepy music. So it depends what you want out of the music I guess but musically I think MF was better, but Venom is probably more enjoyable to listen to.
30.05.2006 - 06:14
Mega-Slayer
Written by Guest on 30.05.2006 at 06:04

Hmm this is a hard one...on one hand like you said Venom is a fun band to listen to, nothing too serious, and they have a cool sound to them (at least they did) but Mercyful Fate on the other hand is an extraordinary band, especially their first few albums. King Diamond has a hell of a voice and they truly made some creepy music. So it depends what you want out of the music I guess but musically I think MF was better, but Venom is probably more enjoyable to listen to.

The song "The Oath" definitley my favorite song has such a creepy intro,I like listening to it at night.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
30.05.2006 - 07:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Venom id say, just a really fun band to listen to, easy to get into and really good party music.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.05.2006 - 22:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This are strange tread, because I first time saw Venom vs MF
I dunno what say, bouth are great bands pioners of BM, MF are pioners of Nordick BM, Venom to other bM, but thay play thrash metal
Venom stille xista nd play like in 80ties, and In saw interwieriew whit Vonom
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.05.2006 - 23:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't like Venom at all. Poser black metal isn't my thing. Mercyful Fate, however, is badass. King Diamond is one of the greatest vocalists ever and I love the long, frequent guitar solos in almost every song.
31.05.2006 - 11:56
decapitator
i love King Diamond, but Venom where the first and i respect that... i find their music to be simple and yet catchy. They're amazing live which i find as a big bonus... so my vote goes to Venom
31.05.2006 - 12:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Decapitator I agre thay music are simple, but I woundering thay play more then 20 yeras where thay get inspiration, because its not posoible compose so many melodies, and who still kick ass, and I never had seen Venom live, but I had one libe song "Rip Ride" and its nice
----

apos;'
[image]
02.06.2006 - 09:02
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Ok my first impression is VENOM

But Merciful Fate have some amazing guitar work, and some seriously catchy songs. And Diamond speaks for himself.
But Venom are legendary, the god-fathers of black.

Musically its a fiar match, hard to pick, but im not always the biggest King Diamond fan
So Venom it is.
03.06.2006 - 16:56
Richard
elite
It's funny to see 'Venom vs Mercyful Fate', because in the 80's, apparently Venom and Mercyful Fate did actually have a little rivalry thing going - Cronos and King Diamond would insult each other in interviews, etc... However, the two bands didn't really hate each other, they decided to do it as a joke, for the publicity!

Anyway, I definitely prefer Mercyful Fate, though I do like Venom. Venom was more about 'sex drugs and rock n' roll' - the cheesy, hedonistic side of 'Satanism' in Metal - whereas MF were darker and seemed more 'serious' (well, apart from with the song 'Nuns Have No Fun', haha!) Musically, I really appreciate Venom's approach to music making, and I think they were important in bringing a punk attitude into Metal. However, MF has maybe stood the test of time better and has more to offer in terms of melody and epic, twisting songs.
----
11.06.2006 - 08:22
tuerda
Mercyful fate, easy. King D is just one of the greatest vocalists in metal history. MF also has really great songs and a deep atmosphere. Venom just never did it for me. It just sounds kinda bad. Aside from being pioneers in their style, I see nothing really redeeming about them. I don't know what all the hype is about.
04.08.2006 - 14:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 03.06.2006 at 16:56

!

Anyway, I definitely prefer Mercyful Fate, though I do like Venom. Venom was more about 'sex drugs and rock n' roll' - the cheesy, hedonistic side of 'Satanism' in Metal - whereas MF were darker and seemed more 'serious' (well, apart from with the song 'Nuns Have No Fun', haha!) Musically, I really appreciate Venom's approach to music making, and I think they were important in bringing a punk attitude into Metal. However, MF has maybe stood the test of time better and has more to offer in terms of melody and epic, twisting songs.

Agrie, Venom texsts are like old school rock n roll, about sex, drugs, rock n roll, but MF I had scered sometimes when listen them IU dunno why but those lyrics, i dont like so, and King Diamond lyrics are like i dunno small horror stories and like ood school horror movies from 70ties.
I saw one movie, and realy I think why thay didnt use Merciful Fate music,
Venom music, it hawnt change true years and and I think if thay had some folovers thay wont survivie, I hear interiwew whit bass/singer and he sad same.
----

apos;'
[image]
04.08.2006 - 16:26
Ruines
Account deleted
Mercyful Fate all the way. Venom is kvlt but Merycful Fate's musical talent both technicaly and musicaly is beyond comparison.
06.08.2006 - 03:22
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Mercyful Fate. Why? Because of the whole concept, the satanic stories, the first corpsepaint, the amazing guitars and the haunting vocals. Venom are a good band but Mercyful Fate are totally beyond a band that is just good.
12.08.2006 - 10:53
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Venom is very influential,and I like them somewhat,but let's face it,Mercyful Fate is better in almost every way.Better guitars,better vocals etc..etc. So I will say Mercyful Fate!!
22.08.2006 - 21:53
Thrash666
Both are awesome bands but I would say MF cause i think King Diamond is a better vocalist and MF is just a better band.
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
09.11.2006 - 18:44
Megadeth88
Mecyful Fate for me. Don't get me wrong Venom is a great band to listen to, It's just Mercyful Fate is more talented than Venom. Mantas is an excellent guitarist by the way.
09.11.2006 - 19:19
Hellish Star
Mercyful Fate, without any doubt. I never was a big Venom fan. Mercyful Fate brought us great musicianship and yes, they even influenced the US power style of power metal as well... Propably one of Danmark's best products ever....

BTW: "Melissa" and "Don't break the oath" belongs in the row of best metal albums ever made...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
26.12.2006 - 09:46
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Mercyful Fate...they have that dark atmosphere thats make it really eerie and what makes black metal really good stuff...better musicians as well...
27.12.2006 - 06:25
Eternal Flames
I would have to go with Mercyful Fate on this one. Venom are a great band, and I really appreciate and understand what they have done for metal and what they have brought to the genre. As already mentioned, they really brought in the punk attitude into metal and without them, metal wouldn't be the same. But I prefer Mercyful Fate because they had a darker and more evil edge in their music. The first two albums, Melissa and Don't Break The Oath, are metal classics. And even after their reformation, they still managed to release some really good albums. I mean, none were really as good as their first two, but they were solid albums. Venom on the other hand, haven't managed to be so consistent (in albums, that is). Their first few releases were amazing, but by the late 80's, their releases weren't as good. They were decent albums, but in retrospect, nothing that really stood out.
14.01.2007 - 23:48
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
my vote goes for Mercyful fate as well....Venom is sweet...but Mercyful Fate made alot more solid shit...not to Mention the King Would Make Kronos His' Bitch anyday of the week
15.01.2007 - 00:54
spirit_inblack
harshhead
This is a really hard vote for me. I love both of these bands, but I'm gonna give the vote to Mercyful Fate because of the awesome song structures compared to Venom's song structures. No disrespect to Venom though.
15.01.2007 - 01:09
APOHAKC
The Bard
Merciful Fate definetly, Venom is good but it can't be compared with Mercyful Fate in anything, alright it is probably because I am fanatic King Diamond's fan but I really think Mercyful Fate is greatest Black Metal band ever
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
15.01.2007 - 05:01
Judas
The Amputator
I really like both bands, but for different reasons. Venom were not a serious band. They only did the whole 'Satanism' thing to turn a few heads and to make a joke out of it. Their attitude kicked some serious ass, but their music, while enjoyable, is nowhere near as advanced as Mercyful Fate's. I'm going Mercyful Fate, all the way.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
15.01.2007 - 20:49
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
damn they are so different, Mercyful fate all the way, King Diamond is a monster!! the music is more evil also, not as many think of venom is the real evil hehe
----
Stay Metal !!!
17.01.2007 - 09:51
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Both black metal bands are innovative to the black metal genre in two separate bands. One in a rawer, more direct form and one in a more melodic, accessible cleaner form but both bands keeping the black metal blueprint and conceptual continuity to a key. I would have to go with Mercyful Fate simply because they delivered the medium on a broader scale in a timbre that could be accepted easier than Venom.
30.01.2007 - 12:11
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
Personally, Venom. Yes, I'll admit that Mercyful Fate were no doubt a great band. 'Don't Break The Oath' is classic, but I was never really a big fan of King Diamond's vocals, and some of their songs were sometimes a bit too catchy. Anyhow, lay down your soul to the gods rock and roll.
30.01.2007 - 22:53
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 30.05.2006 at 07:02

Venom id say, just a really fun band to listen to, easy to get into and really good party music.

Haha YES! Metal party!
31.01.2007 - 12:44
APOHAKC
The Bard
I really like Venom, but for the god sake, I watched some DVD, they re so fucking funny, how can anybody tkae them for real, and I don't like funny bands very much, beside Venom I don't know if I can listen anything like that, that is way I hate Immortal, Mercyfuk Fate is biggest band in the world and true oposition to eerything Venom ever done, they know how to use their instruments, King Diamond knows how to sing...
But you must love Venom, Leave Me In Hell !
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
31.01.2007 - 13:18
marillionfan
Account deleted
Mercyful Fate gets my vote here. They are by far more complex than Venom. Venom has never impressed me at all, not when i was a teenager, not later, not these days.

I've never considered Mercyful Fate a black metal band. I don't know why people have this idea; maybe because of the lyrics