Metal Storm logo
What do you think about the term "Sold Out"?

Original post

Posted by selken, 19.08.2007 - 06:06
All of we have used (or at least heard) the term "sold out", we know that is applied as a response of the dissapointment from old hardcore fans when their favourite bands change drastically their style of music, for both experimenting or reaching wider audiences, and obtain commercial success. What do you think about the term?, Is this correct? What makes you consider a band sold out?

We must keep in mind that many musicians have the music as their jobs, and thus, this is the way for them to put food on their tables, so we must consider why a band sometimes really NEEDS commercial success, I know this is not an excuse (read about Therion), but we must stay in the artists shoes to know what is really happening.

IMO, I don't like the term, for me, Metallica is the only "sold out" band, because of the Napster issue, i mean, they are millionaires, and were so at the time of the Napster issue and blah, blah, blah..... you know the rest.
21.06.2009 - 13:36
brapp32
I think you misunderstood what I meant. There is nothing wrong with my space. What I meant was its funny when a band (I was talking about Slipknot) says fuck the mainstream then uses the same mainstream outlets to make money.
21.06.2009 - 13:42
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by brapp32 on 21.06.2009 at 13:36

I think you misunderstood what I meant. There is nothing wrong with my space. What I meant was its funny when a band (I was talking about Slipknot) says fuck the mainstream then uses the same mainstream outlets to make money.

oh, now i got you... yeah you're right on that!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
20.08.2009 - 15:27
Razorback
I think these sold out stuffs are stupid,let everyone do what thay want you can listen them or ignore,people can change their mind sometimes when thay say or do something then realize thay were wrong,sometimes thay stay wrong,it will always be that kind of people,and people who disagree,we are all different,that is why we have choice to support something or not.I also think it's stupid to say something is crap then be part of it later but who cares there is a lot of choice out there let everyone create their.Who knows what are real reasons behind all that changes and decisions.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
24.10.2009 - 21:21
Hanyuchan
People throw around the term too much.

In Flames= sellouts

Dimmu Borgir= not sellouts, I dont get where people are getting that from.
25.10.2009 - 19:56
Kratos
Very overused word, I have seen people saying Cannibal Corpse sold out
02.01.2010 - 17:59
Aristarchos
Posers and sell-outs are the two most overused words. I really hate those words.
03.01.2010 - 08:58
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Personally I only call a band a sell-out when they blatantly change their style to something more main-stream solely to get more sales. I care little about how much money a band makes, or what record labels they are signed to, but if a band will sacrifice their sound solely to sell more records then that is when I'd use the term "sell-out". But hey, if a band wants to experiment that's always good too.

"Sold out" is a very over-used and miss-used term. Like for example, a lot of people called "Load" Metallica's sell-out album, which personally I think is incorrect as the "Black Album" was actually when they changed to a more mainstream style of music. "Load" was simply just pushing that further and is thus not their sellout album as the band had already sold-out with their previous album. Like the "Black Album" or not, it was their sellout album.
04.01.2010 - 23:07
SerratedSyringe
When you see their CDs at Wal-Mart, that's when I say a band has "Sold out".
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
05.01.2010 - 02:48
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
elite
Written by SerratedSyringe on 04.01.2010 at 23:07

That has nothing to do with the band though, stores can order in what they like or record labels issue them.
05.01.2010 - 10:08
Immortal
When I hear the phrase I think 'Cralde of Filth'...
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
05.01.2010 - 15:43
SerratedSyringe
Written by Dark Cornatus on 05.01.2010 at 02:48

Written by SerratedSyringe on 04.01.2010 at 23:07

That has nothing to do with the band though, stores can order in what they like or record labels issue them.

Yeah, I was kind of kidding. But seriously, your not going to find any kult black metal in Wal-Mart.
----
05.01.2010 - 17:45
Immortal
Written by SerratedSyringe on 05.01.2010 at 15:43

your not going to find any kult black metal in Wal-Mart.

lol I wish you could! Would save waiting weeks for a rarity descovered on the internet.
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
05.01.2010 - 23:43
SerratedSyringe
Written by Immortal on 05.01.2010 at 17:45

Written by SerratedSyringe on 05.01.2010 at 15:43

your not going to find any kult black metal in Wal-Mart.

lol I wish you could! Would save waiting weeks for a rarity descovered on the internet.

That's what seperates us from the common swine that go to Wal-Mart for their music.
----
06.01.2010 - 14:58
arwestromen
Written by Warman on 21.06.2009 at 13:28

To me sell out is this statement (by the lovely Fred Durst):

"I am not a musician, I'm a business man!"

That's the most discusting thing I've heard in my life.

Lär dig simma, lär dig gå, lär dig hata AIK
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
06.01.2010 - 15:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by arwestromen on 06.01.2010 at 14:58

Lär dig simma, lär dig gå, lär dig hata AIK

That's really discusting too.
----
08.01.2010 - 22:51
Slayer666

No, not really. There are many "musicians" who are business men rather than music makers, but do not openly admit it. At least Fred is honest.
10.01.2010 - 07:17
jollygreen
"I'm the man, you're the man and he's the man as well so you can shove that f***ing finger up your ass."-Tool
Yea it might be a matter of opinion but really theres no way someone can label a band a sell out unless they're actually selling something like clothes or shoes or whatever in their music to make "the man" really profit from it and digressing from making music regardless of if it sounds like someone else or has a popular brand name in the lyrics. To me the term is bad I think better words for the idea people try to pin on "sold out" bands is conventional or stale.
02.02.2010 - 22:31
Misandry
When I hear that term, I get irritated. Because honestly, isn't believing in sell-outs the same thing as selling out yourself?

Listen to what you like, and ignore all the hype and other people's opinions. I literally got yelled at by a friend of mine when I was really, really young for listening to Marilyn Manson. She went on this entire rant about how he was a sell-out and she thought I was different from other people, etc. I think I was twelve or something, so it's sort of not such a big deal that the first musician I would find would be Marilyn Manson. But she was so pissed off and crazy about it that she stopped talking to me for a few weeks - and at the same time, she listened to bands that I had considered mainstream.

I really don't think there is such a thing as a sell-out. As long as the musicians are doing what they love, and expressing their own opinions, a band can't sell out. But when music becomes a business - that's when I think it's time to step away from the scene.
----
"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem." - Stalin
02.02.2010 - 23:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Generally, I dislike the term, and will refrain from using it myself in most circumstances. It's a highly overused, and misused term by 'tr00' metal people who see any deviation from a band's original sound as 'selling out'. To me, a band is ONLY selling out if the primary reason they are playing a certain style is to get more money or get more popular. The problem is, in most cases, it is impossible for anyone to know if a band is playing a certain way for cynical reasons, or if their heart is truly in the music they are playing. As long as the primary reason you are playing a certain way is because your heart is totally in the music, then it's impossible to be a 'sell-out', regardless of the type of music you are making. If a band changes its style because that is musically what they genuinely want to play, then they are not selling out. Even if more popularity emerges as a result of that decision.

To me its simply this: Music written and played from the heart cannot be selling out, no matter what type of music it is. Music written and played a certain way for other frivolous reasons: selling out. Because it is very hard to know exactly why a band is playing a certain way, I very rarely use the term sell-out. The way most seem to misuse the term, and brand any metal band deviating from its original sound as a 'sell-out' means I have grown to dislike it.
05.02.2010 - 00:38
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Misandry on 02.02.2010 at 22:31

I really don't think there is such a thing as a sell-out. As long as the musicians are doing what they love, and expressing their own opinions, a band can't sell out. But when music becomes a business - that's when I think it's time to step away from the scene.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here? O.o

To answer the question of the thread, I use the term to describe anybody (music-related or not) that throws away their personal-integrity and passion for the sake of making bigger bucks. Like Angelic Storm pointed out, it is hard to accuse a band of doing this, unless they outright say they are only in it for the money or their actions make it really obvious. Also, you need to have integrity at first to even eventually become a sell-out. For instance the band Nickleback are not sell-outs, because they have been open to their "we're only in it for the money attitude" since the beginning. They lacked musical integrity from song one. :/
05.02.2010 - 01:07
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Sorry for the double post, BUT I didn't see this post at first.

Written by Slayer666 on 08.01.2010 at 22:51

No, not really. There are many "musicians" who are business men rather than music makers, but do not openly admit it. At least Fred is honest.

Is it not better to at least try and hide it? Fred Durst has no shame. It's fucking disgusting. There are not many things that I find insulting, but as a musician and music enthusiast, this offends me in ways you can't even imagine. If you are involved in music enough to be making money off of it, you ARE a businessman. Any smart musician knows this. Frank Zappa- Great (I'm sorry, I mean godly) musician, but also a great businessman. He understood and played the music business to the best of his abilities, but still stayed true to his music. He had no problem making more "accessible" albums every so often while staying a true music visionary. In the realm of metal, I'd suggest that Devin Townsend does the same thing. Fred Durst is a disgusting man and an evil to the beautiful world of music. D:<
05.02.2010 - 01:20
ToMegaTherion
For years now I have been arguing against the use of the term 'Sold Out' because no one, and i mean no one can offer me a definition that is the same as the next person. But besides that, i am a big believer in listening to music because I like it not because anyone else tell me too. If the music is good, i will listen, if not then I won't waste my money. I've heard plenty of bands change their style, either going more poppy and commercially acceptable, or in the case of Testament and some others going completely to the other extreme. But either way for me it is music for the sake of music. I don't completely hate Metallica for 'Selling Out', Load and Reload had some very good songs on them, granted they also produced some seriously bad shit too. Same with Megadeth on Risk it did have a few decent songs.
05.02.2010 - 02:14
Scourge
I dont know what to say. i dont like the term. if the bands music is great to me i will listen to it, if not i will not bother.
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
05.02.2010 - 23:25
Misandry
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.02.2010 at 00:38

Written by Misandry on 02.02.2010 at 22:31

Aren't you contradicting yourself here? O.o

To answer the question of the thread, I use the term to describe anybody (music-related or not) that throws away their personal-integrity and passion for the sake of making bigger bucks. Like Angelic Storm pointed out, it is hard to accuse a band of doing this, unless they outright say they are only in it for the money or their actions make it really obvious. Also, you need to have integrity at first to even eventually become a sell-out. For instance the band Nickleback are not sell-outs, because they have been open to their "we're only in it for the money attitude" since the beginning. They lacked musical integrity from song one. :/

Well, I didn't mean to contradict myself. I don't think that a person who starts to regard the music they play as an industry is a sell-out. I just think they've gotten lost in a world of corporations and megalomania.
----
05.02.2010 - 23:35
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Misandry on 05.02.2010 at 23:25

I don't think that a person who starts to regard the music they play as an industry is a sell-out. I just think they've gotten lost in a world of corporations and megalomania.

Eh, it depends. There is a difference between recognizing the music industry and "playing the game", and completely selling yourself to the highest bidder.
05.02.2010 - 23:46
Misandry
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.02.2010 at 23:35

Eh, it depends. There is a difference between recognizing the music industry and "playing the game", and completely selling yourself to the highest bidder.

I guess, but if you're completely selling yourself to the highest bidder, doesn't that imply some form of personal failure? For example, maybe you didn't realize what you were being sucked into. (I feel like that happens to a lot of teenage 'musicians'.) I just don't think it's right to blame the band for the label, if you know what I mean.
----
05.02.2010 - 23:56
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Misandry on 05.02.2010 at 23:46

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.02.2010 at 23:35

I guess, but if you're completely selling yourself to the highest bidder, doesn't that imply some form of personal failure? For example, maybe you didn't realize what you were being sucked into. (I feel like that happens to a lot of teenage 'musicians'.) I just don't think it's right to blame the band for the label, if you know what I mean.

I completely agree with you here. It's a shame that this happens to younger more impressionable bands. BUT, there are some musicians that *are* only in it for the money... Like anything else. >:l
06.02.2010 - 00:09
Misandry
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.02.2010 at 23:56

I completely agree with you here. It's a shame that this happens to younger more impressionable bands. BUT, there are some musicians that *are* only in it for the money... Like anything else. >:l

But can you really call them musicians?
----
06.02.2010 - 00:16
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Misandry on 06.02.2010 at 00:09

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.02.2010 at 23:56

But can you really call them musicians?

THAT is what I call a perfect response! Couldn't have said it any better myself!

No, you can't. Which is why it's so insulting when people do. :l
10.02.2010 - 03:44
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Well in the end whether we like it or not we dont really have a say in what bands do. Yes it pisses us off when they fall from grace, so to speak, but in the end they are not our property and if a band decides to change their style for whatever reason after releasing 10 similar albums then so be it.

Im not defending their, sometimes, greedy intentions for changing all Im saying is that in the end you need to make a living. There are tons of bands who over the last decade have severely let me down and disappointed me with their strange choices and terrible new musical directions so Im all too aware of how much it sucks when it happens.

I think the most disappointing thing isnt the fact that they chose money over quality albums, but the fact that when youve loved a band for a long time and you KNOW how good they can be, they suddenly sacrifice their talents and skill for something so materialistic. Thats the saddest thing...that a musician is willing to regress when you know what they're capable of.