Metal Storm logo
Leprous - 'The Silent Revelation' Single Unleashed

Norwegians Leprous are today introducing a new single, entitled "The Silent Revelation". Check out the accompanying video clip directed by Tobias Hole Aasgaarden (South Coast Creative) below. The song is part of their upcoming studio album, Aphelion, out August 27th, 2021.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Leprous
Posted: 30.07.2021 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 21   Visited by: 132 users
31.07.2021 - 00:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This is quickly shaping up to be one of the worst albums I'll never listen to.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.07.2021 - 00:59
musclassia

Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.07.2021 at 00:53

As someone who didn't like their previous album, having heard the promo of this one I actually rather enjoyed it, but I do recognize it will likely get some quite negative responses on here
31.07.2021 - 01:05
Love the track, a cool contrast to Running Low and Castaway Angels. The intro reminds me a bit of Foreigner from Pitfalls. The whole song seems like a blend of the styles of Malina and Pitfalls which is a good thing for me. I wouldn't mind if they'd sprinkle a bit of The Congregation or Coal into the mix for variety but I also like this melodramatic sound they have going on at the moment. Very cool stuff.
31.07.2021 - 07:31
DonMoenning

Geez agreed. Time to write them off.
31.07.2021 - 11:21
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Getting more and more formulaic. What attracted me to them in the first place is that they weren't.
----
31.07.2021 - 12:48
Icedburden

So much butthurt that they aren't heavy anymore. Great song. regardless of style, leprous is still a solid band.

They probably won't top bilateral or coal but I still enjoy most of what they put out.
----
Born Out Of Hate, Descending Upon The Earth
31.07.2021 - 13:08
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Icedburden on 31.07.2021 at 12:48

So much butthurt that they aren't heavy anymore. Great song. regardless of style, leprous is still a solid band.

They probably won't top bilateral or coal but I still enjoy most of what they put out.

You don't need to label people butthurt just because they prefer heaviness. There is no denial their sound softened, but I'd be fine with that (it's still far from post rock which is love) - however these recent songs are more in line with pop song structures than their previous stuff. Simple hook choruses and streamlined songs, no story being told musically. Maybe there will be a few surprise songs on the record but what they are promoting it with, I don't like.
----
31.07.2021 - 14:21
Written by qlacs on 31.07.2021 at 13:08

Written by Icedburden on 31.07.2021 at 12:48

You don't need to label people butthurt just because they prefer heaviness. There is no denial their sound softened, but I'd be fine with that (it's still far from post rock which is love) - however these recent songs are more in line with pop song structures than their previous stuff. Simple hook choruses and streamlined songs, no story being told musically. Maybe there will be a few surprise songs on the record but what they are promoting it with, I don't like.

I can imagine the backlash is not directed at the complaint that they decreased the heaviness. It's more towards the statements like "one of the worst albums I'll never listen to" (how will you know then?) or the assessment that Leprous became "pop" which is synonymous with "it's bad" for many metal fans. Personally, I find that statement ridiculous but to each his own, I guess. I agree, however, that Leprous has developed a formula that's vastly different from their first efforts and can understand that that sound is not everybody's cup of tea. But would they be less formulaic if they'd repeat Bilateral with every new record? This whole "they sound formulaic/like pop/not proggy enough" is just another way to phrase "I don't like their new direction and would like to hear them return to their early sound" - which is an opinion as valid as any.
31.07.2021 - 15:29
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by SchrödingersDog on 31.07.2021 at 14:21

I can imagine the backlash is not directed at the complaint that they decreased the heaviness. It's more towards the statements like "one of the worst albums I'll never listen to" (how will you know then?) or the assessment that Leprous became "pop" which is synonymous with "it's bad" for many metal fans. Personally, I find that statement ridiculous but to each his own, I guess. I agree, however, that Leprous has developed a formula that's vastly different from their first efforts and can understand that that sound is not everybody's cup of tea. But would they be less formulaic if they'd repeat Bilateral with every new record? This whole "they sound formulaic/like pop/not proggy enough" is just another way to phrase "I don't like their new direction and would like to hear them return to their early sound" - which is an opinion as valid as any.

So taking Bilateral as an example, Forced Entry is my favourite songs of that album: it developed ideas, transitioned from one into another - it had an arc. It went from one place to another. I think if the ideas are fresh but the approach is the same, an album could still work. Leprous are simplifying their songwriting for a while now, and we reached the point where there isn't much left to take; for me it reached a point of stillness. "Pop" in my perspective is used to represent the most stripped down version of what a song could be. I feel a disconnect when someone is trying to convey something deep in a very formulaic fashion.
And this is almost always a trend - in most cases there is no coming back from it. It's not like we're swimming in a sea of Bilaterals, but with each release there is less and less chance for it being repeated.

At the end of the day everone will listen to whatever they want, it isn't good or bad, just not my type.
----
31.07.2021 - 15:40
BCI

Written by DonMoenning on 31.07.2021 at 07:31

Geez agreed. Time to write them off.

I wrote them off when they brought out Malina and I still miss them dearly.
This new offering seems to be up there with Lulu or even worse Illud Divinum Insanus...
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
31.07.2021 - 15:44
Gladius

Not bad. Not really at all.
Even if my favourite albums are Tall poppy syndrome and The Congregation, still Malina is one of the bests IMO. The sound they are playing now is still enjoyable. Einar's feelings are exceptional, and the little phrases written by the guitars here and there are like a small gift, cleverly inserted.
Of course if they play other heavier songs, I won't complain at all...
Maybe it could be the worst album of their whole career, but even in this case it will be great. I wish I could say the same of all my favourite bands...
01.08.2021 - 05:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by musclassia on 31.07.2021 at 00:59

As someone who didn't like their previous album, having heard the promo of this one I actually rather enjoyed it, but I do recognize it will likely get some quite negative responses on here

My issue with them, keeping in mind it's not like I'm a longtime follower or fan of the band, is how they're obviously aiming to become a more streamlined pop-influenced radio metal band (which isn't an inherently bad thing) but that in doing so, they lose their identity.

I do think they're carving out somewhat of a niche despite that, but their songwriting is so linear and formulaic it's difficult for me to understand what about this contemporary version of the band appeals to anyone. It's not pure pop enough for pop fans and it isn't metal enough for metal fans. I'm curious to know what kind of audience this caters to.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.08.2021 - 11:31
Zap
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.08.2021 at 05:53

it's difficult for me to understand what about this contemporary version of the band appeals to anyone. It's not pure pop enough for pop fans and it isn't metal enough for metal fans. I'm curious to know what kind of audience this caters to.

There are obviously people that want exactly that: something in between.
It's a bit like wondering how Opeth could ever appeal to anyone because it's too prog for the extreme metallers and too extreme for the prog fans.
01.08.2021 - 15:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Zap on 01.08.2021 at 11:31

There are obviously people that want exactly that: something in between.
It's a bit like wondering how Opeth could ever appeal to anyone because it's too prog for the extreme metallers and too extreme for the prog fans.

I think early Opeth did a much better job at achieving that balance whereas this leans far too pop-heavy, similar to how later Opeth dropped the balance. Obviously there's still plenty of unreleased material to consume to get a better sense of judgment but based on what's available right now, it's not something I look forward to. More power to those who like this direction, though.
----
03.08.2021 - 23:41
Tuonelan

Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.08.2021 at 05:53

I do think they're carving out somewhat of a niche despite that, but their songwriting is so linear and formulaic it's difficult for me to understand what about this contemporary version of the band appeals to anyone. It's not pure pop enough for pop fans and it isn't metal enough for metal fans. I'm curious to know what kind of audience this caters to.

I still find them interesting because, while they have simplified the compositional side, they still play with complexity in their rhythmic sensibilities and make interesting choices for chords and melodies. I feel like they subvert pop and there's a layer of anger simmering under the surface that makes it feel unsafe.
----
Hopepunk living on a grimdark timeline
04.08.2021 - 11:57
Zap
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.08.2021 at 15:24

I think early Opeth did a much better job at achieving that balance whereas this leans far too pop-heavy, similar to how later Opeth dropped the balance. Obviously there's still plenty of unreleased material to consume to get a better sense of judgment but based on what's available right now, it's not something I look forward to. More power to those who like this direction, though.

I just wrote a long reply to this before realizing I misinterpreted what you were saying, so don't want to write so much again. Maybe for the better

It's too pop-heavy for me as well, and you're right that the balance shifted more in one direction. This band already lost me with their previous album, although I was never a huge fan.
I can still see this appealing to a lot of people, but it's definitely a different kind of appeal than previous works.
04.08.2021 - 14:48
Daniell
_爱情_
I won't whine that this song isn't metal, because it's a pathetically stupid argument. My favourite Leprous album is "Malina", so I do dig the band's non-metal incarnation. But these new songs are simply boring. Too bad.
04.08.2021 - 15:49
Zap
Written by Daniell on 04.08.2021 at 14:48

I won't whine that this song isn't metal, because it's a pathetically stupid argument.

Are you implying that anyone here is making that argument?
04.08.2021 - 17:45
JoHn Doe

Underwhelmimg tbh
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
05.08.2021 - 12:04
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Zap on 04.08.2021 at 15:49

Are you implying that anyone here is making that argument?

I don't think so, because I didn't read any posts before posting myself.
05.08.2021 - 14:44
Zap
Written by Daniell on 05.08.2021 at 12:04

I don't think so, because I didn't read any posts before posting myself.

Okay, I was just wondering, because that was not at all what I was trying to say with my previous comments.

Hits total: 1564 | This month: 5