04. Dormant Bodies Bursting
05. Compelled To Lacerate
06. Drowning In Viscera
07. Hung And Bled
08. Sanded Faceless
09. Mutation Of The Cadaver
10. When Death Replaces Life
11. Grotesque

And here we go - the "gods of grindcore", as many people call them, unknown why to me and to the band itself, have launched the "Bloodthirst" follow-up. It is the major event, taking place at Metal Blade for the early 2002. Why not? It was a titanic band, which used to sell a lot. It was the first real band to succeed with provoking and shocking everyone and everything with its deadly covers and 1000-ton heavy music. So what? After the departure of Chris Barnes, mid-way through recording "Vile", Corpsegrinder was a surge of freshness into the stale-aired room of the Cannibal concept.

Sadly it turned out to be nothing more. A relatively innovative "Bloodthirst", maintaining the raw and mutilating sound is now continued by an album, which hasn't got much new to offer, at least not to the people, who are deeply into death metal. An album, which was put high hopes on, hasn't gone past the dreaded phrase many music critics love so much: "It is just the logical follow-up of the previous album". However, this is very much the solemn truth. Absolutely no progress in the lyrical concept or in Fisher's singing, no progress in the artwork, no progress in the song-structure, in fact it is a second "Bloodthirst". It doesn't sound annoying, no way, but it is not a step forward, it is like a struggling effort by a huge giant, which is out of ideas. It is a typical "post-Barnes" Cannibal Corpse album and nothing more.

And the band is not to be blamed about it. After all, the trend they established and boosted them throughout those ten years is now over-exploited and it has turned boring. No more splattered brains or desecrated bodies, chopped off dicks and pails of blood, accompanied by an extremely brutal growling could impress a dedicated death metal fan. It is a decent album and it is a worthy piece for any cannibal fan and it would be a good starting point for people, who are now going into the depths of death metal, but little true death metallers would consider it fascinating.

Written by | 10.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 119 users
24.08.2007 - 20:07
DigitalGrind
Account deleted
I don't now how everybody else thinks but for me this is the finest album of them without Mr.Barnes.
28.08.2007 - 16:58
Baz Anderson

yeh, this album usually does have quite a bad reputation but I don't understand why..
I mean it isn't as good as some of their other albums, but it is still a really good album with some memorable tracks on it
17.02.2008 - 21:42
Rating: 10
Nyxgrinder

I just love how this album sounds, it sounds so heavy.........perfect to play it as loud as it ca nbe possible. Idk why is rated so low, maybe the album is a victim of censorship and is not well known, you can see it here too cause there's only a very few comments, and it's been visited not so often
But that makes it de cooler cause your fucken freak lazy ass neighbor won't have it, so you own a unique piece of brutal loud masterpiece of metal.............fucken Cannibal Corpse
18.03.2008 - 05:30
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Guest on 24.08.2007 at 20:07

I don't now how everybody else thinks but for me this is the finest album of them without Mr.Barnes.

Agree 100%. Best CC album on the Fisher era. Pit Of Zombies is frickin awesome, and there are many others good songs like Compelled To Laceredte and When Death Replaces Life (pretty diffrent but still nice).. This album is almost as good as Eaten Back To Life... get the 2nd place in my fav cc albums,
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.04.2010 - 02:50
Rating: 10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This has always been viewed as one of CC's weaker albums, and Ive never understood why...Its actually my fave, along with "KILL"! lol There isnt a single song on it that I find weak, which is very unsual for a CC album. The monster groove stomp of ''Pit Of Zombies'' and the positively evil sounding ''Hatchet To The Head'' are definitely standouts for me, but I love the whole album! Underrated for sure! xD
16.04.2010 - 15:49
soadbyob
Account deleted
Not the best, but not the worst.
16.04.2010 - 16:38
theflyingmachine

This is a great album if you just listen to it a couple of times. But, the more you listen to it, the more generic and stale it becomes.
16.04.2010 - 19:52
Rating: 9
I_Die_Often

One of my fav C.C.'s also, really like When Death Replaces Life.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???

Hits total: 7777 | This month: 5