08. Dorian
09. Down Where I Am
10. Immigrant Song [Led Zeppelin cover]

Disc II [Digipak bonus]
01. Lunar Lament
02. Wicked Witch [slow version]
03. Spatial Architects
04. Beneath These Waves [radio edit version]

The Second album released by Demons and Wizards, this album is quite amazing. This was released five years after their debut, which is understandable, considering that Hansi Kursch and Jon Schaefer are normally so busy with their main bands. But I must admit, when that chemistry is repressed for so long, the results are explosive, and this album is a testament to that. "Touched By The Crimson King" is an album conceptually based off of the classic book series by Stephen King "The Dark Tower." It is not a true concept album however, seeing as how certain songs do not pertain to the dark tower, such as "Dorian" or "Spacial Architects." With creative and constructive juices brewing in these two power metal master's brains, the outcome is fantastic.

The very first thing I must point out in this album is it's origionality. It may be a power metal album, but it also has progressive influences and very aggressive rhythms. An example of this would be the promotional track "Terror Train." Jon Schaefer plays a deep chugging rhythm, and it sounds similar to that of a train. This concept is quite entertaining, original, and the rhythm does certainly sound menacing, just like Blane the Mono, the character that the song is written about. Overall I would say that the guitar work is quite leering, melodic, and beautiful. Various solo's throughout the album sound almost divine. Yes indeed the guitar work on this album seems to be not at all flawed.

The Vocals on this album are also, as to be expected of Mr. Kursch, simply amazing. He layers his voice in multiple choruses throughout the album, and places a great amount of emotion into every casm of the album. The magnititude of his voice sends shivers down my spine, and this album I have to say out does his normal vocal work. An example of all of the previously mentioned aspects of his vocal work, may be seen on the sad but touching balad, "Wicked Witch." This song is depressing, but so beautiful, it moves me very deeply, and since I read the book series, I relive Roland's experience of seeing his love burning at the stake in my mind every time I hear it.

This is definitly an album worth picking up. It is almost flawless, and is undeniably a great combined effort of the leaders of legendary bands Blind Guardian and Iced Earth. Go to your local CD store and buy it now!

Album Highlights; Crimson King, Terror Train, The Gunslinger, Wicked Witch, Spacial Architects.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written by Arian Totalis | 16.07.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Jeff
Rating:
"Is it possible to see one day the release of a new album of the magical German/American combo Demons And Wizards?". Lately, it was one of the big questions of our little Heavy Metal world and the answer, we know it today, is "yes!!!". I have the luck, only 4 years after "Demons And Wizards", to have in my hand their new excellent album "Touched By The Crimson King" and don't worry fans, they're still the same great artists and no doubt that we will talk about their new release this year hooo yes?

Read more ››
published 16.06.2005 | Comments (0)

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Here is finally the second album from Demons And Wizards, after 4 years of silence and a logical silence since the combo is no other than a common project of two very busy musicians, namely Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth and Hansi Kürsch from Blind Guardian. I've been a Blind Guardian fan for years now while I was into Iced Earth until "Horror Show" ruined my mood, and Hansi is my ultimate favorite singer ever, so I was expecting this album with high hopes. Maybe, too high.

Read more ››
published 26.07.2005 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 78 users
25.08.2007 - 03:58
PowerMetal
Account deleted
Great album and a very good review! My first true Heavy Metal album and I'm so thankful I picked it up. Some might not like the blend of slow and fast songs, but I enjoy the variety of progressive/power/heavy elements.
25.08.2007 - 06:14
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
It not bad I dunno which Demons And Wizards album I like best though
10.02.2008 - 20:04
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I agree with Arian's review. This is an amazing album, flawless completely. And teh cover of Led Zeppelin is amazing, hasi's vocals on that one are great, no wait. They're flawless in all the album. And so is Jon's Guitar. Great album.

Quote:
Go to your local CD store and buy it now!
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
08.05.2008 - 05:39
Rating: 10
IconMaiden

A masterpiece again in my opinion. if they add andre to this lineup i really feel like it could be one of the best groups around. but jim morris is great and a good freind of jon's, so you can't have everything.
10.07.2009 - 22:31
Nicko's Nose

Originality: 10

LOL... Right......................................
13.07.2009 - 02:02
Rating: 9
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, maybe I over did it for this review, but I was really in love with the album at the time (it still pwns face)
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
06.10.2016 - 23:04
Rating: 6
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I would add that song nr 4 is also awesome what needs attention
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5890 | This month: 5