Metal Storm logo
Jabberwocky And Other Nonsense

31.05.2006 - 06:36
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this nonsense poem by Lewis Carroll (who wrote 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' and it's sequal 'Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There')? I always thought the poem was interesting and fun to read, and once you know what he is talking about, it comes out to be a nice flick. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else knew anymore Poems or stories like this? Away ye go!
----
The force will be with you, always.
31.05.2006 - 07:08
Daibh
Account deleted
Lewis Carroll, yeah. You really have to check out the "Hunting of the Snark". That can't fail to impress you if you like the "Jabberwocky"!!!
13.06.2006 - 20:17
fire101
Account deleted
I havent heard of his other works, but Im gonna look into this.
27.11.2006 - 01:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
apparently we are going to know some lines of them off by heart by the end of my psychology degree
some people have done studies on memory using these 'nonsense syllables'
05.02.2007 - 01:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Jabberwocky is actually a very important piece as far as linguistics are concerned. He played with words and gave them new senses. Played with sentence structure and the words' functions. We had to read some passages and analyse it. I even got Jabberwocky on a test and its not easy.
I also studied Alice in Wonderland.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.02.2007 - 04:24
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeh - there was a study done about memory with nonsence syllables..
people remember sentences better if they understand the sentence as apposed to stuff like this

there has probably been other sorts of studies..
20.01.2008 - 00:35
Ernis
狼獾
I read an article at school once which analysed the background of Lewis Carroll and his relationships with all the young girls who served as his muses for his psychedelic tales....this article wrote bout Carroll that he was a man very keen on all kinds of psychotropic mushrooms and other recreational drugs and that he didn't feel ashamed when offered drugs to the little girls....all in all...was he a pedohphile drug addict?
21.01.2008 - 04:46
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 20.01.2008 at 00:35

I read an article at school once which analysed the background of Lewis Carroll and his relationships with all the young girls who served as his muses for his psychedelic tales....this article wrote bout Carroll that he was a man very keen on all kinds of psychotropic mushrooms and other recreational drugs and that he didn't feel ashamed when offered drugs to the little girls....all in all...was he a pedohphile drug addict?

Did this article mention mention Lewis Carroll's real name, or his day job?
21.01.2008 - 16:50
Ernis
狼獾
His name was Dodgson right? I think yeh it was mentioned there....as well as he worked as a mathematician or something.....
25.01.2008 - 17:35
Linak
I Own You Bitch
"T'was brilig and the silthy toves
did gyre and gymble in the wabe
all mimsy were the borogoves
and the mome raths outgrabe"

I absolutely love the Jabberwocky, that whole book 'Through the Looking Glass' is one of my favorite books ever. Aww, Lewis <3
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
02.07.2008 - 01:02
dehydration
Account deleted
That's a cool poem. Interesting how he managed to create atmosphere and convey some images through nonsense words. We looked at it during one English lesson and even tried to translate it into normal English
07.08.2008 - 02:24
Thunderdrake
Has anyone here seen the Monty Python movie Jabberwocky based on the poem? Not one of their best movies, but if you like the poem you'll probably like the movie.
Also, there's a song that's always reminded me of Jabberwocky because it's done in the same kind of nonsensical style, though not to the same degree. The song is "The Walloping Window Blind".
http://www.barefootsworld.net/windwalker/walloping.html
This link has the lyrics and a midi of the melody for anyone interested.
----
For Metal!!!