Metal Storm logo
Children Of Bodom

Original post

Posted by Warman, 02.09.2007 - 15:49
New thread for CoB.

Last discussion was about the new song, "Tie My Rope", and the upcoming album of course.

Continue the discussion!
19.01.2009 - 22:48
written in stone
Account deleted
Yeah bodom coming back to winnipeg, anyone have the set list for the new up and coming north american tour? with lamb of god??? kinda want it to know what im going to except from the gods...thanks a million

20.01.2009 - 00:02
Nexus
Asshat
Written by Warman on 17.01.2009 at 18:49

Hell yeah! The first time I saw them headline ("Chaos Ridden Years" show) I was blown away by the performance and the awesome setlist. It was also the second live show I attended, so everything was still kinda new to me. Will never forget that evening.

Oh, and BTW, I really hope Alexi isn't ashamed of the older albums. I hope he was drunk. I totally understand it when guys like Thomas Gabriel Fischer bashes his albums like "Cold Lake". But Cob? No.

I heard somewhere that he particularly dislikes the first album as he attempted to model his playing after Yngwie Malmsteen instead of going his own way. *shrugs* I still think the first three are their best.
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
25.01.2009 - 09:45
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Just looking back on the old posts in this thread, I noticed I used to like Blooddrunk, and I can't remember why, I probably listened to it for about a week when it first came out and I think I've only put it in once since then to write a review. Nor do I have the desire to put it in again.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.01.2009 - 12:14
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Ive listened to Blooddrunk twice in total....and its disgusting. I have no desire to listen to any Bodom albums from HCDR and onwards....Listened to Something Wild again the other day and it just emphasizes their fall from grace. Seriously epic albums at the start....and now all we're left with is down-tuned guitars and angst....lame
26.01.2009 - 04:26
ChirsT
Account deleted
Man, Blooddrunk was a fucking kickass album, trust me, i hated it at first, it's a different flow, but it's awesome. Have you payed attention to how complex the fucking songs are? The self titled song it's fucking nuts, its triplets PM with some of the most messed up notes ive seen in a while. The whole album, from start ot finish was kickass. Hellhounds On My Trail, Tie My Rope, Banned From Heaven, Roadkill Morning, those song are fucking NUTS, though the solo's are never going to be as good as the one's on Follow the Reaper, it's still amazing man. Further more, just cause there using Drop C doesen't mean it's turned ot shit. I dont know, just my opinion, but i cant wait till they play with Lamb of God on april 16th, and i fucking pray they play some of there new stuff. BUt this is just my opinion, to each his own.
26.01.2009 - 08:48
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.01.2009 at 04:26

Man, Blooddrunk was a fucking kickass album, trust me, i hated it at first, it's a different flow, but it's awesome. Have you payed attention to how complex the fucking songs are? The self titled song it's fucking nuts, its triplets PM with some of the most messed up notes ive seen in a while. The whole album, from start ot finish was kickass. Hellhounds On My Trail, Tie My Rope, Banned From Heaven, Roadkill Morning, those song are fucking NUTS, though the solo's are never going to be as good as the one's on Follow the Reaper, it's still amazing man. Further more, just cause there using Drop C doesen't mean it's turned ot shit. I dont know, just my opinion, but i cant wait till they play with Lamb of God on april 16th, and i fucking pray they play some of there new stuff. BUt this is just my opinion, to each his own.

Yep, there are maybe two of us who likes that album
26.01.2009 - 09:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Why is it all the young Canadians around this site feel the need to embarrass themselves?

COMPLEXITY DOES NOT MEAN QUALITY! Dragonforce have already proved that many times over. Tuning has got nothing to do with the new album being bad (even though the tuning does grate on the nerves after a while), its the song writing itself being aimless shit. Theres got to be some climax or something, not just 3 minutes of straight wanking.
----
- George Carlin
26.01.2009 - 18:53
ß
Problem?
I agree with Dr.Rock. It seems like lots of "younger" teens think because something is complex or popular it means it's good I definitely don't see a correlation between the two.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
27.01.2009 - 09:13
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 26.01.2009 at 09:16

Why is it all the young Canadians around this site feel the need to embarrass themselves?

COMPLEXITY DOES NOT MEAN QUALITY! Dragonforce have already proved that many times over. Tuning has got nothing to do with the new album being bad (even though the tuning does grate on the nerves after a while), its the song writing itself being aimless shit. Theres got to be some climax or something, not just 3 minutes of straight wanking.

hmm.. or maybe they just like it, and for them it means quality
27.01.2009 - 09:28
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 27.01.2009 at 09:13

I suppose. I used to think that way as well, most people I know (including myself), grow old of the whole "look how fast he can play! That automatically makes the music good!" type of attitude after a while. Maybe thats just me though.
----
- George Carlin
27.01.2009 - 09:43
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 27.01.2009 at 09:28

Written by Guest on 27.01.2009 at 09:13

I suppose. I used to think that way as well, most people I know (including myself), grow old of the whole "look how fast he can play! That automatically makes the music good!" type of attitude after a while. Maybe thats just me though.

No, it's not only you, I'm not so fond of example dragonforce (they have couple good songs). The speed ain't the main thing, but the feeling , but different people have different quality standards, but let's leave this be ok.
27.01.2009 - 09:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 27.01.2009 at 09:43

No, it's not only you, I'm not so fond of example dragonforce (they have couple good songs). The speed ain't the main thing, but the feeling , but different people have different quality standards, but let's leave this be ok.

If I were to leave it be then there would be no use for forums. Discussion is nice.
----
- George Carlin
27.01.2009 - 12:46
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 27.01.2009 at 09:46

Written by Guest on 27.01.2009 at 09:43

If I were to leave it be then there would be no use for forums. Discussion is nice.

Usually there's fighting if people starts to discuss these kind of things. But hey, if you want then of course I will discuss this thing. But if someone starts to throw shit on others, that I don't like.
29.01.2009 - 08:48
Nexus
Asshat
Bah.

I don't know what it is, but the first three albums are so atmospheric ... they just have such an allure to them. Everything flows well, nothing's overdone. The keyboards flow in nicely, and complement the general sound as opposed to their later albums where they just seem to dominate. It's hideous.

I find now, everything sounds so ... forced? It's almost like their forcing added complexity into their songs, as opposed to just letting it flow like it seemed to. I don't know why, I can't exactly explain it, but I know that I don't like it.

Admittedly though, Needled 24/7 and Sixpounder are awesome songs off HCDR! Trashed, Lost & Strungout off AYDY? is one of my favourite Bodom songs. It totally owns! The song Are You Dead Yet? is passable, but other than that ... I listen to a few songs off Blooddrunk, and I knew it wasn't going anywhere good. I didn't bother wasting my time listening to the rest of their stuff. It was rather disappointing, as I had heard that Blooddrunk was much better than Are You Dead Yet?, but I guess I had automatically assumed they had returned to their old roots. Ooooh well.

Regardless, I hope they play a majority of their old songs when they come to Montreal! I'm only going to see them, and I'm paying 40+ bucks. It'd almost feel jipped if they didn't, but that's my opinion.
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
29.01.2009 - 09:13
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by Nexus on 29.01.2009 at 08:48

Bah.

I don't know what it is, but the first three albums are so atmospheric ... they just have such an allure to them. Everything flows well, nothing's overdone. The keyboards flow in nicely, and complement the general sound as opposed to their later albums where they just seem to dominate. It's hideous.

I find now, everything sounds so ... forced? It's almost like their forcing added complexity into their songs, as opposed to just letting it flow like it seemed to. I don't know why, I can't exactly explain it, but I know that I don't like it.

Admittedly though, Needled 24/7 and Sixpounder are awesome songs off HCDR! Trashed, Lost & Strungout off AYDY? is one of my favourite Bodom songs. It totally owns! The song Are You Dead Yet? is passable, but other than that ... I listen to a few songs off Blooddrunk, and I knew it wasn't going anywhere good. I didn't bother wasting my time listening to the rest of their stuff. It was rather disappointing, as I had heard that Blooddrunk was much better than Are You Dead Yet?, but I guess I had automatically assumed they had returned to their old roots. Ooooh well.

Regardless, I hope they play a majority of their old songs when they come to Montreal! I'm only going to see them, and I'm paying 40+ bucks. It'd almost feel jipped if they didn't, but that's my opinion.

Give that album some time and just listen to it, it will open for awhile. I thought first that blooddrunk sucks, but then I just listened to it when I driving car from I don't remember, and had nothing else to listen and then I started to realise amazing that album is
29.01.2009 - 10:03
The Butt
Account deleted
One of my favorite bands.

My favorite era is the Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper eras... Follow the Reaper being one of my favorite metal albums, period; but the rest of the stuff is of very good quality as well... even AYDY (which was alright) and Blooddrunk (which I thought was a great return to form).

The only one I don't really like is Hate Crew Deathroll; there's a few good songs, like Needled, Angels Don't Kill, and Bodom Beach Terror, but overall, I find the album to have this overarching "jolly" or "happy" feel to it. Turns me off.
12.02.2009 - 11:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by ß on 26.01.2009 at 18:53

I agree with Dr.Rock. It seems like lots of "younger" teens think because something is complex or popular it means it's good I definitely don't see a correlation between the two.

I think part of that, like you said, is age, and for your reading pleasure I will explain my logic:

I just think when you're younger you're still kind of finding your "niche" so to speak, its easy to get wowed by shiny things. When you're going through this niche searching you aren't exactly aware of it, so you obviously don't admit it (I went through it - hell, I could still be going through it for all I know). At this same time since one hasn't exactly settled in and grown an expertise in any specific sub-genre, you don't exactly know how to articulate why something is good beyond technicality & skill level, as you mature things start to click with your brain - concepts like soul, atmosphere and other such non-tangible aspects, so the best way to argue why something is good is because its difficult to play. Some people hit this sooner than others, and like I said - you're completely unaware of it simply because understanding these different aspects of the music isn't something you can be taught, or you just wake up one day and understand, its a growth, much like puberty. At the same time its usually someone whose dedicated to the music that sticks with it until this "clicks", hence why I try to have patience with metal fans under 17, you gotta walk before you run!

I hope that made sense.
----
- George Carlin
12.02.2009 - 11:46
ForeverDarkWoods
I've never liked Bodom. To me, they've pretty much just released bad album after bad album, but at least Something Wild had a lot of energy to it, which made it enjoyable to an extent. The recent stuff just makes me want to puke or something (HCDR and forward) and Follow The Reaper didn't do much for me at all, but I still listen to Something Wild and Hatebreeder like once a year or something just because the energy of those albums is quite enjoyable sometimes. They pretty much dropped that part and got all lame, ultra gay and shit later though. I've heard a few songs from Blooddrunk, and it seems even worse than Are You Dead Yet (which I was actually contemplating wether or not it was even possible).
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
12.02.2009 - 17:39
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Roope Latvala was interviewed on the radio last week and he said Bodom will go to studio and start working on the new album right after the gigs of next summer. He said they'll perform at three festivals in Finland and that they won't go to Wacken this year, because they've been there so many times.
----
You'll never walk alone.
12.02.2009 - 18:08
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Ernotar on 12.02.2009 at 17:39

Roope Latvala was interviewed on the radio last week and he said Bodom will go to studio and start working on the new album right after the gigs of next summer. He said they'll perform at three festivals in Finland and that they won't go to Wacken this year, because they've been there so many times.

Already? Shouldn't be better to take some pause to organize NEW and possibly good ideas?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
12.02.2009 - 19:42
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Elio on 12.02.2009 at 18:08

possibly good ideas

In any sentence mentioning recent COB this phrase makes little sense IMO. We can at least hope for something not as bad as blooddrunk, and that they regain the energy they used to have on Something Wild. Probably not gonna happen though, as that would make them lose their following of little emocore kiddies, and the money they persuade their parents to spend on COB's albums.

It's simple really:

Less shitty modern groove riffs + less purposeless instrumental wankery + more genuine energy = less emocore kid fans = less money

If I want to listen to COB I want the energy they used to have with that fun, cheesy power metal riffing, not modern shitgroove with gay vocals and some synths.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
13.02.2009 - 00:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 12.02.2009 at 19:42

emocore kid fans

You kind of lost me on that one. -20 points in the "Taking this guy seriously" department.
----
- George Carlin
13.02.2009 - 08:41
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Doc G. on 13.02.2009 at 00:50

emocore kid fans

You kind of lost me on that one. -20 points in the "Taking this guy seriously" department.

WTF? You haven't seen those? There aren't those in Canada?

Here there's a fuckton of little Slipknot fans wearing Bodom shirts nowadays since HCDR was released. I just used the term to describe those, and I wasn't directing that at anybody of you guys who might like the albums.

Shiity, modern groove riffs appeal to the maintstream somehow... What I hate the most is that it's such a big fuck off to their older fans.
----
13.02.2009 - 08:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 13.02.2009 at 08:41

emocore kid fans

Here there's a fuckton of little Slipknot fans wearing Bodom shirts nowadays since HCDR was released. I just used the term to describe those, and I wasn't directing that at anybody of you guys who might like the albums.

Shiity, modern groove riffs appeal to the maintstream somehow... What I hate the most is that it's such a big fuck off to their older fans.

Nah, its just if you want to make any valid argument against a band it shouldn't be because you don't like the way a certain fan-base dresses.
----
- George Carlin
13.02.2009 - 08:46
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Doc G. on 13.02.2009 at 08:44

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 13.02.2009 at 08:41

emocore kid fans

Nah, its just if you want to make any valid argument against a band it shouldn't be because you don't like the way a certain fan-base dresses.

The fan base isn't the problem. The fact that they make music in an obvious effort to appeal to said fanbase (also taking away all the quality from their music), while giving their older fanbase the middle finger is.

Popularity isn't a bad thing in itself, but the sole pursuit of such may hurt the quality of the music.
----
13.02.2009 - 08:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 13.02.2009 at 08:46

The fan base isn't the problem. The fact that they make music in an obvious effort to appeal to said fanbase (also taking away all the quality from their music), while giving their older fanbase the middle finger is.

Popularity isn't a bad thing in itself, but the sole pursuit of such may hurt the quality of the music.

Wouldn't say that at all. I really don't think they "sold out" in any way (doesn't mean the music isn't crap). It sounds like they just slowly got a more slick production to their albums, I don't see any evidence of the fact that they are pursuing a certain fanbase, seeing as Something Wild was a pretty accessible album in itself.
----
- George Carlin
13.02.2009 - 08:59
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Doc G. on 13.02.2009 at 08:51

Wouldn't say that at all. I really don't think they "sold out" in any way (doesn't mean the music isn't crap). It sounds like they just slowly got a more slick production to their albums, I don't see any evidence of the fact that they are pursuing a certain fanbase, seeing as Something Wild was a pretty accessible album in itself.

HCDR and AYDY? are accessible in a completely different way. While SW relied on catchy melodies, good riffs, tasteful solos and an awful lot of energy, their later stuff relies on groove riffs, simplistic melodies mostly done with the synth, look how fast I am moments, and vocals that wouldn't be that much out of place in a metalcore band. They also completely lack said energy nowadays.

Something obviously changed. Not too hard to figure out what (exactly the same thing that changed for every band to make this transition).
----
13.02.2009 - 09:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 13.02.2009 at 08:59

HCDR and AYDY? are accessible in a completely different way. While SW relied on catchy melodies, good riffs, tasteful solos and an awful lot of energy, their later stuff relies on groove riffs, simplistic melodies mostly done with the synth, look how fast I am moments, and vocals that wouldn't be that much out of place in a metalcore band. They also completely lack said energy nowadays.

Something obviously changed. Not too hard to figure out what (exactly the same thing that changed for every band to make this transition).

Whats so bad about groove riffs? Secondly Alexis vocals were never a notable part of the band, right from the start. SW relied on copy-cat riffing, borrowing ridiculous amounts from Yngwie Malmsteen, and a few others.

And "energy" is really a subjective thing.
----
- George Carlin
13.02.2009 - 14:40
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Doc G. on 13.02.2009 at 09:03

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 13.02.2009 at 08:59

Whats so bad about groove riffs? Secondly Alexis vocals were never a notable part of the band, right from the start. SW relied on copy-cat riffing, borrowing ridiculous amounts from Yngwie Malmsteen, and a few others.

And "energy" is really a subjective thing.

As a result of this SW was a fun album to listen to sometimes. It's not something to be praised to death, but it was fun.

Groove riffs aren't a bad thing necissarily, but COB's groovy influences aren't of the good kind.

There's groove riffs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q78yBwcbF5g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8-J4hL7iDM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDG-6rBDa3E

And then there's groove riffs...... :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQYPn_en6OU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAjKtmT3lk (more of them in the title track, which perhaps would have been a better example)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y-DibwjEn0

Examples of different kinds of groove riffs from both the good and bad sides...
----
16.02.2009 - 12:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FEexRDj3Ww&feature=channel_page

what do they mean in the middle of the song "how dare they create something that sounds similar to us?"