06. The Real You
07. Two Minds Of Soul
08. I Will Awake
09. Dancing With The Devil
10. Father (7 Years)
11. Tangled In Dream
12. Inner Peace [bonus]
13. On The Turning Away [bonus] [Pink Floyd cover]

Is time to review one of the most press-celebrated records of the year 2000, Australian act Vanishing Point topped the charts with this, their second release, a perfect mix of Progressive Metal and Hard Rock.
The first thing that impressed me was the excellent musicianship and songwriting of the album, the guitars and keyboard makes an terrific duo, while the vocals are delightfully interpreted, a good mix of power with emotion.

As for the cover art, let's say no more, see it for yourself, just gorgeous, you don't get this kind of enthusiasm in each album you buy.
Looks aside, I must say that this sounds great too, almost each song is a killer one, full of catchy rhythms, great keyboards and emotional yet potent vocals.

The album starts with "Surreal" a perfect opener for the album, a fast-paced, keyboard-driven fast tune, with mysterious moments, topped by a great chorus, next is "Samsara" one of my favorites, starting as a nice calmed song, becomes this melodic song with some great chunky riffs here and there.
"Closer Apart" is another great tune, full of memorable moments, but only an introduction to my favorite song in the album, "Bring It On The Rain", a mid-paced touching song, full of excellent arrangements and a choir that will keep you singing for weeks.
For a more darker, somber approach, try "Never Walk Away" another masterpiece, and for a song full of acoustic moments try "The Real You", you won't be disappointed.
There's even a and excellent rendition of Pink Floyd´s "On The Turning Away" included as a bonus track in the Australian edition.

Vanishing Point comes in a time where every Progressive band is trying to emulate Dream Theater. Adding Hard Rock influences to the original mix, Vanishing Point manages to capture the quintessence of these 2 styles and merge them to create an unique approach to this kind of music.
A definitive winner, and a must-have in every shelf of any fan of Progressive Metal or Hard Rock, Vanishing Point is a band that I'm sure we'll hear a lot in the future.

Written by Undercraft | 25.05.2004

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 42 users
06.09.2007 - 03:15
PowerMetal
Account deleted
Sounds like an interesting mix that I will have to check out.
25.08.2010 - 16:06
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Curious about this band after reading this review.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 8179 | This month: 6