Metal Storm logo
Rugby Union

Original post

Posted by Judas, 08.09.2007 - 08:34
The 2007 Rugby World Cup has kicked off in France, and I just realised that there isn't a thread for this fine game on Metalstorm! So, all who are interested in this game, named for the Rugby School in England where William Webb Ellis picked up a football during a game and ran with it, here is a thread for you to talk about recent developments and to ask questions about that which you may not understand.

Now, about the World Cup, I didn't get to watch the first match because it was really early in the morning for us here, but when I woke up I was stunned to see that Argentina had beaten France, the host nation! Any thoughts on the game from those who did see it?
16.07.2022 - 23:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Chile qualified 1th time ever to WC ...well game against Columbia was canceled due Covid-19 in Columbia, Chile get in Group Uruguay/ Chile / Brazil (Argentina Qualified with Top 12 finish at 2019 World Cup), then via play offs home vs away against Canada and USA even whit one more point in agg 52-51. What a luck for Chile heheheheh even some luck that Argentina is automatically there to.
Cool.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.09.2023 - 17:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
So world cup is ahead
Opening game between France 27 - 13 New Zeeland well, big guns did play but to me it was bit boring, Can be plaid at 21.00 It was drop goal and penalty game, but in end France get 2 tries. I hope France will win this time

Wales 32–26 Fiji was awesome game
I end Fiju player gave pass to team mate, he lost a ball and ref did whistle end. It was a try situation it would give 5 points it means 31, and if they would realized Conversion it is 2 points they would win. wow what a thriller end.

Japan 42–12 Chile
Its Chile debut

I will return later in october alfer group stage game when play offs will come whit more comments.
----

apos;'
[image]
26.09.2023 - 09:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Many interesting things happening before even group stage is over

Pool A
Not much now big game New Zeeland vs Italy, NZ should make more as 4 tries and stop Italy under 4.

Pool B
Biggest thing was South Africa 8-13 Ireland

Pool C
Australia might not qualify to play offs. Georgia must win Fiji on Ausie favor

Australia 15 -22 Fiji
They lost to main concurrent and it was first Fiji victory over Ausie since 50's
----

apos;'
[image]
09.10.2023 - 14:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
WC is cool, group stage is over, and well first 2 teams advance in quarters, first 3 teams are in next Rugby WC last 2 from 5 goes home emthy

Last day Fiji 23-24 Portugal
But Portugal should keep Fiji under 4 tries to do not get bonus point what would help Australia , now they flying down under.,
Georgia is last in the group also is surprise, but I see them in next WC more as I see Portugal, Rugby is ruled byt western minded people, I dont see world rugby will let them access qualification.

Pool A:
France , New Zeeland / Italy / Uruguay , Namibia
A but surprise, I thought all blacks will be first at group, but well last 2 be in next WC via qualification, no doubt

Pool B:
Ireland, South Africa / Scotland / Tonga, Romania

Pool C:
Wales , Fiji / Australia / Portugal, Georgia

Pool D: England, Argentina / Japan, / Samoa, Chile

Knockout stage
Wales - Argentina
Its not football, it will be opposite, Wales will ride over gauchos as they would do in football.,

Ireland - New Zeeland
This time new continent teams are sluppy, British island teams show some reticence and game, I say Ireland can do it this time.

England - Fiji
Fiji has nothing to loose, go minus 2 or minus 45 is equal, so I say they will test English nervs and who knows maybe even wins here.

France - South Africa
This should be final, I hope its not end of the road, I hope , France , Ireland or Wales wins.
----

apos;'
[image]
15.10.2023 - 08:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Wales 17-29 Argentina
Thats the surprise I never thought Arg will take it, I dont remember Arg ever reached semis before, its interesting and nice see underdogs biting hard.

Ireland 24- 28 New Zeeland
Tight game, bigger machine, bigger defense and more power to attack and Ireland almost done it, but like I said in opponent are much bigger they somehow can find way to stop that attack and find way how get trough defense. Thats why often you can try score a drop goal not a get try can help.

Semi Nr 1
Argentina - New Zeeland
One miracle happened, I dont see here that Arg do more, even one week is enough to catch up and recover but I think they did what they did not expected can and return as heroes even. I thinbk first 20 minutes they will hold up, then NZ will drive over.
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2023 - 09:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
England 20 - 24 Fiji
I have seen often England ijnj play of games when no standings in a table dont exist , when they have chance they score drop goal, they dont go to the Try. I know Try is 5 points plus conversion kick after can give you 2, So one attack total 7 points, but in such games I think Englands key is drop goal.

France 28-29 S Africa
French dreams died, if you read what I post about England and drop goal, it is reason why France did not won, they had attacks when they did not get try, maybe kicking in drop goal would help them.

Semi Nr2

England vs S Africa
S Africa struggled against France , won whit one point and same I told about England and drop goal, I will repeate here, might be why they go to the final.
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2023 - 21:29
musclassia

Written by Bad English on 19.10.2023 at 09:41

Semi Nr2

England vs S Africa
S Africa struggled against France , won whit one point and same I told about England and drop goal, I will repeate here, might be why they go to the final.

If the 'they' in 'they go to the final' is referring to England, I highly doubt it - South Africa are gonna thump us barring a miracle
19.10.2023 - 21:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by musclassia on 19.10.2023 at 21:29

Written by Bad English on 19.10.2023 at 09:41

Semi Nr2

England vs S Africa

If the 'they' in 'they go to the final' is referring to England, I highly doubt it - South Africa are gonna thump us barring a miracle
yes England.
Remember final 2003 I think when England won thanks to Wilcinsson drop goal in late end when Aus had no time play back. It can happen now, France proved they can play against SA. I bet sek 50 on Fiji winning over Wallabys won sek 500,same i bet on Argentina. I bet sek 20 that Arg wins all blacks and sek 20 that they do final. If it happens I will win some cash. I can buy beer and reindeer sosages. Not big sum of cash but I say final is Eng vs NZ.
----

apos;'
[image]
21.10.2023 - 13:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Argentina 6-44 New Zeeland
All Blacks won, but same time it was under 50. All Blacks are capable do almost 100 points per game against weak teams get like 15 or more try's. Argentina stand tall ands well, its good result for them. Seems playing in super rugby helps .
----

apos;'
[image]
24.10.2023 - 18:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Semis

Argentina 6 - 44 New Zeeland
All blacks seems saved energy to the final, or Arg is better after playing in super rugby?

England 15-16 S Africa
To me SA won 2 European teams by luck only one point, that 72 min penalty , Eng had like 8 minutes left, well its equal and tide result, that say SA are better, more lucky this time.

3th Place Game
Argentina vs England
David Backhem band Diego Pablo Simione should see it lol
3th place, Eng hoped for gold, Arg seems surprised all , I am betting man this time and I say Arg takes 3th place

Final
New Zeeland vs South Africa
Enjoy game fellas, record be broken we have a team who will win 4th tittle, question is who ,can SA be second team after NZ who wins 2 times in a row?
----

apos;'
[image]
01.11.2023 - 10:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
3th place

Argentina 23- 26 England
Los Pumas already re wrote history, this is almost like a winning WC in a football, I hope they be welcomed as heroes at home.
They almost did it, then in the end they kicked ball forward, English player blocket it, stoll it and get try 5 points and convestion kick 2 points. If that forward kick would work well Arg would be 3th.

Final

New Zeelands 11-12 South Africa
Those games always are tied, hard to get a try. Penalty often are used to get points. SA did all their points whit penalty ity was 6-12, then later NZ get one crazy try and conversion. 11 -12 and they missed penalty if they would use it ity would be 13-12. They came back when one player get red card. When big boys play its harder to brake the line, harder to hold the line(same way easier to hold it) , finals usually are not rich whit runs, beautiful moves.

Conclusion :
SA is second team what won tittle 2 years in a row.
SA is 1th team whit 4 tittles
Great games, game tournament whit normal time zone , surprises, good games, and popularity is reaching.

what next?
2027 Australia
2031 USA

Some say after rugby WM is not future, yes it is, stop watch football. Club companioning is happening, Super Rugby too, 3 Nation cup and 6 Nation cup (every year), in France and UK leagues are running. Many PL and CL games are boring, Serie A and La Liga to, same Rugby big games, small games, and so on, its running. I believe Souther hemisphere teams will dominate in game. Next WC hmm France and England can hope for semies,

2023 will be in USA hmmm
I say FIFA WC in 1994 did it change soccer in USA, no and yes, Major Leuage soccer now is bigger as some European leuages after so many years it worked and next WC will be there to. No they wont get as MBL, NBA, AFL even NHL players but I believe MLS can cocurate whit NHL they have own croud, and people attend games and watch on TV:
Rugby will it be big in USA and Canada in 2032, no but maybe in 2045 yes since its English language dominated sport, NRL hmm National Rugby league(fiction name) can happen there 4 canadian teams 6 or 8 American and maybe Mexican, Chilean and Argentinaren to.(speculation). Can be small league whit own cround what find some TV to broadcast. Its good they have Rugby there.

2027 Men's Rugby World Cup

Qualified teams:
Africa: South Africa (defending champions) , can they do hat trick, 3 times in row. Hmm if it happens it would bee sanction
Asia: Japan
Europe: England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland. Wales
Oceania: Australia, Fiji, New Zeeland
South America: Argetina

Rest of 8 teams will be decide via qualication (My speculation: Tonga, Namibia, Georgia, Chile Canada(or USA) and Romania. Rest Spain or Portugal, and one till.
----

apos;'
[image]
08.11.2023 - 12:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Btw another fact what make S. African 3th title iconic is they were banned from 1989 and 1993 wc due political situation. They could return in sport world in 1995.
----

apos;'
[image]
14.11.2023 - 06:25
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
With rugby poaching Sua'ali'i from the Roosters, the Roosters are now poaching a Wallaby to replace him.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.02.2024 - 12:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Maybe after WC last year this years Six Nations Cup is maybe a bit boring, but I can say 2 things

France 17-38 Ireland
Irish lads send French boys to the school, I saw French has no attitude and fighting spirit. All Irish trys and points was easy, but in end French came back

Italy 24-27 England
Well in Roma 57000 watched game is awesome number, but big sport is for TV so should be plaid at 20:00 when its dark outside.
Italians almost send English men home, but they manage came back

Wales 26-27 Scotland
It was 27 to 0 in the end, but Wales manage came back whit 26 points and rare case when looser team gates one bonus point because of 4 trys and one bonus point because lose whit less as 7 points and winning team did not manage get bonus point due did not get 4 trys. In last minute they had change, but maybe 20 years ago it would be good, but as try ball should be put on pitch by attacking player, scots man did not did it ball was slept and dancing, so no try. Basically it was awesome, thats why I like rugby more as football.

----

apos;'
[image]
12.02.2024 - 14:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Day 2
England 16-14 Wales
England killed Welsh hopes, but now they has 2 teams left to win Ireland and France. And Ireland vs France also is important match.

Scotland 16-20 France
France start sloppy but later save the game and find character to win, maybe Scottish weather bite them, who knows, but they won and has hopes high to won whole thing. They need win England and Ireland. Scotland can come back in dying seconds but after video referees watched all angles they and even I can not say its 100% try. If it would be Scotland would win 21 or 23 -20 (depends if refs would alowe do conversion kick)

Ireland 36-0 Italy
Like 20 years ago it was called 5 nations cup, then came Italy its easier make calendar I suppose for 6 nations , but maybe Georgia can be close, but where is easier to fly? Then Italy cant be replaced , hmm Germany, Spain, Portugal maybe but then be like lose whit 70 points. Romanian rugby goes down. Russia is banned and in Rugby world they can be banned since its english speaking cominity and UK, Ireland are united against Russians. So Let Italy be.
If results wont be so harsh agaisnt Italians and since Irish player did not get injury, Italian did football or hockey type tackling whit knee . To me its red not yellow.

To compare level
Check out highlights https://www.youtube.com/@SixNationsRugby

and Game between Germany sv Georgia. Simply as day vs night

----

apos;'
[image]
22.02.2024 - 22:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just checked 2023 Rugby Championship 2023 standings, Australia got one point, they lose all games even at home against Argentina and away to only point they get was bonus point against home lose to Argentina. Not surprise why Ausies plaid bad not get out of pool stage in WC, and Argentina did play well against Wales in knock oit and did lose was it whit 7 points against All Blacks

This year seems well 6 games, not 3 as before. Not one home and away. but 2 home vs same team. MC Vice is it due travels?
All games are known. only Argentina home venues is not anounced.

New Zeeland - Sky Stadium, Wellington , Eden Park, Auckland
Australia - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, Optus Stadium, Perth, Accor Stadium, Sydney
South Africa: Mbombela Stadium, Mbombela, Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town, Ellis Park Stadium, Johannesburg
Argentina - TBA (last season in Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, Mendoza. Before some years they supose play home games at away pitch.
----

apos;'
[image]
27.02.2024 - 08:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Six Nations Game Day 3
Ireland 31-7 Wales

Good game, Ireland get bonus point, cant say much.

Scotland 30-21 England
I thought England will win easy after beginning but when they passed , Scotland stoll ball get try. They had same situation but they later keep control and of ball and won. Sad no bonus point try Scotland manage do 3 trys

France 13-13 Italy
Lille ultras use pyro in Stade Pierre-Mauroy. France so far use 3 arenas, rest of team use national arenas or national rugby arenas.
After England lose, France had super good chances try takes this and win.
First 10 minutes I thought its will be easy walk, but in end Italy came back whit try, penalty conversion and get penalty in last minute but it was rebound., Damn what unlucky they were.
France after WC has crisis bad performance. I remember 10 years ago was last hahhaa

So far best is for Irland but we will see if they win in London England and get bonus point they win. In theory France can do it to . Wales and Italy are gooners now.
----

apos;'
[image]
11.03.2024 - 13:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
England 23-22 Ireland

This was a title game, England had hopes, Ireland could win and be winners. Boring game, hard game, not best game. If England could do 4 tries they would get bonus point. England show again that DROP GOAL is answer sometimes to win. It was last minutes 20-22 and England score drop goal and get 3 points and Ireland had no chance came back .
What next Irland-Scotland, France-England.

Italy 31-29 Scotland
What a victory, first half was muscles as commentator said , second was better and after draw agnats France where Italy could win, Italy somehow manage win this game, in edgy last 3 minutes when Scotland get try and conversion but it was it. Historical win for Italy and Olympico in Roma maybe 60 000 spectators

Wales 24-45 France
Best game in the round.

Final round

Wales-Italy
This match is prestige, Wales dont want be last , Italy to they have chance whit win even go to 3th place if Scotland and France dont win, one team needs loose

Ireland-Scotland
Ireland needs win to win all thing this time, 4 point difference. Lose yes they can whit under 7 points and 4 tries, then 2 bonus points

France-England
England needs win but its French pride what will not want see them winning. I say game will end draw.

----

apos;'
[image]