Metal Storm logo
Celtic Frost

Original post

Posted by Judas, 31.05.2006 - 17:55
I'm honoured to open up the official thread for the Swiss Metal Gods, Celtic Frost. This band is arguably one of the most influential in the development of modern forms of Extreme Metal. They never stagnated, weren't afraid to experiment, and to this day remain committed to pioneering new ground. This is evident in their newest release, 'Monotheist', their first after a 14-year hiatus.

Anything that relates to this great band, its members and their releases, can be said in this thread.

To get started, I'm going to post my thoughts on 'Monotheist'. I got it yesterday, and after a few listens (it takes more than 1 to digest it fully) the musical scope has really hit me in the face. It might not be as revolutionary as their 80s masterpieces ('Morbid Tales', 'To Mega Therion', 'Into the Pandemonium') but it is much more focused in it's direction. 'Morbid Tales' and 'To Mega Therion' were full of a raw, primal rage, while 'Into the Pandemonium' sprawled into multiple genres, with each song having a unique take on things, but 'Monotheist', while a weighty 73 mins, is much slower, darker and dirge-like. The sound can IMO be described as a Doom-filled Death Metal, with Ambient and Industrial touches here and there. It's very hard to explain, you must hear it for yourself.

Comments anyone?
25.07.2008 - 12:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 25.07.2008 at 05:37

I thought Celtic Frost was together all this time since Monotheist...when did they break up again after that album?

Where have you been? Tom G. Warrior left Celtic Frost late March, early April
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.07.2008 - 13:32
TheBigRossowski

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.07.2008 at 12:28

Written by Guest on 25.07.2008 at 05:37

I thought Celtic Frost was together all this time since Monotheist...when did they break up again after that album?

Where have you been? Tom G. Warrior left Celtic Frost late March, early April

What are you laughing about? I wanted to see them live....:(

To Mega Therion!!!! For fans of Celtic Frost, the German black-thrashers "OLD" live on!

It was shitty to see him go, but understandable. I have this black metal documentary and he talks a bit about the struggles with the record labels and what not. It sounded pretty rough, like they got screwed over quite often!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
25.07.2008 - 16:40
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Marcel H: That wasn't too long ago...I was under the assumption that the band fell apart in 2007...because I did see them live in 2006 with 1349...
25.07.2008 - 16:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 25.07.2008 at 16:40

@Marcel H: That wasn't too long ago...I was under the assumption that the band fell apart in 2007...because I did see them live in 2006 with 1349...

I was surprised you didn't know it (although it wasn't too long ago) because we posted the news at the time.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2008 - 12:27
Thryce
Retired Staff
It's official now: Celtic Frost has been laid to rest for good! Martin Eric Ain and Tom Gabriel Fischer have posted the following press release yesterday:

"In the wake of the events transpiring earlier this year, we, who together formed Celtic Frost in 1984 and together reformed the group in 2001, have discussed the situation and agree that any continuation of Celtic Frost without either one of us would be irreconcilable with our original ideas and detrimental to the group's legacy. We have therefore jointly decided to lay Celtic Frost to rest for good and to treasure and honor what we have created together in the course of the history of this truly unique band. All that is left to do now is to bow our heads in sincere gratitude and pay respect to Celtic Frost's audiences and friends who have made this group's existence possible in the first place."
----
Your favorite band sucks.
17.09.2008 - 03:57
Richard

Probably the right decision. I'm always sceptical about bands reforming anyway. I liked the fact that they didn't want to reform Hellhammer as it was a moment in time that they couldn't recapture - it leaves it as something untarnished - and so to end Celtic Frost may also be the right choice. I know Tom really regrets 'Cold Lake', but apart from that he seems to regard the legacy and vision of Celtic Frost as very important. He often seems unnervingly intense in interviews, he really takes it to heart.
----
19.09.2008 - 21:52
Nordland
Account deleted
Thomas Gabriel Fischer started a new band or "project" called Triptykon.

"Triptykon will sound as close to Celtic Frost as is humanly possible, and the album I am working on will feature all the material I envisioned for the successor to Celtic Frost's Monotheist. I desire the album to be a darker, heavier, and slightly more experimental development of Monotheist."
21.09.2008 - 05:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Whoa so I did with Celtic Frost's Monotheist what I've been doing lately by giving albums that I didn't think much at first a second chance after not playing them for at least over a year, and I'm fucking digging this shit so much right now. Progeny, Ground, A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh (used to think it was overrated), Ain Elohim, and Triptych: Totengott are really hitting me. Sure it's slower and there is too much filler, but you still have the badass vocals and guitar tone.

But I am seriously sleep deprived so I might just be talking out of my ass lol.
30.09.2008 - 00:44
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
tom warrior needs to stop being a drama queen and come back to Celtic Frost and embrace the awesome that it represents.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
30.09.2008 - 07:21
ElevatorDS
Account deleted
sucks to see they're finished, we got to open a local show for them a few years ago, excellent is all i can say
27.05.2009 - 08:14
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I posted this on the news, but maybe no one will see that there, as I said, the doubt attacked me last night and I was asking myself about Celtic Frost while listening to the Monotheist album, if he plans to release new songs and with a sound "as close to Celtic Frost as is humanly posible", then why he disbanded Celtic Frost?

Edit: BTW I still feel idiotic, cuz one or two years ago, they came to Mexico with some other bands but I said, "well, no money, maybe I'll catch them next time with a new album"... then I read the news about they disbanding. aaah!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
31.05.2009 - 20:40
Thought.
A Dying God
Written by Daggon on 27.05.2009 at 08:14

Edit: BTW I still feel idiotic, cuz one or two years ago, they came to Mexico with some other bands but I said, "well, no money, maybe I'll catch them next time with a new album"... then I read the news about they disbanding. aaah!

One of the biggest mistakes of my life...
----
There is no God but the one that dies with me. I have no life but the one I take with me to the grave. We come into this world alone. And we will die on our own. I live. I die. Ain Elohim.
01.06.2009 - 12:15
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Thought. on 31.05.2009 at 20:40

on the other side when i saw them live i didn't know how great they were and i could appreciate them... stupidness..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
02.06.2009 - 01:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

yeah they came here about two years ago on Halloween with 1349 and I didn't feel like taking the time off of work, probably because of money or the fact that I already had been to too many concerts around that time, so I'm still pissed. I missed SYL because I got too drunk (got kicked out during an opening band), then they broke up, and now Celtic Frost? Goddammit -_-
02.06.2009 - 16:30
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Dangerboner on 02.06.2009 at 01:22

yeah they came here about two years ago on Halloween with 1349 and I didn't feel like taking the time off of work, probably because of money or the fact that I already had been to too many concerts around that time, so I'm still pissed. I missed SYL because I got too drunk (got kicked out during an opening band), then they broke up, and now Celtic Frost? Goddammit -_-

LOL about SYL.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
14.09.2009 - 15:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
"One in Their Pride" is hands down one of the worst songs of all time. Especially the re-entry mix.
----
15.09.2009 - 00:09
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I don't mind it. I don't know why but it never bugs me.
05.04.2010 - 09:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
metalsucks chatted with Tom G. Warrior. in regards to "Cold Lake"...

So you're not a fan of the album?

I am extremely happy about this album in a way that, at least I have done the absolute worst I could possibly ever do in my entire lifetime - I've done that. So no matter how much I'm going to fail in the future, I will never sink that low again. No matter how many missteps and mistakes.

Cold Lake is the absolute lower limit of whatever can come from my mind. So there it is, at least one positive thing that can come from it. It's probably the worst album ever created in heavy music. I'm not saying that to be cynical. This is my honest opinion. I have to live with this. But I was the only guy from Celtic Frost, so I bear full responsibility, regardless of the facts behind it. And I'm accepting that responsibility. I'm not a coward. It is an utter piece of shit, and that's not crass enough to describe it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.04.2010 - 09:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah, I think his opinion on that album reflects his current mood. In one interview he'll say it's a disaster, but in the next he'll say that no other band would ever have the balls to release an album like that. I still have no desire to hear it lol
05.04.2010 - 17:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 05.04.2010 at 09:39

Yeah, I think his opinion on that album reflects his current mood. In one interview he'll say it's a disaster, but in the next he'll say that no other band would ever have the balls to release an album like that. I still have no desire to hear it lol

I have only read interviews with Tom proclaiming it an abolute disaster. You happen to have any links to those other interviews? I am interested in reading them.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.04.2010 - 18:00
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I saw it last year on YouTube, and I think it was done right after Celtic Frost broke up this last time. Tom was pissy during the entire interview, and defended everything he's done, including Cold Lake.
05.04.2010 - 18:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 05.04.2010 at 18:00

Tom was pissy during the entire interview, and defended everything he's done, including Cold Lake.

well, the guys is one of the biggest dickheads around in metal apparently. When Metal Forces slagged off the first Celtic Frost release he refused to do any interviews with them for years to come.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996