Metal Storm logo
Celtic Frost

Original post

Posted by Judas, 31.05.2006 - 17:55
I'm honoured to open up the official thread for the Swiss Metal Gods, Celtic Frost. This band is arguably one of the most influential in the development of modern forms of Extreme Metal. They never stagnated, weren't afraid to experiment, and to this day remain committed to pioneering new ground. This is evident in their newest release, 'Monotheist', their first after a 14-year hiatus.

Anything that relates to this great band, its members and their releases, can be said in this thread.

To get started, I'm going to post my thoughts on 'Monotheist'. I got it yesterday, and after a few listens (it takes more than 1 to digest it fully) the musical scope has really hit me in the face. It might not be as revolutionary as their 80s masterpieces ('Morbid Tales', 'To Mega Therion', 'Into the Pandemonium') but it is much more focused in it's direction. 'Morbid Tales' and 'To Mega Therion' were full of a raw, primal rage, while 'Into the Pandemonium' sprawled into multiple genres, with each song having a unique take on things, but 'Monotheist', while a weighty 73 mins, is much slower, darker and dirge-like. The sound can IMO be described as a Doom-filled Death Metal, with Ambient and Industrial touches here and there. It's very hard to explain, you must hear it for yourself.

Comments anyone?
28.11.2007 - 04:48
Veeken
Account deleted
the only album i have is monotheist, and i must say its a damn good album.
28.11.2007 - 21:10
mankvill

Written by Guest on 28.11.2007 at 04:48

You owe it to yourself to get more.
29.11.2007 - 00:29
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by mankvill on 28.11.2007 at 21:10

Personally, i don't care too much for the album monotheist. It is a good album, but I was expecting more out of it.
29.11.2007 - 03:16
mankvill

Written by Marcus on 29.11.2007 at 00:29

Personally, i don't care too much for the album monotheist. It is a good album, but I was expecting more out of it.

I think it's fantastic. It's a good album, but also a fantastic breath of fresh air after some of CF's other releases (Cold Lake D: )
29.11.2007 - 22:35
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by mankvill on 29.11.2007 at 03:16

I think it's fantastic. It's a good album, but also a fantastic breath of fresh air after some of CF's other releases (Cold Lake D: )

The only other Celtic Frost album I've listened to was Vanity Nemesis, and in comparison, Monotheist is amazing.
30.11.2007 - 04:43
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Marcus on 29.11.2007 at 22:35

Written by mankvill on 29.11.2007 at 03:16

The only other Celtic Frost album I've listened to was Vanity Nemesis, and in comparison, Monotheist is amazing.

I love 'Vanity/Nemesis', I don't know why so many people don't rate it highly. In any case, it's a bit hard to compare 'Monotheist' to any of the older material, because it's so bloody different in style.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
08.12.2007 - 23:49
Bow To Cheese!!!
Account deleted
Legendary band, I can't get the song Ground out of my head, but i'm glad I can't . I just bought Monotheist yesterday and it was worth every penny.
09.12.2007 - 01:47
mankvill

Ground is a fantastic song.
09.12.2007 - 20:36
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm so fucking curious about how the next album will sound. But I guess it'll take a while for it to come, well well... we at least have the Hellhammer demos to look forward to.

PS. Wonder if they'll finish their Requiem on the next album?
----
14.03.2008 - 20:56
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
I haven't heard any of Celtic Frost's music. Which album would u guys recomend I get first?
14.03.2008 - 21:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Sepulchre on 14.03.2008 at 20:56

I haven't heard any of Celtic Frost's music. Which album would u guys recomend I get first?

"To Mega Therion" if you can find it... "Monotheist" and "Morbid Tales" (reissued with the "Emperor's Return" ep) are also great albums.

"Monotheist" is the one you are most likely to find - at least if you, like me, buy your music.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.03.2008 - 04:34
JESTER576
Account deleted
I love Celtic Frost. Circle of Tyrants, and Ground are my 2 favorite songs. Has anyone else heard Anthrax's cover of Dethroned Emperor? I was disappointed....but then again that was back during Anthrax's Stomp 442 days and pretty much everything off of that album sucks. Anyway, Frost kicks ass.
27.03.2008 - 00:53
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Ah yes, just getting some head banging going to "Dethroned Emperor." I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Celtic Frost, but I no doubt enjoy them and respect them for what they've done.
----
The force will be with you, always.
27.03.2008 - 12:27
owl

There's a lot I still don't know about Celtic Frost. That's a big lapse in my musical culture which I intend to annul shortly.
I only know "Monotheist" properly, and it's an album I fell in love with instantly. But it seems to me to be very different from their previous works, from what I've listened to so far.
----
16.04.2008 - 14:22
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Tom Gabriel Fischer has left Celtic Frost,it will be the end of them??
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
16.04.2008 - 16:34
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I certainly hope not, Monotheist was a really good album, I just found out about his departure today although it was announced about a week ago, if I'm correct.
16.04.2008 - 16:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 16.04.2008 at 16:34

I certainly hope not, Monotheist was a really good album, I just found out about his departure today although it was announced about a week ago, if I'm correct.

I certainly hope so. Celtic Frost without Tom is no Celtic Frost. I was so sad when I heard the news, still am.
----
16.04.2008 - 16:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Stop the crying people. Bands split up, that's a fact of life. And Celtic Frost already split up years and years ago. And IMO only reunited because everyone was talking about them and Tom saw money in that, I think. That Monotheist turned to be good was just pure luck IMO.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.04.2008 - 16:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.04.2008 at 16:39

Stop the crying people. Bands split up, that's a fact of life. And Celtic Frost already split up years and years ago. And IMO only reunited because everyone was talking about them and Tom saw money in that, I think. That Monotheist turned to be good was just pure luck IMO.

Yeah, but it's sad that they split up when they released such a great album. The first time they had already released Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis, two piles of shit!
----
16.04.2008 - 16:44
owl

Call me pessimistic, but I don't think they should try to continue without Tom. He was more than just a vocalist, he was their soul. Maybe it's better to preserve a great memory of CF in their golden days and finish now, than to let them decay, should they find someone who's not up to the task (which is most likely to happen).
----
16.04.2008 - 16:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Warman on 16.04.2008 at 16:41

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.04.2008 at 16:39

Yeah, but it's sad that they split up when they released such a great album. The first time they had already released Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis, two piles of shit!

Everything before those two I also regard as pieces of shit, though not as crap as Hellhammer (now THAT was/is REALLy crap).

You could also be glad they split up after a great (your words, not mine) album because then they can't release any crap any more.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.04.2008 - 16:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.04.2008 at 16:45

Everything before those two I also regard as pieces of shit, though not as crap as Hellhammer (now THAT was/is REALLy crap).

You could also be glad they split up after a great (your words, not mine) album because then they can't release any crap any more.

I'm gonna murder you Marcel!
Everything they've released with the exception of Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis is amazing. And that includes Hellhammer too!
----
16.04.2008 - 16:49
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.04.2008 at 16:45

Actually a part of me is glad, because if they split up, they do so after releasing a great (imo) album, the other part of me is disappointed because I didn't get the chance to see them live.
18.04.2008 - 01:20
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Written by owl on 16.04.2008 at 16:44

Call me pessimistic, but I don't think they should try to continue without Tom. He was more than just a vocalist, he was their soul. Maybe it's better to preserve a great memory of CF in their golden days and finish now, than to let them decay, should they find someone who's not up to the task (which is most likely to happen).

I agree! Perhaps start a new band,whatever... Just leave the name Celtic Frost intact!
----
21.04.2008 - 15:23
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Tom Gabriel Fischer has posted the following message on his official blog:

"It was not my departure from CELTIC FROST which caused the group's inexorable demise. It was the group's inexorable demise which caused my departure.

"CELTIC FROST's approach was unlike any other I have encountered in my many years in the music industry. Regardless of whether one revered or detested CELTIC FROST, this was a deeply unique group. And while there were unquestionably some who did detest CELTIC FROST, it seemed impossible for them to manifest any criticism beyond petty personal attacks or preposterous conjecture typically rooted in their own distorted perception rather than in the group's actual reality. In fact, this might also be true for some of us within the group itself.

"In its second incarnation, CELTIC FROST was far more unassailable than in its first. It could only be destroyed from within. And this, we accomplished to perfection.

"Leaving the project which was the focus of most of my existence, the group that was the content of my life, was not a decision I took hastily or lightly. On the contrary, it was, and still is, extremely difficult and almost unbearably painful. My departure was a consequence of the personal environment prevailing within the group for some five years, and particularly since CELTIC FROST stepped back into the limelight in May 2006. I would not have taken this step if there had been a glimpse of another option. But there wasn't; the damage incurred had finally become irreversible.

"For the past seven and a half years, CELTIC FROST was for the second time synonymous with my life, my energy, my passion, my vision, and my creativity. So much so, that I was frequently berated by those around me for the intensity of my identification with the band. But CELTIC FROST was, of course, not just art and creativity ? it was also an assemblage of very distinctive and extremely volatile human characters. This was the group's very propellant and, ultimately, its ruin. The thought that this great, extraordinary band no longer exists, that it had to disintegrate due to what in effect constituted human complacency, is utterly insufferable.

"It is also completely unbefitting the unique legacy of CELTIC FROST.

"It has become simply impossible to reply to the uncounted phone calls and mails I have received since the news of my departure broke. To learn that CELTIC FROST has come to mean so much to so many is extremely moving. At the same time, it is also dreadful to know how disappointed all those are who loved the band. This also includes our friends and mentors, some of whom tried to intervene together with me until the last minute (and, in some cases, past it) to prevent the worst from happening. Carmen and HR Giger, for example, Ravn of 1349, or the group's brilliant manager, Antje Lange.

"Moreover, it is nearly impossible to justify the course of events in the face of those who worked so hard to enable the disinterment and second rise of CELTIC FROST: our live guitarists V Santura and Anders Odden, our webmasters, our crew, and the staff of our concert agency, Twisted Talent, and of our record company partners, Century Media.

"I am attempting to collect my thoughts right now, which is still incredibly difficult. Artistically, I did not want to leave CELTIC FROST at all; I have never been happier with the music and creativity in the band. I saw 'Monotheist' as only the first of hopefully several distinctive albums by this group. I thus plan on continuing exactly in the artistic vein of CELTIC FROST. I had very a distinct vision of what the next two CELTIC FROST albums might consist of, and I intend to eventually fulfill this vision and complete these albums with a new group. I would also like to continue touring and perform the music I have written in CELTIC FROST over the years for audiences all across the globe.

"In closing, at long last, I am also deeply indebted to my friend Wrath of AVERSE SEFIRA for his forceful epitaph in honor of CELTIC FROST, which stands representatively for the many comments I have received."
15.05.2008 - 07:34
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i think Tom G. Warrior left Celtic Frost to prep for a new album. Peter Steele of Type O Negative faked his own death for his "Dead Again" album. i think thats what its called. something like that. this might either be an epic waste of time, an epic comeback that ends fabulously, or Tom G. Warrior actually LEFT. LOL.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
05.07.2008 - 15:55
Timelord

Morbid Tales,To Mega Therion,Emperor's Return,Tragic Serenades and Into the Pandemonium are the only true CF albums to me. WTF were they thinking on Cold Lake and Vanity/Nemesis. Mono shouldn't have had the CF tag either. Good album for another name but gone was the brutality and rawness which started to show with Into the Pandemonium. I saw CF in New Orleans last year and the only highlights were the older songs. The Mono stuff bored the shit out of me. If Tom wants to do that kind of stuff he has been around long enough to carry on without having to ride the CF name any longer. Stop dragging the name through the mud with the constant change in musical directions.
24.07.2008 - 14:50
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
If any of you had the hope to see Celtic Frost reunited just read this.
----
25.07.2008 - 05:37
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I thought Celtic Frost was together all this time since Monotheist...when did they break up again after that album?
25.07.2008 - 12:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 25.07.2008 at 05:37

I thought Celtic Frost was together all this time since Monotheist...when did they break up again after that album?

Where have you been? Tom G. Warrior left Celtic Frost late March, early April
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996