01. Intro
02. Longing For Sorrow
03. Old World Disorder
04. My Only Family (My Only Enemy)
05. Backstabber
06. Suffer In Silence
07. To Each His Own
08. Feather [Live acoustic]

Silent Scythe is an unsigned young band from Sweden. They used to play a technical Death/Thrash metal very heavy but also very melodic. "Longing For Sorrow" is their second demo and for a demo I must say that this work is more professional than a lot of signed bands?
When I listened this album for the first time, I must say that I said: "Woawwww this cd kick ass!!!" I will explain to you why?

Silent Scythe is a band for sure, but this combo follow the spirit of their Guitarist and leader Tommi Djukin. It 's him who created Silent Scythe and it's also Tommi who writes all the songs and lyrics of the band, make the artwork of the cd etc?
"Longing For Sorrow" is an excellent album; I must admit it all the songs are great, well composed with good lyrics. It's certitude, Tommi Djukin, in addition to be a very good guitarist, is a really good songwriter.
The musicians are also very good, all the guys of the band are perfect on this cd, Johan Strende is a very good Drummer, same for Peter Henningsson [Guitars] and Anders Frykebrant [Bass]. But I must particularly congratulate the singer Tobbe Jansson because is voice is? excellent. And maybe it's the real great point of the band? Imagine a powerful melodic Thrash/Death song without grumbling but with a fucking Heavy voice à la Iced Earth. Then maybe you understand what I mean, with Silent Scythe we have a band who has knew how to do the perfect mix between Heavy, Thrash and melodic Death.
For the production, this cd is a demo but the guys of Silent Scythe made an excellent work. Produced by Tommi Djukin, engineered and mixed by Ola Sonmark at RFM Studio and mastered by Hakan Fredriksson, we have here a great sound for a demo. Maybe not powerful enough some times but really I only can congratulated them for this very good work?
For the end, I will just, quickly, talk about the only bad point that I find on "Longing For Sorrow". The originality. Be careful !!! Silent Scythe is not again a clone of a Children Of Bodom or In Flames, in large part due to the excellent voice of their singer, but for some tracks, it's not very new? But really, this problem is not very important, this a demo and this is a young band, then when I see this album and when I see the talent of these guys I'm absolutely certain that the next album [and I hope it won't be an auto-production?] could be really amazing.

Well if you like Thrash, melodic Death metal or just Heavy metal, I'm sure that you will be dazzle by this excellent "Longing For Sorrow". Silent Scythe is a great young band and these guys are good, there is no doubt. Sincerely I hope that a good label will signed them, they deserve it.
"Longing For Sorrow", is an excellent demo, certainly better than a lot of productions than we see today. Good songs, good musicians?. merely great.
One of the best newcomer of the year, you must know them, and we must follow them and I'm sure that we'll heard about them very quickly.

Written by Jeff | 19.11.2003

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 7 users
13.09.2007 - 19:54
Carrion
Account deleted
Pretty cool album, I have the re-released version, named Suffer In Silence.
15.09.2007 - 13:16
Deadsoulman

Written by Guest on 13.09.2007 at 19:54

Pretty cool album, I have the re-released version, named Suffer In Silence.

I have this one too, though nothing has changed except the name... Very cool album, I love the vocals. Too bad they disbanded right after the release

Hits total: 4004 | This month: 13