Metal Storm logo
New feature: Album collection and Wishlist

Original post

Posted by Ivan, 13.09.2007 - 20:22
Yes, now you can create your own album collection here on MS! I've been asked many times about this feature, and now it's finally here. Here are some of its possible uses:

- Keep track of your albums and wishlist, sort them by band, year, rating or purchase date
- Keep track of release dates of albums in your wishlist
- See the albums you haven't yet voted for and do it very conveniently right on the Collection page
- Show your collection to other users and see their collections

And coming after we have enough entries:
- We will analyze your favorite bands, album collection, ratings and try to find users with similar tastes and maybe make some suggestions about other bands or albums you might find interesting
- Our own charts will show how many people own an album and which albums are currently 'hot'

We are also open to any suggestions about additional features/uses of Album collection.

You can add albums from your Collection page, as well as using the 3 new buttons under album images:
- I have it! means just that - that you already own the album
- Just got it recently - means that you've acquired this album within the last few days - this will add the album with the purchase date set to current day. Mainly for the charts, but you might also find it useful.
- Add to my wishlist - add the album to your wishlist

Another way to add albums is the albums list. You can filter the albums there in any way you want and then add them one by one using the buttons.

Have fun!
16.09.2007 - 12:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Doc G. on 16.09.2007 at 04:16

Written by Bad English on 14.09.2007 at 18:46

Written by Ivan on 14.09.2007 at 09:24

Written by Doc G. on 14.09.2007 at 09:13

Just out of curiosity, when we add an album to our 'Wishlist' that hasnt been released yet, will we get a notification on the release day or anything...just a side thought for us people who are busy or have no memory span for remembering dates.

I'm thinking about it...

How about trade list?
Some members maybe want sold some albums what thay dony listening so much, ist be usefull too

actually I really like that idea, having a list of albums you dont want anymore, then other members can look at that list and offer trades. Or perhaps what might be easier would be to have the albums that you want to trade like highlighted in a certain colour or have a star next to it or something like that

I agree but I had only 2 albums hat I wanna sold its Kiss - 'Dynasty' and Ozzy - 'No More tears' I had 2 copies of them
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.09.2007 - 06:05
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Bad English on 16.09.2007 at 12:25

Written by Doc G. on 16.09.2007 at 04:16

Written by Bad English on 14.09.2007 at 18:46

Written by Ivan on 14.09.2007 at 09:24

Written by Doc G. on 14.09.2007 at 09:13

Just out of curiosity, when we add an album to our 'Wishlist' that hasnt been released yet, will we get a notification on the release day or anything...just a side thought for us people who are busy or have no memory span for remembering dates.

I'm thinking about it...

How about trade list?
Some members maybe want sold some albums what thay dony listening so much, ist be usefull too

actually I really like that idea, having a list of albums you dont want anymore, then other members can look at that list and offer trades. Or perhaps what might be easier would be to have the albums that you want to trade like highlighted in a certain colour or have a star next to it or something like that

I agree but I had only 2 albums hat I wanna sold its Kiss - 'Dynasty' and Ozzy - 'No More tears' I had 2 copies of them

Yes, but some people (like me) may have a good chunk of albums they dont listen to anymore and would willing for a swap with some other MS' who have albums they dont listen to but I may want.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.09.2007 - 13:04
Ivan
Retired Admin
Updates:

- Tradelist
- Collection download
17.09.2007 - 14:14
Judas
The Amputator
Whoa, this is an awesome new feature! I don't have time to fill in my stuff yet, but I will do so during the holidays! There are a few CDs I'd like to trade, so this is useful beyond belief. Thanks very much Ivan + other staff.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
18.09.2007 - 10:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Ivan on 17.09.2007 at 13:04

Updates:

- Tradelist

Yes! Awesome!.....But Ivan! Ivan! I want more....not to sound like an annoying prick here, maybe I'll put it in the form of a suggestion then. You know how your setting up a system to automatically see who has similar tastes with yourself? Well, what if there was a system to match up people who have tradelists and wishlists that are similar? For example, I have Ayreons "The Human Equation" on my trade list, perhaps its on someone else wishlist, could there be something to show that?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.09.2007 - 10:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I hate to say it, but a system similar to that of the Metal-Archives would be cool. The little textbox to add comments (for example: signed by bandmember x, handnumbered 235/300 etc.)
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
18.09.2007 - 11:21
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Doc G. on 18.09.2007 at 10:08
Written by Ivan on 17.09.2007 at 13:04
Updates:

- Tradelist
Yes! Awesome!.....But Ivan! Ivan! I want more....not to sound like an annoying prick here, maybe I'll put it in the form of a suggestion then. You know how your setting up a system to automatically see who has similar tastes with yourself? Well, what if there was a system to match up people who have tradelists and wishlists that are similar? For example, I have Ayreons "The Human Equation" on my trade list, perhaps its on someone else wishlist, could there be something to show that?
Hey good idea... an extension to that may be something that takes the user's country into account... my isolated location is the reason I won't be using the trade list. Though maybe it doesn't matter to the majority in other areas...

Also good suggestion about the comments line, I was thinking of that too. Perhaps add an extra space at the top as well, to write a note of something that applies to a fair portion of the collection but not to the rest?

Another idea I had a few hours ago was to have a link to a review from the collection list if the owner has written one for each album?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
18.09.2007 - 22:41
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
This already exists on Metal Archives. I can't understand why you would adopt this feature when the amount of albums listed on this site is fairly small and therefore collection lists will be incomplete. How many users have posted a list of their collection online for others to view and linked it in their profile or signature? Couldn't we just have presumed this was therefore unwanted?

Trading: Have a trade section like any other forum does. Don't bother with complex systems to post trade/wantlists. As I've already stated, the list of albums on this site is fairly small so what do people do for albums without info on this site? Secondly, it takes ages to go to each album page to add it to your list. They had a similar feature on MA and nobody uses it for that reason. They just post their list on the trade forum. Also, how many people on this site have actually traded or sold stuff to others via forums in the past?

Was it Sethula that had this in his sig: "Everything is possible. Not everything is necessary".
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
18.09.2007 - 23:13
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by -tom- on 18.09.2007 at 22:41

This already exists on Metal Archives. I can't understand why you would adopt this feature when the amount of albums listed on this site is fairly small and therefore collection lists will be incomplete. How many users have posted a list of their collection online for others to view and linked it in their profile or signature? Couldn't we just have presumed this was therefore unwanted?

Trading: Have a trade section like any other forum does. Don't bother with complex systems to post trade/wantlists. As I've already stated, the list of albums on this site is fairly small so what do people do for albums without info on this site? Secondly, it takes ages to go to each album page to add it to your list. They had a similar feature on MA and nobody uses it for that reason. They just post their list on the trade forum. Also, how many people on this site have actually traded or sold stuff to others via forums in the past?

Was it Sethula that had this in his sig: "Everything is possible. Not everything is necessary".

you point out the problem to my eyes : the incomplete bands / albums list.
Two possibilities : 1) don't care ; 2) let's add it.
But then MS will be another MA. Why not ?

But then again, let's just try it. Francky I like the idea and I'm starting right now. And it will certainly add to MS' community side.

Great work Ivan !
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
19.09.2007 - 00:20
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by -tom- on 18.09.2007 at 22:41

First off, you can add non-featured albums just as easily. Also, you it doesn't "take ages to go to each album page to add it to your list" - as I explaned earlier, go to the Albums list, filter it by band or whatever, and add entire discographies in a matter of seconds. Took me less than 25 minutes to compile my list of 368 albums.

Second, if you read the original post, you'll see that there are many uses for this feature, and having an organized list of your albums is just one of them. Most of them aren't even implemented yet, so wait and see.

I don't see much use in Tradelist though, but people wanted it and it was an easy addition - so why not? Even if you're not actually going to sell/trade these albums, at least you'll have a nice list of CDs you don't need.

Btw, by now over 26.000 albums have been added to users' collections, which makes me assume that it actually is a somewhat useful feature...
20.09.2007 - 16:32
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Ivan on 19.09.2007 at 00:20
Think you could have an option to show or sort by type, as you can now for artist and year?

I'd also like to see these apply for the wishlist but it's not that important. BTW Mr. Site Runner Man, are you flooded with quote notifications every day?
----

20.09.2007 - 18:13
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Syk on 20.09.2007 at 16:32

Written by Ivan on 19.09.2007 at 00:20
Think you could have an option to show or sort by type, as you can now for artist and year?

I'd also like to see these apply for the wishlist but it's not that important. BTW Mr. Site Runner Man, are you flooded with quote notifications every day?

Yes, I was planning to add type select as well. And no, I actually don't receive that many quote notifications - certainly less than 5 per day.
22.09.2007 - 06:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The download to text update is awesome.

As it has already been mentioned, I do think that a comment box for each album would be useful. I often buy the original and remastered versions of the same album, and I think that should be noted, even though it could be obvious just by looking at the year. But still, someone could own a remastered/re-released version of an album and put the original date on, which wouldn't be accurate.
22.09.2007 - 08:39
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Dangerboner on 22.09.2007 at 06:50
Lol, I always get rereleases and label it with the original year, what's wrong with that?
----

22.09.2007 - 14:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Depends. Sometimes it is useful to say it's a re-release (because of bonus tracks, different art, remastered.)

Also, it solves the problem of handnumbered/limited copies, could be usefull for a tradelist (mint, scratched) etc.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.09.2007 - 18:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 22.09.2007 at 14:35

Depends. Sometimes it is useful to say it's a re-release (because of bonus tracks, different art, remastered.)

Also, it solves the problem of handnumbered/limited copies, could be usefull for a tradelist (mint, scratched) etc.

I agree also its diferent album cover what I dont like, iprefere old and original
Alos its be good if there are us/japs/eu werse
----

apos;'
[image]
23.09.2007 - 17:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
QUESTION:

how do I print my wishlist in ALPHABETICAL order?

no matter what I try it prints it in chronological order
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2007 - 18:17
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2007 at 17:49

QUESTION:

"Download album collection in CSV (for Excel or OpenOffice) or TXT format (simple list). The output will take into account your current selection and sorting order."

Dunno whether you've considered that, but if you have, just try this link (or this one for the .txt file of your collection). Both work fine for me.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
23.09.2007 - 18:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Promonex on 23.09.2007 at 18:17

QUESTION:

"Download album collection in CSV (for Excel or OpenOffice) or TXT format (simple list). The output will take into account your current selection and sorting order."

Dunno whether you've considered that, but if you have, just try this link (or this one for the .txt file of your collection). Both work fine for me.

I did consider that for the txt version (which IMO looks better than the other one) but it keeps prinitng it in chronological order.

No porblem for my regular list, but it is the WISHLIST whcih I can print Aalphabetically.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2007 - 20:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.09.2007 at 18:20

I did consider that for the txt version (which IMO looks better than the other one) but it keeps prinitng it in chronological order.

No porblem for my regular list, but it is the WISHLIST whcih I can print Aalphabetically.

I had quasten, how offen you lsiten those CD and have you even had hera all of them its so huge man + non featured bands ...
----

apos;'
[image]
23.09.2007 - 21:41
wrathchild

I did consider that for the txt version (which IMO looks better than the other one)

Well, the .csv version is a lot better because it allows you to use the sorting options of OpenOffice or Excel (or whatever software you're using). That's actually the purpose of .csv exportations. That means you can sort your list the way you want.

I haven't tried downloading a wishlist list (mine is empty), but the list of the albums I own does print in alphabetical order by default.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
24.09.2007 - 03:37
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Promonex on 23.09.2007 at 18:17
QUESTION:

Wow no one's said it yet... I believe Ivan has yet to implement any alternative sorting options for the WISHLIST
----

24.09.2007 - 10:53
Ivan
Retired Admin
I simply never expected wishlists to grow to such epic proportions as Marcel's
Now you can sort them as well and export in alphabetical order.
24.09.2007 - 11:27
iaberis
Advice Troll
Is there a way to make the values of each album in Excell to appear in a different column? Because these comas are a bit annoying and I'd prefer to be in the other way.
----
Bitch! Please
24.09.2007 - 11:37
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by iaberis on 24.09.2007 at 11:27

Is there a way to make the values of each album in Excell to appear in a different column? Because these comas are a bit annoying and I'd prefer to be in the other way.

Erm? They SHOULD appear each in a different column, without any commas.
24.09.2007 - 11:46
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Ivan on 24.09.2007 at 11:37

Written by iaberis on 24.09.2007 at 11:27

Erm? They SHOULD appear each in a different column, without any commas.

To me, both with Excell 2007 and the older one, they appear separated with commas. Check this

Is that a problem to my pc?
----
Bitch! Please
24.09.2007 - 11:57
Baz Anderson

works fine for me:

24.09.2007 - 12:02
iaberis
Advice Troll
Hm... I wonder what's happening here then... Any suggestion how I should fix this?
----
Bitch! Please
24.09.2007 - 13:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by iaberis on 24.09.2007 at 12:02

Hm... I wonder what's happening here then... Any suggestion how I should fix this?

Maybe its your mic Exel faulth?
----

apos;'
[image]
25.09.2007 - 10:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ivan on 24.09.2007 at 10:53

I simply never expected wishlists to grow to such epic proportions as Marcel's
Now you can sort them as well and export in alphabetical order.

thanks. Much appreciated
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996