Metal Storm logo
New feature: Album collection and Wishlist

Original post

Posted by Ivan, 13.09.2007 - 20:22
Yes, now you can create your own album collection here on MS! I've been asked many times about this feature, and now it's finally here. Here are some of its possible uses:

- Keep track of your albums and wishlist, sort them by band, year, rating or purchase date
- Keep track of release dates of albums in your wishlist
- See the albums you haven't yet voted for and do it very conveniently right on the Collection page
- Show your collection to other users and see their collections

And coming after we have enough entries:
- We will analyze your favorite bands, album collection, ratings and try to find users with similar tastes and maybe make some suggestions about other bands or albums you might find interesting
- Our own charts will show how many people own an album and which albums are currently 'hot'

We are also open to any suggestions about additional features/uses of Album collection.

You can add albums from your Collection page, as well as using the 3 new buttons under album images:
- I have it! means just that - that you already own the album
- Just got it recently - means that you've acquired this album within the last few days - this will add the album with the purchase date set to current day. Mainly for the charts, but you might also find it useful.
- Add to my wishlist - add the album to your wishlist

Another way to add albums is the albums list. You can filter the albums there in any way you want and then add them one by one using the buttons.

Have fun!
25.09.2007 - 22:50
wrathchild
Staff
Written by iaberis on 24.09.2007 at 12:02

Hm... I wonder what's happening here then... Any suggestion how I should fix this?

There should be an option to specify that commas should be used as separators.
I can't tell you where since I'm using OpenOffice and it's asking me just after the file is loaded.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
25.09.2007 - 23:48
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by wrathchild on 25.09.2007 at 22:50

Written by iaberis on 24.09.2007 at 12:02

Hm... I wonder what's happening here then... Any suggestion how I should fix this?

There should be an option to specify that commas should be used as separators.
I can't tell you where since I'm using OpenOffice and it's asking me just after the file is loaded.

Well, I thought so too, but I didn't find any option for that, although I'm sure there is one...
----
Bitch! Please
26.09.2007 - 10:20
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Just to point out that there is a bug if I go to someone's tradelist and then select a specific Band name in the top-right
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
28.09.2007 - 21:06
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Update:

- Neighbours

The script is really heavy, so Neighbours have to be updated manually - though it's just one click
28.09.2007 - 21:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Nice, but I do have a question. How does it work exactly? I see Marcel is my 'top' neighbour, and he has the number 1016 behind his name. What does this mean? It is not remotely near to Collection, Wishlist, Postnumber or anything I can think of.

I suppose it is some sort of matching rating/scale, but a bit of explanation could help.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.09.2007 - 21:15
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Ivan on 28.09.2007 at 21:06

Update:

- Neighbours

The script is really heavy, so Neighbours have to be updated manually - though it's just one click

it's a good feature, but I think it might need a bit of tweaking - the person number one on mine has no favourite bands in his profile that I have in mine..
no similar favourite bands at all
28.09.2007 - 21:20
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 28.09.2007 at 21:15

it's a good feature, but I think it might need a bit of tweaking - the person number one on mine has no favourite bands in his profile that I have in mine..

But he has a huge amount of the same bands/albums you have in your collection. Of course, I can drop the whole complicated scheme and just take into account favorite bands?
28.09.2007 - 21:22
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Lucas on 28.09.2007 at 21:12

Nice, but I do have a question. How does it work exactly? I see Marcel is my 'top' neighbour, and he has the number 1016 behind his name. What does this mean? It is not remotely near to Collection, Wishlist, Postnumber or anything I can think of.

I suppose it is some sort of matching rating/scale, but a bit of explanation could help.

Hover the mouse over for explanation
28.09.2007 - 21:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Ivan on 28.09.2007 at 21:22

Written by Lucas on 28.09.2007 at 21:12

Hover the mouse over for explanation

Thanks.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.09.2007 - 21:59
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Ivan on 28.09.2007 at 21:20

Written by Baz Anderson on 28.09.2007 at 21:15

But he has a huge amount of the same bands/albums you have in your collection. Of course, I can drop the whole complicated scheme and just take into account favorite bands?

haha, well there's no need to drop the whole thing if you've spent so much time on it - just emphasise the favourite bands in the profiles a bit more, so the people that do have more favourite bands in their profiles have more neighbourly points
29.09.2007 - 04:12
Graveheart
So... how exactly do the similarity numbers add up? So far I figured out you get a hundred for every favorite band, but I lost the pattern from there. Any helpful math wizards around?
29.09.2007 - 10:37
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Written by Graveheart on 29.09.2007 at 04:12

So... how exactly do the similarity numbers add up? So far I figured out you get a hundred for every favorite band, but I lost the pattern from there. Any helpful math wizards around?

OK, here's the exact breakdown:

---
Same album in collection: +1
Same band in collection: +3
Same non-featured band in collection: +5

Same album rating: +2
Album rating is different by 1: +1
Album rating is different by more that 1: -3

Same favorite band: +100
---

I'm still tweaking the numbers trying to find a better combination. It will probably work better after more people have filled their album collections...
29.09.2007 - 12:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
WoW Marcel and Collin are only members whit similar taste like I I mean members what I know here
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.09.2007 - 12:48
Syk
myspace/bonerama
That's the problem with people who don't identify their favourite bands, dammit!

Ivan do you think you could put a filter on so it only shows people last seen up to like 30 or 50 days ago?

I might have just come across a bug where "Update neighbours" doesn't take into account the new point values, but I could be wrong
----

29.09.2007 - 14:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Syk on 29.09.2007 at 12:48

Ivan do you think you could put a filter on so it only shows people last seen up to like 30 or 50 days ago?

Or 500 posts + 100 com pints something because its be easyer
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.09.2007 - 14:47
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Actually my point was so you could befriend and talk with the "neighbours" but I just realized the real purpose, at least on last.fm, is to find new bands you might like... still I don't see how posts or comm points have anything to do with it
----

29.09.2007 - 17:39
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite
Update:

- Album charts (in the main menu)
- You can now see how many people own/want the album on album details page
- You can also see who exactly owns/wants the album on rating details page (click on album rating or the number of owners)
29.09.2007 - 21:26
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Ivan on 29.09.2007 at 17:39

Update:

- You can also see who exactly owns/wants the album on rating details page (click on album rating or the number of owners)

Nice addition, but now, once again, I can see people with unreleased albums in their collection...
Can you put a limitation in that, to add only albums that have been released?
----
Bitch! Please
29.09.2007 - 22:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by iaberis on 29.09.2007 at 21:26

Update:

Nice addition, but now, once again, I can see people with unreleased albums in their collection...

Remember there is sometimes an option of pre-ordering, especially for special edition release. Say Ulver's newest, for example.
----

29.09.2007 - 23:06
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Lucas on 29.09.2007 at 22:44

Remember there is sometimes an option of pre-ordering, especially for special edition release. Say Ulver's newest, for example.

Yeah, but you do not get it in hand till the release date at least...
----
Bitch! Please
29.09.2007 - 23:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by iaberis on 29.09.2007 at 23:06

Written by Lucas on 29.09.2007 at 22:44

Yeah, but you do not get it in hand till the release date at least...

True, but it depends on how you interpret 'aqcuired'. Oh well, I don't really care.
----

29.09.2007 - 23:33
iaberis
Advice Troll
I usually put the "I got it" option, when I get my album in my hands. Not when I order it. When I receive it...
----
Bitch! Please
30.09.2007 - 00:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yes, so do I. I am just saying, some people don't..
----

30.09.2007 - 09:42
Ivan
Retired Admin
Elite

OK, I removed the 'Got it' buttons from the unreleased albums - however, people can still add them manually, there's nothing I can do about it. I can't imagine why anyone would want an album they don't have listed in their collection anyway...
01.10.2007 - 14:38
GT
Coffee!!
Staff

Update:

Actually sometimes you can get it before the official date. I tried that with the latest Wuthering Heights...I found it in a local store 4 days before the official release date!
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
01.10.2007 - 15:02
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by GT on 01.10.2007 at 14:38

Update:

Actually sometimes you can get it before the official date. I tried that with the latest Wuthering Heights...I found it in a local store 4 days before the official release date!

Then as Ivan said, you can add it manually with the date of purchase.
----
Bitch! Please
01.10.2007 - 15:05
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@iaberis: yeah that's always a possibility...well I don't really care. If people want to add non-released albums to their list it's their problem
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
02.10.2007 - 17:23
iaberis
Advice Troll
Indeed
----
Bitch! Please
02.10.2007 - 23:46
selken
Irreligious
about that: Is there a higher rank for a poser? I mean, is there something more poser than that?, However, forget about the posers they should just "leave the hall".
----
03.10.2007 - 07:47
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
Is there a way to browse the CDs that are available in other users tradelists, instead of going to each member's tradelist at a time or each CD page at a time?
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont