Metal Storm logo
New feature: Album collection and Wishlist

Original post

Posted by Ivan, 13.09.2007 - 20:22
Yes, now you can create your own album collection here on MS! I've been asked many times about this feature, and now it's finally here. Here are some of its possible uses:

- Keep track of your albums and wishlist, sort them by band, year, rating or purchase date
- Keep track of release dates of albums in your wishlist
- See the albums you haven't yet voted for and do it very conveniently right on the Collection page
- Show your collection to other users and see their collections

And coming after we have enough entries:
- We will analyze your favorite bands, album collection, ratings and try to find users with similar tastes and maybe make some suggestions about other bands or albums you might find interesting
- Our own charts will show how many people own an album and which albums are currently 'hot'

We are also open to any suggestions about additional features/uses of Album collection.

You can add albums from your Collection page, as well as using the 3 new buttons under album images:
- I have it! means just that - that you already own the album
- Just got it recently - means that you've acquired this album within the last few days - this will add the album with the purchase date set to current day. Mainly for the charts, but you might also find it useful.
- Add to my wishlist - add the album to your wishlist

Another way to add albums is the albums list. You can filter the albums there in any way you want and then add them one by one using the buttons.

Have fun!
18.10.2007 - 05:09
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
What do we do with split albums?
----

Hellcunt Smurf
18.10.2007 - 05:48
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I would suggest listing it under every band that you wish to show on your collection for the neighbour feature to be most effective. With the album title being "Split with _, _" if there is no proper title.

It's a very good question, I can't wait to see what the staff have to say... I'm also not too sure how to list my classical compilations
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
18.10.2007 - 07:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Many split CDs have a different title for each side, so I just treat them like EPs, but I do type "split" kind of like Syk does.
19.10.2007 - 11:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
About my naibours well somehow Marcel H I agree somehow we had simmilar music taste, like whit BloodTears and Cradle of Bodom, but I dont know so well other members but Collin Morning Beloved, Ador Dorath, Ac/Dc , Opeth, MDB, IM ... well yeah
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.01.2008 - 10:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.09.2007 at 21:44

OKay I've decided to tick everything I OWN on original cassette, vinyl, cd, dvd, and the rest I have on cop[ied or downloaded format I add to my wishlist, because all that stuff I want to have as original sometime anyway.

Speaking of which, (a bit off topic) your collection is freakin' massive, it may seem like a dumb question, but how long have you been collecting? A few years ago I pretty much gave away all my CDs (stuff like Greenday and Sublime) and started from scratch pretty much. But yours is of ridiculous quantity, and if your talking about stuff youve been collecting since you were like 14, I give you a kudos for being able to hold onto those albums for such a long time without losing them or having them destroyed.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.01.2008 - 19:13
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2008 at 10:14

OKay I've decided to tick everything I OWN on original cassette, vinyl, cd, dvd, and the rest I have on cop[ied or downloaded format I add to my wishlist, because all that stuff I want to have as original sometime anyway.

Speaking of which, (a bit off topic) your collection is freakin' massive, it may seem like a dumb question, but how long have you been collecting? A few years ago I pretty much gave away all my CDs (stuff like Greenday and Sublime) and started from scratch pretty much. But yours is of ridiculous quantity, and if your talking about stuff youve been collecting since you were like 14, I give you a kudos for being able to hold onto those albums for such a long time without losing them or having them destroyed.

I'd never give my CDs away! Even if war is coming, I rather bury them in the ground (for the future to come and find them again) rather than give them or leave them...
----
Bitch! Please
26.01.2008 - 02:07
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by iaberis on 25.01.2008 at 19:13
Even if war is coming, I rather bury them in the ground (for the future to come and find them again)
Wouldn't it be extremely unlikely for both you to survive the war AND the CDs to remain in a functional state after having the ground bombed? I'm sure if you gave them to someone and you eventually returned, they would be happy to give back to you at least SOME of the collection...
----

26.01.2008 - 02:15
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Syk on 26.01.2008 at 02:07

Even if war is coming, I rather bury them in the ground (for the future to come and find them again)
Wouldn't it be extremely unlikely for both you to survive the war AND the CDs to remain in a functional state after having the ground bombed? I'm sure if you gave them to someone and you eventually returned, they would be happy to give back to you at least SOME of the collection...

Hm, yeah you're right on that....
But I mean, like if somebody was invading and I was forced to leave as a refugee and I couldn't carry my CDs, I'd prefer to bury them, than give them to the enemy... Because there will always be the hope to come back and dig them out...
----
Bitch! Please
26.01.2008 - 09:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser

I'd never give my CDs away! Even if war is coming, I rather bury them in the ground (for the future to come and find them again) rather than give them or leave them...

Like I said, when I gave away my entire collection, it was terrible shit...like Greenday, there was a few exceptions like a few Iron Maiden, Neil Young, Black Halos, Led Zeppelin, Ramones, Black Sabbath, Doors, and Andrew WK (possibly more)(which I kept). So most of what you see there on my collection list is all the stuff Ive acquired since then......a little under 300 in about 4 years isnt too bad.
----
- George Carlin
26.01.2008 - 11:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

I started listening and buying originals in 1979. But I did away with about 500 cd's in all when I was short for cash a couple of years ago.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.02.2008 - 00:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I had an idea that I posted in the Ideas thread, but it seemed to not get anyone addressing it, so this seems like an appropriate place to ask, is there any way we can get album collection quantity added into that stats table on the members page? It may seem trivial but I would like to see who has the biggest collection...
----
- George Carlin
07.02.2008 - 12:06
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Doc G. on 07.02.2008 at 00:07

I had an idea that I posted in the Ideas thread, but it seemed to not get anyone addressing it, so this seems like an appropriate place to ask, is there any way we can get album collection quantity added into that stats table on the members page? It may seem trivial but I would like to see who has the biggest collection...

I don't think it belongs there, and there's simply no space for another column... But my guess is that Marcel has the biggest collection
07.02.2008 - 23:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ivan on 07.02.2008 at 12:06

I don't think it belongs there, and there's simply no space for another column... But my guess is that Marcel has the biggest collection

You saw iy write ?

@Dr. Rock
Also imo Richard has huge collection and Hellish Star and dismaelephony , only Marcel edd ALL Cd what he had, but thay didnt edd non featured bands
Older you are more CD you have
----

apos;'
[image]
07.02.2008 - 23:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 07.02.2008 at 23:12

Written by Ivan on 07.02.2008 at 12:06

You saw iy write ?

@Dr. Rock
Also imo Richard has huge collection and Hellish Star and dismaelephony , only Marcel edd ALL Cd what he had, but thay didnt edd non featured bands
Older you are more CD you have

That is true, I have seen Hellish Star's collection and I guess it is bigger than mine. He just didn't add his collection here.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.02.2008 - 23:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.02.2008 at 23:29

That is true, I have seen Hellish Star's collection and I guess it is bigger than mine. He just didn't add his collection here.

Damn I wanna see it also Venom BM , collection and some other too specely old gone members collection
dont worry I wont reach you like I did whit posts
----

apos;'
[image]
07.02.2008 - 23:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise

All of you just wait till I see I have been around in metal for 30 years.. I have developed the great habit of being albums when I'm bored, lol. And as a teenager, I'm oooooften bored.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.02.2008 - 00:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 07.02.2008 at 23:42

All of you just wait till I see I have been around in metal for 30 years.. I have developed the great habit of being albums when I'm bored, lol. And as a teenager, I'm oooooften bored.

But tham marcel and HS be into metal 30 years to and thay get who knows how much CD :p
But i agree those who start in 70ties, 80ties thay had so many great collcetion

my friend was about 3000 CD, viny and tapes even werry rear once but he is gone to USA and I doubt he will come beck
----

apos;'
[image]
08.02.2008 - 03:39
RockeRoy

maybe it's an idea to add sub-genres to this new feature, i don't know, but on example, if a band is a Doom death band, what genre is it going to be? doom or death?
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
08.02.2008 - 05:15
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by RockeRoy on 08.02.2008 at 03:39
if a band is a Doom death band, what genre is it going to be? doom or death?
Whichever is dominant, duh (no offence) that's why I think "doom[ //]death" and "death[ //]doom" are crappy labels, I would rather use "doomy death" and "[harsh/deathy ]doom" or "doom with harsh vocals". If they're in equal amounts then both should be listed separately.

After a little more thought, "death[ //]doom metal" doesn't seem too bad if you're talking about a doom band with death elements, but "doom death" is a totally crap name.
----

08.02.2008 - 09:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by RockeRoy on 08.02.2008 at 03:39

maybe it's an idea to add sub-genres to this new feature, i don't know, but on example, if a band is a Doom death band, what genre is it going to be? doom or death?

death/doom its doom metals supgenre not death metal
----

apos;'
[image]
08.02.2008 - 19:49
RockeRoy

ok, i just found out that bands get put in both genres like meshuggah is the trash band i listen to and also death! my bad...
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
19.02.2008 - 17:45
addiction

i just wanted to say that this is the best application ever! i love keeping statistics and track of what i have and i do anyway, but this is sooo much better!!!
----
alive in the superunknown
20.02.2008 - 08:49
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by RockeRoy on 08.02.2008 at 19:49

is the trash band

you mean thrash right? Trash? :O
----
Bitch! Please
20.02.2008 - 19:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
He missed a letter, like it matters.
----
21.02.2008 - 07:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Warman on 20.02.2008 at 19:00

He missed a letter, like it matters.

and YES it does matter
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.02.2008 - 23:56
Darkside Momo
Retired
well it doesn't, except of course for this little H which separates garbage from genius
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
24.02.2008 - 18:56
Graveheart

Is there any chance to view one's collection through a double filter? Like if I wanted to view my 2005 albums sorted by rating. It always ignores either the year or the rating and doesn't take both into account at the same time.
25.02.2008 - 09:22
iaberis
Advice Troll
It would be good also, if there was an "update" button, like the recount stats, so albums we have can be linked to newly added bands, that weren't in when we manually added the albums
----
Bitch! Please
02.09.2008 - 00:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Lucas on 07.02.2008 at 23:42

Not to mention our mummys and Daddys pay for our housing, most of our food and occasionally clothing. Thats a pretty big margin of disposable income.
----
- George Carlin
02.09.2008 - 18:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Doc G. on 02.09.2008 at 00:44

Not to mention our mummys and Daddys pay for our housing, most of our food and occasionally clothing. Thats a pretty big margin of disposable income.

Mmm, being single as I am, I think I'll give my parents a call and tell them I am moving back in
I could easily live on the second floor of their house since my parents' sleeping and living quarters are on the groundfloor anyway. Will just have to kick dad out his hobbyroom, and then will transform that into my music room. And that room being my old room when I still lived with them... hahahaha. Get the albums cassettes and cd's I have stored in their attic down there and I will have my own little paradise.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996