Metal Storm logo
Nihilism

14.09.2007 - 10:54
Ellie
Account deleted
I was recently on the American Nihilist Underground Society's website (www.anus.com) because I was trying to get a better idea of what nihilism is. I read the definition the website gave which was very long. The only conclusion that I could come up with was that nihilism is an acceptance of facts and maybe all time consciousness. The author of the definition kept on referring to "thinking in the flesh." To me this meant to make changes in the physical world regardless of what one's thoughts are.

I truly thought that nihilism was just doing nothing, feeling nothing, believing nothing, but to me any concept is a belief and I see nihilism as a concept. This makes me wonder if nihilism can exist. Maybe I am just completely missing the point and not understanding the definition of Nihilism at all (it might have no definition as far as I know) but I would just like to see other people's views on it so I (and others) could have a better understanding. So just discuss as you wish; I'd like to learn.

I checked to see if there was another topic on this and I didn't find anything so I hope this isn't spam Anyways I'm not an avid user but this is something that I am definitely curious about.
14.09.2007 - 12:20
Hyvaarin

There's a whole lot more to ANUS than nihilism, you're gonna get all mixed up in National Romanticism and all sorts of other schools of thought.

Personally, I'm intrigued by nihilism, but I don't think I've read quite enough on it to be able to offer a worthwhile judgement.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
14.09.2007 - 14:48
Eternal Flames

A lot of people that I have come across accept the definition of nihilism as "not believing in anything or having no beliefs" and then they find it contradictory because nihilism itself is a belief. What a lot of people seem to miss is that fact that nihilism is not about not having any beliefs. It's more about the idea that nothing can ever be known and that life itself is meaningless. It suggests that there are no truths in life, there isn't a greater being and that true morality does not exist. A lot of people just seem to draw conclusions that nihilists don't believe in anything, which is too broad of a statement and. in my opinion. an incorrect interpretation.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the concept of nihilism. I feel that I live my life more so by the existentialist concept which is similar to nihilism in the idea of meaninglessness however existentialism works to create it's own meaning in life. I don't want to bring existentialism too much into the picture, but both these concepts (nihilism and existentialism) are misinterpreted frequently.

Nihilism is usually associated with Friedrich Nietzsche hence why I think that it's so often misinterpreted. I presume that with Nietzsche's statement that "God is Dead" in his piece "The Gay Science" is what made a lot of people believe that nihilism rejected all beliefs. Now of course, like most concepts, contradictions in nihilism are evident. I mean, the idea that there is no comprehensible truth in life is self-contradicting as that could be accepted as a truth itself, but I don't want to delve too deep into the issue.
14.09.2007 - 16:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Eternal Flames on 14.09.2007 at 14:48

It's more about the idea that nothing can ever be known and that life tself is meaningless. It suggests that there are truths in life, there isn't a greater being and that true morality does not exist

i didn't know the meaning of "nihilism before", but hey! does that sound fun or what? :
14.09.2007 - 18:57
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Eternal Flames on 14.09.2007 at 14:48

A lot of people that I have come across accept the definition of nihilism as "not believing in anything or having no beliefs" and then they find it contradictory because nihilism itself is a belief. What a lot of people seem to miss is that fact that nihilism is not about not having any beliefs. It's more about the idea that nothing can ever be known and that life itself is meaningless. It suggests that there are no truths in life, there isn't a greater being and that true morality does not exist. A lot of people just seem to draw conclusions that nihilists don't believe in anything, which is too broad of a statement and. in my opinion. an incorrect interpretation.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the concept of nihilism. I feel that I live my life more so by the existentialist concept which is similar to nihilism in the idea of meaninglessness however existentialism works to create it's own meaning in life. I don't want to bring existentialism too much into the picture, but both these concepts (nihilism and existentialism) are misinterpreted frequently.

Nihilism is usually associated with Friedrich Nietzsche hence why I think that it's so often misinterpreted. I presume that with Nietzsche's statement that "God is Dead" in his piece "The Gay Science" is what made a lot of people believe that nihilism rejected all beliefs. Now of course, like most concepts, contradictions in nihilism are evident. I mean, the idea that there is no comprehensible truth in life is self-contradicting as that could be accepted as a truth itself, but I don't want to delve too deep into the issue.

Thanks so much for the insight. =)
15.09.2007 - 02:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Personally, I don't know much about Nihilism, but what I do know, is basically what eternal flames already said. That you believe that there is no meaning to life, and that all senses of morality is an illusion. Personally, I find this outlook too pesimistic and quite frankly, annoying, for me to follow. But hey, to each their own.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
15.09.2007 - 06:05
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 15.09.2007 at 02:01

Personally, I don't know much about Nihilism, but what I do know, is basically what eternal flames already said. That you believe that there is no meaning to life, and that all senses of morality is an illusion. Personally, I find this outlook too pesimistic and quite frankly, annoying, for me to follow. But hey, to each their own.

I concur. A nihilist is an individual who has repeatedly attempted to find meaning in their life to no avail. Nihilism is the product of frustration over repeatedly failing to find meaning in your life. As for me, I am an "optimistic existentialist". I believe that God is dead, but seeing that this is not the end, I continue living life and achieving my goals.
15.09.2007 - 10:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast

yeah i agree too, it's just so damn boring to think to yourself "there is no meaning in life"... what are you gonna do?? kill yourself?
15.09.2007 - 17:33
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I wonder, are there any real Nihilists on this site?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

15.09.2007 - 19:59
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 15.09.2007 at 17:33

Probably..but they probably never come on. I heard once that the majority of Nihilists are metalheads..but I bet that was a lie.
16.09.2007 - 00:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast

i believe so, but since they're always busy getting bored they surely won't visit this thread
16.09.2007 - 00:13
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Valentin B on 16.09.2007 at 00:08

i believe so, but since they're always busy getting bored they surely won't visit this thread

lol
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

18.09.2007 - 07:06
selken
Irreligious

Well, read my profile, the "soft" is because I think like this:
""Life makes no sense, everyone has to make sanse of their life, you give the sense of your life, since I'm atheist, I think that nobody has a goal, we are free to do whatever what we want, but sometimes what we do has a positive or negative effect in us, maybe you care, maybe you don't"
----
20.09.2007 - 02:02
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by selken on 18.09.2007 at 07:06

""Life makes no sense, everyone has to make sanse of their life, you give the sense of your life, since I'm atheist, I think that nobody has a goal, we are free to do whatever what we want, but sometimes what we do has a positive or negative effect in us, maybe you care, maybe you don't"

Okay, so how does this have anything to do with Nihilism?
I mean, your quote is real cool and all, but I fail to see how this links back to the topic, maybe I am just missing your point, but if you could please elaborate that would be helpful.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.09.2007 - 02:29
selken
Irreligious
Written by Arian Totalis on 20.09.2007 at 02:02

Written by selken on 18.09.2007 at 07:06

Okay, so how does this have anything to do with Nihilism?
I mean, your quote is real cool and all, but I fail to see how this links back to the topic, maybe I am just missing your point, but if you could please elaborate that would be helpful.

Of course, I will:
- Nihilism states that one doesn't belive in anything, I don't believe in anything
- States that any existence, human, non-human, past, present and future is worthless, I think something like that, of course some beings are quite interesting, but nobody is indispensable
- Also states that existence is so little and meaningless, that theres no reason to care about, I partly dissagree with this one, one's existence is important for you and a few more but no more.
----
20.09.2007 - 02:35
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
okie dokie I see now
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.09.2007 - 02:47
Hyvaarin

Written by Guest on 15.09.2007 at 06:05

I concur. A nihilist is an individual who has repeatedly attempted to find meaning in their life to no avail. Nihilism is the product of frustration over repeatedly failing to find meaning in your life.

I don't suppose you've considered that maybe they've succeeded in finding that there's no meaning to life...
----
20.09.2007 - 05:27
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 20.09.2007 at 02:47

Written by Guest on 15.09.2007 at 06:05

I concur. A nihilist is an individual who has repeatedly attempted to find meaning in their life to no avail. Nihilism is the product of frustration over repeatedly failing to find meaning in your life.

I don't suppose you've considered that maybe they've succeeded in finding that there's no meaning to life...

You might say that.
20.09.2007 - 10:37
Hyvaarin

I did, because it's true.
----
20.09.2007 - 22:16
Pinusar
Account deleted
I haven't researched the subject enough yet to make a statement about it, but I have heard that there are actually quite few "complete" nihilists, or people who would describe themselves as completely nihilistic. Most still have some passions about something, even if these are not very strong, so they are a bit tied to this life. Of course it's just what I heard so it is not a fact. But it might be true.
21.09.2007 - 04:26
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Hyvaarin on 20.09.2007 at 10:37

OK, fine. It is also true that I am a lonely and miserable virgin and that I masturbate to Lindsay Lohan.
21.09.2007 - 04:42
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Even if that is the truth, you still find solice in the spirit of metal right? and hey, you'll find someone eventually dude, just be patient, every dog has his day.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

23.09.2007 - 15:11
Remus

Written by Guest on 21.09.2007 at 04:26

I masturbate to Lindsay Lohan.

Hmmm... you wouldn't happen to have an account on "tombofthemutilated.net", would you?

As for the nihilism, well from what insight i've gained by reading this thread i'd say it's quite poopy to be a nihilist as there is nothing to look forward to.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
24.09.2007 - 19:49
Damnated
Churchburner
i am a nihilist. and it's not all so sad as you guys say it is. on the contrary. it's deliberating to free your self from a belief system and morals.
also, the thing that nihilism is about non believing is stupid. you simply can't not believe. i believe in the non existence of god, in myself, in the death of morals, in individualism etcetera.
yes, i think that humanity has no purpose, but that doesn't mean that i wonder aimlessly on the streets..
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.09.2007 - 07:44
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
Well... Yeah, I still do read a lot of material on ANUS, finding it quite insightful. It's just that I used to consider myself a nihilist but I don't anymore.

You hear of a lot of coffeeshop intellectuals proclaiming themselves to be nihilists and making sure that everyone within earshot hears them say so. Nihilism is not a naive beliefs system, but a lot of nihilists are. The number of true nihilists in this world are few and far between.

I say nihilists are naive because true nihilism is unattainable for most people. It seems to be more of a claim for most people, even those with the purest intents.
Somehow I believe that a lot of true nihilists aren't even aware that they are one.

About ANUS. These guys have some great ideas about a lot of things, but they incorporate so much more than just nihilism in their ideas, which I attribute to either clever deception or just a healthy evolution of ideas.
29.09.2007 - 12:55
Zombie, M.D.

Proclaiming ones nihilism always seemed a little self defeating to me...
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
29.09.2007 - 13:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Damnated on 24.09.2007 at 19:49

you simply can't not believe.

Hey, this is one interesting thing to say.

And about Nihilism.. well. I hardly know anything about it, but I plan on reading Nietzsche one day.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.01.2008 - 08:47
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I argued against nihilism with a nihilist friend of mine, but it was a fruitless discussion and a wastage of my energy because he escaped these questions of mine each time I asked him:
1. if you believe that from nihil arises this infinite worldly illusion, and to nihil it will return, then you contradict yourself; the 'nihil' of your concept gave rise to an illusion i.e. something... if it gave rise to something, it cannot be 'nihil'... i.e. even an illusion needs a basis and illusion cannot arise out of nothing.. so how can nihil give rise to illusion or how can nothing give something?
2.what about the consciousness?
----
that which shines without names and forms...
24.01.2008 - 10:21
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.09.2007 at 04:26

Written by Hyvaarin on 20.09.2007 at 10:37

OK, fine. It is also true that I am a lonely and miserable virgin and that I masturbate to Lindsay Lohan.

I know I shouldn't derail this thread any further than you have, but you might as well say "plastic" instead of any young female celebrity

I guess I'm semi-nihilistic, not enough to actually say I am a nihlist, but share a couple of its core beliefs.
25.01.2008 - 09:45
Harmonic
Account deleted
To accept nihilism is to deny it. To deny nihilism is to accept it. A true nihilist should live in genuine denial of his own nihilism. Nihilism must consume even itself. To legitimize it in any way is pure hypocrisy.

If meaning is meaningless, then meaninglessness has no meaning. Beautiful.