Metal Storm logo
Astrology influences music tastes?

Original post

Posted by MadGatsu, 14.09.2007 - 19:19
OK guys. This topic might sound ridiculous, but today i started thinking. What if my personality influenced my music tastes (in this case, metal, punk, hard rock)? And everyone knows, (even though i dont really buy all the astrological crap) people born in certain months tend to have similar personalities, and they change along the year. Im gemini, and i have kind of a hard personality. A bit rebellious. So maybe thats why i started liking metal? (one of the reasons). This topic is just a statistical thing, just as curiosity.

Feel free to delete it if moderators find it completely unnecessary. Cheers

PS: Im sorry but the poll only had 9 options i could write, and there are 12 horoscope signs in total. Everyone who is NOT from one of the ones available, please vote in "Other" and write down a post telling whats yours. Thanks! ;P

Poll

What is your horoscope sign?

Other (Post it please)
Gemini
Leo
Virgo
Scorpio
Aries
Cancer
Libra
Taurus

Total votes: 115
11.12.2009 - 02:25
Richard

Written by Darkside Momo on 11.12.2009 at 02:09

Written by Richard on 10.12.2009 at 01:42

Yes, it all sounds very Metal! We win.

Blah blah blah

Pisces may not sound that metal, with all their emotions, sensibility and stuff, but they win ALL THE WAY, I tell you! Steve Harris, Jaz Coleman, Warrel Dane, John Shaffer... Stop it! But yeah, I share my birthday with Timo Kotipelto... : and our almighty destroyah

Funny side note, I even have a song about my birthday... It's 'The Ides Of March' by Iron Maiden (who else). The Ides (mid-month) of march is the day Julius Caesar was murdered. That's pretty metal too, finally

OK, you certainly get credibility points for the Steve Harris/Iron Maiden connection!

The best I can offer is that the guy who played Murdoch in The A Team was born on the 24th November. Not QUITE as Metal as Steve Harris, but anyway..!
----
11.12.2009 - 02:33
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Richard on 11.12.2009 at 02:05

Written by Ragana on 11.12.2009 at 01:49

Of course, why not?

Simply, I've born on the day when these horoscope signs change. I've seen different variations of the time when Leo is replacing Cancer - 22nd of July, 23rd of July, 24th of July. So, since I've born on 23rd of July, I certainly don't have all qualities a typical Leo has but I have some of Cancer's. So... I'm constantly being in contradiction to myself. Sometimes I feel completely fake because I always look at things from two different sides and, once I have explained only one of them, I don't have the chance to say that I can understand the other side too. Then the person I'm talking with thinks I'm thinking like that and he/she is free to start a fight with me because of my point of view or agrees to it so much that I kinda feel stupid because I don't fully agree with it.

I'm not even sure this thing I wrote is even readable or understandable, haha.

So you were born 'on the cusp', so to speak? It's interesting that you identify with both signs in certain ways, and yes, it was understandable.

Ultimately, I think the whole star sign thing is just a bit of fun anyway and not to be taken literally. (Although people who are Sagittarius genuinely are uber Metal, of course! )

If I knew the word 'cusp' I surely would have said like that.

Well, I think it (so called 'star thing') is very interesting. Some things really fit to me. Also, my best friends always have been those who were Aries or Sagittarius - it's mostly said that these three (Leo, Aries, Sagittarius) are the most compatible signs ad get well with each other. However, I don't read or believe in daily or weekly horoscopes, they're full of funny rubbish. As I said to my friend today - in some magazines monthly horoscopes end with something like this: "If you don't have a boyfriend, this month you'll definitely meet him! Just wear *something exact* and go to *some place* - there you'll meet him." And you can read this phrase every month - this, the next one, the one after that and so on... Seems like I'm having great opportunities!

P.S. I share my birthday with Slash. Too bad I'm not really a fan of him.
11.12.2009 - 02:39
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Ragana on 11.12.2009 at 02:33

Well, I think it (so called 'star thing') is very interesting. Some things really fit to me. Also, my best friends always have been those who were Aries or Sagittarius - it's mostly said that these three (Leo, Aries, Sagittarius) are the most compatible signs ad get well with each other. However, I don't read or believe in daily or weekly horoscopes, they're full of funny rubbish. As I said to my friend today - in some magazines monthly horoscopes end with something like this: "If you don't have a boyfriend, this month you'll definitely meet him! Just wear *something exact* and go to *some place* - there you'll meet him." And you can read this phrase every month - this, the next one, the one after that and so on... Seems like I'm having great opportunities!

Well, I think along the same lines. While I don't believe in astrology as 'your future is written in the stars' ( ) I do think the 'character guide' it offers comes true WAY too often to be mere coincidence. As a Pisces (element: water) I sure have an easier time befriending and understanding other water signs (Cancer and Scorpio).

Ah ah. I guess we water signs might be pretty difficult to deal with for non-water people, with our sometimes extreme emotional reactions...

Written by Richard on 11.12.2009 at 02:25

OK, you certainly get credibility points for the Steve Harris/Iron Maiden connection!

The best I can offer is that the guy who played Murdoch in The A Team was born on the 24th November. Not QUITE as Metal as Steve Harris, but anyway..!

So I'll just say that Ozzy (The Ozzy) and Marty Friedman are Sagitarrius...

Seriously, I'll check more thoroughly one day but it seems that metalheads and metal musicians come equally from all the zodiac, except maybe Libra (apart from Al Jourgensen, I don't know many Libra metal musicians.. )
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
11.12.2009 - 03:00
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Darkside Momo on 11.12.2009 at 02:39

Ah ah. I guess we water signs might be pretty difficult to deal with for non-water people, with our sometimes extreme emotional reactions...

...or maybe no emotions at all. I'm talking about Pisces. I have friends who have born in this sign and they're great people but when it comes to arguing... they drive me crazy. I mean, if I think I'm cold and sometimes very harsh or emotionless then I guess I just have to fight with some Pisces to prove myself that I'm wrong, haha.
Nothing personal, of course. XD

I, however, have had the most heaviest (if I could say so) fights with my own element signs - Aries and Sagittarius. What a coincidence, my whole family consists of fire signs and we're arguing A LOT. But, we also forget very quickly (okay, not really forget, but after some time of thinking how stupidly this person has acted we're all fine, hehe).
11.12.2009 - 03:04
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Ragana on 11.12.2009 at 03:00

Written by Darkside Momo on 11.12.2009 at 02:39

...or maybe no emotions at all. I'm talking about Pisces. I have friends who have born in this sign and they're great people but when it comes to arguing... they drive me crazy. I mean, if I think I'm cold and sometimes very harsh or emotionless then I guess I just have to fight with some Pisces to prove myself that I'm wrong, haha.
Nothing personal, of course. XD

I, however, have had the most heaviest (if I could say so) fights with my own element signs - Aries and Sagittarius. What a coincidence, my whole family consists of fire signs and we're arguing A LOT. But, we also forget very quickly (okay, not really forget, but after some time of thinking how stupidly this person has acted we're all fine, hehe).

extreme emotional reactions might include 'no emotions' but that's often a kind of defense.
As for fights... Fire is associated with pride, right? And fire burns quickly and extinguishes quickly too? That's pretty much about it
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
11.12.2009 - 15:26
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Darkside Momo on 11.12.2009 at 03:04

As for fights... Fire is associated with pride, right? And fire burns quickly and extinguishes quickly too? That's pretty much about it

Yep, exactly. Although, it's not always like that. Depends on the intensity/importance of the fight.
12.12.2009 - 12:01
MadGatsu

Im quite shocked with the "knowledge" all the GUYS that have been discussing this topic for the last few days have XD
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
20.11.2011 - 03:15
second_coming89
Account deleted
Yeah, I observe astrology. But for it to make perfect sense, you have to observe the Chinese as well as the Western.

I am an Aquarius. Which is the perfect sign for metal....and punk too bcuz Aquarians are individualists/"oddballs" with constantly active minds. All the air signs (Aquarius, Gemini, Libra) are the deepest thinkers of all.....Metal and Punk (for the most part) stimulate the mind, unlike Hip Hop and Electro-Pop which stimulate the body.

Also as a metal listener, while some people don't care, I'm mad for all things unique!
20.11.2011 - 03:40
JD
Account deleted
Only four votes for Virgo?

For shame.
20.11.2011 - 03:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I am le twin! Not that I really believe in this crap anyway.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.11.2011 - 04:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.11.2011 at 03:44
I am le twin!

Why are you using memes? stop trolling, stupid. Don't make this thread into a shithouse wall
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.11.2011 - 12:11
vezzy
Stallmanite
Here's a fucking awesome article on astrology.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
20.11.2011 - 12:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I don't believe in astrology, because that would have to mean everyone sharing my star sign (Sagittarius) would have the same personality as me, and share the same music tastes, which is of course nonsense. lol
20.11.2011 - 15:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by vezzy on 20.11.2011 at 12:11

Here's a fucking awesome article on astrology.

I got a new favorite link, thanks.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.11.2011 - 15:14
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.11.2011 at 15:06
I got a new favorite link, thanks.

The entire wiki is damn awesome, really. I even opened a few articles there myself. It basically debunks all sorts of creationist, wingnut, pseudoscientific in general bullshit in a comic manner.

Great way to waste an entire weekend.
----
20.11.2011 - 15:17
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.11.2011 at 12:44

I don't believe in astrology, because that would have to mean everyone sharing my star sign (Sagittarius) would have the same personality as me, and share the same music tastes, which is of course nonsense. lol

I don't believe in astrology either BUT what you & people who use the same argument are missing that every singn of a zodiac has a different position in every.... microsecond. Or even less. What astrology stands for is not that you are dfined by one sign only (the Sun sign), but a position of all the sings in all the different poistions/houses/planets.... Bla bla. So therefore, evry single person has its unique positions and it ''defined'' by that combination, so consequently, every person born in sign X differs from other people born in that sign, because they not sahre the identical natal card (I am using ''defined'' because I don't believe we are defined by it).

As I said, I don't believe in astrology either, but I know atrology as a pseudoscience (that is to be believed by the astrologers) to know it's not all as one-dimensional as we, who don't believe it it, think it is.

As for the orignal questions goes:

----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
20.11.2011 - 22:30
theFIST

If astrology had an influence, so would buses driving by your house. their gravitational pull is far stronger than that of the planets and stars used for astrology
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
20.11.2011 - 23:30
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by theFIST on 20.11.2011 at 22:30

If astrology had an influence, so would buses driving by your house.

I certainly wouldn't want to get hit by one.
----
20.11.2011 - 23:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 20.11.2011 at 23:30
I certainly wouldn't want to get hit by one.

An astrologist?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.11.2011 - 00:38
JD
Account deleted
A car?
21.11.2011 - 20:09
Ernis
狼獾
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.11.2011 at 04:47

Why are you using memes? stop trolling, stupid. Don't make this thread into a shithouse wall

You know it's not a good thing to provoke me, right? When did I provoke you? So just don't start, ok?

Written by AnGina-- on 20.11.2011 at 15:17

I don't believe in astrology either BUT what you & people who use the same argument are missing that every singn of a zodiac has a different position in every.... microsecond. Or even less. What astrology stands for is not that you are dfined by one sign only (the Sun sign), but a position of all the sings in all the different poistions/houses/planets.... Bla bla. So therefore, evry single person has its unique positions and it ''defined'' by that combination, so consequently, every person born in sign X differs from other people born in that sign, because they not sahre the identical natal card (I am using ''defined'' because I don't believe we are defined by it).

As I said, I don't believe in astrology either, but I know atrology as a pseudoscience (that is to be believed by the astrologers) to know it's not all as one-dimensional as we, who don't believe it it, think it is.

Yes, I've heard bout it. The truth is, professionally and thoroughly calculated and personalised "natal charts" can be eerily accurate. The thing most of us see and hear about astrology are the "zodiac sections" of tabloids and gossip magazines which are basically a collection of random bullshit such as "Aries: great day for love. Mayb you get laid but mayb not. Either way, party hard./Libra: High probability of meeting new people (yeah, on the street for example). You will probably eat something today and mayb you will even go to the toilet." Not to mention the various handbooks for housewives in the vein of "Star sign diet. Use the force of the planets and stars to help you drop those excess kilos. Since today Gemini are in the 9th house, it's best not to eat any pastry today etc"

The so-called "real deal" is indeed much more complex but also how ethical is it? People who otherwise do not believe nor follow the generic "zodiac" fad of the housewives have said that the professionally compiled astrological data can actually be a serious thing and in fact, better left untouched because they can have ill consequences. Just like the Indian teachings of the energy flows inside human body, Chinese acupuncture etc. A Chinese martial artist I once spoke to, said that there have been cases of people indulging in some seemingly innocent "new age" activities without being careful and ending up suffering from severe medical conditions that could not be treated by conventional medicine but only by a few Chinese "masters". Plus there do exist techniques where a Chinese traditional doctor can treat a problem by just touching the person. As do techniques of silently dispatching a person by just touching the right spots in the right mode and sequence on his body.
21.11.2011 - 21:30
vezzy
Stallmanite
Concerning the New Age, I tried practicing breatharianism once.

Let's say it didn't go well.
----
21.11.2011 - 21:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 21.11.2011 at 21:30
Concerning the New Age, I tried practicing breatharianism once.

Since I'm too lazy to Google it myself, and for the benefit of others, what exactly is breatharianism?

I'm assuming it's a joke, but even then I don't entirely understand it.
----
21.11.2011 - 21:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.11.2011 at 21:32

Since I'm too lazy to Google it myself, and for the benefit of others, what exactly is breatharianism?

I'm assuming it's a joke, but even then I don't entirely understand it.

Breatharianism is a ludicrous New Age concept which states that one can live off of nothing but air.
----
21.11.2011 - 21:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by vezzy on 21.11.2011 at 21:34
Breatharianism is a ludicrous New Age concept which states that one can live off of nothing but air.

That's ridiculous. No food, water, sleep, nothing but air. ... Who the hell invented that?
----
21.11.2011 - 21:44
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.11.2011 at 21:37

That's ridiculous. No food, water, sleep, nothing but air. ... Who the hell invented that?

Actually I think you can sleep.

But yeah, no food. People claim you're supposed to practice it years, and initially you can eat a little (and I mean little) food and drink a glass of water a day, but you mainly feast on solar energy.
----
21.11.2011 - 21:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Sounds like how to be The Machinist: The Scenic Route.

----
21.11.2011 - 21:53
vezzy
Stallmanite
There's a much worse fate than that.

If you follow Alex Jones' advice on home pharmaceuticals and avoiding getting poisoned by health care, a daily intake of colloidal silver is recommended.

Side effects:

But hey, it's worth it, right? No more paying health bills!
----
26.11.2011 - 18:00
ANGEL REAPER

Astrology influences music tastes? What kind of wankery is that???
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
26.11.2011 - 18:33
JD
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.11.2011 at 21:46

Sounds like how to be The Machinist: The Scenic Route.

*skinny batman*

The picture is it real?

Never watched the movie.