Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest more influential?

Poll

Which band do u think has been more influential 4 metal scene??

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Can't decide

Total votes: 457
01.06.2006 - 00:14
Dam3k

Well there are two of the most importants bands of all time in the metal scene, but which one do u think is more influential? Give reasons and explain. I think Judas Priest has been more influential in the US metal than in the european one, on the other hand I've been noticed about lot of european bands with influence of Iron Maiden, so I can't decide =). Well... maybe this two bands haven't been very influential for death metal or black metal bands but IMO they've been in thrash, power, progressive and heavy even hard rock. Choose one!!
----

01.06.2006 - 00:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Man in begining there ws blues who influenced bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath(Earth in that time)
Then was bands like Rainbow, Deep Purple and after them was Judas Pruies, Iron Maiden and remeber in 70ties play Witchfinder General, St. Vitus and many many bands, but those bands are good influenced to new bands, I thuink 60% Iron maiden, 40% Judas Priest
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.06.2006 - 00:22
Dam3k

Written by Bad English on 01.06.2006 at 00:20

Man in begining there ws blues who influenced bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath(Earth in that time)
Then was bands like Rainbow, Deep Purple and after them was Judas Pruies, Iron Maiden and remeber in 70ties play Witchfinder General, St. Vitus and many many bands, but those bands are good influenced to new bands, I thuink 60% Iron maiden, 40% Judas Priest

Ye ye, for sure man!! but I meant not the creators... not always the creators are the most influential that bands you quotated were the first who developed the genre but after that...(excepting Black Sabbath) they weren't that influential, that's why I chosed this two bands, who IMO are the metal GODS =)
----

01.06.2006 - 00:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dam3k on 01.06.2006 at 00:22

Ye ye, for sure man!! but I meant not the creators... not always the creators are the most influential that bands you quotated were the first who developed the genre but after that...(excepting Black Sabbath) they weren't that influential, that's why I chosed this two bands, who IMO are the metal GODS =)

Man in 80ties metal those bands was influenced all what I mention for young thrash/speed bands also death metal bandsonly dunnnow hy in nowdays thay are forgoten and left JP and IM, but man if we talking about metal gods where are Motorhead?
----

apos;'
[image]
01.06.2006 - 00:34
Dam3k

Written by Bad English on 01.06.2006 at 00:29

Written by Dam3k on 01.06.2006 at 00:22

Man in 80ties metal those bands was influenced all what I mention for young thrash/speed bands also death metal bands only dunnno why in nowdays thay are forgoten and left JP and IM, but man if we talking about metal gods where are Motorhead?

Motörhead?? Do u think is that representative?? Maybe is more for thrash metal and hard rock than for heavy metal no??What do u think?
----

01.06.2006 - 00:35
Trifixion
Account deleted
Well overall, especially back in the 80's, I think Judas Priest. Before Maiden was around Priest was already throwing hits left and right and really making a name for metal in general, and inspired a hell of alot from there...until Maiden picked it up but I'm not quite sure how Maiden would have sounded without Judas Priest, who knows. Sure they did their own thing but would they have made it without Priest opening up the metal scene like they did? Maybe not...however, since then I think Maiden influenced alot more. So it depends on the time period I think.

To put it simply, I think Priest influenced the older metal scene more but Maiden influenced alot more all together...
01.06.2006 - 01:55
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Maiden of course.... Judas Priest influenced more Hard Rock bands than metal bands (nothing against) and they basically created the "metal uniform", thight leather paints with lots steeeeeeeeeeeel!
----
01.06.2006 - 02:13
Daru Jericho

I say Maiden. Yes, Priest were very influential but Maiden's influence is far greater. I would say there are more bands that copy Iron Maiden's style than Priests'. And, as a side note, I know this poll is about the most influential in metal but Maiden have influenced bands in the rock genre as well.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

01.06.2006 - 03:27
Stigmatized
Both bands influence cannot be denied, but I think Maiden influence has become the longer lasting. Whenever you hear what a band's influences are....Iron Maiden usually comes in before Judas Priest.
01.06.2006 - 03:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Dam3k Motorhead can be tachers foe pank bands, early speed bands, thrash metal bands and maybe lil bit death
BTW haw you hear Abbatour song "Ace Of Spades" what is Motorhead cover
----

apos;'
[image]
01.06.2006 - 13:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
Both are very infuental but Judas Priest aint that no more, still today Iron Maiden keeps continuing to influence a lot of new bands.
----
02.06.2006 - 00:53
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm i think both bands are great influence for many other groups and they are still influencing new ones...maybe maiden has been a little more influent that judas but only for a bit, it's hard to say who has been the most influent...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
02.06.2006 - 10:38
Silhouette

Sure, Judas Priest is a big influence to a lot of bands, but Iron Maiden is THE band, those guys ought to be the most well-known metal band ever, and thus also a bigger source of influences for many.
02.06.2006 - 18:39
Baz Anderson

wow. i cant believe me and one other person has voted for Judas Priest

Judas Priest was around before Iron Maiden, and when 'Maiden did come along - they were influenced by Judas Priest - 'Priest accused them of copying them and all the rest of it
okay - Iron Maiden are influencial, probably more influencial to a wide range of genrés - but Judas Priest are far far more influencial to traditional heavy metal bands and power metal bands

Devin Townsend mentions Judas Priest on the Strapping Young Lad 'No Sleep 'Til Bedtime' album
and even Slayer have done a cover of Judas Priest's 'Dissident Aggressor'

look at Kai Hansen - he loves Judas Priest so you can definatly hear their influence in Gamma Ray
and also Primal Fear are obviously heavily influenced by them

maybe Iron Maiden are influencial - but i think Judas Priest had a bigger influence on the heavy metal and power metal bands
03.06.2006 - 03:28
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Iron Maiden for sure were mor infulenctial, way more people listened to them that are in bands now, and tried to follow them, and write heavy stuff, Iron Maiden hands down were the more Influential band in between these two bands.
03.06.2006 - 18:45
Daibh
Account deleted
I shant ramble on at the fear of repeating something which has already been said by another user; but Iron Maiden in my opinion, are far more influencial than Judas Priest.

Both bands, ofcourse, have had a profound effect on the course of music; in light of which, I cannot claim that my opinion has any factual basis. --The way I see it, Iron Maiden have had many bands follow them, imitating their sound and course, far more than Judas Priet have. The technique of the formers guitar and bass players has not only been copied, but advanced upon by many young and upcoming bands from then, and now. Rhythmically, both the drums and vocal sections (not to mention the occasional orchestral style melodies) have been much incorporated within Power Metal; the themes of which, meaning many of todays bands, such as Kamelot or Sonata Arctica, might not exist in the same way that they do.
03.06.2006 - 18:50
Demonizer

Let's see...Judas Priest used high pitched vocals, was the first heavy rock band that had 2 lead guitar player (they invented dual leads!!), had heavy double kick drums...they were way more inflential than Maiden!!maiden is just more know and popular then Priest...that's how I figure it

btw the entire Maiden songwriting style was based on Judas Priest's Stained Class song...think about it..
03.06.2006 - 19:10
Baz Anderson

exactly - i think is a shame in some respects Iron Maiden are much more popular then Judas Priest, when i personally prefer Judas Priest - and they did have a big influence on Iron Maiden..
03.06.2006 - 20:22
Demonizer

btw priest also had a huge influence on the image of metal bands: leather and studs!!Iron Maiden copied that image in their early days!!So again priest had an influence on them!
08.06.2006 - 23:33
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
I like Iron Maiden better, they have better songs in my opinion , and a lot of people should agree on that one, so therefore I think maiden had the biggest influence. Judas priest may have influenced iron maiden , but that doesn't mean judas priest influenced the entire metal scene, I think Iron Maiden did.
09.06.2006 - 18:39
Coté

I just started to listening to Judast Priest, so I can't tell much about it, but considering that I've listened more time to Iron Maiden, I choose them.
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
11.06.2006 - 03:23
Baz Anderson

belgianmetalman: but liking the band more doesnt make them more influencial..

TragicPrincess: well all had to start some time. haha - being honest, i knew and liked Iron Maiden before Judas Priest as they are more commercial now - but Judas Priest are probably my second favorite band of all time now
give them time and you might go the same way too
11.06.2006 - 17:35
Dam3k

@ Baz Anderson: This is not about the band you like most, this is about the one you think is more influential for the metal scene, the fact that Judas Priest be your second favourite band should not influence your opinion! I mean, you can like more Judas Priest but you may think Iron Maiden is more influential anyway... I prefer Iron Maiden but I voted "Can't decide" cuz I cannot!!! For me them are equally influential...
----

11.06.2006 - 18:09
Demonizer

that's what's wrong with this thread! most people voted for Iron Maiden because it's their favorite band or they have listened more often to it,...but that's not the point at all!! it's about who was most influential!

@Dam3k: like Baz Anderson said, Priest is his second fav band, but that's (probably)not (entirely) why he voted for Priest!! he gave his explenation for that some posts earlier (as did I) and most people only voted for Maiden because it's their fav band without giving an explenation at all about the band being more influential!
11.06.2006 - 23:33
DIE_by_my_HAND

I think they are equally influential because of course everyone has heard of Maiden and they may be more popular and they perfected the galloping riffs, but Judas Priest layed down the style of metal as we know it with their innovative heavy style and high pitched vocals from Halford- not saying that Dickenson's vocals are not high pitched as well, but Halford's are higher and came first.
----
And music: well it's just entertainment folks!!
-Devin Townsend
12.06.2006 - 18:48
Iron_Metalfan
Account deleted
My pick is deffinately Iron maiden, See the one thing about judas priest is that for every two good songs they have, theres one bad one Example:
For Painkller and bloodstone their is Hot Rockin
For you got another thing comin and screaming for vengeance their is Turbo lover and Im not even gonna mention take on the world, evening star or love bites. While I give them credit for trying different types of metal styles and songs ( Painkiller and evening star you could have swore were from different bands ) You just cant compete with the fact that maiden put out some of the best metal from 1980-1990 ( thats not including thrash )
Not missing a beat with one album, unlike Priest who went from heavy metal to almost hair metal like stuff ( listen to parental guidance and private property as example ) And would we really have bands like Edguy and sonata arctica today without iron maiden???

Wow my fingers are sore
13.06.2006 - 10:05
Hyvaarin

Written by Guest on 12.06.2006 at 18:48

For you got another thing comin and screaming for vengeance their is Turbo lover...

Turbo Lover rules!

I'm pretty torn on this. I suppose one of the biggest ways in which Priest/Maiden have influenced other bands is through guitar harmonies (or, as I amusingly call them, 'guitarmonies'). Priest used them first (in metal, at least), but I think Maiden made them truly popular. So, in my opinion, it comes down to how you'd define 'influence' - inventing the style/technique and making it popular (Priest), or simply making it REALLY popular (Maiden).
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
13.06.2006 - 20:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
it's tough but i think priest is the more influntial.they've existed since '69,and back in the 70s they and sabbath were just about the only bands in the scene.sure their 70s stuff is just rock,but since "unleashed in the east" they've been pure metal.maybe the only band that played metal in th late 70-early 80s period like heavy metal is percieved nowadays
13.06.2006 - 22:46
Dam3k

Written by Valentin B on 13.06.2006 at 20:21

it's tough but i think priest is the more influntial.they've existed since '69,and back in the 70s they and sabbath were just about the only bands in the scene.sure their 70s stuff is just rock,but since "unleashed in the east" they've been pure metal.maybe the only band that played metal in th late 70-early 80s period like heavy metal is percieved nowadays

maybe the only band that played metal in th late 70-early 80s period like heavy metal is percieved nowadays
^^
That's truly true ...
----

16.06.2006 - 04:35
Logo666
Account deleted