11. Remorse Is For The Dead
12. Another Nail For Your Coffin [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [First pressing bonus: Pure American Metal]
01. Bloodletting
02. The Subtle Arts Of Murder And Persuasion
03. 11th Hour
04. Black Label [live]
05. Laid To Rest [demo]

I am really glad I didn't review this album one week ago, because I would have said something like 'this album is a terrible disappointment, it has nothing special, everything that made As The Palaces Burn so great has vanished...'. It is not my opinion anymore. Actually the mistake I was about to make would have been to not give more time to this new release. Fact is that Ashes Of The Wake, just like As The Palaces Burn last year, is a grower. You may not find it great or something at first, but you keep coming back to it until you realize that yes, indeed, it's an ass-kicker.

I still keep my opinion though. Ashes Of The Wake is not as good as the previous album. What I mean by that is that all songs out of this album are equally great, but except maybe the opener 'Laid To Rest', there is no outstanding track like 'The Art Of Ruin', '11th Hour' or 'Take You Away'. Despite its sheer quality, this album lacks in one or two more potentially cult songs. The other reproach is that there has not been a real evolution between both albums. But that's whining for nothing, after all it's been only one year since As The Palaces Burn (and on a personal plan I am a fan of Iron Maiden, a band that releases the same album since 20 years ).

About the good things now: this album is without compromise. Bands that have an early success like Lamb Of God often tend to include more 'commercial' elements to their music, but not these guys. Ashes Of The Wake is an ode to violence, aggression and headbanging (musically, lyric-wise it's more social commitment, anti-war, anti-stuff). There is still the required bits of melody, like on 'The Faded Line' or 'Remorse Is For The Dead', but most of the time it's your everyday Lamb Of God, catchy, powerful, dominating, with great riffs ('Now You've Got Something To Die For', 'Omerta') and the raw vocal attacks of Randy Blythe. Plus they've managed to get Alex Skolnick (former guitar-hero of Testament) out of his jazzy experimentations and to hire Chris Poland of Megadeth fame for killer solos on the instrumental 'Ashes Of The Wake'.

Well, forget my miserable complaints of the beginning, Ashes of The Wake is still better than an awful lot of releases of this year. Quietly, Lamb Of God is imposing its trademark among the best thrash bands, and no doubt that with riffs of the quality of 'Blood Of The Scribe' and 'Hourglass', they'll make it to the top in no time. Meanwhile, maybe you should switch off your computers and go buy this album. Sounds like a good idea, huh?

Highlights: Laid To Rest, Now You've Got Something To Die For, Omerta

Written by Deadsoulman | 18.10.2004

Guest review by
thev_manutop
Rating:
Well, if there was a poll for Lamb Of God's magnum opus or defining work, I'm pretty sure it would yield this. Ashes Of The wake is not only an outstanding thrash/groove metal album but also one that every metal fan must "die for." From start to finish, it imposes the power of their previous works as on New American Gospel and As The Palaces Burn and the depth of Sacrament making it an epic listen. This is the one album which has it all.

Read more ››
published 17.07.2011 | Comments (4)

Comments

Comments: 25   Visited by: 243 users
23.09.2007 - 17:32
DigitalGrind
Account deleted
Every fuckin album of them are a masterpiece and this is one of them,the greatest band in last 12 years that i have ever heard they have everything in their song an albums they are fuckin brutal,fast,techinal,they have bought back a metal in it's best shape,they are the masters...hail to Lamb's...
21.06.2008 - 12:34
Rating: 9
Candlemass
Defaeco
Actually in my opinion the better parts are the faster ones...
Like Hourglass.
Ashes Of The Wake is there opus, masterpiece.
You do not talk about Chris Adler...
I'm sorry :S ...
but a disappointing review to me.
01.01.2009 - 14:20
Rating: 8
V8Thrasher

Saw them open for Metallica, put on quite a show.

anyways, as for the cd: its Pure AMERICAN Metal at its finest. these guys kick serious ass.
30.07.2009 - 18:00
Panterica

The best album of LOG so far and the title track is epic!
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
25.10.2009 - 06:34
Entropic Silence

This is an album that I underrated at first as well. I still don't think It's their best. I don't think they have beaten Gospel yet. Sorry, thats just my opinion
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
19.11.2009 - 21:12
JD
Account deleted
In my opinion it's the best lamb of god album ever...
19.01.2010 - 17:46
Rating: 10
thewall30

Written by Guest on 19.11.2009 at 21:12

In my opinion it's the best lamb of god album ever...

Got to agree with that bro

This is the album that got me into Lamb Of God, so it means that much more to me...
----
27.01.2010 - 20:53
Thrash del Sur

Man I liked the facth the whole album is based on Iraq war, they say things in such a brutal way that I never imagined north american could say or hear hehe.
29.01.2010 - 20:41
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
One of my all time favorite album.
29.01.2010 - 20:44
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by Guest on 23.09.2007 at 17:32

Every fuckin album of them are a masterpiece and this is one of them,the greatest band in last 12 years that i have ever heard they have everything in their song an albums they are fuckin brutal,fast,techinal,they have bought back a metal in it's best shape,they are the masters...hail to Lamb's...

Same here.One of the best band existing today.It's pure aggression and killer riffs
27.03.2010 - 23:01
I_Die_Often

My favorite LOG CD!
This is one I can put on repeat!
it is that good...
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
26.04.2010 - 18:20
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I love now you've got something to die for and laid to rest.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.04.2010 - 18:34
soadbyob
Account deleted
Amazing album, best of LOG's work
03.05.2010 - 22:07
absurdhistory

Here's my review of Ashes of the Wake..

http://absurdhistory.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/album-review-ashes-of-the-wake-by-lamb-of-god-2004/
----
http://absurdhistory.wordpress.com/
18.06.2010 - 00:52
hedonist

Best LOG album by a mile. One of my top 5 metal albums. all songs kick ass
12.08.2011 - 05:02
Sonic MrSumo

These guys are truly masters of their domain.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
12.08.2011 - 05:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 12.08.2011 at 05:02

To be fair their domain doesn't offer a lot of competition. But this is indeed a great album; LoG's always been a guilty pleasure of mine.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.08.2011 - 05:13
Sonic MrSumo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.08.2011 at 05:03

To be fair their domain doesn't offer a lot of competition. But this is indeed a great album; LoG's always been a guilty pleasure of mine.

"guilty pleasure"? I'm not sure I follow. What's there to be guilty about? Not because they're "mainstram"...there, I said it! ;-)
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
12.08.2011 - 05:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 12.08.2011 at 05:13
What's there to be guilty about? Not because they're "mainstram"...there, I said it! ;-)

Nah, I just happen to like more extreme forms of metal, so the lighter stuff I listen to I usually consider a guilty pleasure. And LoG fall into modern thrash / metalcore, two genres I normally don't enjoy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.08.2011 - 07:20
Sonic MrSumo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.08.2011 at 05:31

Written by Sonic MrSumo on 12.08.2011 at 05:13
What's there to be guilty about? Not because they're "mainstram"...there, I said it! ;-)

Nah, I just happen to like more extreme forms of metal, so the lighter stuff I listen to I usually consider a guilty pleasure. And LoG fall into modern thrash / metalcore, two genres I normally don't enjoy.

Ha...I said it, but apparently I can't spell it.
----
01.10.2011 - 08:48
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
After listening to As The Palaces Burn for the best 7 years or so I figured I'd give this a try. Don't know what it is, but I absolutely cannot stand this album. Quite an unfortunate letdown...
06.12.2011 - 15:59
heteo

Come on you there..... i agree with killjoy, not much competition in this genre, it's a good album, american 100% but i totally disagree that they are one of the best bands existing. you should have said one of the best bands for younger listeners or new genres listeners... somehow i agree with marcus, i cannot listen to this for long, seems a little boring.
15.04.2012 - 14:45
Dogsbreakfast

Is that like masters of their domain in a Seinfeld sense?
----
dogsbreakfast@hotmail.com
18.04.2012 - 01:12
Sonic MrSumo

Written by Dogsbreakfast on 15.04.2012 at 14:45

Is that like masters of their domain in a Seinfeld sense?

Indeed. Lord of the manor.
----
13.08.2023 - 04:36
RoyBoy432
Dr. Quark
"there is no outstanding track like 'The Art Of Ruin', '11th Hour' or 'Take You Away'. "

What is "Take You Away"? I can't figure out what Lamb Of God track the reviewer is referring to.

Hits total: 12619 | This month: 21