Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - First Concert With Anette

Event: Nightwish
Written by: Ernis, Ivan
Published: 26.09.2007

The following concert review concerns a very special event. On the 22nd of September in Tallinn Nightwish gave their first live performance in 2 years, and their first with the new singer Anette Olzon. The anticipations were high - a lot of people already heard Anette's singing, but how would she perform live, and would she be able to sing Tarja's songs?

As you might know, the 'premiere' was not exactly official - the event was advertised as a concert of Nightwish tribute band, "Nachtwasser". The reason for this, as well as for doing it in Tallinn, was probably to keep low profile for the first few gigs (2 similar concerts are planned for Finland and Germany) and make sure everything works as it should before starting a full-blown tour. Anyway, that certainly didn't fool the audience, even after a fake manager got on stage and with a heavy german accent announced "Nachtwasser" and even told us a bit of this "cover band" history. I wonder if there were any people in the audience who actually didn't know the real Nightwish were coming - I imagine the next few moments have been quite a surprise for them!

The band started with "Bye Bye Beautiful" - probably one of the best tracks of the new album, somewhat in the vein of "I Wish I Had An Angel" (I wonder if the title somehow refers to the former vocalist?...) It was then immediately followed by "Cadence Of Her Last Breath". These two songs from the new album were received very positively by the fans, but when Anette said she would give us the "Dark Chest Of Wonders" everyone in the front rows seemed to lose their minds and general excitement at least doubled. Songs came one after another without almost any pause and it seemed that with each new one the audience became crazier with delight and the band grew more and more enthusiastic. In fact, I've seen them live 5 times before, but this one easily beats them all by the sheer amounts of energy and the perfect chemistry between bandmembers - Anette and Marco worked amazingly well together, and songs where they both had vocal parts were a real treat. It seemed as if they were playing a wicked and intense game with each other on stage, both being angry when needed, tender when necessary. Emppu as usually was storming around like a restless jester with his guitar, at one point even plucking the strings of Marco's bass. Jukka kept the pace going on and Tuomas led the show as a captain with a small Jack Sparrow doll attached to his keyboard kit.

As for the question of whether Anette can perform Tarja's songs... She sure can - and some of them (Nemo, Slaying The Dreamer) sound even better now! Unfortunately, she was less successful with the 3 Wishmaster songs, due to her very different vocal technique - and that were the only moments I missed Tarja. The rest sounded considerably better, and all the new songs were absolutely terrific.

The crowd was definitely pleased and the band were clearly enjoying themselves on stage. I don't think this is an exaggeration to say that Anette was brilliant and almost stole the show. While Tarja was also good in her baroque queen-like presence and with her classical voice, Anette was a merry and fierce fairy whose appearance resembled that of Pippi Longstocking, a Swedish children's book character. Her crystal clear voice added passion and intensity into the older songs such as "Slaying The Dreamer" and "Wish I Had An Angel" and gave the new songs their power. On the other hand, she proved she could handle the slower and more emotional pieces just as well - songs like "Sleeping Sun", "Eva", "Ever Dream and "Nemo".

Marco Hietala was good as always with his unique vocals and "evil eyes" look. This time he showed the softer side of his voice in "The Islander" - which is the band's first acoustic ballad and is basically Marco's track (Anette is on back-vocals here). Four flaming torches decorating the stage really added to the atmosphere on this one - definitely one of the show's highlights. Somewhat surprisingly, the band also performed "The Poet And The Pendulum", epic masterpiece from "Dark Passion Play", which really showcases each bandmember's abilities (and of course, Tuomas' songwriting talents!). It was absolutely extatic - unfortunately, the 14 minutes of it went by all too quickly...

To sum up, the concert was indeed most special. The crowd didn't wish the band to leave and they returned to play more and even when they left the stage after that the audience was still crying "We want more!". The band returned to the stage for the final bow, their faces filled with sincere delight. "We love you, Anette!" - exclaimed a fan standing next to me in the front row, and the overall atmosphere in the venue left no doubt that the new and powerful era of Nightwish has now begun. We will wait for Anette, Tuomas, Jukka, Emppu and Marco to return to Tallinn in the future as well. And we will always be waiting for them to write more good music!

The band performed 17 songs, seven of them from the new album, three from Once, two from Century Child, three from Wishmaster and two from Oceanborn. Here's the setlist:

1. Bye Bye Beautiful
2. Cadence Of Her Last Breath
3. Dark Chest Of Wonders
4. Ever Dream
5. Come Cover Me
6. Amaranth
7. Sacrament Of Wilderness
8. The Islander
9. The Poet And The Pendulum
10. She Is My Sin
11. Sahara
12. Sleeping Sun
13. Slaying The Dreamer
14. Nemo

Encore:
15. Eva
16. Wishmaster
17. Wish I Had An Angel

Written by Ivan and Viggo. Picture by Håkon Grav, taken from the official website.

Nightwish

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 35   Visited by: 75 users
26.09.2007 - 00:37
Ereinion'
Account deleted
Sounds good....now I really want to hear Anette on the old songs
26.09.2007 - 01:58
ShadowedFire88

it sounds really good...
----
...SHADOWEDFIRE...
26.09.2007 - 02:47
PowerMetal
Account deleted
I'm torn, but I'll probably get the new cd.
26.09.2007 - 06:49
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Interesting, seems that all went well with their first live performance with the new singer,,, seeing them in 5 weeks hope it'll be just as good as this concert review!
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
26.09.2007 - 08:44
destroyah
supercharger
Damn you Ivan, you made me regret not going I can't even go to work today cause I feel like i really missed out on something important - and it's seriously messing with my chi
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
26.09.2007 - 09:43
Locke
Account deleted
New album is amazing. I wish I could see them live some day.
26.09.2007 - 10:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i want to hear Anette´s Ghost Love Score...there by my most favorite NW song it will show...but the question is if i will live to see...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.09.2007 - 15:50
Tod_Engel

Damn, should've gone there Reading the review gives me an impression that I missed something VERY good.
26.09.2007 - 18:17
GT
Coffee!!
Hmm sounds really promising...one might have to go to their show in Copenhagen.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
26.09.2007 - 19:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
OMS I CAN'T WAIT!!!
----
27.09.2007 - 19:14
BrightNight

Thats some good news to hear! Hopefully i think the same when i see them in 2008! Im excited.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
27.09.2007 - 20:42
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Whoa that looks amazing. I'd love to see them live. I'll get the new album really I soon!
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.09.2007 - 22:27
Ivor
Staff
Great story! I must agree that the gig was great, although it was terribly hot at the venue. I was actually prepared for a far worse experience, I just didn't have the feeling that Nightwish could pull it off with Anette. However, it came out great and the band will continue doing well. However, some old songs, like Wishmaster, are better left alone or must be changed in a way more suitable to Anette's voice. Nevertheless, it was great and I enjoyed. Too bad they didn't allow even the press to take photos, I would've liked to take some pictures.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
27.09.2007 - 23:07
Ernis
狼獾
http://photofile.ru/users/lj-metalkiller/3111226/?page=1 I dunno who took these pictures but anyway....thanks a lot to this person....pics are very good.....
27.09.2007 - 23:54
Jimmy dc
Account deleted
thats awsome i have loved anette since she got with nightwish and im really happy for her
28.09.2007 - 16:20
Bash'
:)
Nice review .. Any vedios online?
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
28.09.2007 - 17:02
EquilibriuMTR
Account deleted
Sounds like a great gig.

(By the way, the band's first acoustic ballad was Angels Fall First [Even before that, the song called Nightwish in their demo])
28.09.2007 - 20:46
Vrana

hmmm. I think that i'll have to go to their concert in Slovenia. And I have to check their last album too.
And a nice review, I must say
28.09.2007 - 21:56
annodomini

Written by Ellrohir on 26.09.2007 at 10:12

i want to hear Anette´s Ghost Love Score...there by my most favorite NW song it will show...but the question is if i will live to see...

I thougt the same when i saw the setlist, Ghost Love Score is really missing but i thinkthat they never perform Poet... and Ghost love Score together because its two very long tracks
----
the riddle wants to be...
28.09.2007 - 22:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
hm...good point unfortunately but the hope dies last
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.09.2007 - 14:48
annodomini

i think one day it will happened and i hope ill be there
----
the riddle wants to be...
30.09.2007 - 13:24
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Great reivew! Unfortunately tickets are sold out in Sweden ^^
04.10.2007 - 20:20
Carrion
Account deleted
Nice to hear it wasn't crappy.
05.10.2007 - 21:21
AutumnHarmony
Account deleted
I want to see them with this new line-up!!!
:[
08.10.2007 - 11:37
Eternal Flames

I'm glad to hear that she didn't struggle with the back catalogue of Nightwish's career. They're touring Australia early next year and I was a bit sceptical about seeing them live because I was unsure how Anette would handle the earlier songs, but after reading that review, I think I might just go see them.
14.10.2007 - 01:21
Mother_North

I 'll be in Porto to see and hear it with my own eyes and ears
----
"i still can't imagine any of them dead. They live on; they are fixed on that far-off region called childhood, were nothing ever dies, not even oneself."
18.10.2007 - 21:16
Pigsidro

We will miss Tarja, but Anette is really great, I have to see them live. Good luck Anette:banger:
----
The Mechanical Baptism
25.10.2007 - 14:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How was 'She is my sin'
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.10.2007 - 21:17
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 25.10.2007 at 14:26

How was 'She is my sin'

Well....normal...but "Slaying The Dreamer" and "Dark Chest Of Wonders" were better....
25.10.2007 - 21:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 25.10.2007 at 21:17

Written by Bad English on 25.10.2007 at 14:26

How was 'She is my sin'

Well....normal...but "Slaying The Dreamer" and "Dark Chest Of Wonders" were better....

Man thay shood realsie live album whit Anete
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 25130 | This month: 18