Metal Storm logo
The Many Faces of Garm

02.06.2006 - 06:30
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
First, I'm not quite sure where to put this thread, so forgive me if this placement is inappropriate.

Kristoffer Rygg, also known as Garm, among other names, is, in my opinion, one of the most brilliant and talented persons in music, period. Metalheads know him best as the man behind Ulver's Black Metal Trilogie, consisting of the groundbreaking albums Bergtatt, Kveldssanger, and Nattens Madrigal. These albums really set the standard for Black Metal. They're gems in the genre. Ulver has since turned to an undefinable sort of electronic experimental music - which I am convinced are superior to their black metal albums. They are truly excellent. Chilling, bizarre, brilliant.

Metalheads will also be aware of Arcturus, the strange theatrical "avant-garde" band. Garm participated in this band for eight years with other notable figures in the metal scene, including Hellhammer. He left the band early in 2005, and will be sorely missed (I didn't mind Vortex on the vocals on the new album, but musically it lacked the creativity that Garm had injected into the previous albums).

Garm has also been a vocalist for Borknagar, on their self-titled and Olden Domain albums. His newest project, which, unfortunately, I haven't heard yet, is Head Control System. The first album was released earlier this year. He's also set to do some sort of project with Sunn O))), although I don't know much else about it.

Not only is this guy utterly unstoppable as far as originality goes, he has an admirable voice, ranging from the black metal shrieks heard on those black metal Ulver albums to the baritones and falsettos heard in later works.

So let's discuss Garm; not only his metal work but also the experimental electronic side of things. I'd like to see what everyone thinks!
02.06.2006 - 22:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I used this phrase on another thread (HCS, I believe), but will use it again here - I think Garm is like either the Mike Patton or the Al Jourgensen of 'extreme' metal - a musical, uh, whore, who shows up all over the place and never seems to disappoint.

I have most of the projects listed above (I do not have the Borknagar self titled release), and of them the only one I didn't fully embrace was Ulver's adaptation of "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" - not because it was a disappointment, only because of the fact it's ambition exceeded my own taste.

Two of his Ulver releases - "Bergtatt" and "Perdition City" are amongst my favorite five albums of all time, all genres.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.06.2006 - 23:25
Daibh
Account deleted
I feel that I am replying to this simply because I agree with everything my lady, Proud Autumn, is saying.

Garm, to me, is a profound force within the music world. Like Mike Patton (as stated above) he is the finger in all the pies; making sure that no envelope is left unpushed. Everything he has touched is beautiful; experimental and unique, as it is original. The future of music we can look forward to thanks to albums like "Perdition City"

Long may he roam.
02.06.2006 - 23:35
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I also don´t think I could add anything to Proud Autumn´s post. Garm is the most creative musician ever come out from Norwegian black metal scene. For example, Nattens Madrigal is for me the best black metal album and I doubt I will find a better one.

He also performs in Ihsahn´ s solo album, in the song "Homecoming"
02.06.2006 - 23:58
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Head Control System isn't really a project solely by himself, but his voice is immediatly recognized and it's great. I've heard the whole album, it's not as good as Ulver or the albums of Arcturus. But it does sound good.

I consider Garm as one of my favorite singers and musicians. I don't really think I can add more to what is said in the first post.
I'm not like praising this guy or something, but I do admire his awesome skills.
03.06.2006 - 01:20
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I really can't add any more to what has been said. Anything else would just be pointless. Indeed, one of the most talented and interesting musicians to come out of Norway, not to mention the whole Metal scene. I love his voice especially on 'Kveldsjanger' and 'Perdition City.' Amazing.
----
The force will be with you, always.
18.07.2006 - 00:04
Ealdamir

Garm is obviously a god. I don't if I would go as far as labelling him as the most creative to come out of Norway(I consider that Dan Swano "beats him" in the creativity area) but Garm is simply ingenious! I first heard him when I got into Arcturus and it was one of the best things i've done.Then i listened to the old Ulver releases wich were so emotianally intense and had a great feeling and the the new ones wich i can't find still a proper description for.And i also admire his voice- i would sell my soul to him if he would give me his vocie(even if i don't believe in the existence of the so called soul).Especially the theatrical parts are astinishing.

I haven't heard Ihsahn´ s solo album but i will just for Garm-what style is it really?
and i hope he does a project with SUNN O)))!!!
----
I Really Wanna Visit Wonderland Some Time...
::)

Plz, Help me Fly!
18.07.2006 - 04:44
Varoth
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.06.2006 at 06:30

Ulver's Black Metal Trilogie, consisting of the groundbreaking albums Bergtatt, Kveldssanger, and Nattens Madrigal. These albums really set the standard for Black Metal.

From what I remember, Kveldssanger was not black metal at all, but A-Cappella.

I really like those three albums you mentioned though, I had a period of time a year ago in which I was heavily addicted to early Ulver, especially Nattens Madrigal. Raw as fuck black metal with a melody. Truly a masterpiece. I haven't heard Ulver in ages, this reminds me I should. And I've never heard the ambient stuff, or whatever it is, but that's just because I really dislike such stuff.
19.07.2006 - 09:40
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Ealdamir on 18.07.2006 at 00:04

Garm is obviously a god. I don't if I would go as far as labelling him as the most creative to come out of Norway(I consider that Dan Swano "beats him" in the creativity area) but Garm is simply ingenious!

I always thought that Swano was from Sweden?

Anyways Varoth, I really think you should try their later electronica works. I really enjoyed both 'Perdition City' and their newest 'Blood Inside.' They both have a very strong atmosphere and Garm's vocals only add to that. Wonderful music.
----
The force will be with you, always.
09.08.2006 - 21:14
Kurzag
Account deleted
I have to agree that K. Rygg is one of the best musicans ever. Ulver´s black metal trilogy is some of the best that have been released. Haven´t heard Ulver´s new stuff, but is sounds interesting.

Remember first time I heard Bergtatt, the song "I Troldskog Faren Vild" is one of the most beautiful songs I ever heard. And the album Kveldssanger sounds so fucking perfect for late summer nights. Maybe take a walk in the forest.
18.11.2006 - 12:24
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.08.2006 at 21:14

I have to agree that K. Rygg is one of the best musicans ever. Ulver´s black metal trilogy is some of the best that have been released. Haven´t heard Ulver´s new stuff, but is sounds interesting.

Remember first time I heard Bergtatt, the song "I Troldskog Faren Vild" is one of the most beautiful songs I ever heard. And the album Kveldssanger sounds so fucking perfect for late summer nights. Maybe take a walk in the forest.

Oh, yes! Garm voice on Bergtatt is something that I can not (and I do not want) forget... For me, sounds on this album are essentional Autumn... Exellent for walk in the forest in this part of year.
But not only three first Ulver/Garm albums have that beautiful emotions and passions. Also later works, included Blood Inside have it. Garm voice is truly unique and his conceptions of sounds, his musical ideas are genius... Great talent...
17.05.2007 - 22:40
Jiri

Garm has the best voice ever!!! His clean vocals are amazing, and his black metal vocals are so venemous! My favorite Garm albums are Bergtatt and La Masquerade Infernale.
20.05.2007 - 01:08
Graveheart

Any of you ever heard of Professor Fate? It's an experimental electronical side project by an Anaal Nathrakh member that has listed some avant-garde metal, post-rock as well as movie soundtrack music as his influences. Now you're probably wondering if I've mistaken threads again, but hear this out: Kris Rygg (Garm) is featured in one of his songs called Limbo and the song is listenable at his Myspace site. The other track is also worth checking out. http://www.myspace.com/professorfate1
21.05.2007 - 19:24
Ernis
狼獾
I agree completely that Garm is one of the best musicians...at least among those hailing from Norway...his vocals are fine and strong....I love the work he did with Borknagar....Olden Domain is one of the best albums I've ever heard....
03.09.2007 - 01:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
After listening to the debut Borknagar album that I got from a friend today, I'd be willing to say that Garm is one of the best black metal vocalists out there. I'm not familiar with Ulver, but I first noticed Garm's talent in Arcturus. Not only does he have strong, yet raspy screams, but I think his singing voice is awesome as well.
11.02.2011 - 23:02
insomniac_marlin

Garm is without a doubt, one of the finest vocalists around. Love his work in Ulver and Arcturus. Haven't listened to Borknagar much, so can't comment on it.

Isn't a new Ulver album supposed to be released this year? Does anybody have any update about it?
12.02.2011 - 04:33
Io
Account deleted
The La Masquerade Infernale album is one of a kind, while The Olden Domain will forever be a cold walk in the woods. What perhaps we like about Garm is his ability to undergo metamorphosis, like the album. I'm glad many of you like his music. Now I know I'm not alone in the journey.
13.02.2011 - 07:00
Susan
Smeghead
Just found out that Garm is the male vocals on The Gathering's song "A Life All Mine" which is pretty much my favourite song. Damn this guy is everywhere!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs