Metal Storm logo
Alice In Chains

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 02.06.2006 - 07:01
As I am listening to Alice in Chains I thought I would make a topic for them. I put it in Hard Rock because that is what it is closest to I suppose. Sometimes they lean towards the Metal side but other times fall back to the more Rock/Grunge area, so it's fine here. Anyway, are there any fans of this band? Personally I think Staley was one of the best vocalists ever and Cantrell is an amazing guitar player. It seems that Staley's melancholic wailing and Cantrell's crunching guitar work always went together perfectly. I don't have a favorite album really, as I enjoy all of their material equally.
04.03.2007 - 18:45
Ereinion'
Account deleted
Any news about the live dvd?
14.03.2007 - 23:34
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
When I was little I thought all the old bands were the best. KISS, Metallica, Alice In Chains. And I still think that. Alice In Chains was and still is one of the best bands.
19.03.2007 - 14:30
Sonic MrSumo
I think 'Dirt' really was their masterpiece. Certainly in my top 10 albums (if not the top 5) of all time.

Their other albums just seemed to have too much filler in them. Don't get me wrong, 'Man In The Box' from 'Facelift' and 'Grind' from their self-titled are amazing tracks, but the remaining portions of those albums just didn't quiet do it for me.

There just wasn't a bad song on 'Dirt'. Brilliant.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
22.03.2007 - 02:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
The only so called 'Grunge' band I could actually get into, though I would hardly call them grunge, just hard rock.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.03.2007 - 06:25
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
So here I am, slacking at work and watching Alice in Chains videos, and I thought I'd shared some:

Here's a video of their new vocalist singing Them Bones

One youtube user hit the nail on its head when he said that the new vocalist doesn't really sing with as much feeling as Layne did.

and here's a video with James Hetfield performing with AIC
23.03.2007 - 06:43
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Dangerboner on 22.03.2007 at 06:25

One youtube user hit the nail on its head when he said that the new vocalist doesn't really sing with as much feeling as Layne did.

I don't think anyone could have ever sang with as much feeling as Layne did. Anyway, I think Jerry should just do vocals, but that's just me. And if you're to get a new singer, try not to get someone who is going to just imitate, try a new style perhaps?
----
The force will be with you, always.
23.03.2007 - 07:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah, I completely agree. When the new guy was first announced, it was reported that he actually would try a new style, but I guess that didn't happen. Jerry Cantrell does a fine job with the vocals and I don't think the new guy is needed.
31.03.2007 - 14:18
l33t_sas
Account deleted
They got me into metal. And they were my favourite band for about half a year. I rarely ever listen to them anymore although I still like them.
12.04.2007 - 20:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Doc G. on 22.03.2007 at 02:41

The only so called 'Grunge' band I could actually get into, though I would hardly call them grunge, just hard rock.

Its is grunge man it is even lil diferent how thos other grunge bands, but well yes thay are more closer to hard rock
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2007 - 21:01
magick
Account deleted
I love AIC, they play fantastic sounding music. Layne was one of the best vocalists to have ever lived, frankly and Carpenter is a fantastic guitar player with a unique rythmic playing and some pretty sweet riffage and soloing, and virtually brought mainstream guitar-playing back form the dead in the 90's.
01.05.2007 - 12:18
Nazeef
I can admit that I'm still enslaved by their MTV UNPLUGGED.
I enjoy every second in their music. I see it as the perfect Grunge face...
by the way, are they still Active?
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
02.05.2007 - 04:09
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Nazeef on 01.05.2007 at 12:18

by the way, are they still Active?

They were touring with a new vocalist...they must have a new album by out now...
02.05.2007 - 06:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@Kap'N Korrupt - they actually just started writing new material, so the next album should be released late this year or early next year.

@Myself (lol....not at me, at the dude named Myself) - yeah man, that Unplugged performance is creepy as hell. I love it. BTW, I don't know if I'd consider them to be grunge...
02.05.2007 - 14:49
Nixx
Account deleted
Great band, love songs like "Rooster", "Man in a Box", "Angry Chair", "I can't Remember" etc.

My brother got a DvD with their music videos on so I kinda "borrowed" it :
Awesome DvD.

Definetly going to check out their new CD (if it's ever launched).
02.05.2007 - 20:58
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
A lot of people think that their self-titled album represented musically a band already falling apart...opinions? Do you think that this is obvious in the music?
11.07.2007 - 23:58
Cassandra
Account deleted
alice in chains is great, its mellow at some points, unique and well written. Dirt is a great album.
14.07.2007 - 15:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 02.05.2007 at 14:49

Great band, love songs like "Rooster", "Man in a Box", "Angry Chair", "I can't Remember" etc.

My brother got a DvD with their music videos on so I kinda "borrowed" it :
Awesome DvD.

Definetly going to check out their new CD (if it's ever launched).

There are all music videos, I mean promotional videos can you post all of them here
----

apos;'
[image]
17.07.2007 - 06:10
Nixx
Account deleted
ehm, if you meant if I could post the music videos of those I mentioned, then sure:

Rooster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snkbewlsUVk

Man in the Box: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bvbMPk0hyc (censored version).

Couldn't find the other one's, and don't have time, but maybe you haven't seen this one?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_cZ60v9YdM&mode=related&search= (Would? with James Hetfield from Metallica).
17.07.2007 - 10:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.07.2007 at 06:10

ehm, if you meant if I could post the music videos of those I mentioned, then sure:

Rooster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snkbewlsUVk

Man in the Box: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bvbMPk0hyc (censored version).

Couldn't find the other one's, and don't have time, but maybe you haven't seen this one?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_cZ60v9YdM&mode=related&search= (Would? with James Hetfield from Metallica).

Thank's but i woundering how much offical videos has thay had made
----

apos;'
[image]
26.07.2007 - 05:02
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
They probably have made about six or seven...
26.07.2007 - 05:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 02.05.2007 at 20:58

A lot of people think that their self-titled album represented musically a band already falling apart...opinions? Do you think that this is obvious in the music?

It definitely is and the cover of the three-legged dog basically represents Layne's status. The music is much more depressive and pessimistic, and Layne's voice sounds like a man without any hope.
26.07.2007 - 06:13
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I never really thought about the album cover in that kind of symbolic light until now for some reason...that album totally does sound like they would never put another one out...
14.10.2007 - 11:25
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
i just know a few songs from them but i like them a lot

my favorites are Man In The Box,Would? and Heaven Beside you
----
Stay Metal !!!
07.01.2008 - 00:25
I searched for this topic and didn't find it, so I started one in the Alternative Metal forum, which was subsequently locked.

As I said in that post, Dirt is one of my all-time favorite albums, although the second half of the album is somewhat average, with only Junkhead, Would, and to a lesser extent, Dirt, being halfway decent. I have yet to get Sap, though it is my next purchase. Jar of Flies and Facelift are also strong albums, though not my favorites by them. I really like the self-titled album, and was surprised to see in this thread a mention that it sounded like the music was falling apart.

Anyone excited about a potential AIC reunion, or are you like me and think they should not go without Layne Staley?
07.01.2008 - 01:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
No, I am not looking forward to the new AIC album at all. Jerry Cantrell should have either stuck with his solo project or recruited a better, and much different sounding vocalist than the one they have now. Will's vocals are fine, but the emotion doesn't show as much as it did with Layne. I love watching the AIC videos with guest vocalists, especially Phil Anselmo, and I think he would have been a better fit than Will, even though Phil doesn't sound nearly as good as he used to.
10.01.2008 - 05:27
deadset61
Account deleted
Layne Staley was one of my fav. vocalists ever RIP
17.01.2008 - 07:45
Number Juan
Alice in Chains is a great band. Layne Staley was such a great vocalist and Jerry Cantrell is a great guitar player.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
01.04.2008 - 13:23
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
Great band , I love this song "It Ain't Like That" and my fav.band similar to this case is Nirvana
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
06.07.2008 - 15:32
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Written by theflyingmachine on 07.01.2008 at 00:25

I searched for this topic and didn't find it, so I started one in the Alternative Metal forum, which was subsequently locked.

As I said in that post, Dirt is one of my all-time favorite albums, although the second half of the album is somewhat average, with only Junkhead, Would, and to a lesser extent, Dirt, being halfway decent. I have yet to get Sap, though it is my next purchase. Jar of Flies and Facelift are also strong albums, though not my favorites by them. I really like the self-titled album, and was surprised to see in this thread a mention that it sounded like the music was falling apart.

Anyone excited about a potential AIC reunion, or are you like me and think they should not go without Layne Staley?

No, it isn't the same without Layne, I've see them live(about 2 years ago if I'm not mistaken) with the new vocalist and it was a flop! He tried to give an effort but he has the ghost of Layne on is back...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
08.07.2008 - 17:31
Written by SlaytallicA on 06.07.2008 at 15:32

Written by theflyingmachine on 07.01.2008 at 00:25

No, it isn't the same without Layne, I've see them live(about 2 years ago if I'm not mistaken) with the new vocalist and it was a flop! He tried to give an effort but he has the ghost of Layne on is back...

Yea they should just call themselves something else. Layne's voice is just too original to allow a new singer in, regardless of how good they are.