Metal Storm logo
Bands you cover

14.10.2007 - 19:46
Lord TJ

I seem to be under a curse of only playing Angra and Death. I like playing Death because of its complexity and the way it sounds, I like playing Angra because theres lots of parts where you have to make an incredible stretch, I like testing my abilities.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
14.10.2007 - 20:56
Sunioj

Is this mainly about songs that we personally learn and play? Or is it about songs we cover with a band? Or both Ok anyways, I cover bands first that suit my tuning ( I forbid my bass to be tuned to anything lower than standard D ). Bands that have a tendency to write riffs that involve covering differrent chord work. Umm, nothing to ridiculously hard, I usually set a goal on which band Im going to cover that I feel is most suitable. When I want to learn a bands material, I usually take two or three songs from one of their favored albums. For me thats mostly Decapitated, Death, Vomitory, Cryptopsy, some Cannibal corpse, and alittle melodic metal like Kalmah or Stratovarius also comes in handy.
14.10.2007 - 21:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
im trying to learn passages mainly from Nightwish songs...some of them i can already play...but nothing amazing my performance is... :

and why? because NW is simply the best band under power metal sun
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.10.2007 - 22:26
NECURATU

I've been trying to pull out Cunoasterea Tacuta by Negura Bunget. If I'll ever manage to finish it, I can consider myself a god . That aside I don't have a special preference for a certain band, when I hear something I like I just try and play that certain thing. I've never been a fan of massive covering, I think it wastes time that could be used to hone creativity.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
14.10.2007 - 22:41
Pinusar
Account deleted
Well, I covered John Cage's 4:33 the other day with two of my friends. The reason was that we were planning on covering some Celtic Frost or Pestilence, but it turned out that there wasn't a song, that all of us could play well, so we covered 4:33(consists only of silence).

Previously we also covered Burzum's War, its easy but gets boring to me.
15.10.2007 - 00:02
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 14.10.2007 at 22:41

Well, I covered John Cage's 4:33 the other day with two of my friends. The reason was that we were planning on covering some Celtic Frost or Pestilence, but it turned out that there wasn't a song, that all of us could play well, so we covered 4:33(consists only of silence).

You play what? There's how many of you? Need any drum player(I doubt...)....
15.10.2007 - 01:25
Sunioj

The most successful cover I ever managed to pull off with a band is My Immortal by Evanescence ( chosen because its most accessible ). It was a shock that it actually sounded good, well I mean, everyone that I gave a crap about gave positive feedback. Thing was all of the sound equipment was completely unavailable at the time because it got fried, so all we had to get our sound across was guitar amps. More specifically 6 guitar amps and one bass amp ( we used guitar amps for three female vocalists :\ ). Piano, two guitars, three female vocalists, cello ( me ), bass, drums. One of the female vocalists fucked up first time through the verse, because she was about to burst out laughing.

Im still in shock that it didn't crash and burn.
15.10.2007 - 09:12
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i think cover songs should be pretty basic and easy to play, while still being fun to play. because u mostly cover songs when u start off as a band, so its best to do something easy so u get it together but also fun to keep u interested
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
15.10.2007 - 17:35
Lord TJ

Why does it need to be easy? I would choose songs to challenge myself....Freebird*cough*.....
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

15.10.2007 - 18:28
Sunioj

Written by Lord TJ on 15.10.2007 at 17:35

Why does it need to be easy? I would choose songs to challenge myself....Freebird*cough*.....

Well, when its with a full band IMO it would be a good to start off on easy covers if you or the band members are unsure of their sound or capabilities. So the second time around doing a cover, or even possibly participating in something more complicated, you know where the band members weakness and strongpoints stand. Also easy means you can add dynamic parts to the song to make it more interesting. Easy could also mean, whats more accessible to the majority of people who listen to music. So theres differrent reasons. I also like challenging myself, but the bigger challenge I think is getting everyone to sound the way they are supposed and to cooperate.
15.10.2007 - 19:14
Lord TJ

Oh I see what you mean, I thought you were meaning always playing simple covers.
----

15.10.2007 - 20:49
Too many fail.

Its two completely different things to play along guitar pro with solid backing and ou being the only one who can rally fuck the song up and playing with a full band where the instruments rely on each other to sound good. A lot of bedrooom shredders might be able to play like hell in their own privacy but when it comes down o following a band and being a part of the ensemble these people have a lot of trouble. I think the best thing to do is play really simple songs and add stuff here and there to make it more interesting if necessary, No one is forcing you to stick to the original arrangement, if youre skilled and know what youre doing and play well as an integral part of the band you can make even god save the queen sound amazing!
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
15.10.2007 - 21:11
Valentin B
Iconoclast
judas priest, because it's mostly easy, save for "jawbreaker", "the sentinel" and "painkiller" and it's my favourite band nowadays, and they are insanely catchy. i know lots of stuff by them, green manalishi, diamonds and rust, breaking the law and electric eye being the only full songs i know, though i've got a whole library of priest riffs and intros in my head

iced earth, because it's my second favourite band lol, they have great melodies(i daydream about playing "the hunter", the song with the epicest chorus riff ever, live in front of a huge crowd everyone chanting to the melody.. damn that sounds good ), other than the hunter i can only fully play watching over me and most of angels holocaust

metallica, because they're easy, catchy, and they've got a ENORMOUS fan base here, so it's easy to find someone to play with. whiplash, metal militia, for whom the bell tolls, and whiskey in the jar are the songs i can play

iron maiden, they just sound fucking awesome, are great for exercise, and are extremely catchy, like "phantom of the opera", "the trooper" or "fear of the dark" though i can't play any full songs by them
15.10.2007 - 21:14
Lord TJ

Written by Valentin B on 15.10.2007 at 21:11

judas priest, because it's mostly easy, save for "jawbreaker", "the sentinel" and "painkiller" and it's my favourite band nowadays, and they are insanely catchy

Wow, Judas Priest, that used to be my favorite band, I learned Metal Gods, Electric Eye, Rock Hard Ride Free, Screaming For Vengeance, The Ripper, etc.

lol
----

15.10.2007 - 21:25
selken
Irreligious
I mostly cover songs from thrash bands: Sodom, Kreator, Metallica, Slayer...
----
15.10.2007 - 21:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord TJ on 15.10.2007 at 21:14

Written by Valentin B on 15.10.2007 at 21:11

judas priest, because it's mostly easy, save for "jawbreaker", "the sentinel" and "painkiller" and it's my favourite band nowadays, and they are insanely catchy

Wow, Judas Priest, that used to be my favorite band, I learned Metal Gods, Electric Eye, Rock Hard Ride Free, Screaming For Vengeance, The Ripper, etc.

lol

\m/we're heavy duty! lolol

is it me or is priest totally underrated? as far as i know i'm the only priest fanatic on the site! :-/
15.10.2007 - 21:53
Lord TJ

Trust me im with you. Im not so big into them as I once was because im more into extreme stuff. Judas Priest will always have a set place in my heart

I used to study Priest, the members, how the band formed, etc.
----

16.10.2007 - 19:09
NECURATU

Meh, everything has it's age. Priest's for the younghearts Shame I didn't get to grow up on them but c'est la vie. Anyhow, I like the cover Death made for Painkiller more than the original. It's one of the few cases the cover surpaces the original as far as I'm concerned.
----
16.10.2007 - 19:50
Lord TJ

Written by NECURATU on 16.10.2007 at 19:09

Anyhow, I like the cover Death made for Painkiller more than the original. It's one of the few cases the cover surpaces the original as far as I'm concerned.

Death made a Painkiller cover?!?

Link me!
----

16.10.2007 - 22:31
Pinusar
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 15.10.2007 at 00:02

Written by Guest on 14.10.2007 at 22:41

You play what? There's how many of you? Need any drum player(I doubt...)....

We've got together to play only a few times so far, but there's 4 players(2 guitars bass and drums).
17.10.2007 - 17:13
NECURATU

Written by Lord TJ on 16.10.2007 at 19:50

Death made a Painkiller cover?!?

Link me!

It's on the B-side of The Sound Of Perseverence.
----
26.10.2007 - 15:10
Alex Smith

At this time I try to play Melissa Etheridge's songs - I play the same music using my vocal. Anyway, I play it for myself.
26.10.2007 - 21:17
ASiema113

I cover certain bands because of techniques that a band will use and try to incorporate it into my own playing, rather then taking a bands sound and trying to make a base around it. That and it's always fun to finds new ways to use techiniques that hae been around for a while.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
19.11.2007 - 21:28
*ODEN*
Account deleted
amon amarth!!!!
14.12.2007 - 19:44
Lord TJ

Written by Guest on 19.11.2007 at 21:28

amon amarth!!!!

And WHY?
----

04.01.2008 - 18:44
torniojaws

With Relativity, we randomly jam during rehearsals to Led Zeppelin, The Berzerker, Slayer and Black Sabbath tunes. But during live concerts we've only covered Rotten Sound - Chainsaw Is God and 2 Unlimited - No Limit.

With Vortech I've recorded Funker Vogt's Civil War, but I'm still considering whether or not to include it onto my next album. When I'll play live with Vortech, I've got a few ideas thrown about.
----
Vortech - New album out! VortechMusic.com Industrial Death Metal
16.01.2008 - 01:27
RockeRoy

Opeth, Dream theater, Lamb of god, Gojira, Mastodon, Tool, Sepultura, Pantera! Some of the for the complexity, challenge and to gain skills and some just for the fun of playing music with Groove!
I use to play in a band and we coverd a couple of Opeth and Mastodon songs but we focused mainly on writing own material! now i play songs of all of the mentiond bands toghetter with a drummer, but we don't have a whole band now! i also use guitar pro!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
24.01.2008 - 01:23
Hellsing

I used to play Opeth and Arch Enemy covers with my band... I'm not into covers but come on Opeth and Arch Enemy I had to do it!! hahah
----
±M@u®î©îر
www.myspace.com/voidcr
www.myspace.com/strato_mauricio
02.02.2008 - 00:17
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
we cover death-crystal mountain it was a nice challenge to get it tight
arch enemy-dead eyes see no future this was a fun song for the guitarists, but overall good song to do

recently we covered Gojira- remembrance we did this coz the whole band trips on gojira and we loved the link alive dvd the way the gig starts
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
02.02.2008 - 23:22
doomina
Account deleted
we're often playing sabbath stuff or some electric wizard songs. but not on stage ... just to have a good time.