Metal Storm logo
Manowar

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 03.06.2006 - 00:23
As I sit here and listen to most likely the greatest band of all time I notice that there isn't a topic for them, so I decided to make one. Manowar are a band that you must love, and if you don't, you're gay. Haha, seriously though. They make some wicked music, though pompous, they deserve to be, I mean, they are the KINGS OF METAL. I do enjoy their upbeat attitude, killer riffing, and Eric Adams god like vocals. Very manly. I would call them Heavy Metal (or moreover, Traditional Metal) than anything, but they do have some Speed and Power Metal tendencies every now and then. Any fans?

And remember kids, while other bands play - Manowar kill.
14.08.2016 - 21:56
The Batlord

I've only become a Manowar junkie in the last couple years, but fuck me have I been converted. Battle Hymns, Into Glory Ride, and Hail to England were legitimately creative heavy/power metal with a sound that was original as hell. And even when they were settling into a self-parodying groove with their later albums they were still a barrel of fun more often than not. I don't deny that they're kinda crap, are probably borderline retarded, and don't really know how to write songs (why oh why did they ever try "Achilles"?) but they're just so much fun that I'd rather listen to them over 99% of bands with more "talent".
----
Bands that suck: Dream Theater, Dragonforce, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, the folk rock half of Led Zeppelin, 99% of thrash metal bands from the turn of the century, Mumford & Sons, any death metal band influenced by Necrophagist.

That is all for now.
16.08.2016 - 14:39
Metren
Dreadrealm
I've only ever taken a mild interest in Manowar. When I first discovered them, I thought they were a really fun tongue-in-cheek band and I sort of went along with their music and attitudes. I mean, I love artists, who aren't afraid to wink at the audience as in: "We know this is silly, you know this is silly, but it's so damn fun, let's pretend it's serious, eh?" Unfortunately however, it has become pretty clear to me in recent years that they aren't all that tongue-in-cheek and are actually arrogant as hell. It's difficult for me to believe this, but I think they (especially DeMaio) actually think they are THE kings of metal, which they obviously are not and never have been.

Yeah, yeah, I know, somewhere out there there's a Manowar fan or several reading this comment shaking their head and thinking: "He'll never be a warrior with that attitude!"

You got me there.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
09.09.2016 - 00:15
Halberd3

Manowar is pretty good. I like a big majority of their albums. It's nice to know they'll fiercely defend heavy metal like warriors. But Joey is an arrogant dick. I don't like him too much. Compares Manowar to Maiden and Metallica.
29.10.2016 - 13:56
Zombie94

Written by Halberd3 on 09.09.2016 at 00:15

Manowar is pretty good. I like a big majority of their albums. It's nice to know they'll fiercely defend heavy metal like warriors. But Joey is an arrogant dick. I don't like him too much. Compares Manowar to Maiden and Metallica.

He's definitely an asshole. They played Dublin about 5 years ago in a tiny venue and they were charging an absurd amount of money for tickets. An Irish metal site interviewed him before the gig and as soon as the ticket price was brought up he ended the interview. Though not before saying he felt they were undercharging and that it was 'in line with other big bands' like Iron Maiden and Metallica. The guy is delusional and a dick to his fans.

http://www.metalireland.com/2011/10/21/joey-de-maio-manowar-gig-fantastic-value-for-money/
29.10.2016 - 15:33
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Zombie94 on 29.10.2016 at 13:56

Written by Halberd3 on 09.09.2016 at 00:15

He's definitely an asshole. They played Dublin about 5 years ago in a tiny venue and they were charging an absurd amount of money for tickets. An Irish metal site interviewed him before the gig and as soon as the ticket price was brought up he ended the interview. Though not before saying he felt they were undercharging and that it was 'in line with other big bands' like Iron Maiden and Metallica. The guy is delusional and a dick to his fans.

http://www.metalireland.com/2011/10/21/joey-de-maio-manowar-gig-fantastic-value-for-money/

I recently bought tickets for an Iron Maiden show in April 2017. Ticket prices were 50,60,65 or 70 euro. So yeah the ticket prices were probably in line with IM and Metallica. But I honestly doubt that there are many people that would like to pay as much for a Manowar show as they would for an Iron Maiden show or a Metallica show.

"Well first off I think it's a very low price, and it represents an extremely great deal." - Joey

I wouldn't call 50 euro for the cheapest ticket a very low price... Joey just doesn't have a sense of reality imo (his ignorance can be really annoying). I think that if he could, he would have asked even more, but because bands like IM and Metallica don't ask more than what Manowar is already charging, he simply can't.
29.10.2016 - 17:49
Zombie94

Written by tominator on 29.10.2016 at 15:33

I recently bought tickets for an Iron Maiden show in April 2017. Ticket prices were 50,60,65 or 70 euro. So yeah the ticket prices were probably in line with IM and Metallica. But I honestly doubt that there are many people that would like to pay as much for a Manowar show as they would for an Iron Maiden show or a Metallica show.

"Well first off I think it's a very low price, and it represents an extremely great deal." - Joey

I wouldn't call 50 euro for the cheapest ticket a very low price... Joey just doesn't have a sense of reality imo (his ignorance can be really annoying). I think that if he could, he would have asked even more, but because bands like IM and Metallica don't ask more than what Manowar is already charging, he simply can't.

Oh yeah I didn't doubt that he was charging the same as IM and Metallica. It's the fact that he actually thinks that Manowar are on the same level of popularity as those bands that was outrageous. The venue where they were playing has a capacity of about <1000 people. When the other 2 bands play Dublin, they play the 02 Arena, which can hold roughly 10,000 people.
29.10.2016 - 18:43
tominator
At best deranged
Written by Zombie94 on 29.10.2016 at 17:49

Oh yeah I didn't doubt that he was charging the same as IM and Metallica. It's the fact that he actually thinks that Manowar are on the same level of popularity as those bands that was outrageous. The venue where they were playing has a capacity of about <1000 people. When the other 2 bands play Dublin, they play the 02 Arena, which can hold roughly 10,000 people.

Yeah I definitely agree.
01.12.2016 - 15:14
Kriegsmesser

I loved Manowar so much at one point, they were so over the top.
28.12.2016 - 20:25
Fulcrum

Written by Metren on 16.08.2016 at 14:39

It's difficult for me to believe this, but I think they (especially DeMaio) actually think they are THE kings of metal, which they obviously are not and never have been.

They're definitely THE kings of body lube and gay-fetish dress up.
12.04.2018 - 21:15
avangerx

Manowar was an iconic band. You like it or not they were a milestone in Heavy Metal history. Their original line up ,Joey, Eric, Scott (RIP) and Ross the Boss, was solid as fuck. Too many great songs was written by Joey and Ross partnership but after Ross's departure nothing has been the same. Song writing was getting sloppy and dull. They became too much of Joey and even a real fan as me had enough of it. His transformation from a good musician to a super control freak and a real dick should not be my concern as a fan but this definetley affected the song writing and the sound of the band. Late Manowar has nothing to do with the early Manowar. I find the last 3 studio albums very much an epic FAIL! It's time to say farewell as I think Joey knows he can no longer deliver enything for the band or the fans!
----
ONCE A ROCKER ALWAYS A ROCKER...
08.07.2018 - 03:56
Drippy.Hippie

Written by Fulcrum on 28.12.2016 at 20:25

Written by Metren on 16.08.2016 at 14:39

It's difficult for me to believe this, but I think they (especially DeMaio) actually think they are THE kings of metal, which they obviously are not and never have been.

They're definitely THE kings of body lube and gay-fetish dress up.

That made me laugh.

Yes, first glance they most certainly do come off homo-erotic as fuck. But in reality their music is a damn near ideal embodiment of machismo, borderline-chauvinistic heterosexuality. It's empowering as fucking hell that's for sure..........They are really over-the-top though and take themselves way too damn seriously, which is what adds the comedic aspect to the band, they don't attract wimps cuz they're too loud, hahaha.

Regardless of how off-putting they may be to large chunk of the masses, I am proud to call them one of my all-time favorites. Their 1988 release, 'Kings Of Metal' is their best work in my eyes......I don't enjoy much of what they put out after 2007's 'Gods Of War' though, it's very apparent that age is starting to get to them, maybe it's best that they're calling it quits.

Other bands play, Manowar Kill!!
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
01.04.2019 - 11:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
MANOWAR To Release Remixed And Remastered Editions Of 'Into Glory Ride' And 'Hail To England

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/manowar-to-release-remixed-and-remastered-editions-of-into-glory-ride-and-hail-to-england/
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.06.2019 - 03:11
Warviking

Sons Of Odin is one of the greatest metal songs ever! I'm pretty old and Manowar has been a favorite for a long time.
----
And in their hour of need
He sent forth unto them
The berserker rage

Viking Shield - Real Viking Gear
17.03.2020 - 11:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
MANOWAR Films HELL & HEAVEN METAL FEST Concert For DVD/Blu-Ray Release

According to Summa Inferno, MANOWAR's concert this past Saturday night (March 14) at the Hell & Heaven Metal Fest in Mexico City was professionally recorded and filmed for a future DVD and Blu-ray release.

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. Manowar
02. Brothers Of Metal Pt. 1
03. Blood Of My Enemies
04. Call To Arms
05. Hand Of Doom
06. Sons Of Odin
07. Swords In The Wind
08. Bass Solo
09. Battle Hymn
10. Thor (The Powerhead)
11. Kings Of Metal
12. Fighting The World
13. Hail And Kill
14. House Of Death
15. King Of Kings

Encore:

16. Joey's Speech
17. Warriors Of The World
18. Black Wind, Fire And Steel
----

apos;'
[image]
20.04.2021 - 13:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Https://blabbermouth.net/news/l-a-guns-feat-phil-lewis-and-tracii-guns-to-release-new-album-checkered-past-in-november/

Not my band, but this if it will be DVD I would like to watch it, sounds interesting. Place where I want to go, I am not Thai beach fan, I love north, so might be cool after Corona
----

apos;'
[image]
22.04.2021 - 09:16
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I still haven't managed to listen to any of their stuff yet, I remember years ago and a friend of mine recommending them to me.

I know they have quite a big following but their are alot of mixed opinions about them, so I'm not sure what I would make of them, I don't know if they will be a bit too simple and cheesy for me, they kind of look like a masters of the universe style act. What has interested me about them most though is that I've heard they are one of the best metal bands to see live, and put on a hell of a good show, I've also been told they are one of the loudest bands to have played live aswel, so clearly they are no joke.

What are their best albums for me to start off with any recommendations?
22.04.2021 - 10:12
nikarg

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 22.04.2021 at 09:16

Everything they released in the '80s is brilliant. Into Glory Ride is my favourite of theirs but only by a small margin over Hail To England and Kings Of Metal. Fighting The World is my least favourite, although still great fun. The '90s albums are just listenable, but I don't find any reason to revisit them anymore, even though I still listen to Manowar regularly (I played Battle Hymns a couple of days ago for example, the title track is possibly their best ever). Don't bother with anything from this millennium.

They slay live, even at this older age, although they always include a boring part with DeMaio doing some ridiculous speeches and lame bass solos. It gives you enough time to take a piss or get more beer though.
22.04.2021 - 17:56
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by nikarg on 22.04.2021 at 10:12

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 22.04.2021 at 09:16

Everything they released in the '80s is brilliant. Into Glory Ride is my favourite of theirs but only by a small margin over Hail To England and Kings Of Metal. Fighting The World is my least favourite, although still great fun. The '90s albums are just listenable, but I don't find any reason to revisit them anymore, even though I still listen to Manowar regularly (I played Battle Hymns a couple of days ago for example, the title track is possibly their best ever). Don't bother with anything from this millennium.

They slay live, even at this older age, although they always include a boring part with DeMaio doing some ridiculous speeches and lame bass solos. It gives you enough time to take a piss or get more beer though.

Thanks, I will check out those 80's albums you mentioned when I can, the album title Hail to England sounds quite patriotic, so I actually thought they were an English band not American, hopefully If I like them enough they might become the American alternative to Iron Maiden for me.
23.04.2021 - 04:17
bj_waters

I'd say that Manowar's songwriting and style is closer to classic Judas Priest and Saxon than Iron Maiden.

I actually quite like their debut album, as it has some solid riffs. I also second Kings of Metal, and I quite like some of Fighting the World, particularly the title track.

Edit: I realized I said Fighting the World twice.
27.04.2021 - 17:28
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by bj_waters on 23.04.2021 at 04:17

I'd say that Manowar's songwriting and style is closer to classic Judas Priest and Saxon than Iron Maiden.

I actually quite like their debut album, as it has some solid riffs. I also second Fighting the World, and I quite like some of Fighting the World, particularly the title track.

I recently listened to Kings Of Metal and I thought it was good, I do see the resemblance to classic Judas Priest now you mention it.
08.05.2021 - 11:58
Revelf

Yes, I agree, very good. Manowar is a very cool band. I listened to one song and I liked it. I recommend you listen.
P.s I listened to this song - https://youtu.be/K70nC0FbxiU
10.05.2021 - 08:44
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I have realised that there is a high level of cheesyness to their music style and lyrics, which is not to every metallers taste. And from what I've seen, they are master showboaters with high ego's, but are quality performers on stage, but this is what I admire about them, they don't take things too seriously, they always want to have fun and show thier fans a great time. I like them in the same way I like early WASP.
21.05.2021 - 20:31
Thereck

Just an awesome band where the songs are very cool, but still metal.
07.09.2021 - 16:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ex-MANOWAR Guitarist ROSS THE BOSS Calls Current Version Of Band 'Mediocre', Says Recent Musical Output Has Been 'Terrible'

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-manowar-guitarist-ross-the-boss-calls-current-version-of-band-mediocre-says-recent-musical-output-has-been-terrible/

I agree whit him, all Ross Freedman has done after Mnaowar sounds heavier and better as 'Sign Of The Hammer'' Band badn, horible soft solos, ballad, equal as shower singing, he could add Virgin Steele afterThe Marriage Of Heaven And Hell Part II.
Finally some said the truth....
----

apos;'
[image]
22.11.2021 - 13:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
MANOWAR Records New Song Inspired By HOMER's 'Odyssey'

From Facebook
In a press conference held in Athens last night, Joey DeMaio announced that the band will bring a crushing new production, killer set list and a special gift for the Greek fans to commemorate a truly outstanding year in music history!
As metal fans will know, 2022 marks the 30th year since the release of “The Triumph Of Steel”. With this album MANOWAR surprised their fans with the over 28 minutes long track “Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts”, inspired by Homer’s ancient Greek poem “The Iliad”.

MANOWAR - Confirmed Tour Dates:
Tue, April 12, 2022 - Rotterdam, NL – Rotterdam Ahoy
Wed, April 13, 2022 - Bremen, DE – ÖVB-Arena – Halle 7
Thu, April 14, 2022 - Berlin, DE – Velodrom
Sat, April 16, 2022 - Oberhausen, DE – König Pilsener Arena
Sun, April 17, 2022 - Zwickau, DE – Stadthalle
Thu, April 21, 2022 - Nuremberg, DE - Arena Nürnberger Versicherung
Fri, April 22, 2022 - Neu-Ulm, DE – Ratiopharm Arena
Sat, April 23, 2022 - Mannheim, DE – SAP Arena
Wed, June 22, 2022 – Athens, GR – Release Athens 2022 Festival
Thu, June 30, 2022 - Barcelona, ES – Rock Fest Barcelona
Thu, July 21, 2022 - Vila Nova de Famalicão - PT – Laurus Nobilis Music Fest

More news are on bands facebook profile 16 November kl. 09:58 ·
----

apos;'
[image]
21.03.2022 - 09:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]
15.07.2022 - 13:02
heavyriffs
Account deleted
I was listening to Manowar when I was a kid and I liked it. But when I listen to them now, it's not as good as I thought.
16.07.2022 - 07:29
Joppe
Steelemeister
----
My vision is augmented
16.07.2022 - 12:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Joppe on 16.07.2022 at 07:29

Former Manowarrior KARL LOGAN sentenced to five and a half years in prison https://blabbermouth.net/news/former-manowar-guitarist-karl-logan-sentenced-to-five-and-a-half-years-in-prison-for-downloading-child-porn

Why not use ubb code url
----

apos;'
[image]