Metal Storm logo
Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Original post

Posted by Soliloquy, 03.06.2006 - 03:26
this is an odd metal band. reason why its odd is becuase, though this band is metal, its more famous among the non-metal-heads than with metal-heads. we had a topic on them during the last Forum, but it didnt really have many posts. but i wanna promote the band, so here we go:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra, an american band that plays orchestral/progressive/classical metal. most of the time they play/cover Ludwig van Beethoven's music, and metalize them. to date, they have 4 albums out. 3 of them are talking about christmas, and i believe are concept albums. and the 3rd album is talking about the life/death/the legend, beethoven.

the band members come from various different bands like Savatage, Jon Olivia's Pain, Megadeth, Circle II Circle. and have connections to bands like Aerosmith, Humble Pie and Scorpions. so you can see, the band has tons of different musical influences in them. with each album, they have tons and tons of different musicians, forexample, the pop singer Jewel. and they often have around 60 orchestral members in the studio. yes, 60, which butchers the 24 lineup that Haggard has. and their live crew include 14 vocalists, 14 musicians, and 2 narrators. key word being narrators, which isnt common is that many metal bands.

although, i only have their Beethoven's Last Night(which is talking about Beethoven's last night, the release of his 10th symphony, and how he made a deal with the devil, and even his defness....), i have heard almost all of thier songs from either the radio, or on the DVD that some non-metal-head friends of mine gave me, and other stuff.

and if you guys are musicians, try playing some of their stuff. sure, they cover beethoven, but they use a bit different notes than beethoven. you need tons of speed on some of their songs, so heads up on cramped hands.

and as of early 2005, they have been working on another non-christmas album called Nightcastle, which would be, i think talking about Carl Orff, becuase they showed a preview of the song O Fortuna in one of their concerts...and the original song is, no not done by Therion(although that was an awsome cover) but Carl Orff...and his set of 1000 poems or something called Carmina Burana. but they said that the album should be out by around mid 2007. so it takes them about, literally 2 and a half years to make an album. i can hardly wait for that

anywyas, what do you guys think of the band? like them? hate them? what albums do you have by them? saw them live? i heard they are awsome live. and they go on a north american tour(including, or excluding Mexico, im not sure) around every christmas.
21.12.2006 - 05:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
So, has anyone seen them yet? I saw them for free and it was a really good performance, which I explained in the concert thread.
21.12.2006 - 05:28
Soliloquy

you saw them for free...? how does that work?

and i couldnt. i had an exam the next day, so a concert was completly out of the question. pity though. but oh well, they have a north american tour every year for the last 5 years. i'm sur ethey'll have one next year.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
21.12.2006 - 05:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
My friend's mom had an extra ticket and gave it to me. I'll be sure to go again next year, whether its free or not.
21.12.2006 - 07:08
WindMyth
Account deleted
I heard of them when I wasn't in Metal.
They are really cool, relax music but well.. I don't consider them real Metal, more like Sympho/Clasic Rock =S
04.05.2007 - 22:48
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I really like this band, really original imo, and quite artistic.
I listened first "Beethoven's Last Night" and I liked it, but then with "The Lost Christmas Eve" I just fell in love with their music
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
05.05.2007 - 00:58
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Great band. I only have The Lost Christmas Eve, very good CD to put on during the holidays. Plus, seen them twice live, just ace.
23.11.2007 - 21:57
Bararey
Winter is Coming
I was able to see them live this year. True, the tickets are pricey, but the show was almost 3 hours long non-stop. The light show was great, and the music was very entertaining, they usually play in big arenas and the one I went to in San Jose was almost packed, all the general admission and lower sections were full and the upper section was almost full. And apparently there is a west coast tour and an east coast tour, which explains shows on the same day.

The crowd is another matter, it is the exact crowd you see in a mall, which I thought was a bit weird, there were dressed up people, tie and all, causal dressed people, I saw emo kids, families with very young children, and the minority of the audience was of course the metalheads, there were so few amidst the thousands of people there.

And I have to agree, people there have no idea who Al Pitrelli is, they just know that TSO is a great Christmas band, that's all.

I had the misfortune of sitting next to a stuck up lady who barely clapped her hands and every time I cheered the band she seemed annoyed, which kinda encouraged to cheer louder and louder every time
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
24.11.2007 - 00:02
bucky01403
Account deleted
Seeing them in December, can't wait.
24.11.2007 - 01:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'll be missing them this year, but I'm not too worried about it. They're fun to see, but I think they're overhyped. I'd rather hear a full orchestra instead of like...four violinists and two keyboardists.
12.04.2008 - 20:49
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
I bought The Christmas attic cd last year and i use to listen it in winter, it's amazing how Jon Oliva can create and refresh music. One question: Is Alex skolnick and Al Pitrelli in the band?
26.09.2008 - 00:06
Bas
Retired Staff
does anyone know if their second non-christmas albums is ever going to happen?

i soooo love beethovens last night, it's one of my alltime favourite albums, has some really beautiful moments in it

although i see them more as a mordern band of classical music (or a neo-classical band if you like) with some metal elements than as a symphonic metal band...
(judging only beethovens last night now though)
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
29.09.2008 - 22:07
Soliloquy

Written by Bas on 26.09.2008 at 00:06

does anyone know if their second non-christmas albums is ever going to happen?

i soooo love beethovens last night, it's one of my alltime favourite albums, has some really beautiful moments in it

although i see them more as a mordern band of classical music (or a neo-classical band if you like) with some metal elements than as a symphonic metal band...
(judging only beethovens last night now though)

they are throwing teasers at every other concerts now a days. they usually end it with oh-fortuna by carl orff. and if you read your TSO stuff, then you'll know taht the upcoming album is about carl orff and what not. they pushed the release date from summer of 2008 to summer of 2009. i'm guessing the album is 90% done, but due to jon oliva being a crazy perfectionist, it keeps getting delayed.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
29.09.2008 - 22:11
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Soliloquy on 29.09.2008 at 22:07

they are throwing teasers at every other concerts now a days. they usually end it with oh-fortuna by carl orff. and if you read your TSO stuff, then you'll know taht the upcoming album is about carl orff and what not. they pushed the release date from summer of 2008 to summer of 2009. i'm guessing the album is 90% done, but due to jon oliva being a crazy perfectionist, it keeps getting delayed.

but hey, if the result is perfect you wont see me complaining

thanks for the info
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
28.10.2009 - 19:20
MeloDeathViking

The new album is pretty good. If you enjoy their other albums, then you will most likely enjoy this one as well. Just be warned, they don't depart much from their previous efforts, so no much new stuff going on. All of that said, I really enjoy it for the non-Christmas aspect. Gives me more than just their Beethoven album to listen to the rest of the year.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott