Metal Storm logo
Favorite Death Metal Drummer

Original post

Posted by Dangerboner, 03.06.2006 - 06:28
I chose Kevin Talley. His work in Dying Fetus is quite amazing. He can go from insane blast beats and instantly change and play a technical beat. His best stuff is in Grotesque Impalement.

Poll

Who is your favorite?

Inferno (Behemoth)
Other
Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel)
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy)
Tony Laureano (ex-Nile)
Derek Roddy (ex-Hate Eternal)
Kevin Talley (ex-Dying Fetus)
Tim Yeung (Vital Remains/Decrepit Birth)
David Haley (Psycroptic)

Total votes: 147
07.01.2008 - 07:43
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Tony Laureano is one of the greatest!!! I just love Nile!
14.01.2008 - 02:13
Ill Info Liquid
Account deleted
I would have to say Flo Mounier because he learned on Jazz and that's some complicated complex shit to play. He's also won the Montreal Drumfest Couple times...

He's just got so much tchnicality and skill and he Incorporates it (Technicality and Jazz) in all genres...If I had to pick some else from the lt would choose Tim Yeng....
14.01.2008 - 04:58
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
This was a tough choice between Inferno and Flo Mounier, they're both excellent drummers in excellent bands. But i went with Flo because i think his beats are more varied and his drum solo on the live cd is just amazing period. Nonetheless, tough choice, i would've put the drummer of Suffocation in the poll also, he's very impressive.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
14.01.2008 - 05:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah, I wish I could replace "other" with Mike Smith :/
15.01.2008 - 01:50
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
For me, I really dig Ed Warby. Hit fills are the tightest I have ever heard. It is sad that not alot of people know him.
----
(space for rent)
15.01.2008 - 14:12
Cookies Upstairs
Account deleted
Other: Macabre's "Dennis The Menace". This guy is out of this world and his feet are pure gold, greatest metal drummer ever, no matter what sub-genre.
15.01.2008 - 15:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 15.01.2008 at 01:50

For me, I really dig Ed Warby. Hit fills are the tightest I have ever heard. It is sad that not alot of people know him.

I would say Ed together with Ariën van Weesenbeek are THE best death metal drummers around, for not only are they great at playing death metal, but they can play anythign they want. And don't rely on sheer pace and brutality like most of the ones mentioned in the poll, who are very limited and just appreciated because of speed where they lack groove (which IMO is an ESSENTIAL part in drumming in general and death metal drumming specifically)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.01.2008 - 16:12
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.01.2008 at 15:06

I would say Ed together with Ariën van Weesenbeek are THE best death metal drummers around, for not only are they great at playing death metal, but they can play anythign they want. And don't rely on sheer pace and brutality like most of the ones mentioned in the poll, who are very limited and just appreciated because of speed where they lack groove (which IMO is an ESSENTIAL part in drumming in general and death metal drumming specifically)

Yeah, it was actually Ed's non-Death Metal music I heard first. I was so impressed with his playing. As a Progressive Rock drummer, he really impressed me to the point where I would rank him along side Scott Rockenfield. Then I heard his Death Metal work and it blew me away. You're so right, it is not about just being the fastest. Every note hit he made was timed just right and had a very specific purpose. It is not just an aural onslaught.

Now, I don't know Ariën van Weesenbeek, who is he with?
----
(space for rent)
15.01.2008 - 16:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 15.01.2008 at 16:12

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.01.2008 at 15:06

Now, I don't know Ariën van Weesenbeek, who is he with?

God Dethroned and now also full-time with Epica (he drummed on their latest album)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.02.2008 - 21:03
cadenz
Gene Hoglan's my pick. Amazing technique, amazing attitude, amazing groove, amazing innovativity. Simply amazing overall!
18.11.2008 - 17:14
Demigodc
I think the song Slaves Shall Serve is reason enough to vote for Inferno.
06.04.2009 - 03:32
Endoftherainbow
I think I'm going to change my vote from Flo to Kevin Talley just because Destroy the Opposition has pretty much the best drums on any death metal album ever recorded.
07.04.2009 - 12:41
Beowulf
I have to say Tony Laureano, Nile is fuckin awesome
07.04.2009 - 13:57
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Pete COMMANDO is the fuckin best from those mentioned. but IMO the best generally is GEORGE KOLIAS from NILE! this guy is unnatural...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
14.04.2009 - 00:44
Glower
Tony Laureano, but Inferno would have been a good choice as well ;]
15.04.2009 - 23:04
sq_xeper
I chose Pete COMANDO Sandoval 'cause his work has influenced a lot of DM drummers over the whole world with albums like Altars of Madness, World Downfall and all of his catalogue although I think the most extravagant DM drummer is Flo Mounier 'cause he uses this monstrous drum kit and only he can use it at its full capacity. My 5 favourites are: Pete Sandoval, Tony Laureano, Flo Mounier, George Kollias and Derek Roddy
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
15.06.2009 - 18:04
TormentoR.
From THE LIST i gave vote to Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel) - the question is favourite, so.. from this list definetly Pete Commando lml + hes the best from these, but actually if talking bout the best drummer, then George Kollias is my no.1 and then Pete.
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
25.07.2009 - 02:09
wormdrink414
Elite
George Kollias should be listed but I have to go with Inferno. I had a chance to tell him that he is the greatest drummer of all time (for I am a major kiss ass) and he claimed that no one had ever told him that. So that's me 1, the world 0.
01.02.2010 - 04:55
thewall30
Flo Mounier is a monster! I voted for him, George Kollias is also very amazing...
----
01.02.2010 - 07:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by wormdrink414 on 25.07.2009 at 02:09

George Kollias should be listed but I have to go with Inferno. I had a chance to tell him that he is the greatest drummer of all time (for I am a major kiss ass) and he claimed that no one had ever told him that. So that's me 1, the world 0.

Look at when the poll was made, and then look at what George had done at that time - not much at all.

His drumming on the new Nile album is good, but I thought he sounded lame on Itchyphallus. I think Tony L beats him easily
03.02.2010 - 00:13
Pete Sandoval is my favourite, influential and I just enjoy hearing his drumming.

I got to see Inferno do a solo 8 days ago and it was pretty damn incredible
03.02.2010 - 00:41
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Marco Minnemann, the guy who toured with Necrophagist, and was with Kreator for a bit too. He's just awesome.
07.05.2010 - 18:18
JD
Account deleted
Vitek (Decapitated)!! R.I.P
06.07.2010 - 12:12
ExtraHachse
Inferno
----
I like Powerwolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
04.08.2011 - 16:44
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Flo Mounier for me. Whenever I listen to Cryptopsy, I feel like he's slamming my brain.