Metal Storm logo
Chuck Schuldiner VS Dave Mustaine

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 15.10.2007 - 21:51
In a conversation with a friend who used to be obsessed with Megadeth, he was saying how Chuck could kick Dave's ass in a guitar battle. I have heard both their work, I honestly think that both are capable of playing eachothers work within their skill levels.

Poll

Who is more skillful at the guitar back before Chuck died?

Chuck Schuldiner
Dave Mustaine

Total votes: 299
03.07.2008 - 21:03
Elio
Red Nightmare
slightly prefer chuck...both great guitarists anyway
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
01.10.2008 - 11:33
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Dave Mustain without Doubt. I liked the question! BEFORE CHUCK DIED!!! casue I think if he wasnt dead now dave had a lot more votes than him.
02.10.2008 - 02:29
Guib
Thrash Talker
Mahaha.. No Doubt .. Chuck Schuldiner !

I Mean.. this guy's not only a guitarist.. hes a pure god

1. The Band he created isn't only due to Anger Management problems
2. He's way more technical than Dave is
3. He was innovative not only some kind of follower
4. He died at a level of technic any guitarist would like to reach
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.10.2008 - 03:43
Demonmayonnaise

Written by Guest on 01.10.2008 at 11:33

Dave Mustain without Doubt. I liked the question! BEFORE CHUCK DIED!!! casue I think if he wasnt dead now dave had a lot more votes than him.

That is far from true. Chuck isnt winning because he's dead. Now I think that questions like this one are pretty much opinion. I personally like Chuck more, but thats my opinion, I dont think that its a fact. And for the record, if you died, I wouldnt vote for you.
05.10.2008 - 00:27
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 02.10.2008 at 03:43

Written by Guest on 01.10.2008 at 11:33

That is far from true. Chuck isnt winning because he's dead. Now I think that questions like this one are pretty much opinion. I personally like Chuck more, but thats my opinion, I dont think that its a fact. And for the record, if you died, I wouldnt vote for you.

...LoL i bet it had to be back before chuck died j/k
chuck is winning because he was a great guitarrist and there's no other guy like him...if he was still alive i bet he would still be one of the greatest guitar players of all times...i admire him alot and he is the godfather of death metal, can't compete with that imo, no one like him...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
05.10.2008 - 13:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Well, I actually DO think that Chuck is winning cause he died. When ZCHuck was still alive you didn't hear that many people going on about he great he was. But then he died and all of a sudden he was idolised (same as Dimebag Darrell btw)
And y thread that has a dead person vs a live person the dead one wins. It would be fairer to have a poll between dead people
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.10.2008 - 18:51
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well actually... i always prefered Chuck.. i do like Mustain but yeah i prefer Chuck's Music.. its not a question of Him being dead... O.o.. hes just good i mean wtf ?
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.10.2008 - 19:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guib on 05.10.2008 at 18:51

Well actually... i always prefered Chuck.. i do like Mustain but yeah i prefer Chuck's Music.. its not a question of Him being dead... O.o.. hes just good i mean wtf ?

exactly. what does it have to do with him being dead. he was writing some unique stuff, which many people loved and still love.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
05.10.2008 - 20:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I don't deny he is good, what I am saying is that people have made him into some sort of God since he is dead. People are even saying that Chuck INVENTED death metal. My God... yes he was one of the first but there were more at the same time playing that sort of music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.10.2008 - 02:10
Guib
Thrash Talker
Ok but chuck is still the best one isn't he ?
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.10.2008 - 11:21
zeusys

Chuck , God of Metal
14.10.2008 - 19:42
Branzig

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.10.2008 at 20:36

I don't deny he is good, what I am saying is that people have made him into some sort of God since he is dead. People are even saying that Chuck INVENTED death metal. My God... yes he was one of the first but there were more at the same time playing that sort of music.

But that is one of the true ironies in life. Many people spend entire portions of their lives working on something that is unique, and in turn they are criticized for it and un-popular for going against the norm. Then they die, start to rot, and then, and only then do people start to take notice. Chuck is a great example of this. Don't get me wrong, I am huge fan of Death and Chuck, but I myself noticed a huge increase in popularity AFTER he died. But that is expected, look at Dimebag, I noticed the sort of scenario with him, a lot of people thought he was decent and that Pantera was cool, but Phil was the real star, then Pantera breaks up, Dime dies, now he is a legend. Life is a strange trip...haha
----
In Grind We Crust
22.10.2008 - 00:08
Murder

Well... I love Death and Megadeth, but I love Death more XD!! and I like to hear both guitarrist...

Chuck Schuldiner without doubt... he was more skilled, more thechnical, and he innovate himself always... Chuck is GOD!!!
22.10.2008 - 00:30
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Personally, I, too, think that Chuck is winning simply becuase he's dead. It's hard not to give the bennifit of the doubt to the dead. Most people are incapable of seperating themselves from a bias and making their decision completely fair. By the way @Guib: By no means is Dave Mustain "Simply a Follower."

This decision is incredibally hard for me, because I basically worship both of them. I look up to both of them as musicians and strive to be like them. In the end, even removing that outlook, I don't think I can vote, because of a few simple facts.

-On technical level, Chuck may have been better, but the style of each guitarist is equally unique.
-Both helped to create as well as innovate two of the most pivitol subgenres of metal.
-Both are lyrical genius's
-Both are vocally unique.

In the end, for me, it's a tie. No vote here.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
23.10.2008 - 17:44
Guib
Thrash Talker
Arian sorry there wasn't really talking bout Dave when i said that... Just said he wasn't a follower... lol
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.11.2008 - 13:57
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Arian Totalis on 22.10.2008 at 00:30

Personally, I, too, think that Chuck is winning simply becuase he's dead. It's hard not to give the bennifit of the doubt to the dead.

-On technical level, Chuck may have been better, but the style of each guitarist is equally unique.
-Both helped to create as well as innovate two of the most pivitol subgenres of metal.

The original post asks to compare them before Chucks death. So till then Chuck was absolutely perfect. I believe Mustaine was much smaller.
-On technical level, Chuck surely has been better, but the style of each guitarist is equally unique (Chuck created the form/base of guitar playing at Death metal - Slayer at thrash).
-Both helped to create as well as innovate two of the most pivitol subgenres of metal.agree..
-Both are lyrical genius's= I like Mustains lyrics but find them some times very mainstream and easy to create.
-Both are vocally unique= no man when I first heard Mustaine I thought he sounded like Halford.. He just does the same thing..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
06.11.2008 - 05:33
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Deadmeat on 05.11.2008 at 13:57

Personally, I, too, think that Chuck is winning simply becuase he's dead. It's hard not to give the bennifit of the doubt to the dead.

The original post asks to compare them before Chucks death. So till then Chuck was absolutely perfect. I believe Mustaine was much smaller.
-On technical level, Chuck surely has been better, but the style of each guitarist is equally unique (Chuck created the form/base of guitar playing at Death metal - Slayer at thrash).
-Both helped to create as well as innovate two of the most pivitol subgenres of metal.agree..
-Both are lyrical genius's= I like Mustains lyrics but find them some times very mainstream and easy to create.
-Both are vocally unique= no man when I first heard Mustaine I thought he sounded like Halford.. He just does the same thing..

I understand that the poll asks that the decision be made based on the observation that we Judge before the death of Schuldiner, but if you payed attention to my whole post, then you would see that I say " Most people are incapable of seperating themselves from a bias and making their decision completely fair." So you see, I don't think that just because the poll says that it should be that way, that it neceserrily will be.

Slayer did not invent the standard playing style for thrash. They didn't release their first official recorded Material untill december 1983, which was their debut album, "Show no Mercy." Metallica released 2 EP's in 1982, the live recording "Metal up your ass" and "Jump in the Fire." On top of that, Metallica's debut album "Kill em' All" was released in July 1983. Dave Mustain was on the recording for the two 1982 EP's, so Technically Dave is more influential to the development of the thrash style than slayer is, because he was with first thrash band when they put out their first recordings. This also means that Dave holds equivillency with Chuck in influence in his subgenre.

Dave's Lyrics COULD be said to be Mainstream and easy to create in some Instances, but then again, early Death lyrics were incredibally cheesy, and equally easy to create. As for later Death lyrics, that comes down to a matter of perspective. I like both lyrical styles equallly, but if I were to play devil's advocate here I could say that Chuck's later lyrics were just sort of whiny and too riddled with metaphors and symbolism for any of it to really make sense in a way that most people could relate to. At the very least Dave could write political lyrics and make enough of a difference in contemporary society to where people did something about what pissed them off. This of course isn't my honest opinion, but I'm making an alternative point.

Dave Mustain sounds nothink like Rob Halford.....nothing. Dave couldn't shriek like Rob if he tried, and he doesn't have nearly the vocal range as Rob. Dave's voice has more of a pissed off sort of air about it, and Rob's is more powerful and Sing-songy. Tell me again, how the hell does he sound like Rob Halford? How does Hanger 18 sound anything like Diamonds and Rust?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

06.11.2008 - 05:36
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guib on 23.10.2008 at 17:44

Arian sorry there wasn't really talking bout Dave when i said that... Just said he wasn't a follower... lol

It's cool
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

06.11.2008 - 05:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Arian Totalis on 06.11.2008 at 05:33

Metallica released 2 EP's in 1982, the live recording "Metal up your ass" and "Jump in the Fire."

No they did NOT. Metal Up Your Ass is a live bootleg released first on vinyl and only much later on cassette after Kill 'em All and Jump In the Fire though an official release was realeased in 1984 AFTER Kill 'em All (I got the original vinyl version here)

In 1982 they released two demos of which ONE was onyl readily available. Power Metal and No Life Till Leather (the one readily available)

Quote:

On top of that, Metallica's debut album "Kill em' All" was released in July 1983. Dave Mustain was on the recording for the two 1982 EP's,

Dave DOES play on Metal Up Your Ass (but like I said that is a bootleg) and he is NOT featured on Jump In The Fire.

But I DO agree that Dave is more influential than Slayer...

Just had to some facts straight. Cause of MA (Metal-Archives) and donwloading (with wrong tagging) people get the wiesrdest ideas about this sort of stuff.

About the guy saying that Dave sounds like Halford... the guys must be deaf, sorry how the hell can one compare a shrieker like Halfrod to a nasal duck like voice such as Mustaine's? King Diamond sounds more like Halford than Mustaine would ever do.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2008 - 10:50
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

Written by Deadmeat on 05.11.2008 at 13:57

I understand that the poll asks that the decision be made based on the observation that we Judge before the death of Schuldiner, but if you payed attention to my whole post, then you would see that I say " Most people are incapable of seperating themselves from a bias and making their decision completely fair." So you see, I don't think that just because the poll says that it should be that way, that it neceserrily will be.

Slayer did not invent the standard playing style for thrash. They didn't release their first official recorded Material untill december 1983, which was their debut album, "Show no Mercy." Metallica released 2 EP's in 1982, the live recording "Metal up your ass" and "Jump in the Fire." On top of that, Metallica's debut album "Kill em' All" was released in July 1983. Dave Mustain was on the recording for the two 1982 EP's, so Technically Dave is more influential to the development of the thrash style than slayer is, because he was with first thrash band when they put out their first recordings. This also means that Dave holds equivillency with Chuck in influence in his subgenre.

Dave's Lyrics COULD be said to be Mainstream and easy to create in some Instances, but then again, early Death lyrics were incredibally cheesy, and equally easy to create. As for later Death lyrics, that comes down to a matter of perspective. I like both lyrical styles equallly, but if I were to play devil's advocate here I could say that Chuck's later lyrics were just sort of whiny and too riddled with metaphors and symbolism for any of it to really make sense in a way that most people could relate to. At the very least Dave could write political lyrics and make enough of a difference in contemporary society to where people did something about what pissed them off. This of course isn't my honest opinion, but I'm making an alternative point.

Dave Mustain sounds nothink like Rob Halford.....nothing. Dave couldn't shriek like Rob if he tried, and he doesn't have nearly the vocal range as Rob. Dave's voice has more of a pissed off sort of air about it, and Rob's is more powerful and Sing-songy. Tell me again, how the hell does he sound like Rob Halford? How does Hanger 18 sound anything like Diamonds and Rust?

about the inventors of thrash sure are Venom. I just said that thrash metal as it sounds today it is very influenced from early Slayer. Surely more than metallica or Megadeth.
about lyrics OK everyone has his opinion. I accept that Chucks first lyrics are easy to create but for me are very good in that style.
about vocals now. WTF I don't compare Mustaine with Halford... OMG.. I appreciate very much Halford to do that. I appreciate Mustaine too but not so much. I just believe when Mustaine started singing that style he had on mind to sound similar to Halford...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
06.11.2008 - 10:51
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.11.2008 at 05:49

Metallica released 2 EP's in 1982, the live recording "Metal up your ass" and "Jump in the Fire."

No they did NOT. Metal Up Your Ass is a live bootleg released first on vinyl and only much later on cassette after Kill 'em All and Jump In the Fire though an official release was realeased in 1984 AFTER Kill 'em All (I got the original vinyl version here)

In 1982 they released two demos of which ONE was onyl readily available. Power Metal and No Life Till Leather (the one readily available)

Quote:

On top of that, Metallica's debut album "Kill em' All" was released in July 1983. Dave Mustain was on the recording for the two 1982 EP's,

Dave DOES play on Metal Up Your Ass (but like I said that is a bootleg) and he is NOT featured on Jump In The Fire.

But I DO agree that Dave is more influential than Slayer...

Just had to some facts straight. Cause of MA (Metal-Archives) and donwloading (with wrong tagging) people get the wiesrdest ideas about this sort of stuff.

About the guy saying that Dave sounds like Halford... the guys must be deaf, sorry how the hell can one compare a shrieker like Halfrod to a nasal duck like voice such as Mustaine's? King Diamond sounds more like Halford than Mustaine would ever do.

WTF I don't compare Mustaine with Halford... OMG.. I appreciate very much Halford to do that. I appreciate Mustaine too but not so much. I just believe when Mustaine started singing that style he had on mind to sound similar to Halford...
----
06.11.2008 - 14:19
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, this poll is only about the guitar mastery, but since you have brought Halford in, I think that Chuck has more to do with him than Dave. Remember that awesome Painkiller cover Death made on their last record and that awesome voice Chuck was producing. That's freaking Halford!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.12.2008 - 12:44
Koen Smits

Both extreme good guitarists, but I prefer Chuck for his progressive approach of metal.
----
RIP: Frank Vandenbroucke (6 nov 1974 - 12 oct 2009)

Written by Bad English on 05.04.2014 at 15:05

but spoil thius film is like spoil porn and say porn ends whit cum shot ...
08.12.2008 - 14:10
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Im 100% agree with Marcerl. always the dead ones win the polls! specially if their bands were a little famous. I like Chuck, I dont say that he was a bad guitarist. I have problem with Dead-Worshiping Habit!

And Im absolutely agree with Marcel when he said : "its better to compare dead ones" for example:

Dimebag Darrell vs Chuck Schuldiner

PS:Today is Dim's Deathday. nice otherside I wish for him.
09.12.2008 - 10:23
Eeric
Account deleted
I would say that Dave is better. He may be not be as technical as Chuck but his riffs and solos are like best.
15.12.2008 - 11:34
BrightNight

My ears tell me chuck is way more techincal and improved himself every new album. He's also a more emotional guitarplayer/songwriter as you can hear in his music. Also he touched me greatly with his music.

Ofcourse Dave Mustain is a hell of a guitarplayer and riffer.....but there are some more players with that kind of skills...Chuck is and was unique.

Chuck Schuldiner is one of the most unique guitarplayers in the world, period. Dave is not. (my oppinion).
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
15.12.2008 - 20:26
Luciferion

Voted Mustaine, though i hate him personally (due to horrid live shows done by him), I will give him a nod that he is a ridiculous Guitarist
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
17.12.2008 - 06:14
XAV_METALOGIST

Chuck Schuldiner ... Because he sing and he leads ... Dave mustaine doesn't lead ... a little bit but not like chuck ... in my opinion ... but holy wars solo still great
17.12.2008 - 22:14
bierdukhelmsplit
Account deleted
Chuck by a long shot. Dave Mustaine is a much better riffologist, but he isn't as great at leading.
27.12.2008 - 10:49
The Wretched Jim
Account deleted
Both have written some of my absolute favourite songs/albums of all time, but I"ll give the nod to Chuck.

Death never had a bad album, sure I like some better than others but they are all fantastic, Megadeth on the other hand have albums I love, albums that are o.k, and a few that are just downright fucking terrible.

Really saddens me to think that Chuck is no longer with us.