Metal Storm logo
Helloween vs Gamma Ray

Original post

Posted by selken, 22.10.2007 - 19:36
Helloween and Gamma Ray are for me (and maybe for many people) the peak of both german and world's Power metal genre, product of the masterminds Hansen and Weikath. I first discovered Helloween, then GR, and when I discovered them, I felt like if I found a long time lost sound. the great voice of Hansen again. But Helloween has their stuff too, always experimenting with music, making for me one of the most innovative bands ever.
Both with kind of similar sounds yet with a notable unique style, this bands deserve to have an epic battle, so post your comments!!!!.

BTW I'm quite impressed because of this thread didn't existed before, maybe everybody thought that such a thread already existed

Poll

Yes, what's your favorite?

Helloween
Gamma Ray
Can't Choose!!!!

Total votes: 168
15.02.2008 - 23:03
iaberis
Advice Troll
I vote for the Helloween era with Kai Hansen in the team!
Kai was one of the masterminds, so when he left and made his own band, then both bands were something "half" if you get what I mean. Gamma Ray will always be a step bellow and Helloween always be lacking Kai...
----
Bitch! Please
20.02.2008 - 19:20
Mustis
Account deleted
Gamma Ray!!!!!! the last album was awesome, Helloween its great too but for sure i like more Gamma Ray
11.03.2008 - 18:49
H-MetalHamster

You may not say that Helloween and Gamma ray are that similar, if fact no band is similar to Helloween. They have so much diffrent materials and still its Power metal. Gamma Ray with Kai gives 100% for the kind of "pure power metal" that made helloween so famous in the keeper era. If I just could listen to ONE band, i would choose Helloween, you never get tired at their stuff because its so much. Therefore, my vote goes to Helloween
14.03.2008 - 14:58
Metal_Militia

//I say Helloween because both of the Keeper of The Seven Keys albums are timeless and while Gamma is no slouch, i dont think they have any classinc timeless albums like Helloween//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

14.03.2008 - 22:46
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I agree with the classic, timeless aspect of the Keeper 7 albums, and I enjoy most of Helloween's other releases that I own. Gamma Ray is cool, but I definitely prefer Helloween...
16.04.2008 - 22:28
Galluskas

I like both bands but if I have to choose between them its Gamma Ray! I love pure power metal and helloween in my opinion has music that is harder to take in but its alright! Howewer Power metal for life homies!:D
23.05.2008 - 10:21
Trinstar

THIS is possibly the toughest decision I've seen yet. Helloween with Kiske's soaring vocals has a slight edge, but Hansen's vocals were infinitely better with Gamma Ray than pre-Kiske Helloween. Also, I love Gamma Ray's diversity: no two songs are the same, which is VERY unusual in the power metal genre. Man... hmm.

*Meditates*

I'm going with Helloween! For one simple reason:
YAAAHHH! It's Helloween! YAAAHHH! It's Helloween! TONIGHT!!! So epic.
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
23.05.2008 - 10:23
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
helloween is little less gay than gamma. anyway if you want some power metal that is good go check old blind guardin or wintersun
18.08.2008 - 17:27
Iron Priest

Written by Metalhead2 on 23.05.2008 at 10:23

helloween is little less gay than gamma. anyway if you want some power metal that is good go check old blind guardin or wintersun

wow thats a pretty damn rude thing to say. how did you even come up with a statement like that.

I'm going with Gamma Ray. It's an easy choice. Once helloween lost Kai it was like maiden losing harris. And as soon as kiske was gone, well lets face it helloween has never recovered. Gamma ray for me is one of two bands (and I listen to everything and everyone) that I can listen to every song over and over.

And as for GR having no classic albums:

I have to say Land of the Free holds a place in that category. after all It is one of the albums considered to have rejuvenated the metal scene.
24.08.2008 - 07:33
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i cant choose. i LOVE helloweens old stuff but i think gamma ray is making better music today than helloween, not to say that helloween is making bad music, i just think gamma ray is doing it better.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
05.09.2008 - 17:45
juanopereira

This is a hard decition to make but I prefer Gamma Ray (for a little)
11.11.2008 - 21:17
JÄY
Metal slave
This ones tough for me because I like Kai in Gammaray better than Helloween, but Kai and Kiske together was gold....Keeper was better than any Gamma ray album, but most GR albums are better than majority of Helloween's.

uhhh

uhhh

...can't choose!
26.08.2009 - 17:51
AngelCryGr

Helloween cause Gamma Ray's mainman has formed Helloween and created unforgettable music with them.
I'm talkin for Keepers of course.
----
Life's too short to cry
long enough to try
26.08.2009 - 17:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Gamma Ray because i like their music better
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.08.2009 - 06:00
Hanyuchan

Helloween! Michael Kiske's amazing voice combined with the astounding guitar work makes them the 2nd greatest power metal band in my opinion, next to Kamelot. And Andi Deris ain't that bad either/
06.09.2009 - 12:51
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
This is a tough one. I used to like Helloween better, up until their concert, with GR as guests. Needless to say, I was very disappointed at Helloween's performance, while Gamma Ray rocked the night.
I'll choose the "Can't choose!" choice.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
24.09.2009 - 03:10
BuzzPhil

Helloween is awesome, one of the founders of Power... But my personnal taste says : "TAKE GAMMA RAY" So... Gamma Ray got my vote!!
24.09.2009 - 23:30
King_Nothing

My vote goes for Gamma Ray. they're just amazing
30.09.2009 - 13:58
ToMegaTherion

A tough choice, Helloween I vote for. Some excellent work in their history.
08.10.2009 - 04:55
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Gamma Ray is more musical that helloween. i like kai hansons progression with gamma ray.
09.12.2009 - 02:15
DoomGuard

I chose Gamma Ray over Helloween after a hard quiet debate...very difficult, but in the end I gotta say i enjoy Gamma Ray more
11.05.2011 - 18:53
avigruss

Gamma Ray! I do not like Helloween
11.05.2011 - 18:56
avigruss

I prefer the epic style of Gamma Ray
12.05.2011 - 22:34
Metal Invader

Helloween..!
30.06.2011 - 22:36
Damshak

Helloween
The voice of Kai Hansen is better than in Gamma Ray
21.08.2011 - 21:25
GammaRayForever

The original Keeeper discs have a classic style that Gamma Ray lack, but I still like Gamma Ray better
Anyways, Kai Hansen is a musical genious
10.03.2012 - 15:52
Infernal Eternal

Simple: Gamma Ray. They made some really good albums while Helloween after Kai Hansen's departure released only pure shit. Just think that I Want Out, the band's most well-known song, was written by Hansen because he was put too much pressure by the other band members.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
11.03.2012 - 21:20
Metal Invader

Written by Infernal Eternal on 10.03.2012 at 15:52

Simple: Gamma Ray. They made some really good albums while Helloween after Kai Hansen's departure released only pure shit. Just think that I Want Out, the band's most well-known song, was written by Hansen because he was put too much pressure by the other band members.

well i dont know that Time Of The Oath,Gambling With The Devil and 7 Sinners are pure shit and To The Metal and Land Of The Free 2 is a masterpice..and the pressure was not just becose atmosfere in the band..Kai said in latest interview that he left because he was young and could not cope with so much glory and long tours to..still you have right to your own opinion..peace!
12.03.2012 - 19:42
Infernal Eternal

Written by Metal Invader on 11.03.2012 at 21:20

well i dont know that Time Of The Oath,Gambling With The Devil and 7 Sinners are pure shit and To The Metal and Land Of The Free 2 is a masterpice..and the pressure was not just becose atmosfere in the band..Kai said in latest interview that he left because he was young and could not cope with so much glory and long tours to..still you have right to your own opinion..peace!

This is the most polite reply I've ever seen in MS.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
12.03.2012 - 22:03
Metal Invader

Written by Infernal Eternal on 12.03.2012 at 19:42

Written by Metal Invader on 11.03.2012 at 21:20

This is the most polite reply I've ever seen in MS.

haha..thanx! i just think that these two arguments that you wrote are not so strong..no reasons for bad words!
Hope i win a prize for politest reply here enjoy