02. Blót - Lohen Der Opferung
03. An Den Pforten Des Sturmes
04. Gebaren Des Sterbens In Klanglosen Sphären
05. Sævar Niðr
06. Styrt Ned I Mælstraumen
07. Dusk Of The Fimbulwinter
08. Hehre Runen In Dämmer Und Eis
09. Gen Niflheim...

For a German Black Metal band singing about Norse Mythology, the intro of Drautran's début 'Throne Of The Depths' is rather mellow. A classic example of 'silence before the storm', as we are to discover soon. Acoustic guitars slowly lose their dominance in favour of a distorted riff, accompanied by humming choirs with the acoustic guitars still playing in the background. Then keyboards take the lead and Blutaar opens his throat of damnation. A strong intro which summarizes the two strengths of Drautran: variety and balance.

These two strengths are what will hopefully place them just a tad above the excessive heaps of average Black Metal releases that spread like the plague nowadays. With their cocktail of aggressive screams, chants and acoustic interludes they sound fresh amongst this plague. And with their song writing skills they sound overwhelming at one moment and allow the listener to grasp some fresh air the next.

Where the first half of the album is a bit more fast-paced and utilizes more keyboards to create more atmosphere, the second half (after the interlude) drops the tempo a bit and the atmosphere relies more on the guitar driven solos. As is more often the case in these genres, Throne Of The Depths has no obvious stand-out tracks, since it is the overall experience that matters.

For those who are seeking for a new band with a fresh sound, and don't care if it has been done a thousand times already, this is the band you are looking for! One interesting fact that I can share with you: one of the riffs in 'Hehre Runen In Dämmer Und Eis' is similar to a melody in the musical Jesus Christ Superstar.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 22.10.2007 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 48 users
23.10.2007 - 00:35
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
comment

lol nice review! i shall check them out
23.10.2007 - 00:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
haha thanks you should do that
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.10.2007 - 01:54
Bararey
Winter is Coming
So I went to their myspace page and gave a listen to the two tracks they have on it. I am no expert in BM, so when I say that I could not find what makes this band different from the rest of BM bands, it is purely out of not getting BM at all.
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
23.10.2007 - 02:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Bararey on 23.10.2007 at 01:54

So I went to their myspace page and gave a listen to the two tracks they have on it. I am no expert in BM, so when I say that I could not find what makes this band different from the rest of BM bands, it is purely out of not getting BM at all.

They aren't really much different in terms of being original or doing something unique, but they are a bit better.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.10.2007 - 22:38
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Short but efficient review. Good job. .

I'll have a look at their myspace page.
18.09.2009 - 11:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I only remember i listened to this album once...hadnt left impression...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 5408 | This month: 10