03. Schwarzer Frost
04. Baldr
05. Íss
06. Winter
07. Glámr
08. Hunta And Boga
09. Til Jarðar
10. Baldrs Draumar

With the wind violently raging, acoustic strumming across the sky, the drums beating in rhythm with the vikings and their bloodlust and a german voice uttering eerie words, the atmosphere is great from the start. The omens of Pagan Black Metal, a genre that I don't regularly listen to and therefore find hard to value, darken the sky. Helrunar is on the warpath!

Fans who like their metal black, and who can also appreciate a band like the Swedish Månegarm, should definitely give this a try. Eventhough Helrunar relies much more on Black Metal, the folk influences are definitely present. A plucked intro or a folkish riff here and there, but most of all the vocals that are schorching, relentless pagan screams. Nothing that hasn't been done before, but we cannot all be genius minds and innovators, right? Skald Draugir and his bandmates seem to have understood that and instead they focus on refining the old ideas. So they do what they do best: raging metal and dark atmospheres. When they are slowing down a bit, such as in "Hunta And Boga" (with a male choir) they also lose my attention a bit. Unfortunatly, at the end of the album the slower songs take over and they make the album drag on. A shame, since they started out fiercely.

Helrunar is a band that knows what it wants, and how it should be done. A strong album like "Baldr Ok Íss" is the result of such confidence. Fans of the aforementioned Månegarm and Pagan Black Metallers in general will not be disappointed by this release.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 23.10.2007 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 59 users
25.10.2007 - 02:31
VPeter

sounds nice, will give it a try soon.
25.10.2007 - 03:53
Hyvaarin

"Dickichtgott"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. Sounds like a band worth checking out, though .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
25.10.2007 - 12:39
Rating: 7
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Hyvaarin on 25.10.2007 at 03:53

"Dickichtgott"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. Sounds like a band worth checking out, though .

Yeah I'm wonderering what it means.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.10.2007 - 22:51
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted

"Dickichtgott"

It sounds as if you were saying "Dick ist Gott" with a hot potatoe in your mouth. Awesome .
27.10.2007 - 00:02
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.10.2007 at 22:51

"Dickichtgott"

It sounds as if you were saying "Dick ist Gott" with a hot potatoe in your mouth. Awesome .

It's only awesome if you think about it immaturely
02.11.2007 - 00:28
Rating: 7
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Lucas on 25.10.2007 at 12:39

"Dickichtgott"

Yeah I'm wonderering what it means.

Thicket god. Bunch of pervs

Oh yeah, and Grátr > Baldr Ok Íss
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
04.11.2007 - 08:59
TheGrandDevilry
Account deleted
I love this band and i cant wait to get this cd, they are brilliant |m|(>_<)|m|
31.12.2012 - 22:49
Aristarchos

I like this album. I'm glad they don't focus too much on the folk element, which is too common in this kind of music.
26.06.2019 - 12:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nice old school review whit metaphoric intro what I call derroz school, good band, review and music.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 7545 | This month: 5